ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags timed out , mdc , challenge application , catherine monetti

Old 27th December 2004, 12:42 PM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

CATHERINE MONETTI, MA, RN, "TT"

This application arrived on June 8, 2004. I responded by accepting her application, and asking the BIG THREE Questions (as you must certainly all be quite familiar with by now), centering on HOW the applicant proposes to demonstrate the claim.

I received no response to my queries. On June 8, 2005, barring any forthcoming communications, her file will be closed.

==============================================

DECRIPTION OF DEMONSTRATION:

Over the past 6 years, the phenomenon herein described occurs each and every time I engage in the mutual process of Therapeutic Touch. To date, I have had more than 50 such experiences. Moreover, this technique, and the result, is both teachable and replicable, as my students have had the same experiences.

Practicing TT from a position of profound relaxation and centeredness, and with "PURE INTENTION", I engage in the traditional TT method. During the first hands-on grounding of the client, I emote feelings from the client.

Most significantly, and this is the replicable, intrapsychic experience I intend to demonstrate, during final, hands-on grounding, I receive mental images, in color, that, without suggestion, are always validated by the client. These images are related to eitherr unresolved, bodily-stored emotional trauma, or the inherent strengths/experiences in the client needed to heal and overcome these issues.

Respectfully Submitted, Catherine Monetti, MA, RN

Like I said - I received no reply to my request for more data.

This happens a LOT.
Old 10th January 2005, 08:32 AM   #2
KRAMER

An Email from Nurse Monetti (1-10-2005)

Mr. Kramer:

Pasted below is the correspondence, and response, I sent to you, via e-mail, on June 15th, 2004. Obviously, you never received and read my response to your three questions (as below - I had "responded to author"). I would advise you to go back and check your e-mails.

They are here for your reading now, AND...

I would demand that you correct, as a courtesy, the RUDE and erroneous posting you made on the website.

You say that "no reply happens a lot". Well, how often do you check your e-mails? How convenient...

If your challenge truly is legitimate, and I DOUBT it is, then I would challenge YOU to let me participate. The work that I do, and this healing ability, cannot work with any form of malintention. The minimal correspondence I've had with you thus far has not made a good impression on me - AT ALL. Your tone is one of continuous rudeness and arrogance.

Now, I challenge YOU to post THIS response.

Catherine Monetti, MA, RN

And here are the replies to my 3 questions that Nurse Monetti claims to have sent way back in June 2004, which arrived this morning along with this email...

1- How do you propose to DEMONSTRATE your claim?

The way I experience it - by actual demonstration, with human
participants.

2- Under what CONDITIONS?

No set conditions.

3- With what degree of ACCURACY?

Myself having 100% accuracy, I would propose at least 90% accuracy; i.e. 9 out of 10 times. I would need to work with ten different individuals.

Thank you.

I checked my emails from May thru July and found nothing from this applicant.

I don't like it when applicants suggest that the Challenge is a sham.

I responded to Nurse Monetti's email with the following:

You challenge me to post THIS letter? Check the website in about an hour.

p.s. Your "demands" will be ignored. We cater to no such whims.
Old 10th January 2005, 09:33 AM   #3
KRAMER

Nurse Monetti's file;

Nurse Monetti claims that my tone has been "one of continuous rudeness and arrogance".

That's strange, considering the fact that I exchanged (until today, anyway) a single email with her.

All correspondence with applicants is kept in a file bearing the applicant's name. ALL correspondence. That means each and every letter, email, fax, etc.

I just checked Nurse Monetti's file. It contains only her claim letter & application, and the following reply:

Dear Ms. Monetti,

I am in receipt of your Challenge application and claim letter.
Before it can be processed, we need to know the following:

1- How do you propose to DEMONSTRATE your claim?

2- Under what CONDITIONS?

3- With what degree of ACCURACY?

Once we have this information from you, we can begin to negotiate a mutually agreeable test protocol.

Please respond to these 3 questions via email. There is no need to make any further trips to the Post Office.

Once a test protocol has been agreed to and a test date and location has been determined, your application will be signed by Mr. Randi and returned to you.

Yours, M. Kramer
JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 21st March 2005, 09:37 AM   #4
KRAMER

Vanishing Act?

Many, many applicants never respond to our acceptance letters. In other words, they send an application, we accept it and respond by asking protocol-related questions, and then the applicant utterly vanishes.

Before we close a file of an applicant who has not responded to us in many motnhs, we attempt to contact them one last time and give them a final chance to pick things up where we left off.

This applicant became angered about her appearance in the JREF forum, wrote an angry email to me, and vanished.

Here is the email I sent to her today:

============================================

Dear Ms. Monetti,

Do you have any intention to carry through with the JREF Paranormal Challenge application you submitted in June, 2004? If not, we will close your file.

Please advise.

-Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 21st March 2005, 09:56 AM   #5
KRAMER

A reply...

Dear Sirs:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I would ask that you please keep my file open. In the midst of developing an experimental protocol and criteria by which to judge success, I will contact you in the near future.

Sincerely, Catherine J. Monetti, MA, RN

===========================================

Dear Ms. Monetti,

Your file remains open for 12 months following the submission of your application.

On June 8, 2005 your file will be CLOSED unless we are actively working with investigators toward an acceptable test protocol.

You have offered no indication whatsoever that you are serious about being tested, and, in fact, have so far only challenged the legitimacy of the JREF Challenge.

Your file WILL be closed on June 8 unless you have revived your interest in submitting your claim to an appropriate test.

-Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 8th June 2005, 10:35 AM   #6
KRAMER

Received on June 7

Dear Mr. Kramer:
Please accept this e-mail as expression of my revived interest in submitting my claim to an appropriate test.

============================================

Dear Ms. Monetti,

Interest alone is hardly enough to maintain an OPEN status on your Challenge Application.

As previously stated in my most recent email to you, you must be actively working toward the determination of an acceptable test protocol. We have no evidence that this is taking place.

Please feel free to re-apply in one year.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications