ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:20 PM   #201
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Great shot ....looks like the bird is considering it for lunch

Black Macaws - huge birds...could not get close

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6....37%2520PM.jpg
I seem to have missed a page, reading this on a mobile phone, but besides other shots (such as the controversial eagle shots), these are actually Red-tailed Black Cockatoos (Calyptorhynchus banksii), not Macaws.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2013, 04:13 PM   #202
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
but I'm quite happy with this picture)
You have a knack for understatement. I'd be annoyingly happy with such a fine shot.

Fitz
"Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God!"
Howard Beale, "Network"
fitzgibbon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2013, 05:30 PM   #203
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

This year the two Herring Gulls that have been living here and nesting on my top floor balcony have raised three chicks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7945975...7633850117039/

They are now nearly six weeks old and should be flying any day now.
Old 7th August 2013, 06:38 PM   #204
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Anyone have any ideas on this guy?

I've heard it often but previously assumed it was a male cardinal. Clearly not. For those of you with DropBox, here's a short video clip with his song if that helps

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cal%20bird.mov

Fitz
"Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God!"
Howard Beale, "Network"
fitzgibbon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 08:34 PM   #205
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of random bird notes from relatively uninteresting Vermont.

First of all, a sandhill crane has been spotted in Mount Holly, Vermont. Must have blown off course.

Second, not long ago a very old (probably 1860's) hollow apple tree behind our house lost a very large section. It had been cabled together for the last 35 years or so, and one of the cable anchors pulled through the decaying trunk. Hanging from the lost portion was a little wren house which was inhabited, and I thought the wren family was a goner. But I went out and found the house under some debris and it sounded as if something was alive, so I rehung it. Within a few hours, the wrens were back bringing food. For the next week, I worked cabling the remaining tree together, sawing up the wreckage, and so forth, and the wrens would wait in the branches, singing up a storm, until I got a little way away, and then resumed their duties. Nothing special here, except that I think wrens are very nice little birds!

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2013, 08:41 PM   #206
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by fitzgibbon View Post
Anyone have any ideas on this guy? http://desmond-secure.yfrog.com/secu.../814/n29ea.jpg

I've heard it often but previously assumed it was a male cardinal. Clearly not. For those of you with DropBox, here's a short video clip with his song if that helps

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cal%20bird.mov

Fitz
The picture link doesn't seem to be working. From the video clip, I'd say some kind of wren. Maybe a Bewick's Wren?
Old 8th August 2013, 04:02 AM   #207
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
The picture link doesn't seem to be working. From the video clip, I'd say some kind of wren. Maybe a Bewick's Wren?
Sorry about that. Try this instead

I might add that this is Toronto-area

Fitz
Howard Beale, "Network"

Last edited by fitzgibbon; 8th August 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 28th September 2013, 04:07 PM   #208
dasmiller

Well, this thread has gotten quiet!

Went back out to Bolsa Chica this morning; this time I got up early to get there right after sunrise. If I were slightly smarter, I'd have realized that this meant driving straight into the sunrise on a very clear morning, and I might have planned a little differently. Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and I spent 3 hours wandering around and taking pictures.

First, I'm not wild about cormorants, but I've struggled to get good flight pictures of them anyway. Finally got a few, including this one:

Cormorant Flyby #1

Next, I was on a bridge when this pelican took off and headed straight for me. At first, I though he might actually hit me, but he passed a bit above me and off to the side. I snapped this as he went past; this picture is not cropped; he was simply too close for me to get much of him in the picture. I wish they'd warn you when they're going to do something like this:

Pelican close flyby

This GBH looks fast, but it was actually slowing down for a landing:

GBH Almost-Fast Flyby

I've had trouble getting flight shots of the smaller shorebirds, so I have to post this one of a pair of willets:

Willet flyby

And I'll end with a Great Egret and an almost-successful hunt (the fish eventually got away):

Had it, lost it
Old 28th September 2013, 07:17 PM   #209
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Nice. I really like that last egret shot.

Very little bird activity here - I see birds, but have not seen anything new or very exciting recently, and have not been out taking pictures for a while, so at the moment not much to report. Good to see they're still flying, though.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2013, 08:05 PM   #210
dasmiller

Thanks. In the back part of the reserve (20 minute hike from the nearest parking lot. Or bathroom), a flock of white pelicans seemed to have trapped a school of fish and was gorging themselves, and all the other birds were hanging around. This made for a great concentration of herons, egrets, cormorants, pelicans, terns, etc. There was constant activity, so I simply sat on the path and started taking pictures. The GBH and Great Egret pics are from that part of the trip. I suspect that, 20 years from now, that'll be one of my memorable birding moments.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology