IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th July 2017, 07:56 AM   #401
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The journalist is definitely right of centre as well
That's an understatement.

Quote:
As social projects go, this wasteland was a tough sell, but neo-Marxists are nothing if not dogged. They built critical theory as a vehicle for change and began the deconstruction of the West.

Frankfurt School academics fleeing Adolf Hitler’s Germany transmitted the intellectual virus to the US and set about systematically destroying the culture of the society that gave them sanctuary.

America’s freedom of speech was its achilles heel. Critical theorists were given university pulpits and a constitutionally ordained right to preach, grinding its foundation stones to dust. Since 1933 they have been hellbent on destroying the village to save it.
Surprised he isn't pro-Trump.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 08:13 AM   #402
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The journalist is definitely right of centre as well
That is Australian right of center. Probably makes him a librul in USA politics.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 09:18 AM   #403
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

'Natch.

Quote:
Reporting by McClatchy, including nearly 20 interviews and hundreds of pages of documents — some from litigation involving Trump and his businesses — shows that the president put in place unusual policies that allowed him to keep the high one-time fees charged to new members and put language in his club rules that allowed him to spend the money on anything he wanted.

“It’s definitely unusual,” said Jay Karen, CEO of the National Golf Course Owners Association, who has been in the golf club business for two decades. “It certainly reflects a clever and shrewd way to raise capital.”
Grifters gonna grift.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:13 AM   #404
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That's an understatement.

Surprised he isn't pro-Trump.
The article is behind a paywall -- are you referring to the Australian TV journalist in the video, Chris Uhlmann, or to the guy who tweeted the video, Amarnath Amarasingam?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:14 AM   #405
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The article is behind a paywall -- are you referring to the Australian TV journalist in the video, Chris Uhlmann, or to the guy who tweeted the video, Amarnath Amarasingam?
Chris Uhlmann.

ETA: The article wasn't behind a paywall earlier today. I guess they don't want people seeing now.

Last edited by Stacko; 9th July 2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 9th July 2017, 11:20 AM   #406
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Chris Uhlmann.

ETA: The article wasn't behind a paywall earlier today. I guess they don't want people seeing now.
Yeah, I found another reference (and critique) at the Guardian.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:27 AM   #407
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
"Trump stands up to Soros-funded globalist banksters."

That would be bad news for the American taxpayer considering that Mexico has said it will not pay for Trump's wall.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:55 AM   #408
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

President Trump makes millions from giant Brooklyn housing complex that faces annual HUD inspections for falling score
Quote:
President Trump nets millions of dollars each year from a huge Brooklyn apartment complex that’s been racking up increasingly dismal inspection scores from the federal government, documents show.

And the complex known as Starrett City in East New York is about to be inspected again, but this time — for the first time — by his administration.

Trump, who holds a 4% stake in Starrett City via a revocable trust, reported the complex generated at least $5 million in income for him last year through April 15, according to financial disclosure forms he filed last week.

Starrett City, a sprawling complex of 46 buildings and 5,881 apartments that sits far out in Brooklyn on the edge of the Belt Parkway, is the nation’s biggest federally subsidized apartment development.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 12:51 PM   #409
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
That would be bad news for the American taxpayer considering that Mexico has said it will not pay for Trump's wall.
Come on dude, it's going to be a solar wall, didn't you hear? Best idea ever! Mexico is going to pay for it by buying all that electricity. I know it's hard to keep up with all the brilliant stuff Trump is coming up with, but you have to know about the solar wall.

Last edited by FenerFan; 9th July 2017 at 12:53 PM.
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 01:14 PM   #410
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Come on dude, it's going to be a solar wall, didn't you hear? Best idea ever! Mexico is going to pay for it by buying all that electricity. I know it's hard to keep up with all the brilliant stuff Trump is coming up with, but you have to know about the solar wall.

I doubt it because it is a joke. The way the current wall has been breached by thousands of people, chances are the solar panels will somehow turn up missing.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 01:50 PM   #411
Belz...
Fiend God

I doubt it because it is a joke. The way the current wall has been breached by thousands of people, chances are the solar panels will somehow turn up missing.
My favourite thing this year is Trump supporters cheering that idea of the solar wall. Not only are they cheering a terrible, unfeasible idea (doubly so, the wall itself is a stupid idea) but leave it to the far-right to consider eve nsolar power a partisan issue: as soon as Trump supports it, it's good.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 04:39 PM   #412
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sonething is wrong with the numbers in that link or something is wrong at HUD. If Cheeto Dust owns 4% and nets "at least" $5 million annually, that means the profits for everyone is $125 million. Using 5,881 apartments as the source of income, that means each apartment generates over $21,500 in net profit annually.

Sumpin' ain't right.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 04:56 PM   #413
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Sonething is wrong with the numbers in that link or something is wrong at HUD. If Cheeto Dust owns 4% and nets "at least" $5 million annually, that means the profits for everyone is $125 million. Using 5,881 apartments as the source of income, that means each apartment generates over $21,500 in net profit annually.

Sumpin' ain't right.
I would not be surprised to find the numbers off by a large margin. Makes a better headline. But the fact remains there is a serious conflict of interest here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 07:49 PM   #414
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Chris Uhlmann.

They let you see the link once. Then it is paywalled automatically. It happens with all their links. It means they appear in Google searches but still get to ask people to pay if the link is shared.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 08:16 PM   #415
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Open an incognito window if you are using Chrome and you can get past the paywalls.
Old 9th July 2017, 08:34 PM   #416
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Is Trump forgiving the Russians for meddling in our 2016 presidential election as he considers returning Russia's twin spy nest back to the Russians as he diminishes America's leadership standing in the world???

Quote:
Pres. Trump Says U.S. Must Move Beyond Election Controversy

In a Sunday tweetstorm, the president said he had expressed his opinion to Russian President Vladimir Putin on allegations regarding Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. election but that it was now time to move on.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...y-989604931514
Old 9th July 2017, 09:22 PM   #417
Arcade22
Philosopher

Is Trump forgiving the Russians for meddling in our 2016 presidential election as he considers returning Russia's twin spy nest back to the Russians as he diminishes America's leadership standing in the world???
Trump is kind and forgiving. Must take all of his heart to forgive the Russians for maybe... possibly... potentially... having something to do with the alleged hacking of his opponent during the election and assisting him in being elected.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th July 2017 at 09:24 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 11:23 PM   #418
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is 100% correct. Since Vlad assured Trump that he did not meddle in our elections, there is no reason to continue to investigate. After all, Capone told the public how innocent he was and nothing came of that either.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 04:13 AM   #419
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ya, I believe the extra Hillary votes all came from California. Means nothing so don't worry, you didn't miss anything. Remember, most people on the forum think Cali is bat-guano crazy, so why they care about what Cali wants is anyone's guess.
They are probably not even white, and so shouldn't be voting anyway.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 04:17 AM   #420
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
They are probably not even white, and so shouldn't be voting anyway.
I doubt his claim that most people in the forum think California is bat-guano crazy. Also, I don't like his redundant phrasing. I wonder if he likes to mouth-eat bovine-beef with a container-cup of soda-Coke.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 05:54 AM   #421
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not Trump still a civilian?

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 05:56 AM   #422
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Civilian?
What does Trump think he is now?
Old 10th July 2017, 05:56 AM   #423
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Civilian?
Great General?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 05:58 AM   #424
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

Civilian?
A politician (which is why he put civilian in quotes).

edited to add.....

But I'm pretty sure that from President Trump's point of view, Republicans are "we" and not "they".

Maybe he's distancing himself from this healthcare deal the virtues of which he was recently extolling.

Last edited by The Don; 10th July 2017 at 06:03 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 06:01 AM   #425
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Great General?
Funny.

Generalissimo came to my mind as well!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 06:02 AM   #426
fagin
Philosopher

Perhaps he wants to be Gadaffi?
Old 10th July 2017, 06:08 AM   #427
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4217/...af02657bfc.jpg
While nearly everything the beast does and says is wrong, using the scare quotes like this is an indicator that one is not using the enclosed word/phrase in its most standard fashion (which in this case would be to distinguish between military and non-military), so there's little wrong with it.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 07:19 AM   #428
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Has Trump learned that by putting words in scare quotes it leaves them open to virtually any interpretation?
Old 10th July 2017, 07:32 AM   #429
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Has Trump learned that by putting words in scare quotes it leaves them open to virtually any interpretation?
Everything it says is already open to virtually any interpretation given that it lies like other creatures breathe.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 07:54 AM   #430
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

It's fairly obvious that Trump learns very little from anything he does.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:45 AM   #431
Arcade22
Philosopher

Anything and everything Trump writes or says is open to any interpretation whatsoever. Please do keep up.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:48 AM   #432
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Civilian?
I'm giving him a break on that one. He just meant he wasn't part of the government.
Old 10th July 2017, 08:51 AM   #433
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Anything and everything Trump writes or says is open to any interpretation whatsoever. Please do keep up.
I believe the standard justification of Trump is:
Trump says exactly what he means except when he says something he doesn't really mean.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 10:54 AM   #434
SezMe
post-pre-born

Civilian?
He's the C-in-C so he thinks his **** don't stink any more.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 10:57 AM   #435
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
It's fairly obvious that Trump learns very little from anything he does.
I dunno. He seems to have the marriage-divorce cycle down pat.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:34 AM   #436
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the phrase he was failing to think of there was 'private citizen'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 11:36 AM   #437
Spindrift

I dunno. He seems to have the marriage-divorce cycle down pat.
I think that would go along with not learning.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:04 PM   #438
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Trump, the fake president, isolated.

Quote:
Europe Pushes Ahead Its Agenda Without Trump After G-20

LONDON — When President Donald Trump returned from his second trip to Europe in as many months, he presented his visit to the Group of 20 meeting in Hamburg as a "great success."

The outlook from this side of the Atlantic, however, was less enthusiastic, with Europeans viewing the American president as more isolated than ever.

“Generally, Trump didn’t impress very many leaders on European side,” said Susi Dennison, director of the European Power program at the European Council on Foreign Relations.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/europe/e...er-g20-n781246
Old 10th July 2017, 05:52 PM   #439
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He's the C-in-C so he thinks his **** don't stink any more.
Wrong. It never did, just ask him.
Old 11th July 2017, 01:01 AM   #440
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Civilian?
When he uses inverted commas it means you can't interpret the word the same way as you'd usually interpret the word. It means something like the word he used, but different somehow, and he's not quite sure how.

tl;dr Trump's an idiot and doesn't understand stuff.

It's not difficult for us to understand what he means.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics