ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , belief in god , Leonardo Blair , mental health issues

Old 16th January 2020, 04:56 PM   #241
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which catholicism?
The Roman kind. That's why I said

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, I was indeed referring specifically to the Roman Catholic Church:

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 05:04 PM   #242
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And as was mentioned there are definitely still chrisitan denominations that share his theology, you even mentioned one yourself.
Yes, and then I contrasted it to the Roman Catholic Church. I'd still like to know whether the Roman Catholic Church considers Tertullian to still be an accurate representation of the current state of moral theology.

Because, you know. There are more members of the Roman Catholic Church than there are of all other Christian churches combined. So it'd be a useful thing to know. If the Roman Catholic Church doesn't consider Tertullian to be an accurate representation of the current state of moral theology, how many churches do, and what proportion of the Christian population does that represent?

Because you wouldn't want to draw broad-stroke generalisations about the whole of Christianity from a tiny minority of examples, would you? Let's make sure that the minority is at least not tiny.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 12:32 AM   #243
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yes, and then I contrasted it to the Roman Catholic Church. I'd still like to know whether the Roman Catholic Church considers Tertullian to still be an accurate representation of the current state of moral theology.

Because, you know. There are more members of the Roman Catholic Church than there are of all other Christian churches combined. So it'd be a useful thing to know. If the Roman Catholic Church doesn't consider Tertullian to be an accurate representation of the current state of moral theology, how many churches do, and what proportion of the Christian population does that represent?

Because you wouldn't want to draw broad-stroke generalisations about the whole of Christianity from a tiny minority of examples, would you? Let's make sure that the minority is at least not tiny.
It was you making the broad generalisation, to prove there are white crows one only has to show one white crow.
Old 19th January 2020, 10:22 PM   #244
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It was you making the broad generalisation, to prove there are white crows one only has to show one white crow.
I wasn't asking for a white crow, I was asking whether the Roman Catholic Church still considers Tertullian to be an accurate representation of modern moral theology, a question that I still have not had answered. Showing me that something that isn't the Roman Catholic Church does is irrelevant to my question.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th January 2020, 02:10 AM   #245
Ulf Nereng
Student

It's been a long time since I visited the Catholic Encyclopedia but I thought it might be interesting to see if it mentions Tertullian in relation to Hell. And it does, but only in passing. The passage on Hell can be found here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

I found it interesting and disturbing.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 10:18 AM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I wasn't asking for a white crow, I was asking whether the Roman Catholic Church still considers Tertullian to be an accurate representation of modern moral theology, a question that I still have not had answered. Showing me that something that isn't the Roman Catholic Church does is irrelevant to my question.
What a limited answer you want.
Old 20th January 2020, 07:39 PM   #247
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What a limited answer you want.
To a limited question, yes. I assume that you do not have an answer to it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 21st January 2020, 03:48 PM   #248
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
It's been a long time since I visited the Catholic Encyclopedia but I thought it might be interesting to see if it mentions Tertullian in relation to Hell. And it does, but only in passing. The passage on Hell can be found here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

I found it interesting and disturbing.

Yes indeed!

An amazing amount written about a fictitious place. The Catholics have been working overtime on the subject of the destination of eternal souls after earthly death. Limbo (since shut down), purgatory, hell, and heaven. How to massage them into something more credible is the challenge.
Old 21st January 2020, 03:52 PM   #249
Thor 2
Philosopher

To a limited question, yes. I assume that you do not have an answer to it.

Still waiting for your thesis about "current doctrine of morality" in the Catholic Church arth. Ulf has given us a link to some pertinent material ^.
Old 21st January 2020, 06:02 PM   #250
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Still waiting for your thesis about "current doctrine of morality" in the Catholic Church arth. Ulf has given us a link to some pertinent material ^.
Indeed, and now that I have had time to peruse it, I notice that it says absolutely nothing about Tertullian's suggestion that the righteous feel joy for witnessing the torment of sinners.

Therefore I will conclude that Tertullian's passage does not represent the contemporary moral theology of a majority of Christians - specifically, Roman Catholics. It is possible, even probable, that there are smaller churches which do still hold this theological perspective, but they do not represent a majority of Christians.

Thank you for your patience.

- Randall Munroe
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:06 AM   #251
sackett
Philosopher

And you & I & all of Goddamn's children know that for a lot of chrrrrristians part of heaven's joys is still being able to gloat over the frying of the sinners next door (and a little downslope) in hell. 'Twas ever thus, and why do you hate human nature?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 02:41 PM   #252
Thor 2
Philosopher

Indeed, and now that I have had time to peruse it, I notice that it says absolutely nothing about Tertullian's suggestion that the righteous feel joy for witnessing the torment of sinners.

Therefore I will conclude that Tertullian's passage does not represent the contemporary moral theology of a majority of Christians - specifically, Roman Catholics. It is possible, even probable, that there are smaller churches which do still hold this theological perspective, but they do not represent a majority of Christians.

Thank you for your patience.

Non the less Tertullian has been called "the father of Latin Christianity". (ie The RCC.) and although he didn't get to be a saint (because of squabbles with others about "subordination of the Son and Spirit to the Father" and other heady stuff) it would be reasonable to assume his ideas would have some weight.
Old 22nd January 2020, 05:54 PM   #253
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Non the less Tertullian has been called "the father of Latin Christianity". (ie The RCC.) and although he didn't get to be a saint (because of squabbles with others about "subordination of the Son and Spirit to the Father" and other heady stuff) it would be reasonable to assume his ideas would have some weight.
Sure, but Tertullian wrote a whole lot of stuff in addition to the short excerpt you posted. Should every word carry equal weight?

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:40 PM   #254
Thor 2
Philosopher

Sure, but Tertullian wrote a whole lot of stuff in addition to the short excerpt you posted. Should every word carry equal weight?

Now did I say that?

You are the one implying that some things written by Tertullian may not be part of the "current doctrine of morality", and I am giving weight to the argument that his ideas are respected by many of the faithful. Don't know how to weigh each idea for comparison with each other ...... you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy