IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 02:14 PM   #321
Belz...
Fiend God

Hilarious.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:14 PM   #322
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sorry, we don't have any rooms available."
"He's the friggin President of the United States for pete's sake!"
"Yeah, that's not going to help."

I bet Obama could get a hotel room without any problem.

Obama could have gotten 500 families to offer a room for his staff and I'm sure at least one could have accommodated his and Michelle's security screening needs.

Trump on the other hand... Secret Service might rightly not trust the background check results for most who would make the same offer.

Myself... in a pinch, I'd sleep on the plane. Its got a couple of sweet bedrooms.
For Trump though... it's worth noting that AF1 is probably far more vulnerable to RPGs etc sitting on the ground.
Hotel it is I guess.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 6th July 2017 at 02:17 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:20 PM   #323
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Hilarious.
Too funny. Perhaps he could find a stable out the back of an inn. The second coming is here.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:26 PM   #324
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump's people only found out about the summit at the last minute?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:31 PM   #325
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sorry, we don't have any rooms available."
"He's the friggin President of the United States for pete's sake!"
"Yeah, that's not going to help."

I bet Obama could get a hotel room without any problem.

It is just a polite way of saying "Get the hell outta here!!" No problem though because there's lots of room in those huge Chinook presidential support helicopters for Trump's people to sleep in and they can all shower at the local car wash.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 6th July 2017 at 02:33 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:33 PM   #326
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

WATCH: Outgoing Ethics Chief @waltshaub: There's an appearance that his businesses are profiting from his Presidency
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:35 PM   #327
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Don't be surprised as calls for Trump's impeachment grow louder with each passing month.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #328
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Found on a blog called "SLOG"

"Here’s a Little Economics Lesson," Rick Perry Says, Before Completely Blowing It
by Christopher Frizzelle • Jul 6, 2017 at 11:00 am

Quote:
Rick Perry is visiting a West Virginia coal plant today, site of all those jobs Trump is going to bring back. According to news reports, it's "a general tour for Perry to familiarize himself with a modern coal facility." At the coal plant, Perry just said, "Here’s a little economics lesson: supply and demand. You put the supply out there and the demand will follow."
Old 6th July 2017, 02:48 PM   #329
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
"Here’s a Little Economics Lesson," Rick Perry Says, Before Completely Blowing It
by Christopher Frizzelle • Jul 6, 2017 at 11:00 am
That man is in a charge of the nuclear arsenal.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 02:54 PM   #330
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Apparently, advance booking may not be the only hurdle Trump faces finding a hotel to stay in.

Ran across this;
Quote:
For a time, it appeared that Trump might move his base from Hamburg to Berlin, 180 miles away, and commute to the G20 meetings by helicopter, Germany’s Die Welt reports.
But that plan fell apart too, and not because there were no vacancies. Speaking to Die Welt, a spokesperson for the Berlin InterContinental said that they don’t typically comment on guests, “But in this case, we say clearly: No, he does not stay with us.”

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 03:29 PM   #331
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Apparently, advance booking may not be the only hurdle Trump faces finding a hotel to stay in.

Ran across this;
So all he has to do is make a great deal, right?

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Don't be surprised as calls for Trump's impeachment grow louder with each passing month.
Without some sort of GOP backbone it would lead nowhere.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 03:50 PM   #332
Civet
Graduate Poster

If they start coming from influential Republican office-holders I will certainly be surprised.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:08 PM   #333
NoahFence
Banned

boy he really threw his own intelligence service under the bus today.

Calling out the IC on foreign soil about Obama AND Bush!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:26 PM   #334
skyeagle409
Master Poster

So all he has to do is make a great deal, right?

Without some sort of GOP backbone it would lead nowhere.

I agree, but when Republicans start the feel the heat on their backs, that could very well change and the way Trump has been carrying on, I won't be surprised if the temperature reaches the boiling point within the next 3 years.
Old 6th July 2017, 05:26 PM   #335
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

That man is in a charge of the nuclear arsenal.
I think his ignorance (which is epic) about his job in general and the nuclear
arsenal in particular will keep him from making any decisions that might
muss up his hair.

Old 6th July 2017, 06:10 PM   #336
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
boy he really threw his own intelligence service under the bus today.

Calling out the IC on foreign soil about Obama AND Bush!
I don't get how anyone looks at this guy and even sees a human being. He's such a dirty, cowardly liar. I want to see a national petition to burn his man card. There's a good reason he lost the popular vote. He's not even a person.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:20 PM   #337
NoahFence
Banned

He's whining that Obama didn't do anything about it, and he's also going to give the two compounds back to Putin.

If Obama didn't do anything, why would Trump have to give them back?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:02 PM   #338
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
He's whining that Obama didn't do anything about it, and he's also going to give the two compounds back to Putin.

If Obama didn't do anything, why would Trump have to give them back?
So he's mad that Obama didn't do anything to stop him from colluding with the Russians. Impressive.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:19 PM   #339
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't get how anyone looks at this guy and even sees a human being. He's such a dirty, cowardly liar. I want to see a national petition to burn his man card. There's a good reason he lost the popular vote. He's not even a person.

Trump is ruining the United States and has handed leadership roles to China and Russia, damaged relations with our allies, emboldened the Russians to continue their dirty work against the United States by failing to confront Putin on election meddling, which no doubt will further embolden the Russians beyond what we are seeing today.

Question is, how much damage will Trump cause before congress and the American people finally rise up and throw 'Benedict Trump' out of office?
Old 6th July 2017, 11:15 PM   #340
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Unpleasant, but not many surprises. It does cause me to wonder about one thing: I've generally assumed that the Russian government considered Trump to be a buffoon who might be a useful tool. Is it possible that the Russian people actually view him as a good leader?
Well yeah, they've been under a quite popular leader very much like him since 2000. That plus all the propaganda the state media poured out in the past year or so had a significant effect on the popular perception of Trump in Russia.

McHrozni
Old 6th July 2017, 11:18 PM   #341
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Don't be surprised as calls for Trump's impeachment grow louder from the Democratic Party and other, by U.S. standards, left-leaning people with each passing month.
Amended to represent my impression of the situation.

The GOP will either remain silent or, IMO more likely, actively rebuff any such calls. Trump is doing a valuable job of "roping in the rubes" and drawing the "leftist" outrage thus allowing the GOP to get on with its core mission, the redistribution of wealth from the working and middle classes to the top 1%
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 11:24 PM   #342
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Question is, how much damage will Trump cause before congress and the American people finally rise up and throw 'Benedict Trump' out of office?
I cannot imagine this happening. For a start 40% or so have exactly the President they want. Some of the remaining 60% are too busy trying to keep their heads above water to worry about that kind of thing and in any case the groups whose support you'd need for this kind of thing, the armed forces, law enforcement and even the unofficial "militias" are all very pro-Trump.

More likely Trump will get 8 years and then the Democratic President who follows will have to do what the last couple have done, set about repairing the economy, reducing the deficit and rebuilding the US' reputation overseas ready for the next GOP incumbent to destroy them all over again.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 11:34 PM   #343
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Somebody needs to read the Cairo Declaration ...
Which one?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 11:37 PM   #344
SezMe
post-pre-born

What a shift.
What a shaft.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 11:49 PM   #345
SezMe
post-pre-born

Appearance? I take it as a fact equivalent to the fact that Sessions is a bigot. Namely, proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Old 7th July 2017, 12:06 AM   #346
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I cannot imagine this happening. For a start 40% or so have exactly the President they want. Some of the remaining 60% are too busy trying to keep their heads above water to worry about that kind of thing and in any case the groups whose support you'd need for this kind of thing, the armed forces, law enforcement and even the unofficial "militias" are all very pro-Trump.
You need half the Representatives and 2/3 of the Senate for it, not armed forces.

Right now there is no chance of that. The house of Representatives may do something, but 2/3 of the Senate is a bridge too far. In time that may change, but that 40% of the electorate needs to be whittled down first. Hopefully only half or so are the true retard vote and the rest only support Trump because they would never, ever support a Democrat and see supporting Trump as being identical to opposing Democrats.

McHrozni
Old 7th July 2017, 12:15 AM   #347
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
You need half the Representatives and 2/3 of the Senate for it, not armed forces.

Right now there is no chance of that. The house of Representatives may do something, but 2/3 of the Senate is a bridge too far. In time that may change, but that 40% of the electorate needs to be whittled down first. Hopefully only half or so are the true retard vote and the rest only support Trump because they would never, ever support a Democrat and see supporting Trump as being identical to opposing Democrats.

McHrozni
I took "the American people finally rise up and throw 'Benedict Trump' out of office?" to mean something more direct than impeachment or not re-electing him in 2020. Perhaps I read too much into it
Old 7th July 2017, 12:22 AM   #348
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Appearance? I take it as a fact equivalent to the fact that Sessions is a bigot. Namely, proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.
You know, I'd been very worried that the DOJ under Sessions would try to go hard after marijuana including a crackdown in states that have legalized. Doesn't seem to have happened. Guess that's something I can actually give the Trump administration credit for. Looks like I was wrong about that one.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 12:32 AM   #349
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I took "the American people finally rise up and throw 'Benedict Trump' out of office?" to mean something more direct than impeachment or not re-electing him in 2020. Perhaps I read too much into it
It could also mean a coup d'etat of course, but there is no stomach for that among his opponents anyway, even if they could pull it off. Plus the recent history of coup attempts against leaders like him is disastrous, to put it mildly.

Trump needs to go, either through Republican-led (I can't stress this enough!) impeachment or a humiliating defeat at the polls. Either would be fine. Right now the second option looks achievable for 2020.

McHrozni
Old 7th July 2017, 12:33 AM   #350
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You know, I'd been very worried that the DOJ under Sessions would try to go hard after marijuana including a crackdown in states that have legalized. Doesn't seem to have happened. Guess that's something I can actually give the Trump administration credit for. Looks like I was wrong about that one.
they need all their law enforcement manpower to round up immigrants - just wait until they've reached their quota: Sessions has made it clear want he wants to happen.
Old 7th July 2017, 01:05 AM   #351
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
As for Putin look at his yearly "call in shows" and you can get an understanding of the image they want to convey: an all powerful alpha male that can fix their problems, however trivial, yet can't because the rest of the government and civil bureaucracy is completely useless. Through no-nonsense talk downs he makes them do their jobs.

He has all the power and gets the final word on any nationwide decision yet shoves all the responsibilities that normally would come with such power unto his underlings. This is why he remains so popular despite the rather terrible situation in the country: he doesn't allow any credible alternative leaders to grow.
Yeah. Enough Russians are dumb enough not to realize that if the state is in shambles after being ruled by one man for 17 years, he's a part of the problem and not the solution. They prefer the easy 'solution': "the state may be in shambles, but as long as we have the Tzar, we'll be fine" and don't think what will happen once the Tzar is gone, when they'll promptly blame everyone but Russia or themselves for the inevitable collapse.

McHrozni
Old 7th July 2017, 04:04 AM   #352
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Which one?
1990 version.

Nice to see that "Hackers Are Targeting Nuclear Facilities, Homeland Security Dept. and F.B.I. Say." I wonder if the GOP will decide to put up a defense at some point? Not that Trump's point man in the Energy Department has any clear notion of, really, anything.
Old 7th July 2017, 05:42 AM   #353
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
At this week’s G-20 summit in Germany, one subject the world’s most powerful leaders are discussing is why Democrat Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman did not cooperate with U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials as they investigated cyberattacks against the Democratic National Committee, President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Friday morning.

“Everyone here is talking about why John Podesta refused to give the DNC server to the FBI and the CIA. Disgraceful!” Trump wrote on Twitter Friday morning. He did not explain why Podesta, who did not work for the DNC, would have been responsible for its email server.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...podesta-240295

Yeah everyone is talking about it. No doubt it's the first subject of discussion when the leaders of the major powers of the world get together to mingle among themselves.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 09:49 AM   #354
skyeagle409
Master Poster

I cannot imagine this happening. For a start 40% or so have exactly the President they want.

Apparently, Hillary received almost 3 million more votes than Trump and the only thing that saved Trump was the highly flawed EC that both Hillary and Trump have attacked in the past.

Quote:
... and rebuilding the US' reputation overseas ...

Now, for an update.

Quote:
America's global image suffering under Trump: Pew poll

America's global image has suffered since President Trump took office, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

The survey of 37 countries since Trump took office found that the global median that views the U.S. unfavorably rose to 39 percent, up from 26 percent when former President Barack Obama left office. Favorable views of the U.S. dropped from 64 percent to 49 percent in the change from Obama to Trump.

Out of the 37 countries surveyed, the nationwide populations had less confidence in Trump than Obama in world affairs in every nation except Russia and Israel.

In France, Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom, those populations' confidence in Trump was similar to that of former President George W. Bush at the end of his presidency in 2008.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/am...rticle/2627210

Old 7th July 2017, 09:50 AM   #355
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Apparently, Hillary received almost 3 million more votes than Trump...
Really?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 09:57 AM   #356
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Amended to represent my impression of the situation.

The GOP will either remain silent or, IMO more likely, actively rebuff any such calls. Trump is doing a valuable job of "roping in the rubes" and drawing the "leftist" outrage thus allowing the GOP to get on with its core mission, the redistribution of wealth from the working and middle classes to the top 1%

Just to let you know that I am a Republican who would support Trump's impeachment. Trump is a moron and too stupid to be president of the United States. Let's not forget during one of his interviews that he claimed that Russian would not go into Ukraine and in the time it took to blink an eye, the interviewer told Trump the Russians were already in Ukraine.

Quote:
Trump: Putin's 'not gonna go into Ukraine'

Donald Trump said in an interview Sunday that Russian President Vladimir Putin isn't going to go into Ukraine, even though the Russian military has intervened in the nation's affairs since 2014.

"He's not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He's not gonna go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down," the GOP presidential nominee said Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

Host George Stephanopoulos pushed back, saying, "Well, he's already there, isn't he?"

"OK, well, he's there in a certain way," Trump responded.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...snt-in-ukraine
Old 7th July 2017, 10:03 AM   #357
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Really?

That's right!

Quote:
Final U.S. Popular Vote Count: Trump Lost to Clinton by Nearly 2.9 Million Votes, or 2.1 Percent

More Americans voted for Hillary Clinton than any other losing presidential candidate in US history.

The Democrat outpaced President-elect Donald Trump by almost 2.9 million votes, with 65,844,954 (48.2%) to his 62,979,879 (46.1%), according to revised and certified final election results from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

http://ktla.com/2016/12/21/final-u-s...r-2-1-percent/
Old 7th July 2017, 10:18 AM   #358
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Really?
Yes, actually. It's amazing you missed that considering how much it's been discussed since November.

However, the fact remains that Trump won by the rules of the election, and surely in part because of voter apathy. Whining about more popular votes is pointless. If people don't like the system they should petition to have it changed.

Old 7th July 2017, 10:41 AM   #359
MuDPhuD
Muse

Its clear that Sessions would like to do this.
Give him time.
MuDPhuD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2017, 12:58 PM   #360
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Yes, actually. It's amazing you missed that considering how much it's been discussed since November.
Even more amazing is that what I thought was clearly sarcasm - replete with a rolleyes emoticon - would be taken seriously by anyone.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics