ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th June 2020, 07:08 AM   #1
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Shopping at Macy's While Black

An 18-year-old underprivileged, at-risk youth and his rapper brother were shopping(presumably for a belt considering his pants were hanging below his buttocks) at a Macy's store in Flint, Michigan when out of nowhere an ADOSO called him a *******. The young rapper then pulled out his cell phone to record his 18-year-old brother sucker punching the ADOSO in the side of the head from behind and then punching him in the face two more times while the racist man was on the ground apologizing and trying to get away from his attacker.

This is just another tragic example of the historical slave/slave owner relationship and the genetically inherited trauma that has been passed on for many generations. When is America going to get on off of its collective ass and dole out some reparations to the ADOS community so they can shed their inherited trauma?

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/18-yea...n-viral-video/

ADOS – American descendent of slavery
ADOSO – American descendent of slave owner
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 04:24 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
An 18-year-old underprivileged, at-risk youth and his rapper brother were shopping(presumably for a belt considering his pants were hanging below his buttocks) at a Macy's store in Flint, Michigan when out of nowhere an ADOSO called him a *******. The young rapper then pulled out his cell phone to record his 18-year-old brother sucker punching the ADOSO in the side of the head from behind and then punching him in the face two more times while the racist man was on the ground apologizing and trying to get away from his attacker.

This is just another tragic example of the historical slave/slave owner relationship and the genetically inherited trauma that has been passed on for many generations. When is America going to get on off of its collective ass and dole out some reparations to the ADOS community so they can shed their inherited trauma?

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/18-yea...n-viral-video/

ADOS – American descendent of slavery

ADOSO – American descendent of slave owner
I take it your post is a joke
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 05:16 PM   #3
William Parcher
Suspended

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I take it your post is a joke
It isn't even a joke. When black guys beat the crap out of white guys it's nothing but boring.

Yawn!

When white guys beat the crap out of black guys it's anything but boring. Instead, it's a 16 page thread.

Last edited by William Parcher; 27th June 2020 at 05:18 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 05:44 PM   #4
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I don't get it. Is Damire Palmer a police officer? A congressman? Is he the president of the United States? Does he have an army of apologists for his behavior on this forum? If so, I'm ready to take them on, otherwise, I don't understand the point.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 05:50 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I don't get it. Is Damire Palmer a police officer? A congressman? Is he the president of the United States? Does he have an army of apologists for his behavior on this forum? If so, I'm ready to take them on, otherwise, I don't understand the point.
That was kind of the point of me assuming the OP was a joke.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It isn't even a joke. When black guys beat the crap out of white guys it's nothing but boring.

Yawn!

When white guys beat the crap out of black guys it's anything but boring. Instead, it's a 16 page thread.
Tell you what, when local cops start making excuses for a black guy committing acts of violence against white people, we can have a thread.

Maybe the black guy was standing his ground while executing a citizen's arrest.
Old 27th June 2020, 06:16 PM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Yawn!

The reason for the difference is that in the several “...while black” threads we are often looking at a murder of a black person that either appears to be a) racially motivated or b) committed by law enforcement officers or some combination of the two.

The length is because instead of people agreeing that it was wrong, we usually have endless apologetics for the murder, lots of doubt poured on the very idea of racism having anything to do with it or an outright support for the murder.

My guess is that absolutely nobody is going to justify an unprovoked attack on a person working in a shop.

What we are seeing is a despicable and cowardly assault. What we are not seeing, Bogative and William Parcher, is an excuse for all the racist incidents and police brutality videos. Mmmkay?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 06:24 PM   #8
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
If you are looking for the point of a thread that is nothing more than random people of different races interacting badly with one another, just flip up one or two to the "nice car while black" thread.
Maybe you will find one there.
Old 27th June 2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The length is because instead of people agreeing that it was wrong, we usually have endless apologetics for the murder, lots of doubt poured on the very idea of racism having anything to do with it or an outright support for the murder.

Actually you have endless posts agreeing that it was wrong, and a handful of people who might question that it wasn't for some reason or another..

I wouldn't want the job of counting the endless posts of someone quoting someone who they agree with, in an effort to try to put a different spin on what most everyone already agrees is wrong.
Old 27th June 2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Posts like this one that are meant to be haw-haw counterparts to the “X while black...” threads only sadly illustrate how little their OPs really understand the racism in American society. Not even getting the fundamental concept...

Last edited by Giordano; 27th June 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:44 PM   #11
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Actually you have endless posts agreeing that it was wrong, and a handful of people who might question that it wasn't for some reason or another..

I wouldn't want the job of counting the endless posts of someone quoting someone who they agree with, in an effort to try to put a different spin on what most everyone already agrees is wrong.
It's not the number of posters, so much as the endless apologetics. You could only have one person saying, "Nuh huh! Not racist!" or "He kinda had it coming!" and then you set the ball rolling...

Okay, let's look at one of the first ones you can find:

Jogging in Georgia While Black

From the very first page (four posts in) we have Bogative cackling about how posters aren't being skeptical enough, and a couple of others doubting that the people involved were really talking about "white roads" or Bob the Coward saying it is difficult to make a citizens' arrest on someone who is running (is that parody? Bob's posts are indistinguishable from parody but I have never seen anything by him that winks at the readership).

In other words, that thread got off to a good start, pretty much as I said happened.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:48 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Next obvious one...

...knee to the back of the neck while black: until dead.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=344332

Some preliminary reactions about how horrible the video is and how the man (George Floyd died) followed by CainKane1 in post 7 opining...

"He shouldn't have resisted arrest..." followed by yet another tedious anecdote.

So it is more apologetics from the beginning of the thread.

ETA: Followed by Captain Howdy parroting one of the absolute most retarded talking points that were going around for a while...

"If he repeatedly says "I can't breathe" he can breathe."

Last edited by angrysoba; 27th June 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 27th June 2020, 07:59 PM   #13
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Next obvious one...

...knee to the back of the neck while black: until dead.
Is there any evidence that George Floyd was murdered because he was black or because Chauvin is a racist?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 08:00 PM   #14
Cain
Straussian

Retitle the thread: Making Racist Comments While White.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:11 PM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

Is there any evidence that George Floyd was murdered because he was black or because Chauvin is a racist?
Read again what I have said:

The reason for the difference is that in the several “...while black” threads we are often looking at a murder of a black person that either appears to be a) racially motivated or b) committed by law enforcement officers or some combination of the two.

In that particular thread we had two posters writing apologetics:

One of them effectively saying he brought it upon himself.

The other one saying he was lying about dying.

Old 27th June 2020, 08:28 PM   #16
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Read again what I have said:

In that particular thread we had two posters writing apologetics:

One of them effectively saying he brought it upon himself.

The other one saying he was lying about dying.

Roger that.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:32 PM   #17
angrysoba
Philosophile

Roger that.
Could you explain what your answer means? Remember, the more vague you are in your responses and the more you make us have to drag out what you are trying to get at with this thread and your replies, the more you rob the ability of posters here of the butthurt over threads promoting their agenda being too short.

Old 27th June 2020, 08:59 PM   #18
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Could you explain what your answer means? Remember, the more vague you are in your responses and the more you make us have to drag out what you are trying to get at with this thread and your replies, the more you rob the ability of posters here of the butthurt over threads promoting their agenda being too short.

Way back in the day before two way radio communication, and before the modern phonetic alphabet, while using Morse code, it was commonplace for someone who received a message to respond with a "R" instead of coding out r-e-c-e-i-v-e-d. It was much faster and simpler. "Roger" was used to represent the letter "R" in the old phonetic alphabet instead of the modern "Romeo". "Roger that" is an old holdover from times past and my way of saying your clarification was received.
Old 27th June 2020, 11:40 PM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Weird place America.

Currently on here every situation that should be looked at on its own merits has to turn into either Trump or Floyd's tragic needless death.

Last edited by cullennz; 27th June 2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 28th June 2020, 03:33 AM   #20
Thabiguy
Muse

While looking both at this thread, and another recent thread with the topic of interracial assault (Driving a nice car? Don't be black!), a question occurred to me:

Is it possible for a conflict, incident or crime involving both black and white participants to not be racially motivated? And if so, how would one be able to tell that?

I would expect opinions on that to vary, which is why I'm asking.
Thabiguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 03:40 AM   #21
Lplus
Thinker

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Weird place America.

Currently on here every situation that should be looked at on its own merits has to turn into either Trump or Floyd's tragic needless death.
That's because everything that appears on here is immediately looked at in terms of racism or politics, or both.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 08:44 AM   #22
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Oh good, some new creepy, politicized acronyms. Just what the internet needs.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:53 AM   #23
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thabiguy View Post
While looking both at this thread, and another recent thread with the topic of interracial assault (Driving a nice car? Don't be black!), a question occurred to me:

Is it possible for a conflict, incident or crime involving both black and white participants to not be racially motivated? And if so, how would one be able to tell that?

How does one go about proving that they are not racist?

