IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 10:23 AM   #601
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
So TM says:

1. We can't have her deal because it's been rejected
I don'tthink she ever has said, or ever will say, that. She just says we can't have it yet because the people voting on it haven't got the right answer yet.

I think she's given up now.
No, she's still holding the "The answer is my deal, even though I didn't listen to the question" line; she just used it on Ed Milliband.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:24 AM   #602
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ah, March the 15th again.
It's amazing that we asked for an extension from the EU and have spent the time making ZERO progress on anything.

I think her final roll of the dice may well be simply to say 'look vote for my deal or I will revoke A50 and then resign'

If there is a game of no-deal chicken I think she will blink first because she really doesn't want to be the PM who led us into that catastrophe.

So either she gets a long extension of at least a year or revokes a50, quits, we call an election and see if we can go somewhere from there.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:27 AM   #603
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I think her final roll of the dice may well be simply to say 'look vote for my deal or I will revoke A50 and then resign'
I'd be happy with that; there's no way Parliament would vote for her deal, so that would get us off the hook nicely. Unfortunately, she's unlikely to do anything that sensible. Or that decisive.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:37 AM   #604
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So TM says:

1. We can't have her deal because it's been rejected
2. We can't have no deal because it's been rejected
3. She won't revoke A50
4. She won't bring alternative proposals to the house because the EU might not agree to them and/or Parliament might like some of them.

I think she's given up now.
I note one of those options lacks a "because" statement.

I hold out hope that she is secretly headed to that safe port, knowing that her ship is incapable of any further voyage.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:39 AM   #605
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Then why have a referendum?
Democracy.

Quote:
How about limiting the decision to a known group with reasonable knowledge?
Wisdom of the crowd.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:40 AM   #606
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's amazing that we asked for an extension from the EU and have spent the time making ZERO progress on anything.

If there is a game of no-deal chicken I think she will blink first because she really doesn't want to be the PM who led us into that catastrophe.

So either she gets a long extension of at least a year or revokes a50, quits, we call an election and see if we can go somewhere from there.
I disagree. I think while she would prefer her deal to pass, she considers no-deal to be a perfectly acceptable second prize which will also be very popular in the Conservative Party.

She, and the Conservative Party, don't think that a no-deal Brexit will be a catastrophe, instead they think it will be a series of short term inconveniences until the Europeans come to their senses, realise that they need us more than we need then, and accede to our wishes - this despite ample evidence to the contrary.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 10:44 AM   #607
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
She, and the Conservative Party, don't think that a no-deal Brexit will be a catastrophe,.
I am not so sure. She's useless but not stupid.

Even most of the MPs who support No Deal are only doing it for their own interests. They know it will be a disaster for the country as well.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 11:59 AM   #608
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I disagree. I think while she would prefer her deal to pass, she considers no-deal to be a perfectly acceptable second prize which will also be very popular in the Conservative Party.

She, and the Conservative Party, don't think that a no-deal Brexit will be a catastrophe, instead they think it will be a series of short term inconveniences until the Europeans come to their senses, realise that they need us more than we need then, and accede to our wishes - this despite ample evidence to the contrary.
Agreed. Isn't that what hard Brexiteers have been selling all along? As for May, "If they vote down my agreement and mistreat me in the House," she must think, "I jolly well shall take the lead on the only option left," whilst blaming absolutely everyone else who is not of like mind for all bad tidings.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 25th March 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 12:03 PM   #609
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The first two points were:

1. People were promised things and they voted for them
2. The government is unable to deliver the things people were promised

and they're inextricably linked. Strictly speaking, the only things on the 'contract' were stay and leave, and the voters signed for leave, so crashing out with no deal would fulfill the terms of that contract.
Yep the people voted to tear up the good friday agreement and that is what the UK government is bound to do. Why else hold a non binding referendum if not to give the government coverage for violating its international obligations?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 12:37 PM   #610
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

And why would someone that uses skepticism think a second referendum ensures the right decisions are made?
There's no guarantee of the best possible outcome, but can you not see that a decision based on the actual options available is likely to be better than one based on purely imaginary deals and outcomes that have since been shown to not be on offer? I honestly don't think you're so stupid you can't see this, while you frequently skirt the fringe of trolling I actually find some of your questions interesting and sometimes inciteful, but this is below you.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 12:41 PM   #611
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
There's no guarantee of the best possible outcome, but can you not see that a decision based on the actual options available is likely to be better than one based on purely imaginary deals and outcomes that have since been shown to not be on offer? I honestly don't think you're so stupid you can't see this, while you frequently skirt the fringe of trolling I actually find some of your questions interesting and sometimes inciteful, but this is below you.
The actual options are the same as the actual options three years ago. Non stupid people knew it was bad and didn't fall for it
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 12:45 PM   #612
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

The actual options are the same as the actual options three years ago. Non stupid people knew it was bad and didn't fall for it
thats not true. nobody knew what the withdrawal agreement would be 3 years ago
Old 25th March 2019, 12:55 PM   #613
BobTheCoward
Banned

The guardian in the lead up wrote

Quote:
It will put the settlement in Northern Ireland – the fragile prize won so recently from decades of hatred – at risk. Is that worth it? Not at all.
Backstop
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 01:05 PM   #614
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Sure they did, the leave campaign was quite clear, it would be all the benefits and none of the costs/responsibilities of membership. Now we are having reality like the Spanish will not simply give British pensioners free healthcare out of the goodness of their hearts, and that the brits may have to buy their health care on the free market.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 01:17 PM   #615
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry Bob, you're not that stupid and I really can't be bothered to play your games. I'm taking a break from even reading your posts.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:12 PM   #616
IanS
Philosopher

Just 2 mins ago - MPs vote for Indicative Votes (i.e. putting more control in hands of all MPs, and weakening Mrs May's control). Vital vote ... 329 for the Indicative Voting vs 302 against (and Mrs May had put a Whip on all Tories to vote against that ... so 329 to 302 was bigger than expected victory, ie now enabling MPs to have a list of options for Indicative Voting this week).

Update ... BBC report here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47701591

Update ... 3 Conservative MPs are reported to have resigned this evening in order to defy Mrs May's Tory Whip, and vote for the above Indicative Votes.

Last edited by IanS; 25th March 2019 at 03:20 PM.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:18 PM   #617
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Plus another two ministerial resignations, I believe.

ETA make that three.

Last edited by ctamblyn; 25th March 2019 at 03:21 PM.
ctamblyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:20 PM   #618
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by ctamblyn View Post
Plus another two ministerial resignations, I believe.
It's three now.

As well as Richard Harrington, the Foreign Office minister Alistair Burt and the health minister Steve Brine have also resigned because they voted for the Letwin amendment, government sources have confirmed.

The Beckett amendment could also be very important and is being voted on right now.

It's all kicking off Bye, Theresa, nice to have known you.

Last edited by GlennB; 25th March 2019 at 03:23 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #619
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It's three now.

As well as Richard Harrington, the Foreign Office minister Alistair Burt and the health minister Steve Brine have also resigned because they voted for the Letwin amendment, government sources have confirmed.
You beat me to my edit

May is surely toast before long now?
Old 25th March 2019, 03:24 PM   #620
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

All in all, 30 Tories voted for Letwin's amendment.
Old 25th March 2019, 03:27 PM   #621
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Second amendment defeated
Old 25th March 2019, 03:28 PM   #622
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

You beat me to my edit

May is surely toast before long now?
I cross-edited too Yeah, toast pretty soon, especially if the Beckett amendment passes; that makes May surplus to requirements afaics.

Mind you ... crazy days.

eta: damn. Beckett defeated by three. Time yet for that, perhaps?

Last edited by GlennB; 25th March 2019 at 03:31 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 03:32 PM   #623
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Parliament still have other mechanisms for preventing no deal now, so hopefully not a big issue.

Main motion now being voted on...
Old 25th March 2019, 03:42 PM   #624
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Doubtless, all the leave voters will be delighted by this victory for parliamentary sovereignty.
Old 25th March 2019, 03:43 PM   #625
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Passed 327 to 300.
Old 25th March 2019, 05:37 PM   #626
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Doubtless, all the leave voters will be delighted by this victory for parliamentary sovereignty.
If delight is displayed by apoplexy, you nailed it.

You guys are funnier than Americans.
Old 25th March 2019, 05:50 PM   #627
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
If delight is displayed by apoplexy, you nailed it.

You guys are funnier than Americans.
We aim to please.
Old 25th March 2019, 05:52 PM   #628
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Richard Harrington's resignation letter. Pretty scathing:

https://twitter.com/Richard4Watford/...02682835759106
Old 25th March 2019, 06:03 PM   #629
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

What are the looking term ramifications for this? Party discipline, whips, loyalty to your party. All they can be ignored now. Probably means a lot of unpredictable outcomes for a long time on contentious issues.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 06:04 PM   #630
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

We aim to please.
All you need is the Benny Hill wacky sax now.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 06:18 PM   #631
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

AFAIK nothing has changed, constitutionally, despite claims by some MPs who opposed the Letwin amendment (like Bill Cash).

In essence, this is just a one-day suspension of Standing Order 14(1) (which "provides that government business shall have precedence at every sitting", with certain exceptions such as days set aside for opposition days, private members' bills etc.). Standing Orders can be changed by Parliament if it so wishes, this is not in principle anything new. It's Parliament asserting its existing authority in the face of, basically, incompetence by the executive.

ETA: Obviously, I am not a lawyer so this could be off.

Last edited by ctamblyn; 25th March 2019 at 07:07 PM.
ctamblyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 06:19 PM   #632
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
All you need is the Benny Hill wacky sax now.
Like I said, we aim to please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Old 25th March 2019, 09:20 PM   #633
SezMe
post-pre-born

Then why have a referendum? How about limiting the decision to a known group with reasonable knowledge?
If you ever wonder why people get fed up with your postings, just reread this post and ponder it with deep introspection.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 11:02 PM   #634
This is The End

We aim to please.

Here we call it a "hold my beer".

(Which basically means that in a crowd when someone does something absolutely insane there will always be another person that says "Hold my beer. You haven't seen anything yet!")
Old 25th March 2019, 11:26 PM   #635
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
If you ever wonder why people get fed up with your postings, just reread this post and ponder it with deep introspection.
I don't follow
Old 26th March 2019, 12:12 AM   #636
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I don't follow
Because your philosophy tends to prefer an idealised* system to people, when the system is set up by people for their mutual benefit**.

*And often unpleasant imagined version of the rules.

**ETA, or at least a compromise to stop any one group exercising too much power over the rest.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 26th March 2019 at 12:19 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 12:42 AM   #637
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

You got me on board with every point but the first one. As a lot of people with me in boot camp learned,what the person said will happen and what the contract you signed said are different. Only the actual document matters.
Contracts are legally binding, the said referendum was not. In a sense the referendum is what the recruiter said, legality is a whole lot different.

McHrozni
Old 26th March 2019, 02:10 AM   #638
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Any goods you buy that come from the EU are cheaper because of the EU. You can travel abroad in the EU with minimal documentation. You need a passport at the border between the UK and the rest of the EU (except Ireland) but your drivers license and your car insurance are valid in the EU. Also, Your mobile phone operator cannot fleece you as it used to do when in other EU countries.

Your car is much safer than in the past because of EU standards. Food that you eat is safer because of EU safety standards.

Your employment rights are higher because of EU employment law. For example, most people cannot be made to work more than 48 hours per week because of the EU.

If you are a research scientist, you could be being funded by the EU science budget. If you work for an airline, your company benefits enormously from EU wide agreements on air travel.

You can be sure your Claret comes from Bordeaux, your Parma ham and your Stilton come from the correct regions.

If you want to live and work in Germany, France or even Romania, you can do so thanks to the EU.

There are down sides of course, you cannot drive your workers for 80 hours a week and you cannot call your dry cured ham that you make in a factory outside Rotherham “Parma ham”. Also, you can’t stop Romanians, Germans or French from coming here, taking jobs, paying taxes and improving the cultural diversity of the place.

It should be noted that, when I say “the EU”, as of now that includes the UK. All of the laws and regulations that lead to the things above were agreed in a decision making process in which the British government has huge influence. That influence will be going away in any scenario that is not Remain.
Quoted simply because this is a great statement.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 03:17 AM   #639
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a couple of other countries vote to leave the EU, only to find themselves in an incredible mess, so reversed their decision? I haven't seen any mention of this in relation to Brexit, though, which seems very strange if it happened. Did I dream it?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 03:21 AM   #640
Traveler Steve
Thinker

As a Yank I am following this in horrified fascination. Forgive me this question, as I don't see it outlined above in the thread, but -

What if, for some extreme and extraordinary reason, the Queen comes out with a statement boiled down to "We would prefer not to exit the EU."

Please understand, I don't expect that to happen. But crazier things have indeed happened in the world, and I am genuinely curious what might happen if that occurred. From the social standpoint it would be a "wow' moment, I feel, but does it have any legal weight? Can the Queen stop this if she so chose?
Traveler Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics