ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 29th June 2020, 07:37 AM   #41
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,822
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Never mind. Having a dissenting opinion on threads like this is pointless....
Oh noes! People disagree with your opinions? You poor dear.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:38 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Yeah, getting rid of trolls makes Twitter a more enjoyable platform.
Disagreeing about the definition of the word "gender" is neither trolling nor transphobic.

Get a grip.

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
I think he's a special case, banning him would be very tricky.
Exactly. Their principles can be sacrificed when it's convenient.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Mmmm hmmm. Twitter and ISF are cruelly persecuting your free speech.
Translation: "Ha ha ha! WE have the power now!"
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:42 AM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Translation: "Ha ha ha! WE have the power now!"
If that were true then whole threads wouldn't exist, and there'd be a lot of deleted posts, and bannings and suspensions for disagreement.

And yet, that's not happening.

What's happening is some people are upset to find their views aren't as popular as they imagine they are.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:43 AM   #44
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
No. As was pointed out above there are plenty of others Tweeting things such a cabal would be suppressing if they existed. Even in your own example, they allow another account to post exactly what Trump does--if he were the one very special exemption to their "woke" crusade they'd have kept the duplicate banned.
They only un-banned it because the hypocrisy was pointed out by many many people - the same way accounts are brought to the Twitter Woke Cabal in the first place - by many many people reporting it to them. If person X Tweets something nasty to half a dozen followers and a dog on a string it doesn't come to their attention
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:47 AM   #45
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Never mind. Having a dissenting opinion on threads like this is pointless....
Huh? Why?

If you're putting yourself forward as a dissenting voice, then you can't very well complain that people aren't agreeing with you. That goes with the territory.

I haven't made up my mind about what I think of Graham Linehan's situation.

I take it that he is of the opinion that trans-gender people are delusional about their gender, is that correct?

If he is merely stating his opinion of that, then I don't see why he was banned. If his behaviour is some form of harassment of individuals, then I can see why he was banned.

Do you know which it was?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:47 AM   #46
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
They only un-banned it because the hypocrisy was pointed out by many many people - the same way accounts are brought to the Twitter Woke Cabal in the first place - by many many people reporting it to them. If person X Tweets something nasty to half a dozen followers and a dog on a string it doesn't come to their attention
It can't be much of a powerful cabal exerting mighty control over speech if they are easily swayed by people complaining.

It amazes me that people think they're being persecuted by powerful forces but also that said forces must back down if someone complains to the manager or threatens to tell the BBB. "I am the victim of unholy powers of great might! But I won after all, because I'm just that great and I said a mean thing about them on my Facebook feed so they caved!"

Getting your way proves you aren't the victim of powerful enemies. If they really existed and really had power you wouldn't have won.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:52 AM   #47
Garb
Muse
 
Garb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes. Let's get rid of anyone you disagree with. That's the way to foster open communication......
That's not at all what I am saying.
__________________
When I changed to my new computer, I was worried about info on the old computer being used for identity theft and such. Folks said: "Just yank the hard drive" and somesuch.

But I blew up the apartment. Only way to be safe.
-kookbreaker
Garb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:53 AM   #48
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Personally, I wouldn't ban people for any type of opinion, however nasty it is. And I definitely wouldn't prosecute for it, which unfortunately is becoming common.

I think that transphobic opinions, Holocaust denial, racism, bigotry of all kinds should be protected speech.

If, on the other hand, people are specifically being targeted or being made targets through incitement of others to do physical violence, or if there is harassment involved then I think it is easy to make the decision to ban someone (or in more serious cases bring in the old Bill).

Actually, this is where Linehan comes up against a charge of hypocrisy as he was in favour of seeing that guy with the Nazi dog prosecuted (IIRC). His excuse that he, Graham Linehan not suffer consequences for his opinions, and the Nazi pug guy facing consequences (including legal ones), is that he, Graham Linehan, has the right kind of politics, and Nazi pug dog guy does not.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:54 AM   #49
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It can't be much of a powerful cabal exerting mighty control over speech if they are easily swayed by people complaining.

It amazes me that people think they're being persecuted by powerful forces but also that said forces must back down if someone complains to the manager or threatens to tell the BBB. "I am the victim of unholy powers of great might! But I won after all, because I'm just that great and I said a mean thing about them on my Facebook feed so they caved!"

Getting your way proves you aren't the victim of powerful enemies. If they really existed and really had power you wouldn't have won.

No - it took *Many many* people complaining that someone merely copying the presidents tweets shouldn't be banned, something I think is pretty cut and dry - where the Woke Twitter Cabal come in is with the edge cases that don't get as much attention
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:56 AM   #50
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,577
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No, not silly. Pointless in the prevailing hive mind of this forum. Where long standing and brilliant members like Rolfe and others are dismissed for not toeing the line.
No it's more about the insane delusions they have. Like how they believe that in Canada trans-women can get away with severe sexual harassment, including taking pictures of naked minors in public changing-rooms. There's nothing that can be done about that in Canada, because as soon they say that they identify as female no one dares stop them out of fear of being called transphobic.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 29th June 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:01 AM   #51
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,587
I can't get over the BBB thing. Holy ****, he reported Twitter to grandpa Yelp.

But yeah, the idea that Twitter is run by a cabal of woke activists is some high grade reds-under-the-bed *********. There probably is a values divide here, but it's just generational. The average age of a Twitter employee is like 17, the typical Twitter user is in the 25-34 range, whereas the median age on this forum is 104. Don't get me wrong, I love that. I come here to feel young again.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:03 AM   #52
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
No it's more about the insane delusions they have. Like how they believe that in Canada trans-women can get away with severe sexual harassment, including taking pictures of naked minors in public changing-rooms. There's nothing that can be done about that in Canada, because as soon they say that they identify as female no one dares stop them out of fear of being called transphobic.
Um...what? How is it allowed that adults can take pictures of naked minors in public changing rooms?

I mean, how would it be okay for a grown woman to do it any more than for a grown man?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:05 AM   #53
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
No - it took *Many many* people complaining that someone merely copying the presidents tweets shouldn't be banned, something I think is pretty cut and dry - where the Woke Twitter Cabal come in is with the edge cases that don't get as much attention
Okay. There's a mighty cabal on a crusade of persecution, but for now they only stick to the shadows because they're afraid of being complained about. But one day soon they'll strike out to seize Poland, slay the Jedi, and from hidden machine gun nests mow down the righteous Karen as she waddles toward the manager.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:06 AM   #54
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,920
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Disagreeing about the definition of the word "gender" is neither trolling nor transphobic.

Get a grip.
Twitter disagrees. They have decided deliberately misgendering people is not behavior they want on their platform.

Not sure why Glinner is acting shocked by this. His behavior has been the cause of repeat suspensions. Absurd reasoning or not, he had to have known this was coming sooner or later as he continued to act the same way.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th June 2020 at 08:11 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:12 AM   #55
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Okay. There's a mighty cabal on a crusade of persecution, but for now they only stick to the shadows because they're afraid of being complained about. But one day soon they'll strike out to seize Poland, slay the Jedi, and from hidden machine gun nests mow down the righteous Karen as she waddles toward the manager.
Well there not sticking to the shadows are they, hence this thread and as I said it's not them being complained about, its the tweets brought to their attention.

Do you still think there's no difference between the subject of this thread and Donald Trump when it comes to being banned from Twitter or was that another zany joke?
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:13 AM   #56
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,145
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No, not silly. Pointless in the prevailing hive mind of this forum. Where long standing and brilliant members like Rolfe and others are dismissed for not toeing the line.
Yep mild disagreements on how one answers the Jewish question are not treated as the minor political disagreements that they truly are.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:14 AM   #57
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,577
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Um...what? How is it allowed that adults can take pictures of naked minors in public changing rooms?

I mean, how would it be okay for a grown woman to do it any more than for a grown man?
Because being accused of transphobia is invariably a death sentence in Canada. Death squads of the pro-trans lobby are known to summarily execute anyone who is accused of transphobia.

So no one dares do anything about it, no matter what trans-women do, out of fear that they might call them a transphobe.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 29th June 2020 at 08:16 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:41 AM   #58
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If that were true then whole threads wouldn't exist, and there'd be a lot of deleted posts, and bannings and suspensions for disagreement.

And yet, that's not happening.
Wow, talk about missing the point.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:43 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Twitter disagrees.
Well, obviously. The whole topic of the discussion is whether their policy makes sense or not. I'm pointing out to you that I think it isn't, since you seem to think that it is.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:45 AM   #60
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Because being accused of transphobia is invariably a death sentence in Canada. Death squads of the pro-trans lobby are known to summarily execute anyone who is accused of transphobia.

So no one dares do anything about it, no matter what trans-women do, out of fear that they might call them a transphobe.
Let me guess. This is taken from Linehan's latest sit-com script and he thinks it is persecution that stops it getting turned into a series.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:50 AM   #61
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,920
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, obviously. The whole topic of the discussion is whether their policy makes sense or not. I'm pointing out to you that I think it isn't, since you seem to think that it is.
Glinner responded to an innocuous comment about Pride day to remind everyone that "women aren't men". Even in the context of gender-wars, this is a needlessly petty jab at trans people in a post that has nothing to do with gender wars.

Good riddance. Let him go to these free-speech havens that inevitably turn into racist and otherwise reactionary cess-pits.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:51 AM   #62
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow, talk about missing the point.
"My views are being suppressed!!!!" she complained to the computer-using population of Earth, instantly publishing her view, free of charge. Practically the same as Thomas Paine printing those pamphlets in secret, under risk of death!
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:56 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"My views are being suppressed!!!!" she complained to the computer-using population of Earth, instantly publishing her view, free of charge.
That's not what Lionking said. Nice try.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:57 AM   #64
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Glinner responded to an innocuous comment about Pride day to remind everyone that "women aren't men". Even in the context of gender-wars, this is a needlessly petty jab at trans people in a post that has nothing to do with gender wars.
I'll grant that it could be seen as somewhat trollish, although voicing one's opinion is not trolling. It sure wasn't transphobic, though.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:57 AM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's not what Lionking said. Nice try.
I was responding to you, finding fault with your "translation".
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:00 AM   #66
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Glinner responded to an innocuous comment about Pride day to remind everyone that "women aren't men". Even in the context of gender-wars, this is a needlessly petty jab at trans people in a post that has nothing to do with gender wars.
Weirdly enough he seems to have said this to the Women’s Institute which from my understanding is a kind of blue-rinse brigade of not particularly woke ladies. My grandmother (now 101) was always going off to meetings with the WI and she thought Ghengis Khan was a tree-hugging hippy.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:01 AM   #67
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22,046
I wonder if the problem with this guy was not what he posted, but how he posted it.

I see twitter as a place for people to say things. Of course, there's the ability to respond, but when doing so, you really are in someone else's home turf.

In other words, twitter is meant for people to say:

TweeterA: These new Doritos Locos Tacos are amazing.
TweeterB: Yummm.....

Of course, people get all political about things, so sometimes you got.

TweeterA: These new Doritos Locos Tacos are amazing.
TweeterB: Death to the corporate overlords who foist unhealthy garbage on us wrapped up in racist stereotypes all for obscene profits!

Did Linehan have a habit of going into "their" spaces with his agenda?

It is said that the final straw post was saying "Men aren't women". That, to me, seems like kind of a mainstream view, and I'll bet there are lots of people tweeting lots of variations on that on twitter. However, they aren't doing it in response to a "pride" post.

If that's all it is, if the guy had a habit of responding to other people's posts by posting his own political commentary, I can see how that might be annoying.

I really don't know, because I never use Twitter. I see things that are posted when the content of the tweet is deemed newsworthy or if it "goes viral".

Last edited by Meadmaker; 29th June 2020 at 09:05 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:02 AM   #68
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,385
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's not what Lionking said. Nice try.
What actually is lionking’s complaint?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:04 AM   #69
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22,046
The true problem here is that one company has so much influence.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:06 AM   #70
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I wonder if the problem with this guy was not what he posted, but how he posted it.

I see twitter as a place for people to say things. Of course, there's the ability to respond, but when doing so, you really are in someone else's home turf.

In other words, twitter is meant for people to say:

TweeterA: These new Doritos Locos Tacos are amazing.
TweeterB: Yummm.....

Of course, people get all political about things, so sometimes you got.

TweeterA: These new Doritos Locos Tacos are amazing.
TweeterB: Death to the corporate overlords who foist unhealthy garbage on us wrapped up in racist stereotypes all for obscene profits!

Did Linehan have a habit of going into "their" spaces with his agenda.

It is said that the final straw post was saying "Men aren't women". That, to me, seems like kind of a mainstream view, and I'll bet there are lots of people tweeting lots of variations on that on twitter. However, they aren't doing it in response to a "pride" post.

If that's all it is, if the guy had a habit of responding to other people's posts by posting his own political commentary, I can see how that might be annoying.

I really don't know, because I never use Twitter. I see things that are posted when the content of the tweet is deemed newsworthy or if it "goes viral".
From what was reported it sounded like he Tweeted "at" the group. I think there's a reasonable difference between writing "I dislike the Swiss" and nailing "I dislike the Swiss" to the front door of the William Tell Society.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:18 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I was responding to you, finding fault with your "translation".
Again, as I said, you're missing the point of it.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:19 AM   #72
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,643
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Weirdly enough he seems to have said this to the Women’s Institute which from my understanding is a kind of blue-rinse brigade of not particularly woke ladies. My grandmother (now 101) was always going off to meetings with the WI and she thought Ghengis Khan was a tree-hugging hippy.
The WI's policy is to allow trans women to join. The policy is available here (as a PDF) -
https://hampshirewi.org.uk/wp-conten...der-Policy.pdf
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:19 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 90,186
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What actually is lionking’s complaint?
I thought it was pretty clear. I thought he was saying that discussion was pointless here because dissent from the orthodox position does not lead to fruitful discussion.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:21 AM   #74
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26,439
Time well spent.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:22 AM   #75
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,123
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Again, as I said, you're missing the point of it.
You could try explaining your point in a different way.

(Unless of course you already did, but the Society of Shadow deleted your post.)
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:23 AM   #76
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,920
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I can't get over the BBB thing. Holy ****, he reported Twitter to grandpa Yelp.
Right this moment, BBB goons have Jack Dorsey's head in a vice, making him reinstate the account.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:32 AM   #77
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,046
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If that were true then whole threads wouldn't exist, and there'd be a lot of deleted posts, and bannings and suspensions for disagreement.

And yet, that's not happening.

What's happening is some people are upset to find their views aren't as popular as they imagine they are.
I keep telling you guys that. Ever heard of "tyranny by the minority"?

But back towards the OP. "use of words" seems to be the SOP in today's zero tolerance world. I'm sure all the social media services judge posts not on content, but on use of inflammatory words used. It's easier to do a word search that to parse the meaning. It's the way people who think they represent a majority view around here work. Let me demonstrate: "People with kinky black hair are just as smart as people with straight blonde hair". I'll be called a racist in 3-2-1-...
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced idea is indistinguishable from idiocy to those who don't actually understanding the concept.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:34 AM   #78
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,643
I disapprove of language.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:49 AM   #79
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,890
Down with this sort of thing!
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:51 AM   #80
Ron Obvious
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 140
Careful now.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.