ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st February 2018, 07:32 PM   #121
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

You could argue that it's also the last gasp of the racial separatists on all sides. With the amount of inter-racial marriage/procreation going on, a few generations from now we'll all be from everywhere and every culture, and causes like this will seem every bit as silly as they are.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 07:52 PM   #122
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You could argue that it's also the last gasp of the racial separatists on all sides. With the amount of inter-racial marriage/procreation going on, a few generations from now we'll all be from everywhere and every culture, and causes like this will seem every bit as silly as they are.
This seems overly optimistic. I think the actual outcome will be a perverse and destructive balkanization of interests.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 08:04 PM   #123
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Pessimistic, optimistic... either way it's probably inevitable. We're global world now where distance means next to nothing and the borders of countries little more when it comes to the sharing of ideas.

And you can't share ideas without them competing to some degree.

I'm an American and all my life I've read thinkpieces and listen to gripping about America's ebil cultural domination of the world but... Harry Potter is English, Pokeman is Japanese, Soccer is goddamn everywhere. And those aren't cherry picked examples.

The whole idea of "Cultural Appropriation" it just... doesn't make any kind of sense to me on any level. It's complete jibberish to me.

I don't have a single opinion or habit that I wouldn't be delighted and honored to see more people, people from any culture, take up. I simply can't wrap my head around finding it offensive.

And again this yet another thing that we were told the exact opposite was the goal... and then it wasn't. I thought learning about other cultures and embracing things from other cultures was what we were supposed to be doing and they I wake up one morning the same damn people are pissed about white people bellydancing and wearing dreads.

Jesus at least Conservatives stay consistently evil and hateful. I've never once been surprised that a Conservative got mad at something. Women, minorities, evil dirty foreigners and the gays got it. They change the lyrics but never the tune.

But with Liberals I need a goddamn weekly newsletter to lay out all the stuff there's pissed about now.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 08:05 PM   #124
chrispy
Muse

Might I recommend a documentary by Chris Rock entitled, "Good Hair''. It covers many of the questions asked in this thread by our non-black/mixed members about why black women in particular are sensitive when it comes to hair matters. Mumbles has summed it up nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Hair

Last edited by chrispy; 1st February 2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: ETA for linky
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 09:55 PM   #125
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Wear whatever you want. My gawd what are we becoming?
"Becoming"? Um...we've been this for literally centuries in the US - and likely much of Europe as well. From hot irons, to lye, to conk, to modern relaxers. This is people pushing back at the politicization of black women's hair.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I haven't attacked anyone as far as I'm aware. Can you quote the bit you believe is an attack and I will attempt to explain what I was trying to mean. Both of the situations you describe above are unacceptable. Neither are situations I was referring to when I say

"Restrictions on how anyone chooses to wear their hair are simply not acceptable. It's *********** hair."
Let me help you out:

Quote:
Don't many black ladies straighten their hair or wear hairpieces or extensions to make their hair more like that of white ladies?

Is that also unacceptable cultural appropriation?
The answer is "No, it's not, it's become necessary because black women's hair, as grows out of their heads naturally, has been deemed unacceptable by many people in the US - of all races." I can think of a few other examples of people that are deemed "incredible" and "innovative" for basically copying something black people have been doing for years or decades, and have been openly attacked as "ghetto" or "thuggish" for (ironically, which Elvis Presley is somewhat an example, Bo Derek likely isn't). But this is in no way equivalent to black women who in many cases have been *required* to chemically relax their hair in order to find jobs that have nothing to do with their hair.

Last edited by Mumbles; 1st February 2018 at 09:58 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 10:16 PM   #126
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Might I recommend a documentary by Chris Rock entitled, "Good Hair''. It covers many of the questions asked in this thread by our non-black/mixed members about why black women in particular are sensitive when it comes to hair matters. Mumbles has summed it up nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Hair
No one is denying they are sensitive about it, but some think there is debate to be had as to how meaningful that is.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 11:52 PM   #127
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
No one is denying they are sensitive about it, but some think there is debate to be had as to how meaningful that is.
I am assuming you are a white person (man?). Ok, maybe watch that movie to gain a little insight as to WHY they are sensitive about it. It isn't that they are sensitive about it, but the why that is important. As a mixed race man who has only dated black women (two of whom are African) I can assure you that it isn't only a touchy emotional subject, but a subject with serious societal and, sadly, economic repercussions. A little education goes a long way to understanding why a certain people feel a certain way about a certain thing.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 11:55 PM   #128
chrispy
Muse

That said, if you want to rock it, rock it. But understand why you might be met with feelings.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:54 AM   #129
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I saw on Yahoo News that a lot of social-mediaites are upset with Kim Kardashian for her new corn-row style braids hairstyle. Is this really verboten now too?

I'm asking because I have very long, thick, occasionally unmanageable hair. I braid it in similar style from time to time, and have never really given doing so a thought. It looks nice, it keeps everything in place, and when the braids come out, I get awesome puffy curls for a day or two. I've been doing it since I was a little kid. Do I have to stop? How common is this attitude? I don't want to offend anybody, but it seems ridiculous to me.

I've come around to basically understanding the concept of cultural appropriation as it applies to things like native dress, ceremonial jewelry, traditional rituals, and the like. But aren't we broadening the definition a bit too much by including braids? I don't think Africans are the only culture who historically braided their hair. (I haven't looked into the history though - the hairstory?). In any case, I'm not trying to emulate any particular style. I was just doing something I like, something that works for me.

What does everyone here think? (Oh, and can we PLEASE be nice? My question is asked in utterly good faith.)
Just a note: How many people that are really raging (as opposed to saying "here's some history about why this is an issue") are major figures, academics, and so forth - and how many of them are just random angry people? Justine Sacco likely got far more hate for her infamous tweet, as did Yahoo when they messed up the phrase "Bigger Navy"* - but most of the response in both cases were mocking rather than the "lynch mob" or "political correctness run wild" that some said.

*: Google the phrase "Yahoo Bigger Navy" from home, not from work.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:26 AM   #130
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Let me help you out:
Let me help you out.

See the squiggly bit with the dot at the end? That's a question mark. That indicates that the preceding sentence is not, in fact a statement, but is a question. I fully agree the answer is no. I realise this may sound a little patronizing, but clearly and amazingly, apparently I have to highlight that to you.

If you're going to deliberately misread what I've written. Very, very deliberately, in order to paint me as whatever the hell you want to paint me as, then I don't want to deal with that level of dishonesty in debate.

You read my question, you decide you can read my mind and that I really meant it as a statement, you disregard my subsequent note that points out that I don't think there should be any restrictions on anyone's hairstyle, I highlight that to you twice and you return to my initial question and, in opposition to my very clear statement, you decide I've made a statement and attack that.

You are not arguing in good faith if you have to twist my position that much in order to get all angry about it.

Nobody's going to take you seriously about serious issues if you lie about things in arguments over hair.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 2nd February 2018 at 03:28 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:46 AM   #131
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I tend to think it's just young people flailing about, searching for something new to be outraged about so they can show that they are more enlightened than everybody else.
Yeah, in the past young people used to show how enlightened they were by adopting the motifs of foreign/exotic/marginalised cultures. Now young people show how enlightened they are by condemning people who adopt the motifs of foreign/exotic/marginalised cultures.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:47 AM   #132
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
As Northern European, I must protest THIS cultural appropriation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...w=1024&bih=621
That doesn't count because... oppression.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:50 AM   #133
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
My behavior probably also correlates with a bunch of Neanderthal genes, if my wife is to be believed.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:53 AM   #134
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Let me help you out.

See the squiggly bit with the dot at the end? That's a question mark. That indicates that the preceding sentence is not, in fact a statement, but is a question. I fully agree the answer is no. I realise this may sound a little patronizing, but clearly and amazingly, apparently I have to highlight that to you.

If you're going to deliberately misread what I've written. Very, very deliberately, in order to paint me as whatever the hell you want to paint me as, then I don't want to deal with that level of dishonesty in debate.

You read my question, you decide you can read my mind and that I really meant it as a statement, you disregard my subsequent note that points out that I don't think there should be any restrictions on anyone's hairstyle, I highlight that to you twice and you return to my initial question and, in opposition to my very clear statement, you decide I've made a statement and attack that.

You are not arguing in good faith if you have to twist my position that much in order to get all angry about it.

Nobody's going to take you seriously about serious issues if you lie about things in arguments over hair.
I honestly didn't see ANY of this in Mumbles' replies, can you point out specific examples?
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:02 AM   #135
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I honestly didn't see ANY of this in Mumbles' replies, can you point out specific examples?

I asked:

I haven't attacked anyone as far as I'm aware. Can you quote the bit you believe is an attack and I will attempt to explain what I was trying to mean. Both of the situations you describe above are unacceptable. Neither are situations I was referring to when I say

"Restrictions on how anyone chooses to wear their hair are simply not acceptable. It's *********** hair."

In response, I am told that the offending statement is this:

"Don't many black ladies straighten their hair or wear hairpieces or extensions to make their hair more like that of white ladies?

Is that also unacceptable cultural appropriation? "

You'll note, these are questions. Rhetorical ones as I've clearly stated my position in the bit above with all the asterisks.

Mumbles decides to ignore my stated position in prefers to incorrectly infer a different position from a question I asked. Rather than believing what I clearly state, Mumbles wants to jump on a high horse, give me a good old lecturing and decide that what I explicitly state is not what I mean.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:15 AM   #136
Mumbles
Philosopher

Let me help you out.

Sorry, but I do not have telepathy - and particularly not over the internet. You did not, in any way, address why black women effectively strong-armed into straightening their hair are in a fundamentally different situation than a wealthy white woman who trades in controversy and social standing (hey, nice work if you can get it) braiding her hair and calling it "Bo Derek hair". And that is exactly the heart of the controversy in this thread.

Kim K. is free to say and do whatever she wants concerning her hair, she'll survive this, and likely thrive off of it. The same cannot be said of the average black women who are routinely denied jobs because of their hair. Now, if you want to compare this, say, Beyonce (and had Beyonce claimed that she had "Oprah hair" or some such), that would be a bit closer. But in this case, the people that are angry are the ones whose hair choices are restricted, and the person being defended is the one whose hair choices are unrestricted.

Quote:
Or, perhaps you simply did not fully understand what you were talking about. No shame in that - I'm a black guy, who grew up in a family of almost entirely black women, and I don't fully understand it.

Quote:
THis is the third time that I have pointed out that you are making a bad comparison, and more importantly, why your comparison is bad.
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:18 AM   #137
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Mumbles decides to ignore my stated position in prefers to incorrectly infer a different position from a question I asked. Rather than believing what I clearly state, Mumbles wants to jump on a high horse, give me a good old lecturing and decide that what I explicitly state is not what I mean.
From what I saw, he was just clarifying the opposite position. I didn't see the "lecturing", to be honest.

I'm not taking sides, BTW. I just honestly didn't see what you did.
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:21 AM   #138
3point14
Pi

Sorry, but I do not have telepathy - and particularly not over the internet.
You didn't need it. My position was clearly stated. I'll quote it again, if you like?

Quote:
You did not, in any way, address why black women effectively strong-armed into straightening their hair are in a fundamentally different situation than a wealthy white woman who trades in controversy and social standing (hey, nice work if you can get it) braiding her hair and calling it "Bo Derek hair". And that is exactly the heart of the controversy in this thread.
apparently I do. This covers it:

Restrictions on how anyone chooses to wear their hair are simply not acceptable. It's *********** hair.

Quote:
Kim K. is free to say and do whatever she wants concerning her hair, she'll survive this, and likely thrive off of it. The same cannot be said of the average black women who are routinely denied jobs because of their hair. Now, if you want to compare this, say, Beyonce (and had Beyonce claimed that she had "Oprah hair" or some such), that would be a bit closer. But in this case, the people that are angry are the ones whose hair choices are restricted, and the person being defended is the one whose hair choices are unrestricted.

Or, perhaps you simply did not fully understand what you were talking about. No shame in that - I'm a black guy, who grew up in a family of almost entirely black women, and I don't fully understand it.

THis is the third time that I have pointed out that you are making a bad comparison, and more importantly, why your comparison is bad.

Again, I mad no comparison, I made a statement that was very explicit. I asked a rhetorical question, the answer to which I thought was abundantly obvious given my previously state position re hair.

Old 2nd February 2018, 05:35 AM   #139
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
That doesn't count because... oppression.
That is the criteria.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:39 AM   #140
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Only if you drive your oxen through town at rush hour.
Perfectly acceptable in some British towns and cities if you are made a Freeman.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:55 AM   #141
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Pessimistic, optimistic... either way it's probably inevitable. We're global world now where distance means next to nothing and the borders of countries little more when it comes to the sharing of ideas.

And you can't share ideas without them competing to some degree.

I'm an American and all my life I've read thinkpieces and listen to gripping about America's ebil cultural domination of the world but... Harry Potter is English, Pokeman is Japanese, Soccer is goddamn everywhere. And those aren't cherry picked examples.

The whole idea of "Cultural Appropriation" it just... doesn't make any kind of sense to me on any level. It's complete jibberish to me.

I don't have a single opinion or habit that I wouldn't be delighted and honored to see more people, people from any culture, take up. I simply can't wrap my head around finding it offensive.

And again this yet another thing that we were told the exact opposite was the goal... and then it wasn't. I thought learning about other cultures and embracing things from other cultures was what we were supposed to be doing and they I wake up one morning the same damn people are pissed about white people bellydancing and wearing dreads.

Jesus at least Conservatives stay consistently evil and hateful. I've never once been surprised that a Conservative got mad at something. Women, minorities, evil dirty foreigners and the gays got it. They change the lyrics but never the tune.

But with Liberals I need a goddamn weekly newsletter to lay out all the stuff there's pissed about now.
How much effort have you devoted to understanding the concept?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 07:12 AM   #142
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I actually am fine with being bald, it's just I figured I'm s'posed to complain about it. I did put on a crazy Frank Zappa wig once and I looked at least 10 years younger. That sucked.
Yeah I got stuck at an event outside and bought a novelty hat that was a visor with a wig in the middle. Sad how young I looked in it. Warm too, if you are looking for something to keep the chill off.

Quote:
ETA2:
Hey I just saw all the uproar over Tom Brady kissing his eleven year-old son! Let's go get upset about that now! C'mon let's go!!!
Brady bashing is always a good cause!!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:01 AM   #143
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Unfortunately you're wrong. It may not be mainstream, but let's just say that there's a lot of strange things going on in various university campuses.
Could be, but I've yet to see it here in extremely liberal Boston. I visit three campuses each week, and I just don't see this kind of activism.

To be sure, one of the three is a business-oriented university, another a lower tier state school and the third a Jesuit school, so they need not be representative. What happens at Harvard or Tufts may be different.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:02 AM   #144
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Imagine how my coworkers feel. There aren't any walls between our work spaces.

MWAHAHAHAHA!
Well, there wouldn't be walls at a McDonald's. Duh.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:04 AM   #145
Hungry81
Master Poster

Sorry, but I do not have telepathy - and particularly not over the internet. You did not, in any way, address why black women effectively strong-armed into straightening their hair are in a fundamentally different situation than a wealthy white woman who trades in controversy and social standing (hey, nice work if you can get it) braiding her hair and calling it "Bo Derek hair". And that is exactly the heart of the controversy in this thread.

"You cant wear your hair like that because when I do I get discriminated against" is a dumb argument. If those particular hairstyles become widespread or popular wont the people who are naturally predisposed to having hairstyles like that then find that their hair is more accepted?
Basically the way to make something mainstream is to encourage people to adopt it, not carry on like a bigot.

Also Kim kardashian is a useless waste of space and if everyone ignored her (and her useless family) for long enough she would go away.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:40 AM   #146
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

*: Google the phrase "Yahoo Bigger Navy" from home, not from work.
For those not wanting to dare, buzzfeed had a very succinct summary:

Quote:
Key takeaways from this story: Typos suck, and Black Twitter can spin any bad moment on the internet into gold.

Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:54 AM   #147
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How much effort have you devoted to understanding the concept?
That seeks an awful lot like "you have to believe for Jesus to save you". You require agreement to your position in order to debate. Thereby destroying debate.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:58 AM   #148
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
"You cant wear your hair like that because when I do I get discriminated against" is a dumb argument. If those particular hairstyles become widespread or popular wont the people who are naturally predisposed to having hairstyles like that then find that their hair is more accepted?
Basically the way to make something mainstream is to encourage people to adopt it, not carry on like a bigot.

Also Kim kardashian is a useless waste of space and if everyone ignored her (and her useless family) for long enough she would go away.
Yes, this is a fact that never seems to get mentioned by people that feel they own fashion.

Fifteen years ago I got yelled at, **** thrown at me and attacked for looking like I do. Now I can walk into my professional job in basically my street clothes.

Done people don't want things to get better because they won't be special.

Essentially we are entering George Carlin "everybody is grey" territory and some folks hate that.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:18 AM   #149
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That seeks an awful lot like "you have to believe for Jesus to save you". You require agreement to your position in order to debate. Thereby destroying debate.
I don't see how it is asking for agreement. But it would be very weird for me to comment on the books of the Bible in Catholicism if my sole knowledge of the counsel of Trent was questions on Jeopardy.

It is a theory in a social science. I majored in one of the social sciences and understand how frustrating to listen to people make basic, nonsense assumptions about a theory. So I am aware when someone says "gibberish" or "nonsense" and wonder how much effort they have made to determine if the literature actually resolves their questions.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:33 AM   #150
sadhatter
Philosopher

I don't see how it is asking for agreement. But it would be very weird for me to comment on the books of the Bible in Catholicism if my sole knowledge of the counsel of Trent was questions on Jeopardy.

It is a theory in a social science. I majored in one of the social sciences and understand how frustrating to listen to people make basic, nonsense assumptions about a theory. So I am aware when someone says "gibberish" or "nonsense" and wonder how much effort they have made to determine if the literature actually resolves their questions.
Problem being you don't accept anyone's conclusions if they are not yours, assuming as you do they must not have read enough if they don't feel like you do.

Btw, there is a massive range of social science disciplines. Don't try to get street cred with a vague claim, it gives red flags to people with similar education that you likely are inflating your credentials without saying something that you could be taken to task for.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:56 AM   #151
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Problem being you don't accept anyone's conclusions if they are not yours, assuming as you do they must not have read enough if they don't feel like you do.

Btw, there is a massive range of social science disciplines. Don't try to get street cred with a vague claim, it gives red flags to people with similar education that you likely are inflating your credentials without saying something that you could be taken to task for.
You will notice I haven't really made any conclusions about the validity of cultural appropriation. I have stuck to one hypothetical and the very basics of the definition (without comment on if I agree with the definition). I have no conclusions to compare to.

Also, claiming a major in one of the social sciences could be inflation?

Further, trying to rank the social sciences is like trying to determine the prostitute with the most dignity.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:08 PM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Further, trying to rank the social sciences is like trying to determine the prostitute with the most dignity.
That's easy: Inara Serra from Firefly.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:12 PM   #153
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's easy: Inara Serra from Firefly.
Dude! Companion

Old 2nd February 2018, 12:23 PM   #154
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dude! Companion
"Companion is just a dignified word for whore."

- Mal Reynolds, probably
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:33 PM   #155
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
"You cant wear your hair like that because when I do I get discriminated against" is a dumb argument.
There's a difference between "Here's why people are ticked off", and "I agree that Kim K. shouldn't do her hair like this".

Quote:
If those particular hairstyles become widespread or popular wont the people who are naturally predisposed to having hairstyles like that then find that their hair is more accepted?
Doesn't work that way, because bigots are predisposed to finding the women themselves as "dirty" and/or dangerous, not the hair style. Thus, an invitation from Obama magically turned this guy into a violent gangsta, how hoodies magically became "thug wear" once a black teenager was spotted walking down the street while wearing one, and cornrows become "hip boxer braids" once Kim K. starts wearing them. And that last one refers to Kim's previous incident of this type, so she's probably doing it on purpose.

Quote:
Could be worse, she could use her pointless fame to get elected to some high office...
Old 2nd February 2018, 01:02 PM   #156
sadhatter
Philosopher

You will notice I haven't really made any conclusions about the validity of cultural appropriation. I have stuck to one hypothetical and the very basics of the definition (without comment on if I agree with the definition). I have no conclusions to compare to.

Also, claiming a major in one of the social sciences could be inflation?

First, it's obvious as to your opinion, you just like to be obtuse.

Second, yes.

Third, another red flag. You are attempting to sound knowledgeable without actually claiming anything as specific claims could actually have real repercussions.
Old 2nd February 2018, 01:12 PM   #157
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Doesn't work that way, because bigots are predisposed to finding the women themselves as "dirty" and/or dangerous, not the hair style. Thus, an invitation from Obama magically turned this guy into a violent gangsta, how hoodies magically became "thug wear" once a black teenager was spotted walking down the street while wearing one, and cornrows become "hip boxer braids" once Kim K. starts wearing them.
Bad example since Common was trying to to emulate appropriate in that video.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 2nd February 2018, 02:29 PM   #158
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

First, it's obvious as to your opinion, you just like to be obtuse.

Second, yes.

Third, another red flag. You are attempting to sound knowledgeable without actually claiming anything as specific claims could actually have real repercussions.
I assure you, I go out of my way to not have opinions on things. I literally do not have the knowledge of cultural appropriation to make a judgement on it.

I'm not being obtuse. You are implying I'm hiding some feeling I possess. I'm disobliging. I am purposely refusing to form an opinion on the subject.

I like how claiming a degree in a social science is trying to hide something, as if it wasn't the lowest position you could be in.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 2nd February 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:31 PM   #159
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I guess if I have a bad hair day, I just have to stick my hair up in a bun like a proper white spinster.
On those days I'm tempted to appropriate the headscarf.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:50 PM   #160
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
On those days I'm tempted to appropriate the headscarf.

Good choice.

It gives you a veritable galaxy of cultures to appropriate from.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events