ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 11th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #1081
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I am always right in this forum.
No, you're not. You're wrong.
Old 11th April 2019, 06:30 PM   #1082
Emre_1974tr
Muse

"Errancy; “Let us make man in our own image” (Genesis 1:26)

Excuse; None available

Correction: Certainly, the creations cannot be like the Creator and the Creator is not like His creations. Exalted is God, far above the creations of the heaven XE "heaven" and earth XE "earth" as the Quran states: “There is none like Him!” (Quran 112:4)"

https://quranbible.org/english.htm#_Toc96948618
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 06:47 PM   #1083
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Excuse; None available

Correction: Certainly, the creations cannot be like the Creator and the Creator is not like His creations. Exalted is God, far above the creations of the heaven XE "heaven" and earth XE "earth" as the Quran states: “There is none like Him!” (Quran 112:4)"

That's not a correction. That's just the Qur'an saying something different than the Torah. Your argument is entirely circular. You assume the Qur'an is correct, and any way it differs from something else must therefore be a "correction."
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 03:09 AM   #1084
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Excuse; None available

Are you saying that no artist or sculptor has ever created an image of a human? Have you heard of something called a 'self-portrait'? You are again surpassing yourself in arguments of ever-increasing ridiculousness.
Old 12th April 2019, 04:35 AM   #1085
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Excuse; None available

What a load of nonsense.

You have consistently failed to show how your favorite religious book is anything more valid than any of the other religious books.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 02:07 PM   #1086
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

You have been wrong since page one of this thread. See my post number 12 on page one where I point out the Quran is copying the bible on the six days creation myth.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 07:34 PM   #1087
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

Excuse; None available

You know the part of prophesying where you say what you believe with great conviction and confidence, and the Holy Spirit moves among the people you're talking to and makes them realize it's the truth?

That part's not working for you. You're doing the speaking with great conviction and confidence part, but the Holy Spirit is a no-show. So no one's being convinced. Why do you think it's not helping you out?

Last edited by Myriad; 12th April 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 11:10 AM   #1088
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

He apparently thinks we're all Christians, so the ignominy of having our holy books shown up by the infallible, perfect Qur'an is supposed to inflame us to the point of defending the honor of our religion. I don't think he's figured out that we are skeptical toward his religions claims not because we have different ones of our own, but because we're generally skeptical of all religious claims.

So the Torah says God created humans in his own image. And there's apparently no "excuse" for that, as if it's something that someone should be embarrassed about. As near as I can tell, people who believe in the Torah consider this an empowering, affirmative statement. Regardless of how it's interpreted, it's seen as a good thing to be proud of. Why should something whose believers consider a boon need to have an "excuse?" You'd say it like that only if you had some bias that led you to prejudicially reject the doctrine of "in His image" as somehow blasphemous or incorrect -- such as if you approached it with the preconception that the Qur'an were self-evidently, infallibly true. It's like being asked why you have no excuse for having blue eyes. To hear it from Emre, Islam sounds like a cross between Veruca Salt and Carmelita Spats.

I don't believe in either the god of the Torah or the god of the Qur'an, and I don't care in whose image (or not) the fables say humankind was created. It has about as much emotional impact for me as Tokien telling me where Gandalf, Radogast, and Saruman came from. But a bad argument is a bad argument. Emre's is about as circular as it gets.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 01:52 PM   #1089
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Maybe he would do better to compare the Quran to Lord of the Rings.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 02:38 PM   #1090
winter salt
Thinker

But you are always wrong, my friend.

Is it your religion that makes you so arrogant and childish in attitude?

Yes it is, because it had made me so when I was young.

It's so embarrassing to think about those times now.

I hope you free yourself from this.

But with so many followers that think of you as SOMEONE, just like your masters Caner and Edit you're so trapped in this that you may never be free from it. (Your dogma and your embarrassing attitude).

And you only come here because you can't stand that you don't get the same respect (actually any at all) from people who can think freely.

You're never gonna win here.

Last edited by winter salt; 13th April 2019 at 02:41 PM.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 05:14 PM   #1091
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Maybe he would do better to compare the Quran to Lord of the Rings.
Around here that would be a much more effective way of getting his jihad on.
Old 13th April 2019, 05:28 PM   #1092
Emre_1974tr
Muse

It's really nice to see you panicking.

I hope this make you leave your false beliefs and lead you to the truth.

In the meantime, my only master is the Koran.

The names you count are following my findings.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 07:11 PM   #1093
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

None of your critics is panicking. And your gaslighting isn't working.
Old 13th April 2019, 07:22 PM   #1094
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by winter salt View Post
You're never gonna win here.
It seems there's a richly appointed fantasy world in his head in which he's already won. Nothing anyone is saying here seems to make the slightest dent in it.
Old 13th April 2019, 08:22 PM   #1095
winter salt
Thinker

I've shown here a few times that your master Quran promotes pedophilia.
And you didn't even try to to refute the evidence I provided for it.
So, are you a pedophile like Mohammad (piss be upon him) ?
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 02:01 AM   #1096
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

It's really nice to see you panicking laughing.

I hope this make you leave your false beliefs and lead you to the truth shake your heads in sadness and disbelief.

In the meantime, my only master is the Koran my ego.

The names you count are following my findings as deluded as I am.
ftfy
Old 14th April 2019, 03:21 AM   #1097
Emre_1974tr
Muse

"The Bible describes the light of the sun and moon in the following verse:

God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. [Genesis 1:16]

What’s interesting is that the same Hebrew word, ‘ma’owr’, which means “light, luminary”, is used to describe the light of both the sun and moon. If this is interpreted literally then it is scientifically inaccurate, as it would indicate that the sun and the moon are similar when it comes to light. The reality is that the sun emits its own light whereas the moon reflects light from the sun, like a mirror. This is exactly how the Qur’an describes the sun and moon:

Blessed is He who has placed in the sky great stars and placed therein a [burning] lamp and luminous moon. [Qur’an 25:61]"

http://www.manyprophetsonemessage.co...cts-the-bible/
Old 14th April 2019, 08:24 AM   #1098
halleyscomet
Philosopher

So what?

As far as I know I’m the closest thing to a Christian in this thread and I’m more of a Lutheran flavored agnostic than anything else. I’m well aware of the scientific absurdities in the Bible and the Koran.

Why do keep babbling about “missionaries” and the Torah? Neither is relevant to any arguments you could make here.
Old 14th April 2019, 01:16 PM   #1099
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. [Genesis 1:16]

What’s interesting is that the same Hebrew word, ‘ma’owr’, which means “light, luminary”, is used to describe the light of both the sun and moon. If this is interpreted literally then it is scientifically inaccurate, as it would indicate that the sun and the moon are similar when it comes to light. The reality is that the sun emits its own light whereas the moon reflects light from the sun, like a mirror. This is exactly how the Qur’an describes the sun and moon:

Blessed is He who has placed in the sky great stars and placed therein a [burning] lamp and luminous moon. [Qur’an 25:61]"

http://www.manyprophetsonemessage.co...cts-the-bible/
luminous
/ˈluːmɪnəs/
adjective
adjective: luminous

giving off light; bright or shining.

The word "luminous" does not mean it is reflecting light like a mirror. It simply means it gives off light...by any means. Usually it means that it gives off its own light. So you have made a mistake. Granted, a small mistake, but you are still not correct.

How old are you, Emre?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #1100
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Why is it nice, Emre?

Quote:
What false beliefs do you think we have?

Quote:
Good for you. Does it mention electricity? Perhaps you could quote the parts in the Koran where it says you should use electricity.

[Hang in there, everyone else. There's a method here.]

Quote:
Everyone else but you got different numbers. Other Islamic scholars got different numbers. Even online searching automatically got different numbers. You got some errors in your own numbers. And yet you still say you are right. Do you think that perhaps you might be having a problem with counting?
Old 15th April 2019, 01:48 PM   #1101
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Is Satan a God?

If Satan is not a god, why doesn't your preferred $deity erase him from existence?
Old 15th April 2019, 07:31 PM   #1102
Emre_1974tr
Muse

The Quran mentions atheists many times.

ATHEISTS

69:33 For he did not acknowledge God, the Great.

4:38 Those who spend their money to show-off to the people, and they do not acknowledge God or the Last day. Whoever has the devil as his companion, then what a miserable companion!

52:35 Or were they created from nothing? Or was it they who created?

In Addition, all verses mentioning the design criticized atheism.

------------------

Polytheists

-And verily, if you ask them: "Who created the heavens and the earth?" Surely, they will say: "Allah (has created them)." Say: "Tell me then, the things that you invoke besides Allah, if Allah intended some harm for me, could they remove His harm, or if He (Allah) intended some mercy for me, could they withhold His Mercy?" Say: "Sufficient for me is Allah; in Him those who trust (i.e. believers) must put their trust."
Az-Zumar:38

----------------------

Christians

O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"
An-Nisaa:171

--------------

Jews

Say (O Muhammad ﷺ): "O you Jews! If you pretend that you are friends of Allah, to the exclusion of (all) other mankind, then long for death if you are truthful."
Al-Jumu'ah:6

----

Pantheists

43:15 They assigned a share to Him from His own servants! The human being is clearly denying.

112:3 "Never did He beget, nor was He begotten,"
Old 15th April 2019, 08:18 PM   #1103
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

ATHEISTS

4:38 Those who spend their money to show-off to the people, and they do not acknowledge God or the Last day. Whoever has the devil as his companion, then what a miserable companion!

------------------

Polytheists

-And verily, if you ask them: "Who created the heavens and the earth?" Surely, they will say: "Allah (has created them)." Say: "Tell me then, the things that you invoke besides Allah, if Allah intended some harm for me, could they remove His harm, or if He (Allah) intended some mercy for me, could they withhold His Mercy?" Say: "Sufficient for me is Allah; in Him those who trust (i.e. believers) must put their trust."

----------------------

Christians

O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"

--------------
Jews

Say (O Muhammad ﷺ): "O you Jews! If you pretend that you are friends of Allah, to the exclusion of (all) other mankind, then long for death if you are truthful."
----

Pantheists

43:15 They assigned a share to Him from His own servants! The human being is clearly denying.

It doesn't mention those words even once.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:37 PM   #1104
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Then why can't you tell the difference between Christians and atheists?
Old 16th April 2019, 12:32 AM   #1105
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Neither the M.M Pickthall or the Yusuf Ali translation of this verse use the word 'luminous' they both say "and a moon giving light"
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:26 AM   #1106
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Seriously? This is the best you can do? Another serving of cooypasta?

<irrelevant copypasta trimmed>

I asked you to use your own words. All you’ve done is a word search and a copy and paste. I could literally replace your efforts with a few regular expressions in any programming language that supports them.

Try again.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:31 AM   #1107
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Then why can't you tell the difference between Christians and atheists?

Like many of the Christians I’ve known throughout my life, our fellow forum member appears to be doing more theological copy and paste than actual thought. I have yet to see any evidence that we’re talking to a person who understands the difference between an atheist and a Christian. They seem to think that quoting passages from their preferred mythologies is equivalent to demonstrating comprehension.

In many regards it’s no different than the Chinese Cultural Revolution and the rote recitations of Mao quotes used to justify whatever random destruction or cruelty was being carried out at the moment.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:29 AM   #1108
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Well, I'l say one thing about this Emre_1974 character. He's deranged.. but he's persistent in it !
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:16 AM   #1109
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I could literally replace your efforts with a few regular expressions in any programming language that supports them.
Well, the forum software does have a supported API...
Old 16th April 2019, 09:10 AM   #1110
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Well, the forum software does have a supported API...
Hmmm, tempting, but it's probably a bad idea.

Old 16th April 2019, 10:53 AM   #1111
winter salt
Thinker

ATHEISTS

------------------

Polytheists

----------------------

Christians

--------------

Jews

----

Pantheists

Your mistakes that are mostly based on the translation issues were shown to you multiple times before. So I'm not gonna repeat them. You're not interested in intellectual honesty and truth and critical thinking. And you clearly have no knowledge of the Arabic language.
I lived as a devout Muslim for three decades. Memorized most of the Quran and studied Arabic. There's nothing in the Quran about atheism. People who invented Quran had no idea on this issue. In fact they believed the end of the world was eminent, possibly in their life time. They just tried to prosiletize Christians Jews and polytheists. They had no time and interest in philosophical debates about the existence of a creator of everything.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:53 PM   #1112
winter salt
Thinker

You insist on this stupidity.
Islamic scholars used several terms to denote atheistic philosophies known to them.
Mainly Maddîyyun, Dehrîyyun, Zenâdika, Melâhide.
And even these are not mentioned in the Quran.
Because first Muslims were not exposed so much to other cultures.
Their world was very small. (Mohammad's world).
He simply didn't even know about the atheistic philosophies of his time.
That's why they're not mentioned in the Quran.
Sirk in the Quran is not even close to "non-belief in the supernatural entities".
It only means believing there to be other god/gods working together with allah.
You need to study your Quran before you blabber about it.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:58 PM   #1113
winter salt
Thinker

Hey Emre, I have news for you.
By Quranic standards you're going to eternal hellfire.
You put words to allah's mouth.
You interpret his words in ways that even his messenger didn't.
You're a kafir.
You're also a mulhid. (You're working to spoil his religion).
You're doomed to Hell, that is if you really believe it.
You're no more muslim than we atheists are.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:07 PM   #1114
Emre_1974tr
Muse

ATHEISTS

------------------

Polytheists

----------------------

Christians

--------------

Jews

----

Pantheists

Notice that the difference between atheist and pagan is clearly stated in the verses. When One doesn't believe in God (atheist), the other (pagan) believes to God, but in the faith of Shirk.

Meanwhile, in the verses, there is also an answer to the spiritualists who claim the matter/universe is imagination/illusion:

46:3 We did not create the heavens and the earth, and everything between them except with truth, and for an appointed time. Those who reject turn away from what they are being warned with.

29:44 God created the heavens and the earth, with truth. In that is a sign for those who acknowledge.

Matter/universe and other universes are real.

-------------------------

And Christians are pagans too.

19:88 They said the Gracious has taken a son

19:89 You have come with a gross blasphemy

19:90 The heavens are about to shatter from it, and the earth crack open, and the mountains fall and crumble.

19:91 That they claimed that the Gracious had a son!
Old 16th April 2019, 06:16 PM   #1115
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Notice that the difference between atheist and pagan is clearly stated in the verses. When One doesn't believe in God (atheist), the other (pagan) believes to God, but in the faith of Shirk.
How many times have you been told that is not true? By people who know the Koran better than you do. And yet you push the same tired lies. Very sad.

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the verses, there is also an answer to the spiritualists who claim the matter/universe is imagination/illusion:

46:3 We did not create the heavens and the earth, and everything between them except with truth, and for an appointed time. Those who reject turn away from what they are being warned with.

29:44 God created the heavens and the earth, with truth. In that is a sign for those who acknowledge.

Nobody but you reads this interpretation into those scriptures.

Quote:

19:90 The heavens are about to shatter from it, and the earth crack open, and the mountains fall and crumble.

Who does this refer to? Allah? The Prophet? And if it is indeed about Allah, how does that make the blasphemers Christians particularly? The Jews also had a Messiah in their mythology. As did a number of other religions and sects. This is just silly and entirely unscholarly.
Old 16th April 2019, 06:19 PM   #1116
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Notice...
You're spamming the same irrelevant crap to both your threads. Stop.

Quote:
No, "Christian" and "pagan" mean very different things. And that's not at all what your verse says. We covered all this previously. You have no working understanding of comparative religion, no appreciable understanding of any holy writ, and apparently no desire to actually engage with your critics.

You claimed your critics here were, at least in part, "Christian missionaries." You haven't named a single one who fits that description, despite numerous requests. Please give us a reason to treat you as anything other than a religious zealot and deliberate troll.
Old 16th April 2019, 07:24 PM   #1117
winter salt
Thinker

Your mistakes that are mostly based on the translation issues were shown to you multiple times before. So I'm not gonna repeat them. You're not interested in intellectual honesty and truth and critical thinking. And you clearly have no knowledge of the Arabic language.
I lived as a devout Muslim for three decades. Memorized most of the Quran and studied Arabic. There's nothing in the Quran about atheism. People who invented Quran had no idea on this issue. In fact they believed the end of the world was eminent, possibly in their life time. They just tried to prosiletize Christians Jews and polytheists. They had no time and interest in philosophical debates about the existence of a creator of everything.

You insist on this stupidity.
Islamic scholars used several terms to denote atheistic philosophies known to them.
Mainly Maddîyyun, Dehrîyyun, Zenâdika, Melâhide.
And even these are not mentioned in the Quran.
Because the first Muslims were not exposed so much to other cultures.
Their world was very small. (Mohammad's world).
He simply didn't even know about the atheistic philosophies of his time.
That's why they're not mentioned in the Quran.
Sirk in the Quran is not even close to "non-belief in the supernatural entities".
It only means believing there to be other god/gods working together with allah.
You need to study your Quran before you blabber about it.

Hey Emre, I have news for you.
By Quranic standards you're going to eternal hellfire.
You put words into allah's mouth.
You interpret his words in ways that even his messenger didn't.
You're a kafir.
You're also a mulhid. (You're working to spoil his religion).
You're doomed to Hell, that is if you really believe it.
You're no more muslim than we atheists are.

Last edited by winter salt; 16th April 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 17th April 2019, 01:51 AM   #1118
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Really? When? How is "about to" the same as " still hasn't happened 1,400 years later"?
Oh, and don't try to cover your mistake by posting news about earthquakes, because I will post two earthquakes in Muslim countries for every one you find in a Christian country.
Interesting too, that after all your claims about the supposed science found in the Quran, that you post something saying the heavens will shatter. Glass shatters. Gas does not. Is the earth surrounded by glass, Emre?
Old 17th April 2019, 02:25 AM   #1119
Emre_1974tr
Muse

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
. Glass shatters. Gas does not. Is the earth surrounded by glass, Emre?
What I said:

Heaven =universe

Heavens = universes

The Qur'an offers a multi-universe model.

But it is not infinite.

Seven universes, for example.

Other universes have planets too.

65.12 Allah is the one who created seven Heavens and from Earth like them (of corresponding type); [Allah's] command descends among them so that you may know that Allah is capable of anything and that Allah knows everything.

Example "Floor of Lord" (Indallah) = afterlife universe

Except for the Hereafter universe, all the other universes will end with big crunch.

21:104 On the day when We roll up the heavens like a scroll of books is rolled up. As We initiated the first creation, so shall We return it. It is a promise of Ours that We will do this.

39:67 They have not given God His true worth; and the whole earth is within His fist on the day of resurrection, and the heavens will be folded in His right hand. Be He glorified; He is much too high above what they set up.

---------------------------------
Old 17th April 2019, 03:49 AM   #1120
halleyscomet
Philosopher

The last words of some energy vampires before hell in the afterlife

Quran 57:13 On that day, the hypocrite men and the hypocrite women will say to those who acknowledged: "Wait/look at for us! Let us absorb some of your light." It will be said, "Go back behind you, and seek light." So a barrier will be set up between them, whose gate separates compassion on the inner side, from retribution on the outer side.

So no, they’re not, but that won’t stop you from prattling about the concept while trying to put words in Muhammad’s mouth.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy