ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:01 AM   #41
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
A vehicle suddenly stops in the road, perhaps across more than one lane. Perhaps a following/oncoming vehicle stops without colliding (or colliding only gently), perhaps not (maybe there's a patch of "black ice" or oil). Repeat. Just one inattentive human, or one vehicle with faulty brakes, or ... is enough to start a chain reaction, a.k.a. a pileup. Yes, an ideal AV would not crash into another vehicle (well, the black ice may be a rather severe test), or crash only gently; however, how could it avoid being hit by a vehicle being driven by a human, at high speed?

The AV will see the stopped car much farther out, and will begin breaking much sooner, and thus will likely not be breaking at its maximum rate. This means the human driver coming from behind will have a longer time to see the break lights and react by also breaking. This won't eliminate 100% of such crashes, but it will eliminate a large percentage, while reducing the severity of the remainder.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Good question. I've been ignoring that warning for the last 2 years And, no, the car could not drive itself off in 'down time', because that's 30 mins away and the diagnostics guy is seriously cranky and would leave the car till last in the face of actual human customers, and pretty soon 'down time' would be the middle of next week.

And then I open Horatius' All Robot Repair Shop, which doesn't play such games, and I dominate the market, because it no longer matters if I'm farther away from your house, since the Robocar will be the one wasting time getting to my shop.

What's an AV to do if its human passenger(s) are in trouble?

How much trouble is a taxi-driver in if they ignore obvious signs of distress?

Can an AV be sued for an almost certainly avoidable death due to a heart attack ("If only the AV had diverted to the ER, less than a minute away, instead of continuing on for another six hours to its set destination", sort of thing).
I expect that we'll some day have an emergency panic button in cars, that tells them to drive to the closest hospital/police station, or whatever. The car immediately becomes effectively an ambulance, with similar priority over other cars (probably communicated via some kind of ad-hoc intercar network). Once the button is pressed, it can only be overridden by an official like a police officer or ER doctor/attendant, and misuse has severe penalties.
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:17 PM   #42
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I expect that we'll some day have an emergency panic button in cars, that tells them to drive to the closest hospital/police station, or whatever. The car immediately becomes effectively an ambulance, with similar priority over other cars (probably communicated via some kind of ad-hoc intercar network). Once the button is pressed, it can only be overridden by an official like a police officer or ER doctor/attendant, and misuse has severe penalties.
I like that idea. It might be as simple as "get me out of here now!" command. A car should have some sort of input (such as a keyboard) so that if you leave home and then decide you need to go somewhere else you are not stuck in that car, even if it is not an emergency.
Old 5th April 2018, 11:20 AM   #43
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Same spot as the fatal crash.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ng-on-hwy-101/

Video Shows Tesla On Autopilot Nearly Crashing On Hwy 101

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2018, 11:46 AM   #44
jonesdave116
Master Poster

Automobile Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 01:05 AM   #45
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Same spot as the fatal crash.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ng-on-hwy-101/

Video Shows Tesla On Autopilot Nearly Crashing On Hwy 101
Summary. Poorly marked lane markings confused the computers. The lane markings were worn out. This is something computers will have to be taught how to live with.
Old 9th April 2018, 12:59 PM   #46
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Summary. Poorly marked lane markings confused the computers. The lane markings were worn out. This is something computers will have to be taught how to live with.
I had a similar near collision a few weeks ago. The highway near me had changed the lane layout, but the old markings were more visible in the late afternoon due to how the sun was shining off the remnants. A truck following the old lane markings nearly hit me while I was following the new ones. I locked up my brakes at 70 mph and she flipped me off completely unaware of the mistake she had made.

I agree that this is something computers drivers will have to be taught how to live with.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 05:10 AM   #47
Disbelief
Master Poster

Which highlights the limitations of vision only systems and not utilizing mapped data with lidar and radar.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 05:36 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The AV will see the stopped car much farther out, and will begin breaking much sooner, and thus will likely not be breaking at its maximum rate. This means the human driver coming from behind will have a longer time to see the break lights and react by also breaking. This won't eliminate 100% of such crashes, but it will eliminate a large percentage, while reducing the severity of the remainder.

And then I open Horatius' All Robot Repair Shop, which doesn't play such games, and I dominate the market, because it no longer matters if I'm farther away from your house, since the Robocar will be the one wasting time getting to my shop.

More likely connect to 999 services and they'll determine the appropriate response.
Old 10th April 2018, 11:37 AM   #49
baron
Philosopher

One of the big pluses for self-driving cars (AVs), eventually, is a dramatic reduction in deaths (etc)
I'm afraid your premise is wrong. We will never have self-driving cars in generic, fully autonomous use. By the time that technology is feasible, maybe in 50 - 100 years time, people will have come to their senses and realised autonomous air travel is the way forwards.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:22 PM   #50
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Anytime they have to interact with humans who aren't assisted by machines.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 12:27 PM   #51
TX50
Graduate Poster

But won't future robot cars be able to fly? Surely that'll be easier to control than trundling along on wheels.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 01:47 PM   #52
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Great! We've identified a problem, and can now work to correct it, which will improve the product in the future. This is what testing is for. This is the system working.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology