IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags barack obama , Mike Gallagher , Obama Conspiracies

Old 2nd June 2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“President Obama, It was you.” A 33-point essay asserting Pres. Obama is a Muslim

I have been asked to rebut this nonsense reposted by radio personality Mike Gallagher.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/mike-...was-you-essay/

I cannot find a single source that addresses this list. My Google-fu is not strong. Is there a site that addresses these claims such as Obama “mocked the Bible and Jesus Christ’s Sermon On The Mount while repeatedly referring to the ‘HOLY’ Quran.”
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You'll probably find most of them on Snopes. A better question is why are you asking about this now when a traitor is president of the USA?
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I have been asked to rebut this nonsense reposted by radio personality Mike Gallagher.

I cannot find a single source that addresses this list. My Google-fu is not strong. Is there a site that addresses these claims such as Obama “mocked the Bible and Jesus Christ’s Sermon On The Mount while repeatedly referring to the ‘HOLY’ Quran.”
You have been asked.... by whom? Will they negotiate? Say, number them 1 through 33 and let the person demanding that you debunk the list pick any three items. They're all probably as easily disproved as the four or five I picked, but there's no one source. Idiots have been sending this list, with revisions, for years.

It's a combination of misheard or out-of-context items (check out "My Muslim Faith"), outright lies (No Jewelry on Ramadan) and the usual idiots repeating crap from a satirical site and embellishing it (Obama launched program of mandatory teaching of the Koran).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 06:53 PM   #4
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Several of these require proving a negative. You should point out that there's no evidence, if appropriate.

A couple off the top of my head:

If he bowed to the Saudi King, Obama also bowed to Queen Elizabeth, so I guess he was showing subservience to our reptilian overlords as well.

Assuming the money to rebuild destroyed mosques is at least partly true, that could be for mosques collaterally damaged by American forces.
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:13 PM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Several of these require proving a negative. You should point out that there's no evidence, if appropriate.

A couple off the top of my head:

If he bowed to the Saudi King, Obama also bowed to Queen Elizabeth, so I guess he was showing subservience to our reptilian overlords as well.

Assuming the money to rebuild destroyed mosques is at least partly true, that could be for mosques collaterally damaged by American forces.
Actually it's much less directly related to the US. It was a program to contribute restoration funds to churches, temples, mosques... of all faiths. The crazies at the American Family Whatchamacallit, cherry picked that "some of mah Merkin Money is going to rebuild mosques!!!!". It's taken legs and is still cited today but the figure is from ten to twenty times higher than the original OMG, "nearly a million".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Axxman300
Philosopher

Quote:
It was you who curtailed the military tribunals of all Islamic terrorists.
No. That pesky Federal Court system, and the DoD JAG Corps would be the problem. This is just the latest:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ibunal-1277790

Quote:
The process — intended to bypass civilian courts out of concerns they might offer too many rights to the accused and jeopardize classified information — has run into one hurdle after another, including repeated allegations of intrusions on the confidentiality of defense communications.

The problems have led to a tangle of litigation that has resulted in protracted delays, not only in the Cole case, but in another case against men accused of involvement in the Sept. 11 attacks.
Quote:
It was you who were the first President not to give a Christmas Greeting from the WH, and went so far as to hang photos of Chairman Mao on the WH tree.
Truth:

Quote:
During Christmas 2009, conservatives attacked the White House over Christmas tree decorations. Breitbart's BigGovernment suggested the White House was making "some political statements" by having "Transvestites, Mao And Obama Ornaments Decorate White House Christmas Tree." Fox News' Special Report eatured the "interesting ornaments" on its "Political Grapevine" segment. And the Washington Times linked to and quoted an entry on the conservative NewsReal blog attacking the White House for choosing "a lovely ornament featuring China's mass murderer, Chairman Mao, to adorn our national Christmas tree at the White House."

In reality, Fox News itself noted that the "first lady's office says local community groups were asked to decorate hundreds of ornaments but that they are unaware of these specific decorations."
https://www.salon.com/2014/09/25/the...obama_partner/

Quote:
It was you who appointed rabid Islamists to Homeland Security.
Muslims yes, rabid? Not so much.

https://www.factcheck.org/2010/11/mu...land-security/

Quote:
It was you who funneled $900 Million in U.S. taxpayer dollars to Hamas .
Congress had approved $220 million, because Congress - not the President - can spend money.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...-palestinians/

Fact: Under Obama, the United States killed more Islamic terrorists than the past five Presidents combined. This includes the execution of bin Laden, and our ongoing drone-strikes in Syria, Yemen, and Afghanistan's border regions.
Old 2nd June 2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You have been asked.... by whom? Will they negotiate? Say, number them 1 through 33 and let the person demanding that you debunk the list pick any three items. They're all probably as easily disproved as the four or five I picked, but there's no one source. Idiots have been sending this list, with revisions, for years.

It's a combination of misheard or out-of-context items (check out "My Muslim Faith"), outright lies (No Jewelry on Ramadan) and the usual idiots repeating crap from a satirical site and embellishing it (Obama launched program of mandatory teaching of the Koran).
Yes. I should have been more specific. A close friend stumbled across this crap on someone else’s Facebook feed. She wants to rebut each point to show how wrong this other person is. I speculated that actual evidence might not be well-received by someone who reposts unsupported BS such as this stuff, but my friend is adamant that this bigotry not go unchallenged.

I think I can find most of these items in many of the familiar places. I was just hoping to save a lot of internet legwork by doing some one-stop-shopping as it were.

Also, at this point, I kind of want to do it just so that this thread can be a single location for rebutting these particular claims. I occasionally see this board as more than just a place to just bloviate, opine, pontificate, and otherwise shoot the ****.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
It is you who follows the Muslim custom of not wearing any form of jewelry during Ramadan.
Well, that's not true. Other than his wedding ring, I'm not aware of Obama wearing much jewelry at any time. But a quick search of some google images confirms that he has been photographed wearing his wedding ring during Ramadan.

Honestly, though. This is nothing more than a Gish Gallop of (mostly) BS claims.

That which is claimed without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.

FWIW, I found this from FactCheck.org, which debunks many of the claims on that list:

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/01/ei...rolling-obama/
Old 3rd June 2019, 03:42 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

GOd, another idiot who makes me ashamed to be of Irish descent.

Painfully clear that for some people "freedom of religion" should only be for Christians. And I am sure even there you would have some who say not all Christian churches are worthy of that honor.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd June 2019 at 03:45 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 03:47 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
GOd, another idiot who makes me ashamed to be of Irish descent.

Painfully clear that for some people "freedom of religion" should only be for Christians. And I am sure even there you would have some who say not all Christian churches are worthy of that honor.
I dunno. I think on balance this jackass would fit in pretty well with the other Irish here.
Old 4th June 2019, 05:37 AM   #11
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Well, that's not true. Other than his wedding ring, I'm not aware of Obama wearing much jewelry at any time. But a quick search of some google images confirms that he has been photographed wearing his wedding ring during Ramadan.

Honestly, though. This is nothing more than a Gish Gallop of (mostly) BS claims.

FWIW, I found this from FactCheck.org, which debunks many of the claims on that list:

Other note: Muslim men are not to wear gold which I presume his wedding ring is made of.

https://archive.islamonline.net/?p=1289

That would mean he was a rather bad fake Muslim too.

Quote:
Islam has, however, prohibited two kinds of adornment for men, while permitting them to women. These are, first, gold ornaments and, second, clothing made of pure silk. `Ali reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took some silk in his right hand and some gold in his left, declaring, “These two are haram for the males among my followers.”(Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa’i, Ibn Hayyan, and Ibn Majah, who reports the additional phrase, “but halal for the females.”) `Umar reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, “Do not wear silk, for those who wear it in this life shall not wear it in the Hereafter.” (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim) On another occasion, referring to a silken garment, he said, “This is the dress of a man who has no character.” (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Last edited by Hans; 4th June 2019 at 05:39 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 05:59 AM   #12
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You'll probably find most of them on Snopes. A better question is why are you asking about this now when a traitor is president of the USA?
And proof of this claim?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 06:01 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
And proof of this claim?
Wrong thread. Check the Trump threads.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 06:46 AM   #14
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wrong thread. Check the Trump threads.
Yes, but he posted that in this thread.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 07:23 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Yes, but he posted that in this thread.
So take it to the other thread.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Have you tried applying Hitchens’s razor?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 06:29 AM   #17
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Not all brothers sport the bling yo.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 06:31 AM   #18
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Have you tried applying Hitchens’s razor?
Not that, but a Louisville Slugger could be put to good use on the ******* that came up with that list

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 06:45 AM   #19
carlitos
"más divertido"

I vaguely remember Mike Gallagher as a substitute DJ for ... Rush Limbaugh? Or maybe Michael Medved. I didn't realize that he had gone off the deep end.

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Other note: Muslim men are not to wear gold which I presume his wedding ring is made of.

https://archive.islamonline.net/?p=1289

That would mean he was a rather bad fake Muslim too.

I once met a clever scammer on the side of the road, playing rich Saudi with gold rings on. He offered me some of his expensive rings if I could give him $100 to fix his car. He even greeted me in arabic "Salaam Alekum," and was shocked when I replied "wa alekum a salaam." I should have told him that he wasn't a true muslim with the rings.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 04:29 AM   #20
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m just going to number the points.

1 It was you who on ABC News referenced – “My Muslim faith.”

2 It was you who gave $100 million in U.S. taxpayer funds to re-build foreign mosques .

3 It was you who wrote that in the event of a conflict – “I will stand with the Muslims.”

4 It was you who assured the Egyptian Foreign Minister that – “I am a Muslim.”

5 It was you who bowed in submission before the Saudi King.

6 It was you who sat for 20 years in a Liberation Theology Church condemning Christianity and professing Marxism .

7 It was you who exempted Muslims from penalties under ObamaCare that the rest of us have to pay.

8 It was you who purposefully omitted – “endowed by our Creator” – from your recitation of The Declaration Of Independence.

9 It was you who mocked the Bible and Jesus Christ’s Sermon On The Mount while repeatedly referring to the ‘HOLY’ Quran .

10 It was you who traveled the Islamic world denigrating the United States Of America.

11 It was you who instantly threw the support of your administration behind the building of the Ground Zero Victory mosque overlooking the hallowed crater of the World Trade Center .

12 It was you who refused to attend the National Prayer Breakfast, but hastened to host an Islamic prayer breakfast at the WH.

13 It was you who ordered both Georgetown Univ . and Notre Dame to shroud all vestiges of Jesus Christ BEFORE you would agree to go there to speak, but in contrast, you have NEVER requested that the mosques you have visited adjust their decor .

14 It was you who appointed anti-Christian fanatics to your Czar Corps.

15 It was you who appointed rabid Islamists to Homeland Security.

16 It was you who said that NASA’ s “foremost mission” was an outreach to Muslim communities.

17 It was you who as an Illinois Senator were the ONLY individual who would speak in favor of infanticide .

18 It was you who were the first President not to give a Christmas Greeting from the WH, and went so far as to hang photos of Chairman Mao on the WH tree.

19 It was you who curtailed the military tribunals of all Islamic terrorists.

20 IIt was you who refused to condemn the Ft . Hood killer as an Islamic terrorist.

21 It is you who has refused to speak-out concerning the horrific executions of women throughout the Muslim culture, but yet, have submitted Arizona to the UN for investigation of hypothetical human-rights abuses.

22 It was you who when queried in India refused to acknowledge the true extent of radical global Jihadists , and instead profusely praised Islam in a country that is 82% Hindu and the victim of numerous Islamic terrorists assaults.

23 IIt was you who funneled $900 Million in U.S. taxpayer dollars to Hamas .

24 It was you who ordered the USPS to honor the MUSLIM holiday with a new commemorative stamp.

25 It was you who directed our UK Embassy to conduct outreach to help “empower” the British Muslim community.

26 It was you who embraced the fanatical Muslim Brotherhood in your quest to overthrow the Egyptian President, Hosni Mubarak .

27 It was you who funded mandatory Arabic language and culture studies in Grammar schools across our country.

28 It is you who follows the Muslim custom of not wearing any form of jewelry during Ramadan .

29 It is you who departs for Hawaii over the Christmas season so as to avoid past criticism for NOT participating in seasonal WH religious events—while keeping all those who have to travel and protect you from spending the season with their families.

30 IIt was you who was un -characteristically quick to join the chorus of the Muslim Brotherhood to depose Egypt’ s Hosni Mubarak , formerly America’ s strongest ally in North Africa; but, remain muted in your non-response to the Brotherhood led slaughter of Egyptian Christians.

31 It was you who appointed as your chief adviser, Valerie Jarrett , who is a member of the Muslim Sisterhood , an off-shoot of the Muslim Brotherhood
Remember, Distribute far and wide.
Old 9th June 2019, 07:19 AM   #21
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
That's not an essay. That's a list of horse.
Old 9th June 2019, 10:26 AM   #22
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I had some fun researching this one. I found lots of info on message boards although I am having a hard time finding reliable Independent confirmation of these specific claims.

27 It was you who funded mandatory Arabic language and culture studies in Grammar schools across our country.

The grant money came from the Department of Education. As part of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, the Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) was created to help primary and secondary schools teach foreign languages. Funding stopped in 2011.

Arabic was identified as a critical language by the Department or Education. (I think the military is still paying bonuses for Arabic translators).

A five-year $1.3 million grant was awarded to a school district in Arlington, Texas. The school requested the grant . President Obama did not personally authorize the funding.The program was never implemented. The program was not, as initially reported, required.

As other folks on the internet have pointed out
-Arabic is not a religion.
-If you think Islam is the enemy, then having American students learn Arabic is a good thing (imagine the advantages the US would have had if federal money had been available in the 1930s to teach German and Japanese to high school students)
-If you don’t think Islam is the enemy, then having American students learn Arabic is a good thing because international trade over the next 12 years will certainly require Arabic-speaking businesspeople, engineers, designers, etc.

Last edited by Ladewig; 9th June 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 07:30 PM   #23
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

#26 and #30 are the same thing, and seem to be under the delusion that it was only the Muslim Brotherhood that wanted him out. The author neatly glosses over Mubarak’s massive corruption to gush over him being a ‘strong ally’. Pay no mind to those massive protests against corruption, folks.
Old 9th June 2019, 08:56 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I’m just going to number the points.

1 It was you who on ABC News referenced – “My Muslim faith.”

2 It was you who gave $100 million in U.S. taxpayer funds to re-build foreign mosques .

3 It was you who wrote that in the event of a conflict – “I will stand with the Muslims.”

4 It was you who assured the Egyptian Foreign Minister that – “I am a Muslim.”

5 It was you who bowed in submission before the Saudi King.

6 It was you who sat for 20 years in a Liberation Theology Church condemning Christianity and professing Marxism .

7 It was you who exempted Muslims from penalties under ObamaCare that the rest of us have to pay.

8 It was you who purposefully omitted – “endowed by our Creator” – from your recitation of The Declaration Of Independence.

9 It was you who mocked the Bible and Jesus Christ’s Sermon On The Mount while repeatedly referring to the ‘HOLY’ Quran .

10 It was you who traveled the Islamic world denigrating the United States Of America.

11 It was you who instantly threw the support of your administration behind the building of the Ground Zero Victory mosque overlooking the hallowed crater of the World Trade Center .

12 It was you who refused to attend the National Prayer Breakfast, but hastened to host an Islamic prayer breakfast at the WH.

13 It was you who ordered both Georgetown Univ . and Notre Dame to shroud all vestiges of Jesus Christ BEFORE you would agree to go there to speak, but in contrast, you have NEVER requested that the mosques you have visited adjust their decor .

14 It was you who appointed anti-Christian fanatics to your Czar Corps.

15 It was you who appointed rabid Islamists to Homeland Security.

16 It was you who said that NASA’ s “foremost mission” was an outreach to Muslim communities.

17 It was you who as an Illinois Senator were the ONLY individual who would speak in favor of infanticide .

18 It was you who were the first President not to give a Christmas Greeting from the WH, and went so far as to hang photos of Chairman Mao on the WH tree.

19 It was you who curtailed the military tribunals of all Islamic terrorists.

20 IIt was you who refused to condemn the Ft . Hood killer as an Islamic terrorist.

21 It is you who has refused to speak-out concerning the horrific executions of women throughout the Muslim culture, but yet, have submitted Arizona to the UN for investigation of hypothetical human-rights abuses.

22 It was you who when queried in India refused to acknowledge the true extent of radical global Jihadists , and instead profusely praised Islam in a country that is 82% Hindu and the victim of numerous Islamic terrorists assaults.

23 IIt was you who funneled $900 Million in U.S. taxpayer dollars to Hamas .

24 It was you who ordered the USPS to honor the MUSLIM holiday with a new commemorative stamp.

25 It was you who directed our UK Embassy to conduct outreach to help “empower” the British Muslim community.

26 It was you who embraced the fanatical Muslim Brotherhood in your quest to overthrow the Egyptian President, Hosni Mubarak .

28 It is you who follows the Muslim custom of not wearing any form of jewelry during Ramadan .

29 It is you who departs for Hawaii over the Christmas season so as to avoid past criticism for NOT participating in seasonal WH religious events—while keeping all those who have to travel and protect you from spending the season with their families.

30 IIt was you who was un -characteristically quick to join the chorus of the Muslim Brotherhood to depose Egypt’ s Hosni Mubarak , formerly America’ s strongest ally in North Africa; but, remain muted in your non-response to the Brotherhood led slaughter of Egyptian Christians.

31 It was you who appointed as your chief adviser, Valerie Jarrett , who is a member of the Muslim Sisterhood , an off-shoot of the Muslim Brotherhood
Remember, Distribute far and wide.
Apparently you're not actually interested in refuting this nonsense, just spreading it.
Old 9th June 2019, 11:43 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Don't try to rebut each point. Just point out that the whole thing is a textbook Gish Gallop and that since no evidence is given for any of the individual points, they may all be dismissed without evidence (Hitchen's Razor).

It's a perfectly valid response.
Old 10th June 2019, 04:01 AM   #26
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It's a perfectly valid response.

Perfectly valid, but also ineffective. Do you really believe that such an appeal will win over someone who's forwarding this list in the first place?
Old 10th June 2019, 06:01 AM   #27
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

About 90% of these can be answered with a simple CITATION NEEDED, the rest are gross distortions of reality depending on the pig-ignorance of his bigoted audience.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Since I had some time today I did a quick look at a couple of these that were easy to search:

#8 Obama was not the only President to omit 'the creator' from the line of the DOC. Even Reagan did it: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...t-declaration/

#11 The 'Ground Zero mosque' was nothing of the sort since it was not a mosque (but had a prayer center) and was well away from Ground Zero. This was just hand-wringing by bigots. Obama stood against Teabgger bigots. Go figure: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Park51

#24 Stamp exists. Obama had nothing to do with it. No surprise any clownshoe who buys this crap wouldn't check Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stamping-grounds-2/
Old 10th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #29
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Like most readers, I'm sure, I glanced at a couple at the top and a couple at the bottom.

And when I hit #29, I quit.

He is a muslim because....he goes on vacation in his home state at Christmas?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 08:29 AM   #30
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Like most readers, I'm sure, I glanced at a couple at the top and a couple at the bottom.

I quite after 1, why did it take so long for you?
Old 10th June 2019, 08:42 AM   #31
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Perfectly valid, but also ineffective. Do you really believe that such an appeal will win over someone who's forwarding this list in the first place?
For that target audience, it is probably just as effective as refuting them point by point. It's a consequence of living in a fact-free world.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:50 AM   #32
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It's a consequence of living in a fact-free world.
[tangent]

I don't think if it so much as a fact-free world, but a post-fact world. Facts are still there, just harder to find. I compare it a lot to the entropy problem, Just like disorder is more likely than order, falsehood is more likely than truth. In both cases it's generally the same mechanism: There's only one (or a limited number) of combinations/answers that are orderly/true, and a much higher number that are not. Getting them truthful/orderly takes work.

Call it Hellbound's Three Laws of Deceit:
1. Falsehood can be created and destroyed
1. The falsehood of any un-isolated information system always increases
2. The falsehood of any system approaches infinity as the number of unrestricted contributors increases
Old 10th June 2019, 09:00 AM   #33
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Uh, no. He's not a Muslim.

And even if he were, why would it matter?
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 10:57 AM   #34
carlitos
"más divertido"

I was NOT a Barack Obama fan, but these are ridiculous.
That would be the Trinity United Church of Christ "condemning Christianity."

Quote:
United Church of Christ Statement of Faith—adapted by Robert V. Moss

We believe in God, the Eternal Spirit, who is made known to us in Jesus our brother, and to whose deeds we testify:

God calls the worlds into being, creates humankind in the divine image, and sets before us the ways of life and death.

God seeks in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.

God judges all humanity and all nations by that will of righteousness declared through prophets and apostles.

In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Lord,God has come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the whole creation to its Creator.

God bestows upon us the Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.

God calls us into the church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be servants in the service of the whole human family, to proclaim the gospel to all the world and resist the powers of evil, to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at his table,to join him in his passion and victory.

God promises to all who trust in the gospel forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace,the presence of the Holy Spirit in trial and rejoicing, and eternal life in that kingdom which has no end.

Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto God.

Amen.

Speaking in favor of infanticide would be evidence of being a Muslim how? Are Muslims pro-infanticide?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:51 PM   #35
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

The list also cited his attendance of a "liberation theology" Christian church (I think they're talking about the church where Jeremiah Wright preached.) as evidence that he is a Muslim.

Wright did seem to be a bit of a nut, but he was no Muslim.

The damn list is pretty much self-refuting.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 06:54 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I can see, Ladewig is Just Asking Questions in order to promote this crappe. No effort to refute it on his part is apparent.
Old 10th June 2019, 09:28 PM   #37
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As far as I can see, Ladewig is Just Asking Questions in order to promote this crappe. No effort to refute it on his part is apparent.
I’ll admit I am dragging my feet.

But given that during my 18 years here I have NEVER once promoted this kind of ******** and have always condemned this crap, I’m going to say **** off.

There is absolutely no evidence that President Obama is a Muslim. People who believe he was a Muslim during his administration are closed-minded bigots who can’t be bothered to look at any evidence.
Old 10th June 2019, 09:31 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

So look for, and post, some evidence already.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:12 AM   #39
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

In post #8 I linked to a good place to start.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:49 AM   #40
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I've run into almost all of these at one point or another on right wing boards or social media groups. They do all have refutations but it is a bit of a bother. Might be a good idea for us to create a master sheet of sorts like how we did back when 9/11 conspiracism was so rampant.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories