ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2005, 11:53 AM   #1
American

Teens Sought in Pa. Killings Found

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1311055

Quote:
BELLEVILLE, Ind. Nov 14, 2005 — A man wanted in a Pennsylvania double homicide and apparent abduction of 14-year-old girl was captured Monday after a car he was driving crashed in Indiana following a police pursuit, State Police said.
I bet you ANYTHING it was that dumb girl who really did it, and then made her boyfriend escape with her.

It's just a theory, but a pretty sound one if I know anything about teenage girls!
American is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by American View Post
It's just a theory, but a pretty sound one if I know anything about teenage girls!
That's a mighty big "if."
Old 14th November 2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Manny
Illuminator

It's just a theory...
No, it's not. It's not even a hypothesis. It even gives speculation a bad name. It's a "guess." It seems to me that on a skeptics' forum you'd want to wait for at least a scintilla of evidence beyond that you couldn't get laid in high school before making an accusation of the weight you just did.
Manny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Jocko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by manny View Post
No, it's not. It's not even a hypothesis. It even gives speculation a bad name. It's a "guess." It seems to me that on a skeptics' forum you'd want to wait for at least a scintilla of evidence beyond that you couldn't get laid in high school before making an accusation of the weight you just did.
I'd suggest an even better term would be "fantasy."

And American... I really don't want to know what you know about teenage girls. Please. I don't have the time to be called as a witness, okay?
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

The first thing that came to my mind when I read about this case in the newspapers was, 'I'm glad teenagers in my country have no access to guns'.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:50 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The first thing that came to my mind when I read about this case in the newspapers was, 'I'm glad teenagers in my country have no access to guns'.
Really? Mine was "I'm glad I don't have children."
Old 14th November 2005, 12:53 PM   #7
American

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Mine was "How awful! I bet that girl did it and she probably set-up her boyfriend to look like a murderer."
American is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Mark
Philosopher

Mine was "How awful! I bet that girl did it and she probably set-up her boyfriend to look like a murderer."
Troll.
Mark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 01:08 PM   #9
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

I find it sexist that people just assume that the guy did it.
I find it even more sexist that people don't assume the girl wasn't atleast an accomplish.

Sincerely
Tobias

If equality only goes one way, it isn't equality.
Old 14th November 2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Really? Mine was, "Hmm, for a 14 year-old she looks hot!"

<ducks!>
Old 14th November 2005, 01:13 PM   #11
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Really? Mine was, "Hmm, for a 14 year-old she looks hot!"

<ducks!>
Yeah, i thought that as well, except for the 14 year-old part, spased that, i just thought she was hot, if not a bit too thin.

Sincerely
Tobias

Well, if all the girls can oggle the boys in HP, why should i feel bad for oggling a girl of the same age.
Old 14th November 2005, 01:40 PM   #12
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

When you see the larger picture, her age is more apparent and she becomes less attractive.

Old 14th November 2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Mark
Philosopher

When you see the larger picture, her age is more apparent and she becomes less attractive.

I wasn't attracted to 14 year olds when I was 14!
Mark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 01:45 PM   #14
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

agreed, and agreed.
Old 14th November 2005, 02:02 PM   #15
headscratcher4
Philosopher

See, this is what happens when you home school children. If these kids had been permitted to attend a normal, urban public school, they would have had a much better sense of how to handle a firearm in a threatening manner so that it didn't necessarilly lead to death. Or, perhaps they would have perfected better "drive-by" shooting skills, so that they didn't need to waste valuable time in her parents house. As it is, the home school environment leads to a complete lack of necessary socialization skills that, sadly, have resulted in the distruction of a whole family.

Obviously, home schooling should be banned.

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 02:38 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I'm blaming rock music.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 02:48 PM   #17
Jocko
Philosopher

Nice forehead. What, is she half Klingon?
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 02:51 PM   #18
Manny
Illuminator

She does have a Bird of Prey on her hoodie.
Manny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Jocko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by manny View Post
She does have a Bird of Prey on her hoodie.
Set phasers to "Jailbait."
Old 14th November 2005, 03:05 PM   #20
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 04:32 PM   #21
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I walk away shocked that there exist such poor examples of humanity that will stoop to killing when denied things they want. It frustrates me even more that somehow these destructive individuals seem adept at attracting mates who should know better. Darwin would be rolling in his grave.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 04:41 PM   #22
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Fundies, need I say more?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 04:47 PM   #23
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

You fool! This is indisputably and obviously the outcome of playing "Grand Theft Auto" aggravated by a peek at Janet Jackson's nipple.
Old 14th November 2005, 04:48 PM   #24
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Fundies, need I say more?
yeah, deluded.

Or is that implicit

Sincerely
Tobias

Grinning, just a biiit too much.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:05 PM   #25
LibraryLady
Emeritus

But, interestingly, they both have Web sites that talk about their love for Christian music. Maybe they should listen to rock.

This is a tragic story, somewhat reminiscent of Starkweather and Fugate. I've been stuck home today with a stomach thing, and have been watching the news. I'm keeping an open mind until there is more information. I'm funny that way.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:13 PM   #26
Ed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TobiasTheCommie View Post
I find it sexist that people just assume that the guy did it.
I find it even more sexist that people don't assume the girl wasn't atleast an accomplish.

Sincerely
Tobias

If equality only goes one way, it isn't equality.
Men tend to murder more.

Why use a silly "ist" word in the first place?
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:14 PM   #27
Ed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
But, interestingly, they both have Web sites that talk about their love for Christian music. Maybe they should listen to rock.

This is a tragic story, somewhat reminiscent of Starkweather and Fugate. I've been stuck home today with a stomach thing, and have been watching the news. I'm keeping an open mind until there is more information. I'm funny that way.
Also reminiscent of Micky and Mallory Knox. Piquant, I think the term is.
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:18 PM   #28
Manny
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Men tend to murder more.
Also in this case it requires another accomplice if the girl did it. Her sister told the police that it was Ludwig who pulled the trigger.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:18 PM   #29
zakur
Illuminator

Web postings reveal interests of alleged killer, girl

Quote:
Her main interests were "JESUS!," soccer and "having partys OH YEAH BABY." He was preoccupied with his new computer system, his hairstyle and deer hunting.

[...]

Ludwig posted dozens of self-portraits - including some posing with what looks like a sword - and 20 images labeled "Hunting 2004" in which he and other teenage boys hold up beer bottles and grin beside the carcasses of freshly killed deer.

[...]

"Her sister, Katelyn, was saying she was kind of being rebellious lately and she has some of the wrong friends," Heesen said Monday. "She was kind of going away from her family or parents or whatever, and not being right with the Lord."

[...]

"The way I knew her, she was very smart and she was like an amazing friend," she said. "She's very Christian and I would have never thought any of this would happen."
And so the the defense begins of yet another good Christian girl (except for that part about "having partys OH YEAH BABY") lured away from righteousness by a ne'er-do-well...
zakur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:22 PM   #30
Ducky

Mine was "Dude, she TOTALLY ripped off REO Speedwagon."

I agree with manny's assessment of your guess.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:26 PM   #31
AmateurScientist

Also reminiscent of Micky and Mallory Knox. Piquant, I think the term is.
They totally copied Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/combined

AS
AmateurScientist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:29 PM   #32
Ducky

Originally Posted by AmateurScientist View Post

AS

I had forgotten about that movie.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 05:54 PM   #33
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Men tend to murder more.
Maybe, i wouldn't know, they certainly murder more loudly, i would agree with that. Women usually do the poison thingy. As to the statistical difference between the two, i don't know if there is one. Must admit i never really cared enough to look it up

Why use a silly "ist" word in the first place?
Because people were calling America a troll for believing the girl was in any way involved. At that point i knew nothing about the case, and as far as i knew it might just as well have been her.

I get angry because people always asume it is the man. We have many many MANY cases where a man and a woman are equal partners in crime, and the woman doesn't get the same sentence as the man. That is something that is bothering me, because we have the feminsts(not so much now, but before), that want equality, but only equality that is good for them.

For instance, many countries have drafting, only for men.
Women almost always get the children in a divorce, and way too often the man isn't allowed to see his children for no good reason(granted, in some cases it is for good reason).
Women get a lesser sentence when breaking the law, even for the same crime, even if doing it as an equal parrtner, even if it is about pedophilia and/or incest.

And a personal thing that pissed me off once.
Back in grade school, we had some diploma we could get in gym. Now, i didn't really care about the diploma, but i was very pissed when the guys had to do run/ride [distance] within 20 min to get the diploma, and the girl had to do it in 30.

Hey, do we want equality or what?

Women football, man football? why should there be a difference, if the woman is good enough to join the team, she should be allowed to join the team.

Just last month, i saw a poster for a "Demonstration for equality" and in the bottom right "Only for women" WHAT THE ****????????

Hell, i'm all for equality, but if it is "only for women" then it is NOT equality.

So, till we knew what happened(i see now a post with a link that says the guy shot the parents, witnessed by younger sister, i didn't know that before), i think it is wrong to just assume that she is 100% innocent.

For that matter, i still think that, we don't know what is going on, she could very well be a partner in this, forcing/goading him to do it. That is not to say he shouldn't be punished, of course he should. But if she was in any way party to this, so should she, and people just assume (because she is a girl) that she is "oh so innocent" and that is NOT equality.

Sincerely
Tobias

Yeah, i want equality for the sexes. But sorry if a blew a fuse writting this post.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:57 PM   #34
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by AmateurScientist View Post

AS
Which was based on Starkweather and Fugate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starkweather
Old 14th November 2005, 07:07 PM   #35
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
You fool! This is indisputably and obviously the outcome of playing "Grand Theft Auto" aggravated by a peek at Janet Jackson's nipple.
Could you post a picture of said nipple? I would like to stare at it, and see if it causes me to murder anyone. Strictly in the interest of science.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 07:46 PM   #36
Ranb
Philosopher

It is impossible for teenagers to gain access to guns where you live? How old does one have to be to own a gun there? Are parents of teens allowed to even have guns in the house?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 07:58 PM   #37
ysabella
Muse

Women who seek equality lack ambition. There's a simple biological reason why only males are drafted, by the way. It has to do with population recovery.

Given the statistics in the US that are overwhelmingly in favor of males when it comes to perpetrating a murder, it's not unreasonable to tend to assume it was the guy who did the shooting. Still, I've heard of teenage girls murdering so I didn't assume anything myself.

But Christian rock? That could drive anyone to violence. Perhaps it will be involved in the plea.
Old 14th November 2005, 08:57 PM   #38
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It is impossible for teenagers to gain access to guns where you live? How old does one have to be to own a gun there? Are parents of teens allowed to even have guns in the house?

Ranb
It's not 100% impossible, just very unlikely.

For hunting rifles and simple shotguns, there is no age limit, but you have to take hunting classes and get a hunting license to own one. For pistols and revolvers, you have to be 20 and be an active member of a gun club. Of course, you also need a clean police record.

But even though it's possible to own a gun, very few people do. I don't know a single person that does. Honestly, I don't know why someone would want to own a gun, except for hunting (And crime, of course).
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 10:28 PM   #39
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

But even though it's possible to own a gun, very few people do. I don't know a single person that does. Honestly, I don't know why someone would want to own a gun, except for hunting (And crime, of course).
I bet you know people who are gun owners only you just don't know they are gun owners.
Old 14th November 2005, 10:37 PM   #40
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Troll.
Hey Mark, we have something we can both agree on. Cool!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics