IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:00 AM   #41
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
???

I don't even know how to react at this lunacy any more

I do.

"Oh crap. He's figured out how to tweet video clips."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:38 AM   #42
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Self identified. They are blind calls for the most part and request all identification information from the respondent.
Thanks for the info. Live outside the US.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:42 AM   #43
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Every friend and foe is in deep consultation with psyche ward profilers to see how to push the nut buttons on this loser.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:44 AM   #44
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Every friend and foe is in deep consultation with psyche ward profilers to see how to push the nut buttons on this loser.
The buttons appear to be both numerous and quite easy to push.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:54 AM   #45
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I do.

"Oh crap. He's figured out how to tweet video clips."
Surely he had help.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:54 AM   #46
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

And then there is this

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bi...rticle/2627654
Quote:
Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price appeared on two Sunday shows trying to sell the Republican healthcare bill that is currently stalled in the Senate.

Price responded strongly when questioned about the tweets by NBC host Chuck Todd.

"We have incredible challenges across this nation, incredible challenges around the world," Price began.

"The challenge I've been given is to address the healthcare issues, and your program, a program with the incredible history of 'Meet the Press,' and that's what you want to talk about?" Price asked.
Of course, it is his friggin boss that is the one sending out the sophomoric tweets.

What is Price's "focus on the issues" implication here? That we should ignore the President? I would like to agree, but then again, he's the friggin president!!!!

The answer to Price is simple: get him to shut up. He is the one that is distracting everyone from their job, not the press.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:05 AM   #47
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Surely he had help.
There's some speculation on alt-right boards that young Barron might be involved in some of this. They're ecstatic, of course.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:32 AM   #48
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Die normative Kraft des Faktischen.
If this means what I think it does, saying the facts are on Donald's side, no. This is not a powerful argument for him. He has a problem with reality. Yes, he won the electoral college vote. No, it wasn't a landslide. No, he didn't win the popular vote. No, Bernhard Langer was never standing in line to vote and he related no anecdote to Trump. No, he did not see thousands of Muslims celebrating 9/11. No, The NFL never called him about debate scheduling. If you are saying Trump has the facts on his side, he almost never does. He is attractive to people who want to see weak U.S. leadership that serves Vladimir Putin's interests. Trump is good for Russia. He's horrible for the U.S., unless his presidency opens people's eyes enough to see why we never want such a president again.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:33 AM   #49
Childlike Empress
Banned

Twitter has turned into a precious ocean of triggered pre$$titute tears. Apparently it never occured to these freaks that wrestling is a show.

And btw, it takes something very unhealthy to convince oneself that the POTUS is a "loser". Just saying.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 2nd July 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:40 AM   #50
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Twitter has turned into a precious ocean of triggered pre$$titute tears. Apparently it never occured to these freaks that wrestling is a show.

And btw, it takes something very unhealthy to convince oneself that the POTUS is a "loser". Just saying.

I have to agree.

The behavior of our POTUS is definitely unhealthy.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:43 AM   #51
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If this means what I think it does, saying the facts are on Donald's side, no. This is not a powerful argument for him. He has a problem with reality. Yes, he won the electoral college vote. No, it wasn't a landslide. No, he didn't win the popular vote. No, Bernhard Langer was never standing in line to vote and he related no anecdote to Trump. No, he did not see thousands of Muslims celebrating 9/11. No, The NFL never called him about debate scheduling. If you are saying Trump has the facts on his side, he almost never does. He is attractive to people who want to see weak U.S. leadership that serves Vladimir Putin's interests. Trump is good for Russia. He's horrible for the U.S., unless his presidency opens people's eyes enough to see why we never want such a president again.

It means that the facts on the ground win over every "ideal", in this case whining about unworthiness of Trump by Capel Dodger. Die normative Kraft des Faktischen is why not every US president alive is in some prison cell as a war criminal. The Hague would be bombed before that happens, as openly stated under Bush the Lesser, and that's beyond where even Dutch idealism is willing to go while staring down the barrel of a gigantic gun.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 2nd July 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:43 AM   #52
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Actually I'd love to see Trump v Brand in a cage-fight, metaphorically speaking.
I'd love to see it literally speaking. Brand is over 6 feet tall and reasonably buff last time I checked . But then Trump has that slabby kind of fat that is almost as good as muscle, so he has mass on his side.

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd July 2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 12:12 PM   #53
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

It means that the facts on the ground win over every "ideal", in this case whining about unworthiness of Trump by Capel Doger. Die normative Kraft des Faktischen is why not every US president alive is in some prison cell as a war criminal. The Hague would be bombed before that happens, as openly stated under Bush the Lesser, and thats beyond where even Dutch idealism is willing to go while staring into the barral of a gigantic gun.
Thanks. I learned something. I predict Trump will commit war crimes, if he hasn't already, and according to you that will insulate him from prison. I'm not big on the concept of "war crimes." There's an argument to be made that if you're at war, the aim should be total victory, complete subjugation of the enemy by whatever means possible. So Trump's self-proclaimed ruthlessness doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. Of course it completely undermines the concept that the U.S. is better than that, that there is any high ground to be claimed.

But the facts on the ground do not support Trump in many different ways. He doesn't know more than the generals. He doesn't have a secret plan to defeat ISIS, unless it is simply riding on Iran and Russia's coattails. He can't deliver on any of his promises and some his Cabinet members are beginning to show signs of disillusionment at Trump's ignorance, incompetence, self absorption and utter inability to face facts on the ground. If the U.S. elects him again, it's over. I'm sick for my country. Many times it has failed to live up to its ideals, but IMO those ideals are worth striving for. You live in a country that has embraced idealism after blood-soaked genocidal nationalism turned out to be a dead end. If it rises again I don't have much hope for the world.

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd July 2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added "incompetence"
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:39 PM   #54
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I know this will be a shocker but the guy Trump got the wrestling video from is a raging anti-Semite.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:41 PM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

WTF?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:42 PM   #56
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
WTF?
Today is also the one year anniversary of the Star of David tweet.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 02:53 PM   #57
NoahFence
Banned

Scumbag needs to be put down.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:08 PM   #58
Belz...
Fiend God

What is it with people and Jews, anyway?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:24 PM   #59
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That gif is exactly the sort of thing I might have created for facetpost.com. In context it may be humorous. The fact that The PDJT reposted it himself, sans comment, is what is so alarming about it.

Perhaps if he had added something like "Look at this funny gif someone made!" it might have taken some of the intensity out. As it stands, it reads as official policy.
Old 2nd July 2017, 03:34 PM   #60
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
As it stands, it reads as official policy.
I imagine that it was meant to. As loathsome as I find Trump to be, his repulsive traits have been plainly on display since the campaign trail. We got what it said on the tin.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 04:48 PM   #61
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Gasp! Justice Department's Corporate Crime Watchdog Resigns, Saying Trump Makes It Impossible To Do Job.

Quote:
One of the Justice Department’s top corporate crime watchdogs has resigned, declaring that she cannot enforce ethics laws against companies while, she asserts, her own bosses in the Trump administration have been engaging in conduct that she said she would never tolerate in corporations.

Hui Chen --*a former Pfizer and Microsoft lawyer who also was a*federal prosecutor -- had been*the department’s compliance counsel.*She left the department in June and*broke her silence about her move in a recent LinkedIn post that sounded an alarm about the Trump administration’s behavior.

“Trying to hold companies to standards that our current administration is not living up to was creating a cognitive dissonance that I could not overcome," Chen wrote. “To sit across the table from companies and question how committed they were to ethics and compliance felt not only hypocritical, but very much like shuffling the deck chair on the Titanic. Even as I engaged in those questioning and evaluations, on my mind were the numerous lawsuits pending against the President of the United States for everything from violations of the Constitution to conflict of interest, the ongoing investigations of potentially treasonous conducts, and the investigators and prosecutors fired for their pursuits of principles and facts. Those are conducts I would not tolerate seeing in a company, yet I worked under an administration that engaged in exactly those conduct. I wanted no more part in it.”
Old 2nd July 2017, 04:57 PM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess we should just ignore these drops in the bucket, even though the bucket is now overflowing.

Fake news!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 05:10 PM   #63
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That webpage is full of click-bait. Guess that's the norm.
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:00 PM   #64
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Is it sad that, despite not having internet at my place, I venture to my local cafe-bar-liquor store to check what the hell he has done now rather often? I am not unemployed, mind you, but this seems to be a second job these days. Actual concern? Morbid curiosity? I have gotten to the point and have luckily been gone from the US for long enough and few enough ties that I actually tell people, "not my country!"
No purpose to this post, simply thinking out loud
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:36 PM   #65
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I guess we should just ignore these drops in the bucket, even though the bucket is now overflowing.

Fake news!
Well, since government is permitted to do things corporations cannot, there actually isn't a conflict. Different entities have different rules.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:49 PM   #66
SezMe
post-pre-born

What does that mean?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:54 PM   #67
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I have to agree.

The behavior of our POTUS is definitely unhealthy.
Not my POTUS. I don't support him. But I do have to say that this is the type of hilarious stuff I looked forward to when trump won the election.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:57 PM   #68
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Well, since government is permitted to do things corporations cannot, there actually isn't a conflict. Different entities have different rules.
Another entirely incorrect post. Your premise does not lead to your conclusion because there is considerable overlap between the two.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:00 PM   #69
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Not my POTUS. I don't support him. But I do have to say that this is the type of hilarious stuff I looked forward to when trump won the election.
Remember when Trump voters said that Trump would act more maturely once in office?

I guess I was correct in not believing that for a second.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:02 PM   #70
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Remember when Trump voters said that Trump would act more maturely once in office?

I guess I was correct in not believing that for a second.
I remember. I never believed it either.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:02 PM   #71
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Another entirely incorrect post. Your premise does not lead to your conclusion because there is considerable overlap between the two.
Quote:
declaring that she cannot enforce ethics laws against companies while, she asserts, her own bosses in the Trump administration have been engaging in conduct that she said she would never tolerate in corporations.
The fact that she would not tolerate it in corporations is the point. The same rules do not apply to the two groups. Therefore there is no conflict.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:38 PM   #72
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is, his supporters seem to love this stuff. At least the ones who are vocal on the Internet.

"Haha. The precious snowflakes are triggered again! Trump wins again!!!"

To them he's like the Rodney Dangerfield character in Caddyshack, causing all the elitist old squares to clutch their pearls with his boorish behavior.
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:12 PM   #73
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

The "oh, Trump made everyone crazy, but it's just a dumb tweet" defenses have begun.
Those defenses are stupid and irresponsible. /1

Whoever made the tweet's video is just some childish cultist. Fine. But for the most powerful man in the world to send it out is nuts. /2

Forget, for the moment, whether Trump was serious about physically attacking CNN. The larger issue is his state of mind. /3

This is a 71 year old man, supposedly Leader of the Free World and our Commander in Chief, occupying his time like a teenage **********. /4

On a Sunday morning before our most important American national holiday, this is what he thinks is worth his time. It obsesses him. /5

He does not understand his own legislative initiatives. He has no interest in foreign affairs. But he has time to tweet dumb videos. /6

He does not wake up terrified every day that he does not understand the immense realities of his job. (The rest of us do.) /7

Instead, his first impulse - and we know this because we can track his schedule and movements with Twitter - is to attack media enemies. /8

Trump's supporters should be horrified that all they hoped for from him is a lie. Instead, they're as smug as the media they criticize. /9

Gone are the "we'll keep him accountable" assurances. Now it's "CNN and Joe and Mika are babies." As if this is an excuse. /10

Others merely ask for Trump to stop tweeting, as if *not seeing* his tweets will reassure them that he's regained his emotional balance. /11

The cult are is beyond the reach of rational criticism. They're the Obama cult on steroids, the Clinton cult set to "thermonuclear." /12
[Something is wrong with the first sentence in this tweet. The second looks lile a false equivalence to me. Be hey, can't agree with everything Nichols says.]

But the conservatives who claimed to be concerned but vigilant now have to step forward and just own this. Own it or repudiate it. /13

No more "concern," no more "he's not a politician," no more "he's authentic." None of that works, except for the rubes and angry hicks. /14

If you embrace this, just admit that you don't give a damn about American health, security, or anything else. Just your resentment. /15

If now all you care about is making CNN and the NYT mad, say so. That'll save us all time not having to pretend you care about policy. /16

But as the GOP - and America - melts down in a flaming dumpster, don't blame the media or elites or anyone else.
You are the enablers. /17x

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/sta...46248699904000
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:16 AM   #74
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You're ignoring that his overall approval is still in the high 30's so overall number of respondents that approve of his performance isn't changing. This "increase in GOP overall approval" just shows that fewer respondents are identifying as Republican and his approval is higher with the shrinking group of self identified Republicans.
I'm not ignoring that at all but if his approval among the GOP is in the 80's especially the mid to high 80' then he will almost certainly get the Republican nomination in 2020 if he seeks it (and the fact that he is already actively campaigning for 2020 indicates that he likely will). With the GOP "machine" behind him, some GOP supporters and independents who don't like him will still vote for him because of party allegiance or because they refuse to vote for the Democratic Party candidate.

OTOH in 3 years time a lot of people who are not pro-Trump will be so tired by his antics and GOP policy that they will start to become disenchanted with a democratic process that can put this kind of President in office. If that's the case then unless the Democratic Party put up a candidate who is actively attractive (as opposed to merely being a competent politician who isn't Trump) then these people won't turn out to vote and Trump could once again become President with a minority of the popular vote but by winning the electoral college.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:12 AM   #75
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not ignoring that at all but if his approval among the GOP is in the 80's especially the mid to high 80' then he will almost certainly get the Republican nomination in 2020 if he seeks it (and the fact that he is already actively campaigning for 2020 indicates that he likely will). With the GOP "machine" behind him, some GOP supporters and independents who don't like him will still vote for him because of party allegiance or because they refuse to vote for the Democratic Party candidate.

OTOH in 3 years time a lot of people who are not pro-Trump will be so tired by his antics and GOP policy that they will start to become disenchanted with a democratic process that can put this kind of President in office. If that's the case then unless the Democratic Party put up a candidate who is actively attractive (as opposed to merely being a competent politician who isn't Trump) then these people won't turn out to vote and Trump could once again become President with a minority of the popular vote but by winning the electoral college.
Poll numbers right now are pretty meaningless. The next election is still over 3 years away.

But almost always a sitting president will be his party's nominee in the next election. Usually without a serious challenger either (since Carter).

I do suspect that Trump will have a serious challenger, but the incumbent president still has the advantage unless his approval ratings really get bad. I think it will depend on whether the economy gets worse between now and then, or some sort of major scandal (bigger than the current ones).
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:36 AM   #76
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Poll numbers right now are pretty meaningless. The next election is still over 3 years away.
The next election is 18 months away. The next presidential election is 3.5 years away. If the legislative election goes the same way the four special elections went a few weeks ago, Trump will be looking at a DNC-controlled legislature. He can't cope with that.

Quote:
I do suspect that Trump will have a serious challenger, but the incumbent president still has the advantage unless his approval ratings really get bad. I think it will depend on whether the economy gets worse between now and then, or some sort of major scandal (bigger than the current ones).
The only thing that will dislodge his support in the retard vote is a failed attempt to cope with a crisis, like Katrina did for Bush. That said, Trump isn't just slowly eroding his support base, he's also acting as a recruited for the opposition. This too could have major implications in the next couple of elections. GOP voters don't need to all vote democrat (or third party) to damage him, they just need to abstain from the elections more than they otherwise would and we could already see significant swings to the other side.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 3rd July 2017 at 01:38 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:40 AM   #77
Worm
Illuminator

I actually think Trump would, to some extent, enjoy having a Democrat controlled House. He blames them for everything anyway, this would just give him more excuses.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:42 AM   #78
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
They have at least two other options: vote third party or don't vote at all. There will be some of each among GOP voters, more than usual, I suspect. Will it be enough? We'll see, but I hope so.

Quote:
OTOH in 3 years time a lot of people who are not pro-Trump will be so tired by his antics and GOP policy that they will start to become disenchanted with a democratic process that can put this kind of President in office.
I doubt it will come so far in three more years. This could happen if Trump won again and then Pence would win after him, all victories with a minority of popular vote but a narrow electoral college victory, but not in a single election cycle.

No, the greatest danger in the next election is Trump getting a stack overrun again where his antics lose all effect. It happened in the primaries and again in the presidential elections (with Sanders supporters probably also playing a role with abstaining).

McHrozni
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:43 AM   #79
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I actually think Trump would, to some extent, enjoy having a Democrat controlled House. He blames them for everything anyway, this would just give him more excuses.
Sure, but GOP leadership wouldn't. Especially not if it looks like they will be hammered even more two years later.

McHrozni
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:10 AM   #80
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
The next election is 18 months away. The next presidential election is 3.5 years away. If the legislative election goes the same way the four special elections went a few weeks ago, Trump will be looking at a DNC-controlled legislature. He can't cope with that.
Yes there was a swing towards the Democratic Party, but all four seats were retained by the GOP. This could be the sign of wide-scale voter disenchantment with the Trump presidency, OTOH it could merely have been complacent GOP not turning out for a special election. IMO neither party has cause for complacency. So I guess it depends on what you mean by If the legislative election goes the same way the four special elections went a few weeks ago. If it means a significant swing to the Democratic Party resulting in them gaining control of the House and/or Senate then I agree that Trump will not deal well with that but if it means no net change in the number of seats then I think he will be delighted.

My message to the Democratic Party would be that you cannot rely on "not Trump" to get you back in the game, you need a clear, enticing message well communicated.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics