ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:09 PM   #41
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Since which player gets the white pieces is randomised, it's the same as doing a coin flip to determine who moves first anyway.

But I think it would be better with purple and green pieces. Purple fights green, green fights purple.
I can do you any combination of pink, purple and yellow. We don't have green though, sadly.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:11 PM   #42
mumblethrax
Species traitor

You can definitely trust a guy who bills himself as a "professional economist."
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:14 PM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
No it isn't because it's the white piece which always gets to move first. I want the black piece to move first.
Then do it. Unless you're participating in an official organised tournament, there's no reason not to.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:18 PM   #44
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Then do it. Unless you're participating in an official organised tournament, there's no reason not to.
Black pieces move first? I think that would upset the space-time continuum and the universe would disappear. Don't risk it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:20 PM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They could just make all the pieces the same colour.

Together in unity of a great melting pot of humanity!

I mean why oh why to people insist on taking out others anyway?

Re do the layout so all the pieces are sitting in a circle. As if in a symbol of understanding
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:21 PM   #46
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

You could do a Star Trek (TOS-the real Star Trek) themed set where one side has black and white pieces with black on the left, and one side has black and white pieces with black on the right.

The players would resolve who goes first by fighting to the death.

It might make the subsequent game kind of long, though. "HEY! It's your move!"
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:28 PM   #47
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
You could do a Star Trek (TOS-the real Star Trek) themed set where one side has black and white pieces with black on the left, and one side has black and white pieces with black on the right.

The players would resolve who goes first by fighting to the death.

It might make the subsequent game kind of long, though. "HEY! It's your move!"
With the ones in the red shirts at the front.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:32 PM   #48
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I remember being 8 years old and seeing an ad for a "Star Trek chess set" in some magazine or other, maybe the TV Guide? One of those luxury whatever sets that are a few hundred dollars and you have to pay in installments. At the time it looked like the coolest damn thing on Earth; but something strange must've happened to me since then, because every "themed" figurine chess set I look at now just looks tacky as all hell.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 10:55 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I remember being 8 years old and seeing an ad for a "Star Trek chess set" in some magazine or other, maybe the TV Guide? One of those luxury whatever sets that are a few hundred dollars and you have to pay in installments. At the time it looked like the coolest damn thing on Earth; but something strange must've happened to me since then, because every "themed" figurine chess set I look at now just looks tacky as all hell.
My local game store had a LOTR set in their display case a while back. It looked awesome. Incredibly expensive, though.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:06 PM   #50
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
How is the colour of chess pieces a race issue? Some presenters on the ABC apparently think it might be. I find the whole idea ridiculous.

I don’t want to see funding of the ABC reduced at all (Labor also was not a friend of the ABC when in power). I just think that in the climate you describe, they would be better judges about what they cover. And the colour of chess pieces should be on the bottom of their list.
I think we should examine all symbols. Why do some people get outraged at a simple questioning?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:12 PM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm about as woke on this matter as anyone, and even I think there are other things we ought to be thinking about first. If the chess community wants to do something about it, I think that'd be great. But I won't be demanding anything.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:12 PM   #52
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Chess is Racist

I think readers are projecting too much into White's motivations. Maybe it is just an unpleasant color, or having a bad day?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:16 PM   #53
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The white Queen is just a Karen.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:19 PM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My local game store had a LOTR set in their display case a while back. It looked awesome. Incredibly expensive, though.
There are also Star Wars Chess sets. Overpriced Gimmick CHess Sets abound.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:21 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are also Star Wars Chess sets. Overpriced Gimmick CHess Sets abound.
Yeah. If only I had more money than I knew what to do with.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:22 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I think we should examine all symbols. Why do some people get outraged at a simple questioning?
Becuase it's damn annoying amd a waste of time.
You seem to want to overturn everything for the sake of overturning everything.
I note you tried to hijack this thread.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:26 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Becuase it's damn annoying amd a waste of time.
You seem to want to overturn everything for the sake of overturning everything.
I note you tried to hijack this thread.
No tears, mate.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:41 PM   #58
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The white Queen is just a Karen.
This is actually funny.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:51 PM   #59
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yeah. If only I had more money than I knew what to do with.
Don't go there dude.

I have a Westminster, a couple of Stauntons, a Florentine, and a strange ceramic one that someone made in hobby classes.

They're very difficult to display, and the fancier sets are very distracting when you're trying use them for playing chess.

(Did beat a friend once because he kept confusing the King and Queen in one set)

I'm still thinking about getting a full Lewis set (I only have three pieces) and an Alice in Wonderland (many different examples of that one)...

Seriously, stick to beautiful dice... They're much easier to use and display.

* novaphile admires his Dwarven Stones...
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:53 PM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I have a modest collection of dice. More than a non-gamer would expect, but nowhere near the size that other people have.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th June 2020, 12:06 AM   #61
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Don't go there dude.

I have a Westminster, a couple of Stauntons, a Florentine, and a strange ceramic one that someone made in hobby classes.

They're very difficult to display, and the fancier sets are very distracting when you're trying use them for playing chess.

(Did beat a friend once because he kept confusing the King and Queen in one set)

I'm still thinking about getting a full Lewis set (I only have three pieces) and an Alice in Wonderland (many different examples of that one)...

* novaphile;13135856 admires his Dwarven Stones...
I have some dice.

They are black with white dots.

I think the number of dots is important when using them.

This may mean I am secretly racist.

Old 24th June 2020, 12:22 AM   #62
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Funnily enough, I bought chess sets to play. Back in the 70s, when I played a lot, there was always a chess board in action in lunch rooms and I often played chess with visitors. Yeah, I know, unbelievable.....

I actually studied the game and many classical openings. As such, I was almost always on top from about 10-20 moves. That's when technique fell away and I was victim to those who had natural chess talent, or at least pattern recognition. I lost more than I won.

But this isn't about chess.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:27 AM   #63
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

On my OE I brought a marble board one with brass figures of Greek soldiers in Corfu.

Dragged the thing across the world home and have no where to display it.

Slightly annoying. But it still looks cool when I get it out to play.

Old 24th June 2020, 12:32 AM   #64
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Because white moves first. Seriously.

This is being argued by Australia's national broadcaster, the ABC:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-s...60fc5f4d9fff48

It would not surprise me to see that some members of this forum think this is a serious issue worthy of debate. If so, let's hear the reasoning.

The NZ National Soccer Team the All Whites must now be worried (and probably the All Blacks as well), as will all teams where white colours dominate their strip.

I will no doubt be accused of trolling, but the debate about white pieces in chess is happening now. I'm not making this up. In fact before today, I would not have been able to envisage such a debate.
It's also sexist because the king is more important than the queen.
It's also religiously exclusive, because you have bishops but not imams or shamans.
It also promotes animal abuse, beacuse a knight can also be called a horse and it's one of the easiest pieces to sacrifice.
It also strongly promotes sacrificing the lowliest members of society - pawns.

Rooks are fine I guess, at least until we have Architects for Building Rights movement. I figure we're fine until 2030 or so, when feces really do hit the fan.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 24th June 2020 at 12:34 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:35 AM   #65
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Since which player gets the white pieces is randomised, it's the same as doing a coin flip to determine who moves first anyway.

But I think it would be better with purple and green pieces. Purple fights green, green fights purple.
The four player variant has white, black, blue and red.

McHrozni
Old 24th June 2020, 12:57 AM   #66
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

And what about black print on white paper or computer screens? The black is clearly the minority color there! Just look at this page!!!!

As for chess, though, I'm totally in favor of Starwarsifying it. They should be darkside pieces and lightside pieces!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 01:26 AM   #67
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
And what about black print on white paper or computer screens? The black is clearly the minority color there! Just look at this page!!!!

They should totally rename Dark Mode as Woke Mode
Old 24th June 2020, 01:30 AM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post

As for chess, though, I'm totally in favor of Starwarsifying it. They should be darkside pieces and lightside pieces!
obviously the Stormtroopers would be on the White side, of Law&Order.
Old 24th June 2020, 01:38 AM   #69
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Have we looked at the ethnicity of people who play chess at the world championship level? Is there a proper representation of ethnicities as a per capita ratio population wise? Is systemic racism a problem?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 24th June 2020 at 01:40 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 01:43 AM   #70
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Have we looked at the ethnicity of people who play chess at the world championship level? Is there a proper representation of ethnicities as a per capita ratio population wise? Is systemic racism a problem?
Check Mate!
Old 24th June 2020, 01:48 AM   #71
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Because white moves first. Seriously.

This is being argued by Australia's national broadcaster, the ABC:
Is this true, or did you read it on a Newscorp site.

Do you think it might just be possible if this is, as most of James Valentine's stuff is, light-hearted and tongue in cheek?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 01:52 AM   #72
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Is this true, or did you read it on a Newscorp site.

Do you think it might just be possible if this is, as most of James Valentine's stuff is, light-hearted and tongue in cheek?
Look around. It’s widely reported and the ABC has not issued statements denying the report.

As I said in the OP, I don’t want to believe it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th June 2020, 01:53 AM   #73
shuttlt
Philosopher

How about if white takes a black piece, black gets to set fire to the board?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:05 AM   #74
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Pieces - Check
Board - Check
Big Barrel of Coloured Sashes - Check!

The travel game is going to take up more of the car though.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 24th June 2020 at 02:14 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:06 AM   #75
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Look around. It’s widely reported and the ABC has not issued statements denying the report.

As I said in the OP, I don’t want to believe it.
Well why do you just repeat a claim made by Newscorp (a rival media outlet who really, really want the ABC gone)?

I mean even if it was serious, asking the question "is it racist?" does not imply the the ABC have formed a view that it was racist.

It seems fanciful to the extreme that James Valentine would have formed the serious view that this was racist.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 24th June 2020 at 02:16 AM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:06 AM   #76
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
How about if white takes a black piece, black gets to set fire to the board?
That would be a new one.

Currently, when a black piece threatens any White non-pawn, all Black pieces get locked up in the Box.
Old 24th June 2020, 02:20 AM   #77
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That would be a new one.

Currently, when a black piece threatens any White non-pawn, all Black pieces get locked up in the Box.
Maybe if each piece has to stay on it's own color?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:33 AM   #78
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well why do you just repeat a claim made by Newscorp (a rival media outlet who really, really want the ABC gone)?

I mean even if it was serious, asking the question "is it racist?" does not imply the the ABC have formed a view that it was racist.

It seems fanciful to the extreme that James Valentine would have formed the serious view that this was racist.
Oh cut it out.

Firstly I know about James Valentine. I tuned in to him when I was often in NSW. He does deal with non-humorous topics all the time.

Secondly I heard about this topic on TV news, googled it and posted the first non-paywalled link. If you think this is some sort of Murdoch stunt, please provide evidence.

Finally, I didn’t say that the ABC has formed a view on the topic. Entertaining the idea to the extent of asking chess experts and scheduling a program about it is ridiculous enough.

And, although I’m not the topic of this thread, I love the ABC, I am rusted on Labor (although Albo is really testing me), marched in many left wing protests starting with the Moratorium (youngest daughter continues the custom) and as far from a tool of Murdoch as you can find.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th June 2020, 02:46 AM   #79
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Entertaining the idea to the extent of asking chess experts and scheduling a program about it is ridiculous enough.
All you know is what someone on twitter has claimed an ABC producer has asked him and by his reaction this person seems pretty anti-ABC to begin with.

I can't get the Telegraph article as it is behind a paywall, but I can see enough to see that they are also claiming the host slammed Minties for being white.

Now think about this. Don't you think that if James Valentine slams Minties for being white then there is at least the outside possibility that he is joking?
Old 24th June 2020, 02:57 AM   #80
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

All you know is what someone on twitter has claimed an ABC producer has asked him and by his reaction this person seems pretty anti-ABC to begin with.

I can't get the Telegraph article as it is behind a paywall, but I can see enough to see that they are also claiming the host slammed Minties for being white.

Now think about this. Don't you think that if James Valentine slams Minties for being white then there is at least the outside possibility that he is joking?
It’s been 24 hours now and this has gone around the world. Where’s the ABC press release denying this?

These’s skepticism and then there’s head in the sand.

As I said, I hope I’m wrong about this bit of ABC stupidity. If you are right, why the delay? In fact if a see something now from the ABC denying this whole thing, I’d bet on damage control, nothing else.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events