ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:12 AM   #1
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Et Tu, Hair Braiding?

I saw on Yahoo News that a lot of social-mediaites are upset with Kim Kardashian for her new corn-row style braids hairstyle. Is this really verboten now too?

I'm asking because I have very long, thick, occasionally unmanageable hair. I braid it in similar style from time to time, and have never really given doing so a thought. It looks nice, it keeps everything in place, and when the braids come out, I get awesome puffy curls for a day or two. I've been doing it since I was a little kid. Do I have to stop? How common is this attitude? I don't want to offend anybody, but it seems ridiculous to me.

I've come around to basically understanding the concept of cultural appropriation as it applies to things like native dress, ceremonial jewelry, traditional rituals, and the like. But aren't we broadening the definition a bit too much by including braids? I don't think Africans are the only culture who historically braided their hair. (I haven't looked into the history though - the hairstory?). In any case, I'm not trying to emulate any particular style. I was just doing something I like, something that works for me.

What does everyone here think? (Oh, and can we PLEASE be nice? My question is asked in utterly good faith.)

Last edited by Butter!; 30th January 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

What, is it cultural appropriation this time?

Ugh. If we applied that principle across the board only white dudes would be allowed to wear polo shirts.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Ugh. If we applied that principle across the board only white dudes would be allowed to wear polo shirts.
Yeah, that appears to be what people are claiming (cultural appropriation). I think they are also mad because she put beads on the ends of the braids and referred to the style as "Bo Derick braids" in an Instagram post. I guess I don't really understand why that's offensive either.

If this really is the new cultural attitude, I suppose I have no choice but to stop wearing braids out of the house in future (last thing I need is more trouble). But I'm just blown away that this is really a problem. I wondered how realistic the concerns actually are, and figured I'd bring the question here for a nice sampling of different reactions.

I honestly never even gave it a thought before this.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I guess I don't really understand why that's offensive either.
It's about time you get the memo, then: everything is offensive. That's how you show everyone how moral and upstanding you are compared to them.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:26 AM   #5
crescent
Illuminator

The concern seems to be about the corn-row type braids, rather than other types of braids, for whatever that is worth.

I never know what to say about this sort of thing.

I think white people with dreadlocks are fine as well.

It is not, and never was, an exclusively African, Afro-Caribbean, or black thing, as any Indian Sadhu or anyone who's ever been to Tibet can tell you. Few of the people I ever knew who had dreads were the least bit influenced by Bob Marley.

I don't think it is appropriation to wear cornrows. That said, other people might, and you might find yourself facing criticism if you wear them. Unjustified criticism (IMO), but still.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

I mean, isn't the exchange of ideas and cultural elements historically a good thing?

Why do people on the far-left suddenly oppose diversity?

Old 30th January 2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I had the same reaction when I heard white people with dreadlocks are evil.
The only people with dreadlocks I know are alternative / skater / hippy white folks.
But apparently that's insensitive to black people and Rastafarians in particular.

But you know, it's social media. There's people who are outraged at just about anything. And outrage draws media attention.
I doubt people on the street who don't follow the Kardashians on Instagram care too much about what anyone does with their hair.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Cultural appropriation either doesn't really exist, or more accurately, is practiced by most cultures so for all intents and purposes is background noise. Going full tilt pretending-you-were-born-into-and-still-live-in another culture is a harmless thing some people play at, but choosing a style here or there that happens to be popular in another culture is not any kind of disrespect or whatever. Do you.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracy theory has it that Kim is OJ Simpson's daughter anyhow.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
The whole purpose of social media is for people to talk about things. People who seem to make social media their lives or who are trying to make them their businesses NEED to talk about things all the time, so they can get, keep and grow an audience (and get people to give them free hotel rooms and other perks for positive mentions in their feeds). If they can find a subject that can inspire discussion, passion and/or outrage it is all the better for them as it increases their audience and their power and they get more attention, more perks and more chance to make money without actually having to do anything vaguely resembling work.

Even people who aren't looking to be the center of the social media universe want to have a say, so they can look informed, progressive, caring, blah, blah, blah.

I say don't sweat it. Wear your hair as you choose, braids, cornrows, dreads, whatever. I think as long as you are NOT putting beads on your hair you are probably not going to get people in a lather over your hair. I put my hair in a French braid pretty much every day for work (I am not French), and my cultural background is Polish, Polish tradition is that young girls braid their long hair, when they marry, there is a tradition unbraiding and sometimes even cutting her hair when she marries as a symbol that she is no longer a girl.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/

Last edited by Kochanski; 30th January 2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I alway tell my clients that the only way to avoid litigation is to never make money.

Similarly, the only way to avoid criticism on social media is to have no profile.

Once you are successful, someone will be coming after you.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd just like to have hair.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:13 AM   #13
crescent
Illuminator

I've come around to basically understanding the concept of cultural appropriation as it applies to things like native dress, ceremonial jewelry, traditional rituals, and the like.
See, I agree with you on that as well. Cultural appropriation is real - but it can be very, very hard to define.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I have awesome hair. On my back. And my shoulders. My eyebrows are becoming a thing of wonder. My head, not so much....
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:15 AM   #14
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I alway tell my clients that the only way to avoid litigation is to never make money.

Similarly, the only way to avoid criticism on social media is to have no profile.

Once you are successful, someone will be coming after you.
Well, I agree with you, and consequently have no profile.

My curiosity was regarding spillover - how much of this had made it offline? Would I be running the same risk walking down the street in braids as I would in, say, an ermin-fur stole? (Fur hate is pretty mainstream now, so I used it as an example. I have never worn fur.)

It sounds to me like this is still an issue largely confined to social media drama. It still makes me sad. People can't just post pics of their hair anymore without stirring up a whole ruckus. I'm glad I don't have Facebook or anything. It seems like I'd unknowingly step in it every time I made a post.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:16 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

The more weight we give to social media the more they'll bleed out in the real world and kill all that we hold dear.

Old 30th January 2018, 11:30 AM   #16
ginjawarrior
Thinker

I saw on Yahoo News that a lot of social-mediaites are upset with Kim Kardashian for her new corn-row style braids hairstyle. Is this really verboten now too?

I'm asking because I have very long, thick, occasionally unmanageable hair. I braid it in similar style from time to time, and have never really given doing so a thought. It looks nice, it keeps everything in place, and when the braids come out, I get awesome puffy curls for a day or two. I've been doing it since I was a little kid. Do I have to stop? How common is this attitude? I don't want to offend anybody, but it seems ridiculous to me.

I've come around to basically understanding the concept of cultural appropriation as it applies to things like native dress, ceremonial jewelry, traditional rituals, and the like. But aren't we broadening the definition a bit too much by including braids? I don't think Africans are the only culture who historically braided their hair. (I haven't looked into the history though - the hairstory?). In any case, I'm not trying to emulate any particular style. I was just doing something I like, something that works for me.

What does everyone here think? (Oh, and can we PLEASE be nice? My question is asked in utterly good faith.)
everything is offensive and verboten to someone somewhere

i find it best to just ignore them

dreadlocks
http:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=64EcZvViHUQ

Last edited by ginjawarrior; 30th January 2018 at 11:32 AM.
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:34 AM   #17
CORed
Philosopher

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that you do have hair, just not where you would like it to be.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:36 AM   #18
ahhell
Illuminator

Yeah, that appears to be what people are claiming (cultural appropriation). I think they are also mad because she put beads on the ends of the braids and referred to the style as "Bo Derick braids" in an Instagram post. I guess I don't really understand why that's offensive either.
Because its a 40 year old reference to a long forgotten movie?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I tend to think it's just young people flailing about, searching for something new to be outraged about so they can show that they are more enlightened than everybody else.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 02:55 PM   #20
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Are you sure it isn't just simply Kim Kardashian bashing rather than some blanket "whities can't wear cornrows" kind of condemnation?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 03:11 PM   #21
crescent
Illuminator

Just Google "White people cornrows" if you want an answer to that.
Old 30th January 2018, 03:16 PM   #22
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I'm willing to bet that a braided wig is not illegal. Dread wig?
Old 30th January 2018, 03:25 PM   #23
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Well, I agree with you, and consequently have no profile.

My curiosity was regarding spillover - how much of this had made it offline? Would I be running the same risk walking down the street in braids as I would in, say, an ermin-fur stole? (Fur hate is pretty mainstream now, so I used it as an example. I have never worn fur.)

It sounds to me like this is still an issue largely confined to social media drama. It still makes me sad. People can't just post pics of their hair anymore without stirring up a whole ruckus. I'm glad I don't have Facebook or anything. It seems like I'd unknowingly step in it every time I made a post.

If you like the way they look on you then do it. Don't worry about other people's hang-ups. Especially the internet fringe.

But if you find the approbation of social groups useful, this might help ...

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/white-girl-cornrows/

It was listed on Google as "Best Twentyfive+ White Girl Cornrows", and if you're okay on Pinterest then you've got the Mainstream behind you.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 30th January 2018 at 03:26 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 07:15 PM   #24
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I have awesome hair. On my back. And my shoulders. My eyebrows are becoming a thing of wonder. My head, not so much....
Apparently back hair correlates with a particular Neanderthal gene. My ex-husband looked like a blond fur seal from the neck down by his 20s.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 07:29 PM   #25
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

As Northern European, I must protest THIS cultural appropriation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...w=1024&bih=621
Old 30th January 2018, 09:24 PM   #26
Mumbles
Philosopher

...oh. Yeah, given how the space alien family already annoys some people, yes, getting braids and calling them "Bo Derik braids" is going to kick upo a storm.

Take it as generally that - an internet fury over a poorly-phrased instagram post. It's not worth much, and I wouldn't be shocked if she said that knowing it would get her some extra media attention through controversy.

And I'm not even mad about *that*, I'd consider it too if anyone would give half a damn
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 09:49 PM   #27
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
.... back hair correlates with a particular Neanderthal gene.
My behavior probably also correlates with a bunch of Neanderthal genes, if my wife is to be believed.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:09 PM   #28
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
My eyebrows are becoming a thing of wonder.

Have you tried braiding them? I don't see any photos of that, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be appropriation.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:17 PM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

When this sort of thing comes up I wonder, what is "a lot" really?

I'm sure most people don't care, and only a small vocal minority care enough to comment on it.

So I would say no, don't worry about it. Keep on doing your own hairstyle in whatever way you like to do it. If in the unlikely event that someone actually calls you out about it, it sounds like you have a pretty good retort. You've been doing it that way since you are a kid (although even if you just started doing it last week it's still your own business how you style your hair).

Hairstyles cannot be copyrighted, patented or trademarked. Nor are they the exclusive "property" of any particular ethnic group.

It also always seems to be just a one-way street. Anyone can "appropriate" a fashion that started with white people and nobody complains about it. Nor should they, of course.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:17 PM   #30
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

She's trolling for attention. Peeps, don't you follow E! and other noteworthy publications? TMZ? Those clickbait sites on the margins of Daily Mail articles? How do you keep up?

She remembers the big fuss Bo Derek made with the hairdo and relates to it. She mistakenly didn't give the African origin and didn't acknowledge it even when criticized, and THIS WAS SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

We've been down this road. I can see Kanye saying "Hey, call it your "Bo Derek" look, again. That was fun!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:46 PM   #31
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
She's trolling for attention. Peeps, don't you follow E! and other noteworthy publications? TMZ? Those clickbait sites on the margins of Daily Mail articles? How do you keep up?

She remembers the big fuss Bo Derek made with the hairdo and relates to it. She mistakenly didn't give the African origin and didn't acknowledge it even when criticized, and THIS WAS SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

We've been down this road. I can see Kanye saying "Hey, call it your "Bo Derek" look, again. That was fun!"
Yeah, I think it was actually one of her sisters who did it last time, but she knew exactly what the reaction would be. When you look at it through the lens that (almost) every single action of hers is calculated to make sure that the celebrity gossip media continues to focus its attention on her, it all makes sense. And that is the proper lens to understand the Kardashian/Jenner family. Doing something that's "controversial" gets more attention than something uncontroversial. Giving your kid a really weird name gets more attention than giving them a normal name. And so on. It explains pretty much every thing they do.
Old 31st January 2018, 07:20 AM   #32
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, I think it was actually one of her sisters who did it last time, but she knew exactly what the reaction would be. When you look at it through the lens that (almost) every single action of hers is calculated to make sure that the celebrity gossip media continues to focus its attention on her, it all makes sense. And that is the proper lens to understand the Kardashian/Jenner family. Doing something that's "controversial" gets more attention than something uncontroversial. Giving your kid a really weird name gets more attention than giving them a normal name. And so on. It explains pretty much every thing they do.
I can actually see it as a mistake - the first time in the family. Hair is one of those obnoxious issues among black women, for some obvious reasons - and when you combine it with social media, *and* praise for Bo Derek's hair style in "10" which was supposed to be gorgeous (I personally don't think it worked for her, but whatever), you're going to get a hostile reaction, whether deserved or not.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 07:22 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Are you sure it isn't just simply Kim Kardashian bashing rather than some blanket "whities can't wear cornrows" kind of condemnation?
Those aren't mutually-exclusive. Plus it isn't the first time we see this sort of thing.

Old 31st January 2018, 07:39 AM   #34
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Are Armenians even white?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 07:43 AM   #35
3point14
Pi

I'm not a cowboy. Can I still wear jeans?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 07:58 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

If I wear a farmer's hat and I'm a city boy, is it agricultural appropriation?

Old 31st January 2018, 08:03 AM   #37
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If I wear a farmer's hat and I'm a city boy, is it agricultural appropriation?
Only if you drive your oxen through town at rush hour.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:36 AM   #38
Wildy
Adelaidean

Except that wouldn't count because white dudes don't have a culture to appropriate.

Honestly that would probably depend on where you are at the time. Odds are you wouldn't get hassled for your hairstyle in your everyday life unless you happened to cross paths with these people.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:41 AM   #39
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

The important thing to remember is that wanting to keep your culture pure and exclusive to your own group is racist, while sharing your culture and adopting things from other cultures is racist.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:46 AM   #40
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

It's about time you get the memo, then: everything is offensive. That's how you show everyone how moral and upstanding you are compared to them.
I hate to say it, but you are correct. We are rapidly approaching the point where you can do and say nothing without offending some group.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events