ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 21st June 2020, 02:12 AM   #1721
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Anybody in Britain who isn't hoarding is either unable to do so (possibly through lack of money) or doesn't understand the gravity of the situation.
Y2K, Brexit, coronavirus, all times when people hoarded and it was not necessary. The food and household supply chain has proved itself to be resilient and able to cope, only running into problems when people panic buy.
Old 21st June 2020, 02:25 AM   #1722
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I'm not advocating panic buying. I'm advocating a relatively gradual build-up of a store of relatively non-perishable items in case it all goes south in a big way. If it doesn't, great. If it does, you have a safety net.

I've been very very glad of my Brexit store during the epidemic. It has saved me from making multiple trips into shops. But Brexit in the sense of the disruption hasn't happened yet. We still don't know if our food supply will be resilient and able to cope with whatever Boris throws at us in January and it may well not. If it does, fine, I haven't lost anything. If it doesn't, I'm not starving.
Old 21st June 2020, 02:40 AM   #1723
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I'm not advocating panic buying. I'm advocating a relatively gradual build-up of a store of relatively non-perishable items in case it all goes south in a big way. If it doesn't, great. If it does, you have a safety net.

I've been very very glad of my Brexit store during the epidemic. It has saved me from making multiple trips into shops. But Brexit in the sense of the disruption hasn't happened yet. We still don't know if our food supply will be resilient and able to cope with whatever Boris throws at us in January and it may well not. If it does, fine, I haven't lost anything. If it doesn't, I'm not starving.

This. And frankly 'resilient unless people panic buy' is of little comfort if they do panic buy and you're the one who can't get essentials.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 02:59 AM   #1724
Rolfe

The stuff I was eating in April and May wasn't bought in March, it was bought in December 2018. In anticipation of a possible no-deal Brexit in March 2019. That is not panic buying, it's common sense.

It wasn't bought in anticipation of not being able to go into a shop, it was bought in anticipation of shops running short and not fancying the idea of scouring supermarkets ten or 15 miles away (in various directions) for scarce items. Nevertheless it did a good job when the imperative of staying out of shops appeared. I was lucky to be able to supplement it with fresh produce from the local hotel but I could have managed without.

In six months time we may have a double whammy. We may still be wanting to avoid shops because of the risk of infection, and the shops may be very short of stock. I'm not intending to sleepwalk towards this.
Old 21st June 2020, 03:06 AM   #1725
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Yes, I shall probably stock up a lot more than I currently am towards the end of the year if there's no extension and no trade deal.

I had actually pencilled in to go house hunting in Ireland this summer if the government proved as stupid as expected, which it has, but the pandemic prevented that. I'm not sure I could ever have brought myself to leave the country though, despite the country having chosen to leave me.
Old 21st June 2020, 04:09 AM   #1726
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here is an explanation of why there are shortages in supermarkets after schools and cafes closed. The demand for food went up because people were not eating in cafes and schools but the factories that packaged these foods could not easily divert food that would otherwise go to schools and cafes to supermarkets as they are different. For example milk is sent to schools in small cartons suitable for one child for one portion. This is something that a domestic shopper would not want to buy. Cheese is made in huge blocks suitable for restaurants and cafes, but domestic consumers, again, would not want to buy. Hence supermarkets run out of food, but farmers need to throw out the raw ingredients.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 21st June 2020, 05:22 AM   #1727
Rolfe

That's where our hotel supply system has scored. The hotel is sourcing produce in catering packs and then repackaging to sell to domestic customers. Occasionally you get rather more than you ordered or really wanted depending on how their stocks are going!
Old 21st June 2020, 08:49 AM   #1728
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's where our hotel supply system has scored. The hotel is sourcing produce in catering packs and then repackaging to sell to domestic customers. Occasionally you get rather more than you ordered or really wanted depending on how their stocks are going!
A friend recently ended up with 500g of yeast.

She's been offering some to anyone in need.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 09:30 AM   #1729
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
A friend recently ended up with 500g of yeast.

She's been offering some to anyone in need.
Lockdown stopping her getting an appointment with her GP?
Old 21st June 2020, 10:31 AM   #1730
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I did not say you were advocating panic buying. I was questioning your advocating of stockpiling. That is three times we have built up a stockpile and it was not needed.

My point is that the supply chain is very resilient and all we need to do is maybe vary what we eat and, for example, not have pasta meals so much.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:46 AM   #1731
Rolfe

Mmm. Brexit hasn't happened yet in that sense, so we don't know if a stockpile is needed or not. Having a potential catastrophe postponed is not the same as averting it.

In addition the supplies I put by for Brexit have indeed been needed as a result of the pandemic. I was able to avoid shops entirely during the period of shortages and after that time I've been able to cut down on shopping visits substantially. The fewer potential virus transmission situations you put yourself into, the less the risk.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:53 AM   #1732
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Lockdown stopping her getting an appointment with her GP?
Old 21st June 2020, 12:47 PM   #1733
sackett
Philosopher

Today at the garden store, I saw 3 people not wearing masks. One of them made no attempt at social distancing, instead standing in the door in everyone's way, talking obliviously to his phone and then to the owner. Then I heard her call him "Doctor," or, as doctors tend to hear it, "My Lord God."

I had wanted to yell at him, but when I heard that "Doctor," I gave up. Canute couldn't command the waves of the sea, so why should I try it? We must swallow our bile at times, and carry on.

His two grandsons, boys of 10 and 11, were both properly masked and careful about distancing.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2020, 12:59 PM   #1734
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

No-one in my local shops is masking up and social distancing? Yeah, right. I'm getting really funny looks for wearing one, but I'm asthmatic, I've felt what it's like to struggle to breath enough times already, thanks.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:50 PM   #1735
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Making my first trip out, other than to the supermarket, since March today: over to Swindon (about a 30 minute drive) to pick up the electric bike I ordered online from Halfords. I would have prefered to have it delivered, but that wasn't an option. Fortunately it's a folding bike, so I should be able to get it into the car OK. Halfords have been open all the time (I guess parts for bikes and cars are considered essential) so I'm expecting a smooth, sensibly socially distanced pickup operation to be in place.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:13 AM   #1736
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

First trip to the shops in two weeks and I'm happy to report that there were hardly any customers, lots of stock and I was in and out of Tesco in less than 30 minutes.

For those keeping score there was both risotto and paella rice in stock - I bought some of each - so the only thing "missing" from my shopping list was golden caster sugar (both golden granulated, and white caster were available though).

Middle class equilibrium may have been restored
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:14 AM   #1737
Cheetah
Master Poster

Preserved lemons???
Old 30th June 2020, 02:17 AM   #1738
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Preserved lemons???
Didn't check, friends from Bristol provided us with a jar by post and I'm preserving my own in a Kilner Jar - should be ready in 6 weeks
Old 30th June 2020, 02:35 AM   #1739
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Preserved lemons???
They had them in Lidl yesterday, though strangely no iceberg.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:51 AM   #1740
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Did you check underneath ? Sometimes only the tip shows
Old 30th June 2020, 03:23 AM   #1741
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No lemon curd! Or rather just one of those abominations with corn syrup and palm oil.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:45 AM   #1742
Rolfe

We started opening up yesterday. All shops that can be entered from the street (not covered arcades or shopping centres) are now open and factories and labs and so on are back at work. Our reported virus cases are so low I'm not sure whether to believe them or not, although we're certainly testing plenty (300 people tested to find a single positive).

So I'm going to make another supermarket run this afternoon. I left a lamp for repair two weeks ago when the repair shop had just opened and it's ready for collection. So I'll go to the pet store and the supermarket while I'm there. Both the council region where I live and the region where the shops are reported no new cases at all last week. I could probably yomp round there normally with no precautions and be perfectly safe, but I'll take the precautions anyway. The fact that there will be other people all over Scotland yomping into shops without taking enough care could mean that we're currently at a virus low and set to go up again. So I'll sneak out of the burrow, bring back some supplies, and burrow up again.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:14 AM   #1743
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I hit a supermarket a couple of days ago. Our governor has made masks mandatory now, and I saw only one person in the store without one. One of the staff! Sure, she was doing checkout and there's a plastic barrier but she still needs a mask.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:47 AM   #1744
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I hit a supermarket a couple of days ago. Our governor has made masks mandatory now, and I saw only one person in the store without one. One of the staff! Sure, she was doing checkout and there's a plastic barrier but she still needs a mask.
Here in Nova Scotia masks are not mandatory. In a large grocery store yesterday I would estimate around 20% of the shoppers were wearing masks. Oddly this is our 21st day of no new cases and no active cases. There is talk of opening up the borders to the adjacent Atlantic provinces so things could change.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:52 AM   #1745
Rolfe

Masks are mandatory here in public transport and everyone in the bus queue I passed was wearing one. However they're only advised in shops and I think less than 50% were wearing them and few staff. The checkout girl who served me had a good mask on which might have been a respirator mask actually but she was about the only one.

You're right, it needs to be mandatory. Even in regions that haven't had a new case reported for nine days (yay us) or 20 days (yay you).

Lucky you that your province can control its borders. In your actual original Scotia we're reviled as racists if we suggest any checks or controls on visitors from the pest-hole to the south.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:40 PM   #1746
Steve
Philosopher

Masks are mandatory here in public transport and everyone in the bus queue I passed was wearing one. However they're only advised in shops and I think less than 50% were wearing them and few staff. The checkout girl who served me had a good mask on which might have been a respirator mask actually but she was about the only one.

You're right, it needs to be mandatory. Even in regions that haven't had a new case reported for nine days (yay us) or 20 days (yay you).

Lucky you that your province can control its borders. In your actual original Scotia we're reviled as racists if we suggest any checks or controls on visitors from the pest-hole to the south.
The only land border is between NS and New Brunswick and is only about 25 km long. The ferry dock to Newfoundland is also located here. It is fairly easy to isolate as and when necessary.

I would sure like to see much more extensive use of masks.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:44 PM   #1747
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Major shortage of slug pellets. We are about to run out and beer traps are the alternative.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:56 PM   #1748
Rolfe

Never use metaldehyde. Horrible stuff. Huge numbers of pets killed every year.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:06 PM   #1749
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I haven't looked for canned soup anyway, but would surmise that part of this is not just hoarding, but people who in ordinary times would be going out for a quick meal at lunch hour, now making a quick lunch at home.

I forgot to respond to this earlier. Good observation; I think you may be right.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:20 PM   #1750
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I went to Meijer this morning for the first time in a several months, because I was looking for a few things I haven't been able to find at Kroger. I didn't check everywhere because I was in a hurry (plus I didn't have a mask on because I couldn't find the one I had in my car ). Not too many other customers had masks; certainly well under half. All of the employees had them, though.

I noticed the same shortage of sliced meat that Kroger's been having; I suspect that this is due, as bruto suggested, to the fact that more people are eating lunch at home now.

And one thing they finally have, in abundance, is hand sanitizer. I still have about 1/3 left of the very large, almost full bottle that I luckily had on my desk at work when this all started, so I didn't buy much; just a small pocket bottle. I realized after that I should have bought a medium-sized bottle for my desk, though, now that I'm back to going into the office.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 08:48 PM   #1751
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This shall appeal to homisson.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:37 PM   #1752
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Major shortage of slug pellets. We are about to run out...
It is probably because they are all constipated from the coronavirus.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:39 AM   #1753
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

We're out of tp again. Yay. Spike in Victoria has people worried again.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:32 AM   #1754
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
We're out of tp again. Yay. Spike in Victoria has people worried again.
Suggest people in Victoria work out why the phrase "who gives a crap" is relevant for buying toilet paper.
Old 14th July 2020, 01:55 AM   #1755
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't been to the shops for a while. Tescos have abandoned their one-way system and their queueing system and it was a return to the usual free for all .

Items I was unable to get today were Ginger Beer and a dustpan and brush (we have a new cat and need more litter trays which means more mess). I didn't look for masks but I presume that the announcement that they are mandatory in English shops from 24 July will cause a round of panic buying and stockpiling.
Old 14th July 2020, 02:15 AM   #1756
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No shops around here are selling masks that I've noticed. I did order some about 4 weeks ago expecting to see masks being made compulsory so have 50 disposable ones on hand. On Saturday ordered another 50, have to see if they appear tomorrow when they are due.

My Tesco has been excellent so far in trying to ensure a safe-as-can-be environment, not been this week but it will be sad if they've now dropped it all.

The best shop around here throughout this has been Homebase, the staff have done everything possible and actively promoted social distancing, even asking groups of people to stop browsing until other people move on from their browsing.
Old 14th July 2020, 02:43 AM   #1757
Rolfe

I saw on the news here that a Tesco store was being praised for handling it well. They've removed the one-way system that wasn't working anyway but kept the 2-mrtre markings. Everyone is wearing masks and negotiating their own 2-metre space.

Of course masks are already compulsory here and we've kept the 2-metre distance except for specific places that have notices out warning people that they're entering a 1-metre zone so if they don't like that they can stay out.
Old 14th July 2020, 02:44 AM   #1758
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No shops around here are selling masks that I've noticed. I did order some about 4 weeks ago expecting to see masks being made compulsory so have 50 disposable ones on hand. On Saturday ordered another 50, have to see if they appear tomorrow when they are due.
Odd. Here every supermarket and pharmacy, and most smaller stores, I've been inside for the last few weeks have had plenty of them.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 10:19 AM   #1759
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Odd. Here every supermarket and pharmacy, and most smaller stores, I've been inside for the last few weeks have had plenty of them.
I scored a 36-pack of Carmin extra soft at Costco last week.
Old 14th July 2020, 11:12 AM   #1760
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I scored a 36-pack of Carmin extra soft at Costco last week.
I was talking about masks.
Plenty of toilet paper too though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events