ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa , protest incidents

Old 4th June 2020, 12:40 AM   #81
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Should have realized when I saw dann was the thread starter

Yes, you should.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:42 AM   #82
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Do you think boogaloo boys are antifa?

They are militia nuts with a 4chan twist. Firmly right wing.
Old 4th June 2020, 04:54 AM   #83
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Do you think boogaloo boys are antifa?
They are militia nuts with a 4chan twist. Firmly right wing.

I think that was Checkmite's point.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:58 AM   #84
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think that was Checkmite's point.
If that's the case, apologies checkmite.

The only examples of "agitators" seen so far are right wing ones, like Checkmite's example. Boogaloo boys have explicitly, prior to the Floyd murder, endorsed the idea of taking an unrelated protest or confrontation and escalating it to lethal violence. Their goal is lethal conflict between the state and the public.
Old 4th June 2020, 05:08 AM   #85
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I Am The Scum just made a sloppy argument in that little sidetrack.

That's it.
No, I actually made myself clear. I wasn't joking when I said you can go back and read my post again.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 06:28 AM   #86
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I really don't understand why alt-right people always want to play this game of, 'yes, but antifa are bad, too!'
They don't even get close to committing the violence of alt-righters and other racists.

Come on, you understand it perfectly. They know the facts aren't on their side, but they don't care. They'll say whatever they need to say to keep their idiot followers in line. It isn't about convincing you or me; they know we see through their BS. They're playing to their own audience. You are just a prop in their pantomime act.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:21 AM   #87
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I know what their strategy is, and I know that they are playing to their audience. But it is still surprising to see that Trump doesn't seem to understand that even his audience may notice when he is saying one (conspicuously stupid) thing one moment, and the next he is corrected by his scientific advisers. This makes some fans lose confidence in him, obviously, and also in some of the things that they have come to believe in their fact-resistant bubble. (Even more so when his stupidity is so obvious that even many fanboys can see on their own that he is more ignorant than they are.)

We have now had this game of 'antifa are more violent than the alt-righters' a number of times, and they lose it every time because the lie is so obvious and easy to refute. This makes me think that these right-wing bubbles like 4chan make them lose sight of reality to the extent that they don't even realize that it is very different from the real world where people actually know about things or at least are willing and able to look things up if they don't.

It seems to come as a surprise to Arcade22, for instance, that even if we don't know much about Swedish antifa and their vandalizing (= smashing a couple of windows) of the home of an (allegedly "center-right politician"), it's very easy for us to find out about them online.

I'm with Joe Morgue (at least I think it was him) on this one: We can't simply ignore these guys. If we do, we help them get away with their performance. We make it much easier for them to convince a gullible, but maybe not yet mean-spirited audience.

Last edited by dann; 4th June 2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:40 AM   #88
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

The point of blaming antifa is deflecting from the very real, grassroots anger that is flaring up across the country right now about the very real problem of police brutality and impunity.

It's pretty gross that these protests, largely instigated by urban blacks that are fed up with being brutalized by the police, is now being attributed to leftist white agitators.

Blaming antifa scares people who don't live in the cities, and there has been a concerted effort by the right to make people in sleepy suburbs afraid that antifa terrorists are going to come with torch and gun to loot their safe, white towns.

Once sufficiently scared, the public will be more open to violent military and police suppression of demonstrations.

This is a propaganda campaign to sweep the real problem and possible solutions out of view.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th June 2020 at 07:41 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 07:51 AM   #89
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I know what their strategy is, and I know that they are playing to their audience. But it is still surprising to see that Trump doesn't seem to understand that even his audience may notice when he is saying one (conspicuously stupid) thing one moment, and the next he is corrected by his scientific advisers. This makes some fans lose confidence in him, obviously, and also in some of the things that they have come to believe in their fact-resistant bubble. (Even more so when his stupidity is so obvious that even many fanboys can see on their own that he is more ignorant than they are.)

See, we keep saying, "Oh, they simply must notice his contradictions! This simply must convince some of them to abandon him!", but that rarely seems to actually happen. Did you watch any of Obama's town hall the other day? I watched some on Facebook, where you can see comments from others live as they come in. I'd say about a third were right wingers spouting the same nonsense about Obama they've always spouted. Like, he was the race-baiter, he was the most divisive President in history, he was the one who never tried to do anything for the black community, plus not a little of the "Barry Soetoro" birther crap still mixed in.

They either don't get it, or don't want to get it.

Quote:
I'm with Joe Morgue (at least I think it was him) on this one: We can't simply ignore these guys. If we do, we help them get away with their performance. We make it much easier for them to convince a gullible, but maybe not yet mean-spirited audience.

I'm not telling you to ignore them, just stop acting like you don't understand them.

It's the same as when we argued with 9/11 Truthers. You know they're full of ****, and will never acknowledge their errors and lies, but you point out the errors and lies so that people who aren't yet Truthers can at least see a counter-argument before they decide what to believe.

We're props in their pantomime, but we can use them as props as well.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:53 AM   #90
Masque
Student

You can no more declare antifa the enemy than you can declare progressivism or leftism the enemy.
I'm sorry, but I thought the latter had already happened?
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 08:38 AM   #91
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
They either don't get it, or don't want to get it.

The ones you're talking about don't want to get it, but I think that even some of those are beginning to realize that they may have been betting on the wrong horse and that now is the time to quit in order to avoid the backlash. They are bloody cowards and opportunists, and they won't stick with Trump when it stops being fun and/or rewarding for them.
Haven't you noticed a certain .... despondency in the usual suspects in this forum very recently? In this thread, for instance?

At this point, I am beginning to think that a military coup isn't out the question to remove the chaotic Psychopath in Chief. Many military leaders are obviously embarrassed by having him in charge.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
I'm not telling you to ignore them, just stop acting like you don't understand them.

I think I understand them pretty well, and I don't act as if I don't. What I said I didn't understand was their inability to see that they are losing the game. And I think that some of them are beginning to realize it.
Old 4th June 2020, 09:34 AM   #92
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

ANTIFA EXPOSED IN SHOCKING VIDEO

https://twitter.com/ShaneSheehy/stat...59131453075460
Old 4th June 2020, 09:58 AM   #93
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Project Veritas always knows best.
It has a 100% track record.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:06 AM   #94
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The ones you're talking about don't want to get it, but I think that even some of those are beginning to realize that they may have been betting on the wrong horse and that now is the time to quit in order to avoid the backlash. They are bloody cowards and opportunists, and they won't stick with Trump when it stops being fun and/or rewarding for them.
Haven't you noticed a certain .... despondency in the usual suspects in this forum very recently? In this thread, for instance?

I think I understand them pretty well, and I don't act as if I don't. What I said I didn't understand was their inability to see that they are losing the game. And I think that some of them are beginning to realize it.

The opportunists and cowards will try to fade away unnoticed, and we should let them do that (at least until after the election). But they will never admit that they were taken in, or supported Trump out of cynical opportunism.

The ones who are still arguing are the real supporters. They're either too stupid to know they're losing, or they know it, and are going for the Hail Mary play, hoping they can turn the tide and stay in the game. They will also never admit defeat, even as Trump is frogmarched out of the West Wing. They're the guys standing next to Hitler in the bunker, voicing approval of his plans for redeploying troops who are already dead or captured.
Old 4th June 2020, 10:36 AM   #95
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Project Veritas always knows best.
It has a 100% track record.
Some actual criticism of their nonsense.

Quote:
The "Project Veritas Investigator" in the "expose antifa" video claims that "Rose City Antifa holds required lectures for prospective members in secret at In Other Words bookstore before they open," which is interesting because In Other Words closed in June 2018.
And it's still going to work. The right is in love with idiotic conspiracy theories.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 11:45 AM   #96
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

If that's the case, apologies checkmite.

The only examples of "agitators" seen so far are right wing ones, like Checkmite's example. Boogaloo boys have explicitly, prior to the Floyd murder, endorsed the idea of taking an unrelated protest or confrontation and escalating it to lethal violence. Their goal is lethal conflict between the state and the public.
That is indeed my point, and represents the greatest irony. The president and his AG have given Important Statements about how "antifa" is responsible for the crime that has been taking place concurrently with the protests - against FBI internal assessments that have been finding no connection - and meanwhile the actual arsonists and conspirators who have actually being busted so far have all been alt-righters or thieves who say they just wanted some money.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 12:23 PM   #97
dann
Penultimate Amazing

It is so damn obvious that they aren't real antifas. Real antifas would never have revealed our secret Xmas strategy.
Old 4th June 2020, 12:26 PM   #98
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post

And it's still going to work. The right is in love with idiotic conspiracy theories.
Time machines people, ANTIFA HAS TIME MACHINES!

Crap someone quick save Hitler! They are going to throw milkshakes on him!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 12:27 PM   #99
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Antifa stole the medical masks to be used for looting!
Old 4th June 2020, 01:33 PM   #100
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Oh my god, was that video serious? I was sure it had to be a parody of Project Veritas. That's some Jacob Wohl level stupid ****.
Old 4th June 2020, 01:43 PM   #101
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Oh my god, was that video serious? I was sure it had to be a parody of Project Veritas. That's some Jacob Wohl level stupid ****.
No, Turkey's video was a parody, not an excerpt*, of an "expose" posted recently.

I think it was, at least. I could be wrong. Satire is dead, etc.
Old 4th June 2020, 02:58 PM   #102
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

No, Turkey's video was a parody, not an excerpt*, of an "expose" posted recently.

This is the worst part of it all. I honestly don't know anymore. Reading your second line, I'm not sure if you're going for meta-satire or not.

I used to be smarter than this!
Old 4th June 2020, 03:05 PM   #103
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Radical left friends of yours Dann?

https://www.newsbreak.com/pennsylvan...by-his-parents

https://abc7ny.com/3-charged-in-molo...tator/6225018/

https://www.heraldonline.com/news/na...243197106.html
Old 4th June 2020, 03:06 PM   #104
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Even when they have to resort to illegal violence like thugs. How admirable and righteous of them.
It isn’t admirable.

It may be necessary.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:18 PM   #105
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

As for bricks, they don't exist LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Us0aUTQZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT3PWtS-AZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvStEq6xFdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSafgDMI2o

Finally these weren't bricks, they were actually marshmallows!

"We're on your side! We're on your side!"

Comedy gold!

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/stat...08618432638976
Old 4th June 2020, 03:27 PM   #106
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Which ISF member is this? C'mon don't be shy.

https://twitter.com/search?q=white%2...rc=typed_query
Old 4th June 2020, 03:39 PM   #107
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I believe the video is excerpted from the "expose", but with parodied audio dubbed over it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:08 PM   #108
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Attention all aspiring Antifa members, Malcolm has a message for you.

NSFW

https://twitter.com/Malcolm_fleX48/s...59410481131521
Old 4th June 2020, 04:23 PM   #109
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
As for bricks, they don't exist LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Us0aUTQZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT3PWtS-AZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvStEq6xFdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSafgDMI2o

Finally these weren't bricks, they were actually marshmallows!

"We're on your side! We're on your side!"

Comedy gold!

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/stat...08618432638976
The bricks are real, nobody ever claimed otherwise. But there were no pallets of bricks delivered just for the protesters to take advantage of.

About those bricks....

White House Forced to Retract Claim Viral Videos Prove Antifa Is Plotting Violence

The gullible White House believed the bricks were intentionally placed for the protesters, but building is currently occupied by morons who have a tendency to believe anything that fits their worldview.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #110
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Who actually thinks a brick is a useful size to throw any distance?
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Breaking windows is trivial, there's always something around to do it with. A chair, a dustbin, some rocks or sticks lying around, someone who brought a hammer or some other objects, ... Of all the windows that have been broken during these events, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find one that was broken with a brick.
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The bricks are real, nobody ever claimed otherwise. But there were no pallets of bricks delivered just for the protesters to take advantage of.

About those bricks....

White House Forced to Retract Claim Viral Videos Prove Antifa Is Plotting Violence

The gullible White House believed the bricks were intentionally placed for the protesters, but building is currently occupied by morons who have a tendency to believe anything that fits their worldview.
Free comedy
Old 4th June 2020, 04:39 PM   #111
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

I think they found the White Supremesists Dann was talking about:

https://twitter.com/MarkDice/status/1268680995361812480
Old 4th June 2020, 06:04 PM   #112
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Oh you actually think that's real. You poor thing.
Old 4th June 2020, 06:45 PM   #113
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Oh you actually think that's real. You poor thing.
You might want to read the very bottom of that image champ.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:14 PM   #114
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You might want to read the very bottom of that image champ.
I honestly can't tell if you're attempting to parody right-wing foolishness or become an example of it.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:19 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
They are again engaged in their false equivalency desperation, as if anyone was not going to notice the difference between a slap in the face and a knife in the kidney. They're both violence after all!

'Black lives matter.' is answered with, 'No, ALL lives matter! All lives are hard!'

'Right wing attacks are doing a lot more damage right now.' is answered with, 'All ideologies have terrorist!'

It's pretty ******* hilarious that they both decided to go back fifty years to find something even close.
I don't like Antifa much too many of them seem enamoured of left wing dictators like Mao...but they are a threat to nobody.
But I am distrubed that so many people here refuse to see any stupidity on the political left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 07:20 PM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I honestly can't tell if you're attempting to parody right-wing foolishness or become an example of it.
Oh, he is a definent example of it. Look at his postign history
I see once again I am in a minority who can see stupidty on both sides of the political specturm, instead of seeing it onlyu on the side i don't like.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 07:21 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Your attempts to prove racism is not a serious prollme in thsi coutnry are truly astounding.
But then in another thread you were posting crap a bout Floyd, with the obvisuos implication hew got what was coming to him.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:31 PM   #118
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see once again I am in a minority who can see stupidty on both sides of the political specturm, instead of seeing it onlyu on the side i don't like.
Nobody in their right mind denies the existence of stupidity on both sides. But the fact is, the American right-wing has a stake in approximately 95% of it. From conspiracy theories, to Christian dominionism, to an outright hatred of science and information, nobody else comes even close.
Old 4th June 2020, 07:49 PM   #119
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Nobody in their right mind denies the existence of stupidity on both sides. But the fact is, the American right-wing has a stake in approximately 95% of it. From conspiracy theories, to Christian dominionism, to an outright hatred of science and information, nobody else comes even close.
No question about it...but there are segments of the left trying their darndest to make a game of it.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2020, 01:08 AM   #120
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, he is a definent example of it. Look at his postign history

The problem is that you are so obsessed with seeing "stupidty on both sides of the political specturm" that you get upset when people point out to you that some of the stupidty was made up by the other side. You may not have noticed, but spreading the stories about violent socialists made up by fascists puts you in the category of people like Trump Jr.
That is nothing to be proud of, dudalb. It's actually a very good thing that you are "in a minority"

Dit your spellchecker get the 'rona or something?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events