ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th June 2020, 10:22 AM   #41
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I've been kind of chuckling at this part two; I have quite a few Hispanic friends who are paler than I am (and I'm Irish).

I will say that there is an obvious process that immigrants go through in transitioning to becoming "white" white. First they are strange and exotic and their food is considered weird. They cluster in areas (think Little Italy and Chinatown), and they speak their native tongue at home. But their kids quickly become absorbed in American culture--baseball, hot dogs and muscle cars and before you know it, they are as white as they can be. Oh, maybe they're not quite the same shade, but then whites come in quite a few gradations (very few of which are actually white). And along the way, parts of their culture get absorbed into ours; pizza is probably more popular here than it is in Italy, and salsa has outsold ketchup in the US for years now.
Certainly some of this is true, especially of European immigrants. But for others, such as Chinese and the darker skinned immigrants, assimilation has been much more difficult. They often haven’t been allowed to be fully accepted as members of the majority culture no matter how much they’ve tried to adopt it. Looking “too” different evoked segregation and racism. And even positive stereotypes can still underlie racism and separation.

I am not saying that on an individual basis even some White racists don’t conditionally “accept” individual members of these groups as “okay” ... But the USA society as a whole still seems to view folks who aren’t a certain level of “white” in their appearance as not “white” in their place in society either.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events