ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th June 2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Will the Met ever be cleaned up?

The Met (London's police force) has for decades be stained with reprehensible behaviour by its officers, and this is top to bottom. Whether it is the old "vice squad" or the investigation into Stephen Lawrence's murder we have been told it couldn't happen again, that it was merely a few bad apples, that changes have been made and then we get this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53198702

In brief, we have police officers taking selfies with two corpses.and sharing them.

In what alternate world does police officers taking selfies with the corpses of two murdered people make sense?

(Never mind that the handling of the initial missing persons reports and the investigation by the police in itself stinks of the Mets' good old institutional racism.)
Old 26th June 2020, 01:31 PM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In what alternate world does police officers taking selfies with the corpses of two murdered people make sense?
Words fail me.

I can't understand how any sane person could act like that, so the only conclusion I can come to is that they're not.
Old 26th June 2020, 06:35 PM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I can't equate faux necromancy with " the old "vice squad" or the investigation into Stephen Lawrence's murder". A warped sense of humor doth not a bad cop make.

Now where is that thread about curent extremes in the social media......
Old 26th June 2020, 06:51 PM   #4
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

You might as well ask when all humans are going to be perfect at all times and under all circumstances.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:07 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I can't equate faux necromancy with " the old "vice squad" or the investigation into Stephen Lawrence's murder". A warped sense of humor doth not a bad cop make.

Now where is that thread about curent extremes in the social media......
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
You might as well ask when all humans are going to be perfect at all times and under all circumstances.
What a load of nonsense.
Old 27th June 2020, 07:17 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A couple of bad cops discovered and dealt with.

The Met needs to be cleaned up?

No, this is gold medal winning nonsense.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

It depends whether it is just a couple of 'rotten apples', or if something in the recruitment, training or organisational structure can explain this.

One question to ask is why they (presumably) assumed they would get away with it.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:26 AM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
It depends whether it is just a couple of 'rotten apples', or if something in the recruitment, training or organisational structure can explain this.

One question to ask is why they (presumably) assumed they would get away with it.
Oh I agree with this, but when world police forces are lined up, the Met is at the top of the pile.

Obviously not perfect, but the OP is utter nonsense.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:29 AM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Not just my opinion.

https://www.wonderslist.com/10-count...police-forces/

England. Metropolitan (Scotland Yard Police) The United Kingdom police force is at top on our list.
Canada. RCMP. ...
Netherlands. Royal Marechaussee, The Gendarmerie. ...
France. National Police of France. ...
Japan. Japanese National police. ...
USA. NYPD, LAPD, CHP. ...
Australia. AFP. ...
Germany. BMI, Federal Police. ...

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th June 2020, 07:30 AM   #10
William Parcher
Suspended

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A couple of bad cops discovered and dealt with.

The Met needs to be cleaned up?

No, this is gold medal winning nonsense.
Socio-political activism never sleeps. Fanaticism causes insomnia.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:31 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

There are plenty of other lists with the Met in the top 10.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th June 2020, 07:33 AM   #12
William Parcher
Suspended

Not just my opinion.

England. Metropolitan (Scotland Yard Police) The United Kingdom police force is at top on our list.
Canada. RCMP. ...
Australia. AFP. ...
That article doesn't say that the MET doesn't need to be cleaned up. It just ranks the different police forces.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:39 AM   #13
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That article doesn't say that the MET doesn't need to be cleaned up. It just ranks the different police forces.
Oh, brilliant gotcha.

The best police force in the world needs to be cleaned up. So does my room.

Okay, the Met will never be cleaned up. Happy?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th June 2020, 07:45 AM   #14
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

There are plenty of other lists with the Met in the top 10.
Do the others also place China in the top 10? I wouldn't place much faith in this one. It seems to be about how effective 'techniques' are. One effective police technique used in China is torture.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 08:03 AM   #15
William Parcher
Suspended

Oh, brilliant gotcha.

You clearly do not understand socio-political activism. Lionking, they don't sleep. I already told you that.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:04 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The Met (London's police force) has for decades be stained with reprehensible behaviour by its officers, and this is top to bottom. Whether it is the old "vice squad" or the investigation into Stephen Lawrence's murder we have been told it couldn't happen again, that it was merely a few bad apples, that changes have been made and then we get this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-53198702

In brief, we have police officers taking selfies with two corpses.and sharing them.

(Never mind that the handling of the initial missing persons reports and the investigation by the police in itself stinks of the Mets' good old institutional racism.)
Seems pretty basic fitting old procedures into the digital age. Like the paramedic I knew who made a point to get Polaroids from the crime scene photographer of someone hit by a train.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 10:05 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Seems pretty basic fitting old procedures into the digital age. Like the paramedic I knew who made a point to get Polaroids from the crime scene photographer of someone hit by a train.
Do you know what a "selfie" is?
Old 29th June 2020, 10:08 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not just my opinion.

Canada. RCMP. ...
Australia. AFP. ...
They are putting the NYPD in the 10 ten. That is some crazy stuff, I mean I guess putting rats(ie good cops) into mental hospitals is better than when they just shot them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 10:09 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Do you know what a "selfie" is?
Yes, but this was in the late 90's so selfies were not a thing yet. Seems like a natural outgrowth.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:12 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh, brilliant gotcha.

You think the NYPD shouldn't be criticized for not firing officers who record themselves planting evidence, after all it is one of the best police agencies in the world.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:13 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yes, but this was in the late 90's so selfies were not a thing yet. Seems like a natural outgrowth.
Apparently not.

A photograph is just a photograph, no matter whether it was taken with a Polaroid or a cell phone.

A "selfie" is a photograph taken OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, frequently with some object of interest in the background.

An investigation would not require selfies, as they'd be photos of the investigators. DI Jane Tennison does not smile and take a selfie with the corpse behind her, she just photographs the corpse itself.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:15 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Apparently not.

A photograph is just a photograph, no matter whether it was taken with a Polaroid or a cell phone.

A "selfie" is a photograph taken OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER, frequently with some object of interest in the background.

An investigation would not require selfies, as they'd be photos of the investigators. DI Jane Tennison does not smile and take a selfie with the corpse behind her, she just photographs the corpse itself.
This wasn't about an investigation it was for the personal collection of a paramedic who as it was a case of obvious death was not involved in any kind of treatment. Photographs for the investigation are one thing, ones for someones private collection are something else.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:18 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This wasn't about an investigation it was for the personal collection of a paramedic who as it was a case of obvious death was not involved in any kind of treatment. Photographs for the investigation are one thing, ones for someones private collection are something else.
Agreed. The latter is ghoulish intrusion, grossly unprofessional, and ought to be stamped out as firmly as possible.

Where I live such behavior would result in the guilty party being sued so blue they, their employer, and their families for ten generations would be mistaken for Smurfs. And rightly so.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:21 AM   #24
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Agreed. The latter is ghoulish intrusion, grossly unprofessional, and ought to be stamped out as firmly as possible.

Where I live such behavior would result in the guilty party being sued so blue they, their employer, and their families for ten generations would be mistaken for Smurfs. And rightly so.
As it should be, but I know emergency services personnel and at the time it was regarded as mildly eccentric.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:00 PM   #25
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Society is full of bad people. Some apply to join the police. Some manage to get in by hiding their badness. Even the most thorough recruitment process (the police has such a process) cannot fail to stop the odd bad person getting a job.

What is inexcusable, is the subsequent failure by the police to deal with those bad cops and learn from mistakes. One of the problems is that Professional Standards see their role as protecting the good name of the police, so they are as inclined to cover up misconduct by down playing it, as they are at tackling it.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:10 PM   #26
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Not just my opinion.

Canada. RCMP. ...
Australia. AFP. ...
That the list uses the following description;

"England. Metropolitan (Scotland Yard Police) The United Kingdom police force is at top on our list..."

should raise alarm bells that whoever wrote the list is clueless. They suggest this is noteworthy;

"The Metropolitan has truly gone beyond their expected duties to launch a campaign to raise awareness of the police emergency number."

The 999 number needs no awareness campaign. Then this;

"The Scotland Yard Police of the UK, otherwise known as one of the best police forces, has also been spread out in all of the main cities..."

No effort has been made to find metrics to compare the various police forces, such as detection rates, number of complaints, satisfaction survey results etc.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:22 PM   #27
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

What a load of nonsense.
Please provide a detailed explanation by what you mean by "cleaned up".
Please provide some sort of detailed analysis with studies to support whatever definition you come up with.
As this is a sceptics board anecdotal evidence is pretty well worthless so please refrain from quotes and newspaper articles.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events