ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:47 AM   #161
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Can we get these into a single thread like with the school shootings one? I had no issues at first, but these are getting a little spammy at this point. It's pretty much an every day thing.

Sad and scary...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:11 AM   #162
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Oh sure. But if the kid taped the gun to a banana, it would be art.

Ceci n'est pas une banane.
Old 10th December 2019, 09:28 AM   #163
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Ceci n'est pas une banane.
Mais ne sommes-nous pas tous la banane?

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:37 AM   #164
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Police: Munster, Indiana teen arrested after social media threat against high school

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...zrq-story.html
I guess this kids' parents can't afford to move to Florida?
Old 10th December 2019, 11:00 AM   #165
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Can we get these into a single thread like with the school shootings one? I had no issues at first, but these are getting a little spammy at this point. It's pretty much an every day thing.
We don't have a school shootings thread. We have a mass shooting thread which also includes school shootings.

But all of these threads that I have been starting are about planned or threats of mass killing without anything actually happening. They are discovered and stopped. That kind of thing doesn't really belong in the thread on mass shootings.

My threads aren't actually only to be about planned mass school killings. They are about pre-adults (under 18 yo) who plan or talk about mass killing in any context. It doesn't have to be a school, but killings at school seem to dominate their plans or desires.

I'd be willing to do a single thread for all of these but only if it meets my criteria.

1) Pre-adult.
2) Mass killing plan or idea - discovered or stopped before being actualized. Law enforcement involved.
3) Method of killing not limited to shooting.
4) Any planned location or context.
Old 10th December 2019, 12:26 PM   #166
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I started a thread last month called Today's Mass Shooting Threat, anticipating this situation. Of course it's open for people to use for these incidents and discuss these things.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 12:33 PM   #167
Checkmite

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
At least the last couple of threads have been about threats rather than accomplished spree killings. Progress?
You know - maybe? I think so. Now that "just a prank bro" isn't a defense, police seem to be actively investigating all such threats and if things are found that suggest an actual plan instead of a joke, they proceed from there.

There have been a few of these threats that have turned up evidence of an actual intent. In light of that I think it's probably the case that by reacting to the threats, they have certainly prevented some school shootings - at least the ones where the perpetrators felt free to coyly drop "hints" and "jokes" about their plans ahead of time, believing they wouldn't be taken seriously.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 12:47 PM   #168
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I started a thread last month called Today's Mass Shooting Threat, anticipating this situation. Of course it's open for people to use for these incidents and discuss these things.
I know about that thread. I didn't use it because to me it doesn't look like it's meant for all such threats in the future. You didn't state that that is the purpose of the thread.

It also wouldn't include the young girl planning to massacre the church because she planned to use knives instead of shooting.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:31 PM   #169
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Who's "they"?

ETA:

Apparently a middle school student and her parent saw the threat on social media and they chose to alert the police rather than social services.
So the police and social services in the US don't coordinate?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 03:01 PM   #170
plague311
Great minds think...

We don't have a school shootings thread. We have a mass shooting thread which also includes school shootings.

But all of these threads that I have been starting are about planned or threats of mass killing without anything actually happening. They are discovered and stopped. That kind of thing doesn't really belong in the thread on mass shootings.

My threads aren't actually only to be about planned mass school killings. They are about pre-adults (under 18 yo) who plan or talk about mass killing in any context. It doesn't have to be a school, but killings at school seem to dominate their plans or desires.

I'd be willing to do a single thread for all of these but only if it meets my criteria.

1) Pre-adult.
2) Mass killing plan or idea - discovered or stopped before being actualized. Law enforcement involved.
3) Method of killing not limited to shooting.
4) Any planned location or context.
...I don't really care about your criteria, at all. By your own statement, aside from the nitpicking at the beginning, these all have the same theme. They're throw away threads which is why none of them get beyond a few pages. Combine them together like the mass shooting thread (better?), and everyone can post in there. By the sounds of it, Check has already done that. Getting 2-3 of these a day\week is obnoxious. Your point has been made. Kids are thinking\dreaming\contemplating shooting people\schools\locations. Great, condense it and get rid of the spam.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 03:05 PM   #171
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

plague311, I don't really care about your criteria, at all.
Old 10th December 2019, 03:18 PM   #172
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wisconsin teen girls arrest for mass school bomb threat

2 teens arrested following bomb threat to Marshfield High School

Originally Posted by WSAW
Marshfield Wisconsin Police say they’ve arrested two 17-year-old girls following a school threat.

Police say the teens were arrested for making terroristic threats after a joint Marshfield Police and Marshfield School District investigation showed they had written such threats in the bathroom at Marshfield High School. Police said Monday, there would be additional officers at Marshfield High School in the coming days after a bomb threat.

Charges will be forwarded to Wood County District Attorney for prosecution...
https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Bo...565999821.html
Old 10th December 2019, 04:52 PM   #173
Checkmite

I know about that thread. I didn't use it because to me it doesn't look like it's meant for all such threats in the future. You didn't state that that is the purpose of the thread.
That's fair enough; feel free to consider my previous post the necessary statement.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:08 PM   #174
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
So the police and social services in the US don't coordinate?
I imagine that's where it may all end up in the end. I don't think they will throw a 12-year-old girl in prison.

These stories get reported in the news when they first break but people rarely ever follow up on them and explain what happens later.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:12 PM   #175
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
These stories get reported in the news when they first break but people rarely ever follow up on them and explain what happens later.
Is that at least partly because these are juveniles?
Old 10th December 2019, 06:18 PM   #176
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Is that at least partly because these are juveniles?
Probably. The kid will not be identified in the press, although people at the same school likely know who it is.

But I am curious about how it will be handled and what exactly the consequences will be. I don't care about the kid's name. I don't need to know that information.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events