ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:24 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
So, has anyone else noticed that the swastika on the pizza shown in the news photos wasn't a right facing one like used by the Nazis but rather a left facing version apparently sometimes referred to as a "sauwastika" and which of course has other historical associations and connotations?
Technically correct is the worst kind of correct.

In modern western iconography, nobody cares about the direction of the arms, and the overwhelming connotation is with Nazism.

There may be some niche subculture somewhere in America where you and the rest of your close-knit and idiosyncratic community can safely say things to each other like, "this isn't the Nazi swastika, this is the hippy mandala of love and peace. The opposite direction of the arms symbolizes the opposite nature of the symbol!"

But out here in the wider western world? It's a ******* swastika.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 12:56 PM   #42
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Don't know why they are complaining, looks like they got extra pepperoni.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 03:26 PM   #43
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's was just the pepperoni - I was hoping it was the actual pizza, they would be skills an employer should encourage!
Instead of breadsticks, they could be selling swas-stiks!
Old 30th June 2020, 07:47 PM   #44
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
... looks like they got extra pepperoni.
That's why the employees were fired.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:00 PM   #45
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I always feel that pizza doesn't cook properly if it's not round. Every rectangular pizza I've had has seemed off. I would expect a swastika-shaped pizza to cook terribly unevenly.
Do you mean thin crust round? Yeah, those don't work.

Pizza travelling trip: If you come to Detroit, you will be offered a choice of "round" or "square" for your pizza. What this means is "thin crust" or "thick crust". When I first moved here I was extremely confused when they asked me what shape of pizza I wanted. "Swastika" was not an option. It wouldn't cook right as a thin crust. Some people really like the edges of the thick crust pizzas, so a swastika shaped thick crust pizza could be super awesome to edge crust lovers.

At the time also, Little Caesar's always sold two for one pizzas. Their main advertising slogan was "Pizza Pizza". Everyone else followed suit. When I moved here, it was almost impossible to order just one pizza. That part has faded away.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #46
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Technically correct is the worst kind of correct.

In modern western iconography, nobody cares about the direction of the arms, and the overwhelming connotation is with Nazism.

There may be some niche subculture somewhere in America where you and the rest of your close-knit and idiosyncratic community can safely say things to each other like, "this isn't the Nazi swastika, this is the hippy mandala of love and peace. The opposite direction of the arms symbolizes the opposite nature of the symbol!"

But out here in the wider western world? It's a ******* swastika.
It could even be that the photo was flipped, I've noticed that seems to happens
with people using smartphones and then publishing their photos..
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Do you mean thin crust round? Yeah, those don't work.

Pizza travelling trip: If you come to Detroit, you will be offered a choice of "round" or "square" for your pizza. What this means is "thin crust" or "thick crust". When I first moved here I was extremely confused when they asked me what shape of pizza I wanted. "Swastika" was not an option. It wouldn't cook right as a thin crust. Some people really like the edges of the thick crust pizzas, so a swastika shaped thick crust pizza could be super awesome to edge crust lovers.

At the time also, Little Caesar's always sold two for one pizzas. Their main advertising slogan was "Pizza Pizza". Everyone else followed suit. When I moved here, it was almost impossible to order just one pizza. That part has faded away.
There isn't any other type of pizza?
Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #48
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
So, has anyone else noticed that the swastika on the pizza shown in the news photos wasn't a right facing one like used by the Nazis but rather a left facing version apparently sometimes referred to as a "sauwastika" and which of course has other historical associations and connotations?
Well, technically, both directions have other connotations in Eastern cultures. I've seen both on shrines in the street in Japan.

Given some of the graffiti I've seen, it's impressive that they got the arms all going the same way. Getting them going the 'correct' direction for a Nazi swastika would have been a bonus.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #49
Lerxst
Muse

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have but not in the last 10 years or so. I don't know if they still do the 2 for $5 thing, but I used to get them and they were just about what you would expect for such a low price. There were usually spots of bare crust on them, because they were that stingy with both sauce and cheese. I'd rather pay more and get real pizza rather than a pizza crust with not even enough sauce or cheese to fully cover it.
They were great when I was a starving college student.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #50
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What I still don't get is why stories like this become national news. The employee's actions were fireable offenses, and they were rightly fired for it. But why the hell does anyone other than the customer and the manager need to hear about this? Why the **** does the world need to know? There's no indication that this is a systematic problem at Little Ceasars. Management appears to have responded appropriately. So it should have ended there.

We are living in the dumbest timeline.
Real racism is so rare, they need to make it up to keep the outrage going. It is funny to see which incidents actually make the cut. Maybe, in this case, it gives a a national chain to virtue signal their liberal bonafides to the masses so that’s why we’re hearing about it.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #51
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, I think it depends a lot on what you count as "real racism." I think real incidents of overt racist behavior are pretty rare, but over the years I've been convinced that a deep undercurrent of racism exists, suppressed by social norms, but ripe for exploitation by the right demagogue. I think many people who claim to disavow racism would welcome a pseudo-scientific or cultural excuse to let it loose.

Mind you, I base this largely on anecdotal observation over many years, of people you would not expect it of, telling racist jokes, making snide comments, subscribing to rumors and ideas, and so forth. We may be saved from the worst of what a potential racist demagogue like Trump might offer by the fact that he's so stupid and wrong about so many things, but I think we're closer than some people would like to think, because of the way our cultural outlook bends the way we see things.

I may have mentioned this before, but since the thread is already sort of inherently Godwined, I will repeat this story, which I think is germane:

Some time ago I knew a woman who had lived in Germany during WWII as a teenager. Later, a war bride, and later yet, a librarian at a local college. She was an intelligent, tolerant, non-racist sort of person. One of the "good guys" pretty much all the way down. She wrote some memoirs that were published in Germany, and a novel which was not too bad either. I went to a lecture she gave at a local library, and could argue with nothing she said, except....while talking about the terrible and inhumane things done around her when she was a child, she remarked that this had always been a bad way to address the Jewish problem.

And right there, I thought, was the crux of it. They thought they were acting well and impartially, but the partiality was baked into their culture. To act not only well but effectively was not simply to refuse to sign on to the evil - it required that they reject a fundamental bias in their culture.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Har har, that pizza got a swastika, dude!

LOL.

What the heck. Just eat the damn thing. It's a Little Caesar's pepperoni pizza, that's all. It's better than starving but only just, I guess. And what's to get bothered about next? Not drinking the complementary 26oz Coke because it's black?
As states, there are some GOurmet Frozen Pizzas which are better then Little Caesar
s.

"Pizza Pizza" my ass.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There isn't any other type of pizza?
Confused why anybody would buy Little Caesar;s Pizza if any other type was available....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My theory is that a lot of these kinds of incidents aren't so much expressions of racism as they are expressions of transgressivism.

Some people are just equal-opportunity trolls. Race and creed mean nothing to them, except as a way to get a rise out of people. I think this is especially true online. If you make it clear to everyone that saying the n-word or throwing a swastika is the absolute worst social sin, for sure there's going to be a troll in your audience who plans on putting that information to good use at the soonest opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same kids made a Star of David pizza in the Man in the High Tower-verse.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #55
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My theory is that a lot of these kinds of incidents aren't so much expressions of racism as they are expressions of transgressivism.

Some people are just equal-opportunity trolls. Race and creed mean nothing to them, except as a way to get a rise out of people. I think this is especially true online. If you make it clear to everyone that saying the n-word or throwing a swastika is the absolute worst social sin, for sure there's going to be a troll in your audience who plans on putting that information to good use at the soonest opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same kids made a Star of David pizza in the Man in the High Tower-verse.
In a phrase, Surf Nazis. Fools the gullible handily.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #56
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Confused why anybody would buy Little Caesar;s Pizza if any other type was available....
It's my kids' favorite, so why wouldn't we?
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You keep making the same remark over and over. Are you needing some kind of acknowledgement, or do you just hate Little Ceasars pizza that much?
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #58
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It can't be worse than CiCi's, surely?
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #59
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

I've overheard people around here calling Little Caesar's, "Little Seizures." Couldn't tell if they were joking or not.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #60
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

They are a staple for the robotics team, because hot, now, cheap, and a block from the school.

High school robotics teams are not known for their discerning tastes in pizza. Quantity is more important than quality.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #61
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I'd like to order a pizza with a pepperoni peace sign.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It's my kids' favorite, so why wouldn't we?
becuase Kids have no taste?

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events