ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Affordable Care Act , AHCA , donald trump , health care issues , health insurance issues , obamacare , Trumpcare

Old Today, 10:37 AM   #961
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I don't know that there is a specific executive order about ending subsidies. But the official White House spokesperson said it. Not everything involves an executive order from the president. It could be the secretary of HHS.
I'll try to keep an eye out for something that confirms this. It's been being talked about for a couple of years now, and it has pretty massive impacts.
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #962
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
You do realize this will kill people, right?

Is being "correct" so much more important than saving lives?
It's not going to kill anyone.

And yes, actually, being just and legal IS more important than saving lives. Heck, it's feasible that some good samaritan could rob a bank and use all the money to pay the hospital bills of those in need. Still illegal, still unjust, still not excusable. It's feasible that the government could forcibly take ownership of everything in the US, and could confiscate the earnings of every citizen, then use that money to save lives. That doesn't make it okay.

The ends don't justify the means.
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #963
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
President Trump on Monday blasted ObamaCare, saying it is "dead" and "finished."

"ObamaCare is finished. It's dead. It's gone," Trump said during a Cabinet meeting.

"You shouldn't even mention it, it's gone. There is no such thing as ObamaCare anymore. It is a ó and I said this years ago ó it's a concept that couldn't have worked."

Trump added that in the law's "best days," it couldn't have worked.
The comments come after the White House announced last week that it would end key payments to insurers selling ObamaCare plans.
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...macare-anymore

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #964
Argumemnon
World Maker

<unplugs tv> See? I told you that machine wouldn't work forever!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #965
Lurch
Thinker

Trump's breathless excitement over exclaiming the death of Obamacare reinforces my belief that his almost singular policy is the erasure of Obama from the National consciousness. Recklessly. To the detriment of the country. To the detriment of himself. Our new Ahab.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #966
Bob001
Philosopher

What Trump is up to:
Quote:
His main strategy is trying to prevent healthy people from entering the normal insurance market. The administration has all but stopped advertising the Obamacare insurance exchanges, which serve people who donít already have coverage. Absent this outreach, people who desperately need insurance ó the sick ó will dominate sign-ups, and prices will soar. Imagine if the life insurance market were dominated by people whoíd already turned 80.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/o...trumpcare.html

More:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/u...T.nav=top-news
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #967
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Okay, I'm gonna quibble. YEs, Trump is busy trying to destroy ACA. Yes, he's going about it in a reckless and negligent way with no consideration to the harm being done in the process...

But this quote is absurd. The advertising that is funded by the government has had very little impact on the market. And insurers advertise for open enrollment too. The government no longer funding this specific type of advertising is NOT going to destroy the market and leave only the sick signing up. Seriously, this is a ridiculous claim.

There's plenty of other things that can AND SHOULD be attacked with respect to the current administration's handling of ACA. This is a distraction from that.
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #968
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
<unplugs tv grandma's ventilator> See? I told you that machine wouldn't work forever!
edited to be more apropos
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #969
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Okay, I'm gonna quibble. YEs, Trump is busy trying to destroy ACA. Yes, he's going about it in a reckless and negligent way with no consideration to the harm being done in the process...

But this quote is absurd. The advertising that is funded by the government has had very little impact on the market. And insurers advertise for open enrollment too. The government no longer funding this specific type of advertising is NOT going to destroy the market and leave only the sick signing up. Seriously, this is a ridiculous claim.

There's plenty of other things that can AND SHOULD be attacked with respect to the current administration's handling of ACA. This is a distraction from that.

The story sets out many of those things. Maybe this is a more representative quote:
Quote:
Last week, the administration took several steps to deprive people of health insurance. In doing so, it has both a short-term goal (have the federal government do less to help vulnerable citizens) and a long-term goal (sabotage Obamacare, so that Congress can more easily repeal the law).
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/o...trumpcare.html

And this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/u...T.nav=top-news

But I think you're making a big mistake if you think advertising doesn't matter, especially in the face of dishonest political claims that "Obamacare is broken." Telling people who don't have insurance what's available and how to get it is about as basic as you can get, especially when there is an enrollment deadline. Watch any hour of prime-time TV and count how many minutes are paid advertising. You wanna claim it's not effective?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #970
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But I think you're making a big mistake if you think advertising doesn't matter, especially in the face of dishonest political claims that "Obamacare is broken." Telling people who don't have insurance what's available and how to get it is about as basic as you can get, especially when there is an enrollment deadline. Watch any hour of prime-time TV and count how many minutes are paid advertising. You wanna claim it's not effective?
I'm not saying that advertising doesn't matter. I'm saying that advertising paid for by the government is unnecessary.

Over the past several years, the government advertising has made no measurable difference in the volume of enrollments. The advertising was in a limited number of areas, and was quite expensive, and showed no actual increase in enrollments - it didn't generate lift. The insurers are advertising already, and will continue to do so - it's in their interests to bring in lower cost people, after all. The additional advertising in such a small footprint at such a large price is not a good use of funds.
Old Today, 06:11 PM   #971
Stacko
Philosopher

This is a very good observation paired with an excellent kicker.

Quote:
His single-minded obsession with dismantling the Affordable Care Act isnít an impulse that stems from some deeply held right wing ideology, but from his primitive desire to brutalize Obama, the person, in the public square. He sees the steady progress heís made rolling back Obama-era regulations and administrative action not as policy changes that will serve the public interest, or as legacy burnishing accomplishments in their own right, but as his most proximate means of needling a defenseless nemesis. Of owning Obama. Nay, of pwning him.

Perhaps Obama is highly insulted by all this pwnage. Thatís the fantasy anyhow. But as in Moscow four years ago (allegedly) Trump hasnít come around to the fact that the bed heís befouling isnít Obamaís anymore. Itís his. And, unfortunately, itís ours, too.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics