ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags immortality , logic

Reply
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:15 AM   #201
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,184
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Before Kumar arrived, who had even heard of A&F?
I still have no idea what it means. I skim through the Kumar threads and keep seeing it, and I tried to search for the origin of it both here and on Google and failed. I just haven't bothered asking because I got the impression it wouldn't really have much of an impact on Kumar's arguments - that almost anything could be swapped out for "A&F" and it would be equally wrong.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:06 AM   #202
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,698
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
.. that almost anything could be swapped out for "A&F" and it would be equally wrong.
AF right.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:26 AM   #203
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Why you want to continue with non A&F? Yes, one attribute of nature is destruction but it does not mean, wé should prefer it to keep on processing. The way, you anticipate suggest, you do not want ultimate levels. Is it so?
Firstly, Kumar, my vote is for reality. Where did I say destruction is an attribute of nature? (Nature can be seen as having myriad attributes, none of which are under discussion here.) "Ultimate levels"? Just how in Tunket can there be levels to "ultimate"? Again, still, as ever, you make less than no sense at all.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:10 PM   #204
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,649
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Quote:
Kumar, who, other than you, has demanded that anything should be "A&F"? Please answer the question, with links to the posts where they did it.
All índirectly. As I indicated. I have very good rémberance,

Kumar, you are lying. Nobody has demanded that anything should be "A&F". That's why, despite your "very good rémberance", you are completely unable to link to posts where they have.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:38 PM   #205
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,720
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Kumar, you are lying. Nobody has demanded that anything should be "A&F". That's why, despite your "very good rémberance", you are completely unable to link to posts where they have.
It takes a very peculiar brand of - I'm not even sure whether words like enormous hubris and cognitive dissonance come close enough - of whatever you can call it to suggest that those of us who have hammered away for post after post in thread after thread saying there is no such thing as "A&F" and that the suggestion that anything be "A&F" is ignorant ill-educated baloney, have in any "indirect way" called for the very thing we condemn, berate and call utter nonsense.

Of course one must reckon with the ability of some posters to assert that black is white and true is false, so to call a person simply a liar might be too charitable an assessment of the problem. A liar does, after all, by definition, have some inking of what the truth is, and in this case, I regret to say that assumption is far from either absolute or final.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM   #206
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Kumar, you are lying. Nobody has demanded that anything should be "A&F". That's why, despite your "very good rémberance", you are completely unable to link to posts where they have.
You should remember. I already gave clues. If quotes are needed, we can never proceed but shall always move in circle. If you still want, search in all our interactions. But it is A&F that you demanded A&F type evidences.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM   #207
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It takes a very peculiar brand of - I'm not even sure whether words like enormous hubris and cognitive dissonance come close enough - of whatever you can call it to suggest that those of us who have hammered away for post after post in thread after thread saying there is no such thing as "A&F" and that the suggestion that anything be "A&F" is ignorant ill-educated baloney, have in any "indirect way" called for the very thing we condemn, berate and call utter nonsense.

Of course one must reckon with the ability of some posters to assert that black is white and true is false, so to call a person simply a liar might be too charitable an assessment of the problem. A liar does, after all, by definition, have some inking of what the truth is, and in this case, I regret to say that assumption is far from either absolute or final.
You do not know, how much they harshed me by rejecting all the evidences by this and that excuse. Indirectly they took benefit of doubt due to non A&F nature of evidences of other side inspite of anticipating science is neither A&F nor it can ever be. Even on Jainism, they are behaving similarily inspite of fact that many links and justification, may be of some non A&F nature, are provided. It is irrational egoistic scepticism and odd preception. Selfish Interests, I can not say.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM   #208
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
AF right.
Good, you have started recognizing A&F.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM   #209
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,275
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
You should remember. I already gave clues. If quotes are needed, we can never proceed but shall always move in circle. If you still want, search in all our interactions. But it is A&F that you demanded A&F type evidences.
Because you were lying.
I don't think lying is a virtue in Jainism
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #210
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,649
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
You should remember. I already gave clues. If quotes are needed, we can never proceed but shall always move in circle.

Providing evidence for your claims is not "moving in circles". You're just trying to make excuses for your inability to back up your false accusations.

Quote:
If you still want, search in all our interactions.

I have read them. Nobody, apart from you, has demanded "A&F type evidences".

Quote:
But it is A&F that you demanded A&F type evidences.

No, it isn't: it is a lie. The only person here who even thinks that "A&F" is possible is you.

That fact that people have pointed out that what you claim is evidence is at best very poor evidence, and often not evidence for the proposition you are arguing for, does not mean that they are demanding "A&F" evidence. Just good evidence.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; Yesterday at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typo.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM   #211
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster
 
Filippo Lippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,740
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
You do not know, how much they harshed me by rejecting all the evidences by this and that excuse. Indirectly they took benefit of doubt due to non A&F nature of evidences of other side inspite of anticipating science is neither A&F nor it can ever be. Even on Jainism, they are behaving similarily inspite of fact that many links and justification, may be of some non A&F nature, are provided. It is irrational egoistic scepticism and odd preception. Selfish Interests, I can not say.
Only dogs can hear the melody emanating from the world's smallest violin, yet it played all the same
__________________
"You may not know anything about the issue but I bet you reckon something.
So why not tell us what you reckon? Let us enjoy the full majesty of your uninformed, ad hoc reckon..."
David Mitchell
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #212
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
[quote=Mojo;12088000]Providing evidence for your claims is not "moving in circles". You're just trying to make excuses for your inability to back up your false accusations.
Depending on odd precption and irrational skepticism, one can be odd but do not consider himself accordingly. Mine demand for A&F evidences is always rejected but always demanded A&F from me. There are only two category, A&F or non A&F. More or less do not matter.



Quote:
I have read them. Nobody, apart from you, has demanded "A&F type evidences".




No, it isn't: it is a lie. The only person here who even thinks that "A&F" is possible is you.

That fact that people have pointed out that what you claim is evidence is at best very poor evidence, and often not evidence for the proposition you are arguing for, does not mean that they are demanding "A&F" evidence. Just good evidence.
As above.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #213
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Only dogs can hear the melody emanating from the world's smallest violin, yet it played all the same
We also tend to see quantum particles i. e beyond our sensing capacity.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #214
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Because you were lying.
I don't think lying is a virtue in Jainism
No. Face the fact.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #215
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post

As above.
I've formed the hypothesis that you toss a certain number of phrases & indistinct terms into a randomly-directed word processor; you post the same garbled things in slightly different phrasings over and over and over.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #216
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
We also tend to see quantum particles i. e beyond our sensing capacity.
We see them but are not able to sense them, eh?
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM   #217
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,720
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
You do not know, how much they harshed me by rejecting all the evidences by this and that excuse. Indirectly they took benefit of doubt due to non A&F nature of evidences of other side inspite of anticipating science is neither A&F nor it can ever be. Even on Jainism, they are behaving similarily inspite of fact that many links and justification, may be of some non A&F nature, are provided. It is irrational egoistic scepticism and odd preception. Selfish Interests, I can not say.
Who are "they?" You claim that everyone here has demanded of you some kind of "A&F" because they don't accept your nonsense as true?

If you say in inch is a mile, it does not require an absolute to tell you you're wrong.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #218
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,649
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Mine demand for A&F evidences is always rejected but always demanded A&F from me.

Link to posts where this has been done, or withdraw your accusation.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #219
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Who are "they?" You claim that everyone here has demanded of you some kind of "A&F" because they don't accept your nonsense as true?

If you say in inch is a mile, it does not require an absolute to tell you you're wrong.
No, those demands were A&F type demands. When you can not achieve destination and lose all hopes to achieve it, one inch or one mile behind, do not matter.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #220
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Link to posts where this has been done, or withdraw your accusation.
Either way, not practical. You should remember and accept it. Otherwise I shall anticipate, you are intentionally avoiding.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #221
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,979
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
We see them but are not able to sense them, eh?
You measure them by math or by big machines. It can be an indirect seeing them without direct sensing.
__________________
To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire. Let the things be A&F or die in themselves, if odd. Just Logical & Equanimious Discussions, No commitments.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.