ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:37 PM   #761
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Have you read the thread?
I have. My belief (which may differ from yours) is that the guy with better and more expensive lawyers prevailed.
Old 9th December 2019, 03:17 PM   #762
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I have. My belief (which may differ from yours) is that the guy with better and more expensive lawyers prevailed.
What do you base that belief on?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 10:20 AM   #763
Bob001
Philosopher

Second rescue diver dies.
Quote:
Another Tham Luang hero lost his life on Friday when PO First Class Beirut Pakbara died from a rare blood infection the Royal Thai Navy said he contracted as a result of the high-profile cave rescue mission last year.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-dies#cxrecs_s
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 06:39 AM   #764
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
In light of the whole "Devin Nunes suing everyone that calls him a dork on Twitter" narrative, I've been thinking a bit about the role defamation suits should play in our society.

As much as I personally dislike Musk and would like bad things to happen to him, I don't think this dispute is an appropriate use of our court system.

Musk ran his mouth and called the diver a pedo without a shred of evidence. Even granting that, I'm not sure getting sued should be the response. I'm not convinced that the slur actually caused any harm. Did anyone actually believe Musk?

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not commenting on the viability of an appeal, but rather just on whether suing ought to be the response here.

The diver had pretty much the whole world on his side, being a hero and all that. The best response would have been to relentlessly mock Musk as a rich crybaby.
Old 30th December 2019, 09:09 AM   #765
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Did anyone actually believe Musk?
This line makes it pretty clear that you've never interacted with Musk fans on twitter. They're a strange breed, and a decent amount of them absolutely believed him.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 03:08 PM   #766
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not commenting on the viability of an appeal, but rather just on whether suing ought to be the response here.

The diver had pretty much the whole world on his side, being a hero and all that. The best response would have been to relentlessly mock Musk as a rich crybaby.
Suing is pretty much the only thing someone can do when he feels injured in a non-criminal matter. Musk could have made the whole thing go away by just apologizing. He could even have said that "pedo" was just a meaningless childhood taunt, and he regretted that it had been misinterpreted. Instead, he doubled down and even hired detectives (or tried to) to investigate the diver. I'm sorry the diver lost. I think with better lawyers he might have won. And it might have been possible for him to sue in the UK or Thailand instead of California.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 02:45 PM   #767
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Suing is pretty much the only thing someone can do when he feels injured in a non-criminal matter. Musk could have made the whole thing go away by just apologizing. He could even have said that "pedo" was just a meaningless childhood taunt, and he regretted that it had been misinterpreted. Instead, he doubled down and even hired detectives (or tried to) to investigate the diver. I'm sorry the diver lost. I think with better lawyers he might have won. And it might have been possible for him to sue in the UK or Thailand instead of California.
The highlighted suggests that it wasn't intended to be taken as a meaningless insult but as an allegation.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 09:52 PM   #768
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The highlighted suggests that it wasn't intended to be taken as a meaningless insult but as an allegation.
And that's why the diver was right to sue.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events