The allegation is good enough proof in and of itself for many of the "skeptics" here on this forum.
It is thrown around so much that one wonders if there is any concrete definition of "racist" that everyone works off of, truly it seems not, the closest working definition I can come up with based on posts is something like:

"Someone who doesn't automatically see race as the determining factor for every action (or lack thereof) between a black citizen and anyone else (even, sometimes other black citizens whose "blackness" is in question due to a lifestyle choice).
Old 28th June 2020, 09:11 AM   #24
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Thabiguy View Post

Of course it's possible, and that's why there tends to be so much discussion over each of these these incidents?
Old 28th June 2020, 09:24 AM   #25
Lplus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post

The allegation is good enough proof in and of itself for many of the "skeptics" here on this forum.
It is thrown around so much that one wonders if there is any concrete definition of "racist" that everyone works off of, truly it seems not, the closest working definition I can come up with based on posts is something like:

"Someone who doesn't automatically see race as the determining factor for every action (or lack thereof) between a black citizen and anyone else (even, sometimes other black citizens whose "blackness" is in question due to a lifestyle choice).
Sounds about right - alternatively you could simply use the word "white"
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 10:45 AM   #26
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post

As I see it there clearly is racism in USA society and it is important to be open to recognizing when it might be occurring as a means to reduce it. The “While black...” threads are not titled “Because of being black...” threads. They are anecdotal tales for ISF members to consider. IMHO they often reveal patterns indicative, or sometimes damming evidence, of racism. Some are more ambiguous. Or plainly wrong. But we are not here forced to make a legal decision and we don’t need proof beyond a doubt to learn something from them even in the absence of proof or if some are unrelated to racism at all. It is important to our society to try to consider the possibility and to thereby work toward minimizing even the appearance of racism.

Prove racism as motivation? How can one know what is in another person’s heart?

But I find disturbing that certain posters absolutely refuse to consider racism as playing a part even in the more blatant examples. Not a one!

As I’ve posted before I am very hesitant to second guess the judgement of the people in these tales who have concluded they were the target of racism. They were there. Who am I from a distance of experience and knowledge second guess them?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 11:01 AM   #27
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'm having a hard time seeing the point to this thread.

Well, obviously, there's trolling, but beyond that, I don't get it.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 11:16 AM   #28
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
As I see it there clearly is racism in USA society and it is important to be open to recognizing when it might be occurring as a means to reduce it. The “While black...” threads are not titled “Because of being black...” threads. They are anecdotal tales for ISF members to consider. IMHO they often reveal patterns indicative, or sometimes damming evidence, of racism. Some are more ambiguous. Or plainly wrong. But we are not here forced to make a legal decision and we don’t need proof beyond a doubt to learn something from them even in the absence of proof or if some are unrelated to racism at all. It is important to our society to try to consider the possibility and to thereby work toward minimizing even the appearance of racism.

Prove racism as motivation? How can one know what is in another person’s heart?

But I find disturbing that certain posters absolutely refuse to consider racism as playing a part even in the more blatant examples. Not a one!

As I’ve posted before I am very hesitant to second guess the judgement of the people in these tales who have concluded they were the target of racism. They were there. Who am I from a distance of experience and knowledge second guess them?
You highlight a definition, then provide no definition of your own. What is racism?

I see few posters "refusing to consider racism" as a motivating factor. And a great many more refusing to consider any other reason.

Posters who, when they find themselves unable to provide proof of racism from the incident resort to accusing anyone who would choose to not leap to the same conclusion as being the racists.
An accusation that is -as you have admitted- un falsifiable and therefore nothing more than a smear (which should be a violation of the MA).
Old 28th June 2020, 11:38 AM   #29
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Jogging in Georgia While Black

From the very first page (four posts in) we have Bogative cackling about how posters aren't being skeptical enough..

In other words, that thread got off to a good start, pretty much as I said happened.
And only 7 posts by Bogative out of the next 3000..

What is your count?

Next obvious one...

Some preliminary reactions about how horrible the video is and how the man (George Floyd died) followed by CainKane1 in post 7 opining...

"He shouldn't have resisted arrest..." followed by yet another tedious anecdote.

Only one post by CainKane1 in that thread..

I guess he was the match that lit the fire, huh?

How many posts from you?

Really, there wouldn't be a handful of posts in any of these threads if there weren't hundreds of replies from those trying to prove there is racism going on while preaching to the choir, and arguing with a handful of posters who are probably just pulling your chain 90% of the time.

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 28th June 2020 at 11:40 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 04:42 PM   #30
angrysoba
Philosophile

And only 7 posts by Bogative out of the next 3000..
Fine. And there have been 203 by Skeptic Tank. I wonder what his opinion on the matter is.

What is your count?
I didn't post in there at all, IIRC.

Only one post by CainKane1 in that thread..

I guess he was the match that lit the fire, huh?
Well, we also had a couple of hundred from Skeptic Tank and Captain Howdy.

How many posts from you?
Six times, and you posted four times in the successor thread, so we posted about the same, yet you are the one whining about a massive discrepancy.

Really, there wouldn't be a handful of posts in any of these threads if there weren't hundreds of replies from those trying to prove there is racism going on while preaching to the choir, and arguing with a handful of posters who are probably just pulling your chain 90% of the time.
Sorry, but that's just bollocks. First of all, I am not posing hundreds of times in these threads, and some of these posters are explicitly and apparently sincerely promoting racist bilge. Stop blaming those pushing back against it for the racism. You are now also being an apologist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events