ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:37 AM   #161
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They are peasants who have to ransack and loot the enemy's homeland to afford a sex-change.
You don't know that some of them aren't female, you chauvinist.

eta: Maybe they're just upwardly mobile female peasants. It is called promotion, after all.

Last edited by Upchurch; 24th June 2020 at 11:40 AM.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:40 AM   #162
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
The one thing chess cannot be accused of being is sexist. True, the game ends when the king is captured, but that only shows that the king is a coveted possession, a trophy for which the battle is being fought, the Helen of Troy of the game. The king, he is a veritable stay-at-home hausfrau that staggers around one step at a time, forever coddled and protected by others; and, what is more, the most powerful of its protectors is the queen, dashing around the board in all magnificence, killing man and beast left and right.
A total and complete misreading of Chess, which is extremely sexist. Perhaps when babies play chess it is something like what you described.

In real chess games, the king sits back and his castle and throws the queen out to be sacrificed, to die, fiddling in useless conflict. The king sits back and watches them die, stumbling all over each other. However, when the end game comes, the king emerges and demonstrates who is the true master. The mighty king shows his complete mastery, and, having proven his worth, hooks up with a new queen.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:46 AM   #163
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It would not surprise me to see that some members of this forum think this is a serious issue worthy of debate. If so, let's hear the reasoning.
So, I'm not reading 4 pages of a thread because I just can't take the assertion that chess is racist seriously, but...did anyone ever explain the reasoning behind "It would not surprise me to see that some members of this forum think this is a serious issue worthy of debate"?

Or is this just another case of a bunch of people howling and screeching about "Virtue-signalling SJW beta cuck soyboy cancel culture #MuteRKelly wokescold intersectional stack!"

I mean, I'm sure I can find you someone from the Black Hebrew Israelites or some other lunatic group that would actually argue that chess is racist. But I'm not going to bother if it's just the same people that using the same meaningless buzzwords and mangled Black Twitter slang to show that they're the white equivalent of that sort of gibberish.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:49 AM   #164
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Don't even get me started on Othello; it's obviously intended to symbolize race war/genocide, with the goal being to turn as much of the land area of the board to your color.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:26 PM   #165
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Saw the Babylon Bee post this on Twitter earlier:

Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:40 PM   #166
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
You also have 16 pieces on the board that are on a quest to become explicitly female pieces, although few make it.
I have seen quite a few checkmates where the pawn decides to be a knight rather than a queen, as a knights move is something the queen cannot do.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:40 PM   #167
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You wonder why I have not quoted angry denials from the ABC that Adams was telling the truth?

Because there aren’t any. Which I find extremely surprising. The ABC is a huge media organisation being criticised in a widespread manner over this. If the criticism is inaccurate, why no comment?
Respectfully, I implore you to reexamine the burden of proof, and how you have misapplied it to this topic.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:42 PM   #168
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
Thanks for making my point that the progressives of today can easily turn everything in an 'enemy of justice'. No thanks I am rather leaning toward the Left. Unlike you I am pricing Reason very highly.
Please quote what the ABC has actually said that you find so bothersome.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 12:48 PM   #169
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
The one thing chess cannot be accused of being is sexist. True, the game ends when the king is captured, but that only shows that the king is a coveted possession, a trophy for which the battle is being fought, the Helen of Troy of the game. The king, he is a veritable stay-at-home hausfrau that staggers around one step at a time, forever coddled and protected by others; and, what is more, the most powerful of its protectors is the queen, dashing around the board in all magnificence, killing man and beast left and right.
pedantic nitpic,
generally the game ends when you demonstrate that the king will die be captured on the next move, then everyone accepts that the game has ended. The king isn't actually killed captured and possibly lives on to survive on another chessboard, the lucky lucky bastard.

Last edited by p0lka; 24th June 2020 at 12:50 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 01:27 PM   #170
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
So, I'm not reading 4 pages of a thread because I just can't take the assertion that chess is racist seriously, but...did anyone ever explain the reasoning behind "It would not surprise me to see that some members of this forum think this is a serious issue worthy of debate"?

Or is this just another case of a bunch of people howling and screeching about "Virtue-signalling SJW beta cuck soyboy cancel culture #MuteRKelly wokescold intersectional stack!"

I mean, I'm sure I can find you someone from the Black Hebrew Israelites or some other lunatic group that would actually argue that chess is racist. But I'm not going to bother if it's just the same people that using the same meaningless buzzwords and mangled Black Twitter slang to show that they're the white equivalent of that sort of gibberish.
This thread, like many on this forum, has gotten to this length mainly because it provides members the means to display their wit. YMMV.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 01:31 PM   #171
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I would not jump to the conclusion that going first is an advantage or a privilege. Some players prefer black because white goes first. They may have a number of things in mind depending on what white does.
Old 24th June 2020, 01:35 PM   #172
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Take a game played on this set seriously : https://www.chesshouse.com/collectio...mmer-chess-set

You can't, even if you somehow manage to avoid Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Point Break references.
The queen is a ******* longboarder?! Shouldn't the King be the mellow dope smoking longboarder and the Queen be the big wave Gun?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:33 PM   #173
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The queen is a ******* longboarder?! Shouldn't the King be the mellow dope smoking longboarder and the Queen be the big wave Gun?
The Longboard Always Rules

Moving bravely on to page 6...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:46 PM   #174
angrysoba
Philosophile

You wonder why I have not quoted angry denials from the ABC that Adams was telling the truth?

Because there aren’t any. Which I find extremely surprising. The ABC is a huge media organisation being criticised in a widespread manner over this. If the criticism is inaccurate, why no comment?
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, then, that must mean that ABC has adopted as official policy that chess is racist, and that they were planning to have a Very Important Debate about it. That must be why the journalist who wrote the article didn't report approaching ABC for a comment.

Although, of course, James Valentine has "made it clear approaching Mr Adams was to have a discussion, not brand chess as ‘racist’."

This journalist did approach ABC for a comment and, in doing so, lo and behold they got one! Who'd have thought?

Still, since that's technically accurate (as the statement was issued before the interview) but doesn't tell the whole story (because the interview did happen), perhaps they're lying in order to cover up the horrible truth that ABC has instituted a policy that henceforth chess should be considered racist.
Ah! But the dog didn’t bark angrily! It is very important that massive publicly funded Organizations deny things in an angry way: “tuck off we never called chess racist you pieces of ****!”

If I don’t see that, then I have to take some reactionary attention-seeker at their word and accept that it’s the actual racists who have a point after all!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 02:56 PM   #175
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I know this is a brief derail, but the Mail had two corkers today. In a review of Michaela Coel's new series the reviewer said that it was great because it made you realise that black people are just like normal people, and Norman Tebbit authored an article in which he described Hitler as left-wing. WRT to the latter, I saw one wag comment that it was brave of him to admit he was further to the right than Hitler was.
Hitler was one of those namby pamby liberals after all!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 06:57 PM   #176
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I think this thread is going pretty well, don't you?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 07:12 PM   #177
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I think the majority of posters have used reason and evidence to show that the OMG Political Correctness haz gone mad where will it all end???? narrative was overblown and baseless nonsense.

So, yeah, it has gone pretty well.

Old 24th June 2020, 07:32 PM   #178
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Ultimately yes and I’m glad the ABC didn’t proceed with a debate, however:

Quote:
Although, of course, James Valentine has "made it clear approaching Mr Adams was to have a discussion, not brand chess as ‘racist’."
Have a discussion about what? Not modern opening strategies or the weather. Maybe, just perhaps, the reaction to the proposal made the ABC come to its senses. Stranger things have happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 08:33 PM   #179
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I would not jump to the conclusion that going first is an advantage or a privilege. Some players prefer black because white goes first. They may have a number of things in mind depending on what white does.
For me, it also varies with the opponent.

If I am playing a clearly inferior opponent, or someone at about the same level as me, I would prefer white

If I am playing someone who I know is a higher level player than me, I prefer black.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 09:19 PM   #180
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

If I am playing a clearly inferior opponent, or someone at about the same level as me, I would prefer white

If I am playing someone who I know is a higher level player than me, I prefer black.
May I ask why?

At my level (pretty low, USCF 900) I kind of like playing black because most people I play against play king's pawn openings, and I can respond with the Caro-Kann, which is the one opening I know fairly well, but which isn't seen as frequently at this level. So, I can sometimes turn that into an opening advantage. Against a superior opponent, I want every little bit of help I can get, so I like white. Not that it matters a lot. As mentioned previously, with low level players, there's not much of a color advantage.

I haven't played an actual tournament in several years, though. I was going to renew my membership and go to one that was going to be held at the end of March. Yeah. That didn't happen.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 24th June 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 09:23 PM   #181
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Ultimately yes and I’m glad the ABC didn’t proceed with a debate, however:

Have a discussion about what? Not modern opening strategies or the weather. Maybe, just perhaps, the reaction to the proposal made the ABC come to its senses. Stranger things have happened.
I still have to wonder if the whole idea wasn't just trolling. I've heard the "chess is racist" meme before, but only as a joke. A putdown to hypersensitivity. I have a hard time believing anyone, anywhere, took it seriously. The best I can think is that the ABC didn't take it seriously, but thought someone else might, and it would make for entertainment.
Old 24th June 2020, 09:28 PM   #182
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It's interesting that the most powerful piece is the queen and it protects the much weaker king. If it were the other way around perhaps we could have a thread about chess being a tool of the patriarchy.

Anyway it made me curious enough to go look it up and it seems the piece was originally a "vizier", changed its identity to a queen toward the end of the 10th century and various rule changes in the next several hundred years left it the most powerful piece on the board. So there you go. Even threads like this can result in learning something.
You saying chess has not eternally existed in the form I came to love in childhood? Fetch my fainting couch.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 09:30 PM   #183
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
May I ask why?

At my level (pretty low, USCF 900) I kind of like playing black because most people I play against play king's pawn openings, and I can respond with the Caro-Kann, which is the one opening I know fairly well, but which isn't seen as frequently at this level. So, I can sometimes turn that into an opening advantage. Against a superior opponent, I want every little bit of help I can get, so I like white. Not that it matters a lot. As mentioned previously, with low level players, there's not much of a color advantage.

I haven't played an actual tournament in several years, though. I was going to renew my membership and go to one that was going to be held at the end of March. Yeah. That didn't happen.

You may, since I am never likely to pay against you......

The answer is, I don't really have any idea why, I just do. It could be that I prefer to be reactive in cases where I am "outgunned", and proactive against a lesser opponent. It might even be psychological. Its one of those things that has worked well for me - have generally had more success against superior opponents when I have played black.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 09:44 PM   #184
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

I understand you may feel more comfortable that way, but the value of white increases with the strength of the players. I always prefer to play black because I figure the handicap will make me better in the long run and I enjoy counter-punching. However, when winning is the top priority, I try to play white for obvious reasons.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:12 PM   #185
Senex
Philosopher

I will kick any/all of you using the Grob.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2020, 11:44 PM   #186
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
I will kick any/all of you using the Grob.
You might, but I bet I'm ahead at 20 moves.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:38 AM   #187
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Got it in one.
Old 25th June 2020, 03:40 AM   #188
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've certainly enjoyed it immensely.
Old 25th June 2020, 03:55 AM   #189
metacristi
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Sorry, is this a pitch? Or are you speculating?

I'm afraid is the sad truth. Otherwise I am again moved (read tired) by the uncritical revolutionary impetus of some...

ibn Warraq - Why I am not a Muslim

My view of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book 'Heretic'

Last edited by metacristi; 25th June 2020 at 03:56 AM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:57 AM   #190
3point14
Pi

I'm afraid is the sad truth. Otherwise I am again moved (read tired) by the uncritical revolutionary impetus of some...
Did you put the back of your hand to your head at the injustice of it all? That you're so clever and they're all so stupid and, oh, my, what a burden to be the only man that can see in the world of the blind?

That sort of thing?

I bet you did.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:11 AM   #191
metacristi
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This is so damn stupid . It is the kind of thing that plays inot the hands of the actual racists.

Remove first the logic (at least its excesses) which made this as being more than a joke and I bet we will be safe. Listen to Zizek for example

Last edited by metacristi; 25th June 2020 at 04:16 AM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 04:13 AM   #192
metacristi
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Did you put the back of your hand to your head at the injustice of it all? That you're so clever and they're all so stupid and, oh, my, what a burden to be the only man that can see in the world of the blind?

That sort of thing?

I bet you did.

See above, I have no intention to convince Pharisees.

Old 25th June 2020, 04:17 AM   #193
3point14
Pi

Oh my.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 06:03 AM   #194
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Dude is much further down the rabbit hole than I realized.
Old 25th June 2020, 06:10 AM   #195
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Those would be the whited sepulchers?
Old 25th June 2020, 01:11 PM   #196
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Right, confirming the obvious conclusion that an advantage in development is, in fact, an advantage.
Exactly! It's like the dullards who say there is no inherent advantage to being goofy at Pipe! An idea so ludicrous that it makes me laugh out loud! Of course, there's an advantage! Gerry Lopez anyone? I rest my case.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 02:16 PM   #197
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Exactly! It's like the dullards who say there is no inherent advantage to being goofy at Pipe! An idea so ludicrous that it makes me laugh out loud! Of course, there's an advantage! Gerry Lopez anyone? I rest my case.
Who's goofy? What's Pipe? Who's Gerry Lopez?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 02:35 PM   #198
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The reason white has a 1% better chance of winning than black is surely because the winner of the previous game goes first and, being the likely better player, therefore ups the probability which is an illusion based on the aforesaid advantage of the winner.

'Don't surround yourself with yourself
Move on back two squares' - Yes, 'Your Move'

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 03:22 PM   #199
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The reason white has a 1% better chance of winning than black is surely because the winner of the previous game goes first and, being the likely better player, therefore ups the probability which is an illusion based on the aforesaid advantage of the winner.

'Don't surround yourself with yourself
Move on back two squares' - Yes, 'Your Move'
No. After the first game, players swap colours. And the winning difference is far more than 1%. 4-5%, with this difference increasing with the skill of the players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_and_Black_in_chess

Quote:
Statistical analysis shows that White scores between 52 and 56 percent at most levels of play, with White's margin increasing as the standard of play improves.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 25th June 2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 25th June 2020, 03:27 PM   #200
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Who's goofy? What's Pipe? Who's Gerry Lopez?
Bite your tongue, kook.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events