ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 3rd April 2019, 11:17 PM   #1321
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The RCC in Rome isn't exactly the same as Latin America or African areas because they allow local woo to exist and become part of the celebration big faith. It is the secret of RCC success.

Islam comes in and suppresses local woo which isn't exactly endearing in a missionary.

In a place where eating guinea pigs was a life sustaining need the missionaries were able to overlook that detail to have living converts. It wasn't a hard choice.
Islam allows local woo to exist. I understand that female genital mutilation isn't in any of the holy books, but a lot of muslim communities do practice it. Historically, Islam morphed a great deal to accommodate zorastrians and their beliefs when the persian-sassanid empire was absorbed
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 03:17 AM   #1322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes it is most interesting how the RCC has managed to absorb all that local woo as it takes over new territory. They do this while maintaining the facade of being the true original church that Jesus gave the nod to.
Don't forget it is quite happy having married priests and even bishops when it finds it convenient. You'd almost think they were making it up as they go along.
Old 4th April 2019, 02:36 PM   #1323
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Don't forget it is quite happy having married priests and even bishops when it finds it convenient. You'd almost think they were making it up as they go along.

One would certainly get that impression and the surprising part is the way the faithful just lap it up without a murmur of dissension. Things like Limbo and Indulgences come and go. Popes with a taste for the licentious, (more than one Pope at times), are there in the past along the supposedly legitimate line of accession. If Jesus did exist and said that "Thou art Peter ...." stuff to his disciple, I think he would be shaking his head now.
Old 12th April 2019, 03:04 AM   #1324
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse

#LawfulEvil
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 04:03 AM   #1325
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Yeah, I saw that.... Jeebus wept but the RCC is severely out of touch with reality (like it's history of sexual abuse going back centuries).
That's what comes of believing on a sky fairy I suppose.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:17 PM   #1326
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post

Hardly seems to have his finger on the pulse of the subject. Lumping homosexuality and paedophilia together as equal sins it seems:

Quote:
The sexual revolution in the 1960s had led to homosexuality and paedophilia in Catholic establishments, he claimed.

Perhaps he lost some wisdom when he gave up his funny hat.
Old 14th April 2019, 04:39 AM   #1327
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Hardly seems to have his finger on the pulse of the subject. Lumping homosexuality and paedophilia together as equal sins it seems:

Perhaps he lost some wisdom when he gave up his funny hat.
Yeah, especially since so many cases of priest sex abuse go back to the 1950s.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:48 PM   #1328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well... he is really really old. 91. When he was first ordained, the War had just finished.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:27 PM   #1329
Thor 2
Illuminator

And so it goes on.

This time we have a letter admitting to the knowledge of child sex abuse of one Father Greg Ferguson. The letter written by the principal of a Marist college Father Bernard Hosie.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...1970s/11004098

When another student reported to Hosie that he had seen Ferguson chasing young students around a room with an erect penis this was the result:

Quote:
Mr Murray, who was 16 at the time, said he took the children back to their rooms that night before reporting it to Father Hosie the next day.
"When I told Hosie he pinned me against the wall, holding me by the shirt collar of the throat and in turn told me if I ever repeated such vile accusations about Father Ferguson again I would be leaving school without my end of year results; he then told me to get out," he said.
Old 17th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #1330
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

From the Department of You're Not Helping:

Three to be charged over alleged priest assault in Tasmania

Quote:
Three people will be charged over an incident where a priest was allegedly assaulted at a Tasmanian church last month, police say.

Police said they were called to attend a report of a minor disturbance at the Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Deloraine on March 30.

Father Nicholas Rynne and a 77-year-old Deloraine woman were allegedly pushed and grabbed by three other people during a minor altercation.

No-one was injured.

A 76-year-old woman and a 75-year-old man, both from Elizabeth Town, and 38-year-old Dunloran man will be charged with common assault via summons and will appear at the Launceston Magistrates Court at a later date.
I don't know what the altercation was about, but the fact remains that assault is still a crime. Don't assault priests.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:01 PM   #1331
Thor 2
Illuminator

Yes that's interesting. I remember reading about the termination of this priest's administration a few weeks ago. Perhaps some of the folk in the pews weren't to happy with his sermons.

Quote:
On April 3, Tasmania's Catholic Church confirmed Father Rynne had finished as administrator of the Meander Valley parish and other associated roles following an investigation by the Church after tensions arose within the parish.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy