ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Apathia
Philosopher

It Doesn't Take Much, Does It? Mysterious lights over Mesa

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...NdzURxd_GgWFrA

I'm not puzzled.

Mod InfoThe link leads to a local news story titled, "Mysterious lights hovering over Mesa skies Sunday night puzzle residents."
Posted By:Loss Leader

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Loss Leader; 13th December 2019 at 05:16 AM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 05:28 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Please don't force your fellow ISF members to open a link just to find out the topic of a thread. Thank you.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:44 PM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Please don't force your fellow ISF members to open a link just to find out the topic of a thread. Thank you.
There is a minimal headline description in the original link if you hover over it which doesn't show up in the post.

But yes, a clue to what the story is about outside of that would be nice.
Old 11th December 2019, 12:52 AM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like a military exercise in which they were dropping flares. I've been involved in a few of those in my time in the military

Next!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 01:46 AM   #5
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There is a minimal headline description in the original link if you hover over it which doesn't show up in the post.
You don't get the benefit of that on a mobile device without a mouse.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 05:36 AM   #6
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Try this one weird trick for opening threads, discovered by a mom in [your ISP's town]! Skepticologists hate her!

These days, "lights in the sky doing something odd" are usually drones. This particular description does sound more like dropping flares though.
Old 11th December 2019, 06:16 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
It takes more than you've put into this OP, apparently.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 06:18 AM   #8
Apathia
Philosopher

Post deleted for being off topic.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 11th December 2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Off topic.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 06:27 AM   #9
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It takes more than you've put into this OP, apparently.
I can't but agree. I have reported myself.

Author Unknown
Old 11th December 2019, 06:46 AM   #10
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Looks like a military exercise in which they were dropping flares. I've been involved in a few of those in my time in the military

Next!
So, a UFO story then?

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

But yes, a clue to what the story is about outside of that would be nice.
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
You don't get the benefit of that on a mobile device without a mouse.
I don't even get it on my PC.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 07:01 AM   #11
Apathia
Philosopher

Apologies to all for my breach of forum etiquette. The angel on my left shoulder told me I should indicate the content, but I went with the devil on my right.

In truth there is nothing to see here. It's easily a candle lantern someone set aloft that began to break apart. It's so easy these days to find space aliens.
It was local news for me. or loco news.

Author Unknown
Old 11th December 2019, 08:23 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

"Mysterious lights hovering over mesa skies puzzles (sic) residents" is the hover-over text, for those just dying to know.

I'm guessing a giant squid blimp / gay rodeo promotion.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 08:27 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

Apologies to all for my breach of forum etiquette. The angel on my left shoulder told me I should indicate the content, but I went with the devil on my right.
Tell me his name and ID number. He'll get an earful at the next staff meeting.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 11th December 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 09:34 AM   #14
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Tell me his name and ID number. He'll get an earful at the nest staff meeting.
Battery Pus, Pandemonium#H397y3633(FVL)4732947. I suspect he's the one who put on the light show.

Author Unknown
Old 11th December 2019, 09:37 AM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Tell me his name and ID number. He'll get an earful at the nest staff meeting.
I knew that my thermostat was out to get me.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 09:37 AM   #16
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
"Mysterious lights hovering over mesa skies puzzles (sic) residents" is the hover-over text, for those just dying to know.

I'm guessing a giant squid blimp / gay rodeo promotion.
Skyline High School (behind my house) had a recreational balloon last year.
No surprise there were rumors in the neighborhood of a UFO.

Author Unknown
Old 11th December 2019, 10:15 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Battery Pus, Pandemonium#H397y3633(FVL)4732947. I suspect he's the one who put on the light show.
Pandemonium? ****, he's even in the capital?

I'll deal with this one personally.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 04:11 PM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Another vote for a candle balloon 'flying lantern thingy.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 03:45 PM   #19
Apathia
Philosopher

Somebody wanted a UFO thread.
Well, this is the most recent and most useless.
You wanted to know why we don't have UFO threads anymore?
This is why!

Author Unknown
Old 1st January 2020, 02:39 PM   #20
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Another vote for a candle balloon 'flying lantern thingy.
Dangerous bloody things, too.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal