ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:20 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Massive deposits of multiple rare earth metals found on Japanese Island

I think that people aren't getting how much of a big deal this could potentially be.

Quote:
A small island in the Pacific Ocean is the site of a huge discovery that could change Japan's economic future. How huge? One economist called it a "game changer." The researchers who helped find it said it had "tremendous potential."

It's mud. A whole bunch of mud -- an estimated 16 million tons, to be exact. And in that mud, there are massive, "semi-infinite" stores of valuable rare earth minerals.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/asia/...rnd/index.html
Old 17th April 2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, a Kong reboot?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

From the island's Wikipedia article, the actual location of the mud is some 250km south of the island, but within the economic zone the island allows Japan to claim. It's also 5600 to 5800 meters under water, which may make mining slightly difficult.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
From the island's Wikipedia article, the actual location of the mud is some 250km south of the island, but within the economic zone the island allows Japan to claim. It's also 5600 to 5800 meters under water, which may make mining slightly difficult.
The idea of mining the bottom of the ocean is actually pretty old. It was even used as the cover story for Project Azorian, a CIA mission to salvage a sunken Soviet nuclear missile submarine way back in 1974.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 12:48 PM   #5
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, a Kong reboot?
I am wondering what monsters this could spawn....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 01:27 PM   #6
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think that people aren't getting how much of a big deal this could potentially be.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/asia/...rnd/index.html
It means that for the coltan used in cell phones, we're no longer dependent on Congolese war lords?

ETA: strike that, wrong metal(s).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 17th April 2018 at 01:29 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The idea of mining the bottom of the ocean is actually pretty old. It was even used as the cover story for Project Azorian, a CIA mission to salvage a sunken Soviet nuclear missile submarine way back in 1974.
Indeed. A company I worked for built most of the "mining" equipment, although before I got there. Some of the engineers had manganese nodules encased in plastic on their desks as mementos. They were well aware of what was really being "mined", as I learned when the story came out.
Old 17th April 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Given the potential financial gain we're talking and possibility of controlling such a vital resource right about the time we're probably getting close to another major computer/tech revolution... they'll find a way to get to it.
Old 17th April 2018, 02:13 PM   #9
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

This could knock the bottom out of the asteroid mining market
Old 17th April 2018, 02:17 PM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps it's Unobtainium?
Old 17th April 2018, 03:03 PM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. A company I worked for built most of the "mining" equipment, although before I got there. Some of the engineers had manganese nodules encased in plastic on their desks as mementos. They were well aware of what was really being "mined", as I learned when the story came out.
My BIL's Dad's was on walnut. Honeywell Marine Electronics did control systems.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 03:07 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

No big deal. Four vertical miles of pipe with a suction dredge venturi on the end.

Too bad they just recently scrapped the Glomar Explorer.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

How long before China declares historical rights and starts building an artificial island/mining base?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2018, 01:08 PM   #14
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Zilla God

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology