ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th June 2020, 04:14 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

UK - 3 feared dead in Reading stabbing

Doesn't sound nice.

Still developing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-engl...shire-53123975
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todays Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 02:04 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Very close to home, my last 'grown up' job was in Reading, and I know there a quite a few active forumites around this area. I hope everyine is okay.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 02:17 AM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Very close to home, my last 'grown up' job was in Reading, and I know there a quite a few active forumites around this area. I hope everyine is okay.
If the guy really is from Libya this could get ugly, very ugly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 03:28 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If the guy really is from Libya this could get ugly, very ugly.
??
Old 21st June 2020, 04:11 AM   #5
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
??
The right wing blogosphere is saying it was a man from Libya.

UK police are now saying the attack is investigated as a terrorist attack, which suggest to me it is indeed a brown man.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 04:31 AM   #6
Lplus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The right wing blogosphere is saying it was a man from Libya.

UK police are now saying the attack is investigated as a terrorist attack, which suggest to me it is indeed a brown man.
The BBC also mention a libyan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53124359
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 06:05 AM   #7
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

They also say they are not looking for anyone else, and there was a mention of him having mental health issues.

Piers Morgan has just tweeted that he was an asylum seeker.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 06:24 AM   #8
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
They also say they are not looking for anyone else, and there was a mention of him having mental health issues.

I wonder if Piers meant to imply that our asylum seeking process places a terrible mental strain on already traumatised people. Do you suppose that was his point?

(Please don't misinterpret my sarcasm at what I infer to be Piers Morgan's demonising of asylum seekers as my feeling any sort of sympathy with horrifying murderers like this.)
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 06:26 AM   #9
Lplus
Thinker

Sky news is giving the asylum seeker detail and the bbc report linked above states he had been in prison for a minor offence.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 07:57 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I wonder if Piers meant to imply that our asylum seeking process places a terrible mental strain on already traumatised people. Do you suppose that was his point?

(Please don't misinterpret my sarcasm at what I infer to be Piers Morgan's demonising of asylum seekers as my feeling any sort of sympathy with horrifying murderers like this.)
CT - All part of the government's plans to get Britain working again!
Old 21st June 2020, 09:43 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The first victim has been named (I won’t repeat it here, for now) as a teacher at a school in Wokingham.
(Not someone I know, nor a friend of a friend, according to Facebook, though I suspect a couple of people I know would know him.)

https://www.wokinghampaper.co.uk/hol...dens-stabbing/

Last edited by zooterkin; 21st June 2020 at 09:45 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 09:49 AM   #12
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
??
I didn't get it either.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 10:33 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

A TV news report has just referred to the three dead as all being men.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:57 AM   #14
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The second victim, an American citizen living in the UK, has been named.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ed-one-victims

He was friends with, and apparently in the same group as, the first-named victim.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd June 2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 22nd June 2020, 02:07 AM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The second victim, an American citizen living in the UK, has been named.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ed-one-victims

He was friends with, and apparently in the same group as, the first-named victim.
Oh god, that means we'll probably get Trump's input. I wonder if he'll blame Sadiq Kahn?

Old 22nd June 2020, 01:05 PM   #16
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The third victim who died has been named.

The three who died were all friends, regulars at The Blagrave Arms pub, a popular venue with the LGBT+ community. Although they were all gay men, I've not seen it suggested that was a factor in why they, in particular, were attacked.

The three people who were taken to hospital, injured, have now been discharged.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd June 2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:35 PM   #17
William Parcher
Suspended

they were all gay men, I've not seen it suggested that was a factor in why they, in particular, were attacked.
Either way, radical Muslims are smiling because 3 homosexuals were executed in a way that was certain to be very painful. And it was done by their guy too. Two thumbs up.

Trump will probably start tweeting that Johnson has tiny balls.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:29 PM   #18
Matthew Best
Philosopher

He will probably blame it on Khan since Reading is surely a suburb of London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 03:09 AM   #19
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
He will probably blame it on Khan since Reading is surely a suburb of London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**cough** #15

Old 26th June 2020, 05:28 AM   #20
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Flags to be flown at half mast on the day of James Furlong’s funeral in Wokingham.

https://www.wokinghampaper.co.uk/cou...longs-funeral/
Old 29th June 2020, 10:23 AM   #21
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Man charged with 3 murders and 3 attempted murders.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events