ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:12 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Active shooting in Jersey City, New Jersey

Cops have been shot. Maybe multiple shooters. Ongoing. CNN...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/act...e399efb0008000
Old 10th December 2019, 01:15 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: At least one shooter "neutralized" inside a bodega.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

My eldest son and his fiancée live in Jersey City. They are both at work and safe, but it's scary to hear.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:52 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: At least one cop is dead.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:56 PM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail: Shooters are a male and female with long guns. Two hour shootout. Started in a cemetery and ended in a bodega.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:02 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No reports of any civilians being shot or injured. It may be that police are the only target for the shooters.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:08 PM   #7
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
My eldest son and his fiancée live in Jersey City. They are both at work and safe, but it's scary to hear.
I'm outright terrified by the fact that they live there.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:18 PM   #8
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
6 confirmed dead in Jersey City mass shooting, including 3 civilians, 1 police officer, and 2 suspects

Reports say that police forces are currently dealing with a pipe bomb in the area
https://twitter.com/FarukFirat1987/s...893699584?s=20

Scary. It is just never ending.
Old 10th December 2019, 02:33 PM   #9
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Early report has the shooting arising during a homicide investigation.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:15 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail now says that both shooters were male.
Old 11th December 2019, 08:54 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New York Times: Jersey City Mayor says that videotape shows that the Jewish Kosher market (bodega) was targeted. Also a shooter posted anti-Semitic and anti-Police things. Also the cop that was killed was deliberately ambushed at the cemetery scene.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:13 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Jews and police were both targeted and killed. Would this be white supremacy or Nazi, or what?
Old 11th December 2019, 09:27 AM   #13
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Jews and police were both targeted and killed. Would this be white supremacy or Nazi, or what?
I'm waiting for more information about the shooters. Sadly, it's not just white supremacists and NAZIs that target Jews and cops.

Could well be members of other radical groups motivated by racial, religious, or political hatred.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 09:28 AM   #14
Donal
Illuminator

Looks like one of them was into the Black Israelites. They are a bunch of street preachers who go around shouting about how the Jews we see today aren't "real" Jews and other nutty conspiracy theories. While they do say some pretty disgusting things, I haven't come across them advocating actual violent attacks.

Then again, whenever I see them, they are freaking out tourists in Times Square with a cop 5 feet away.

Looks like both the FBI and SPLC equate them to white supremacist hate groups, but neither believe the group itself advocates violence.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:32 AM   #15
Thermal
Philosopher

Doesn't this one belong in Today's Mass Shooting?

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 09:47 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Daily Mail is back to saying male and female shooters.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
The assailants were named as Francine Graham and David Anderson by NBC on Wednesday.

According to police sources, Anderson was a one time follower of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement whose members believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites.

Inside the U-Haul he and Graham were driving was a note containing religious writings but it is unclear what it said. Anderson had also posted anti-Semitic and anti-police sentiments on social media. Police are yet to confirm the pair's motive for the attack.

After shooting dead Detective Joseph Seals, the pair drove slowly in a stolen U-Haul van to the JC Kosher Supermarket where they parked their van then calmly emerged with guns pointed at the store before opening fire. Two cops who happened to be walking nearby then ran to the store and exchanged fire, prompting the shooters to barricade themselves inside.

Police are refusing to release any details about the shooters. However they said they had a large amount of ammunition which suggested they would have carried on shooting had they not been cornered into the store by police.

The stand-off ended when cops rammed the storefront. Once inside, they found Anderson and Graham dead from gunshot wounds along with three victims; Leah Mindel Ferencz, 33, who was married to the JC Kosher Supermarket's owner, Moshe Hirsch Deutsch, 24, from Brooklyn, and a third, as yet unidentified victim...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cials-say.html
Old 11th December 2019, 10:49 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Suspects linked to Black Hebrew Isrealite movement. This story is about to get real weird.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:00 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This looks like terrorism.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:18 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's already there; this thread wasn't needed.
The dead officer appears to have been in charge of getting guns off the street.

ETA: My mistake, this thread predates the first mention in the Mass Shooting thread. Although I still think this one wasn't needed.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 11th December 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 11:33 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Black Israelite, apparently.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 11:34 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Suspects linked to Black Hebrew Isrealite movement. This story is about to get real weird.
This story is about to completely drop off the mainstream media's radar, you mean.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 11:37 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's already there; this thread wasn't needed.
The dead officer appears to have been in charge of getting guns off the street.

ETA: My mistake, this thread predates the first mention in the Mass Shooting thread. Although I still think this one wasn't needed.
It should probably be merged into the Massive Wave thread.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:46 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I started this thread when the event was very fresh breaking news. It wasn't clear that it was going to be a mass shooting even though the headline said active shooter. It could have been a robbery gone bad, or whatever. So I was firmly justified in not putting it in that thread.

But putting all that aside, there is still nothing wrong with having it as a standalone thread even though it is a mass shooting. If you look around you will see a variety of standalone mass shooting threads that aren't in the compilation thread.

Compilation threads are partly good and partly bad.
Old 11th December 2019, 01:38 PM   #24
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This story is about to completely drop off the mainstream media's radar, you mean.
What?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 02:01 PM   #25
Donal
Illuminator

He means shootings are so common, even the the ones that can be labeled domestic terrorism, are so frequent, the media just moves on the to the next one within a week.
Old 11th December 2019, 02:40 PM   #26
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
He means shootings are so common, even the the ones that can be labeled domestic terrorism, are so frequent, the media just moves on the to the next one within a week.

He probably means that the shooter is the wrong race or belongs to the wrong group to garner headlines for long.
Old 11th December 2019, 04:27 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Black Hebrews are real weird. They make the Farrakhan and his Nation Of Islam look like moderates.
Just more proof that dangerous bigots come in all races, colors and creeds.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th December 2019 at 04:32 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 04:31 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
What?
I think the implication is that because the apparent shooters were members of a wackjob Black group the media will ignore it.

More right wing garbage in other words.

And if anybody does try to cut the shooters some slack because they were black I will be the first to rip into them bigtime.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th December 2019 at 04:35 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 04:34 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This looks like terrorism.
Certianly looks that way.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th December 2019, 05:00 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You do have a few idiots on the internet who are trying to whitewash the Black Israelites .

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th December 2019, 05:05 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You do have a few idiots on the internet who are trying to whitewash the Black Israelites .
What?
Old 11th December 2019, 05:19 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What?
A few people saying the Black Isrealites are a misunderstood group, are non violent, and no way a member would commit such an act of violence. One clamis he is a professor on the thread on the topic at the WAPO.
That the BLack Israelities have been spouting Anti Semitism for years seems to have passed them by.
Irony is the garbage the BLack Isrealities spout is a lot like that the White Supremist Identity Christians spout..only difference being exactly which group the Jews swiped their identity from.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th December 2019, 05:35 PM   #33
Mumbles
Philosopher

A few people saying the Black Isrealites are a misunderstood group, are non violent, and no way a member would commit such an act of violence. One clamis he is a professor on the thread on the topic at the WAPO.
That the BLack Israelities have been spouting Anti Semitism for years seems to have passed them by.
Irony is the garbage the BLack Isrealities spout is a lot like that the White Supremist Identity Christians spout..only difference being exactly which group the Jews swiped their identity from.
To be fair, they are almost always nonviolent - and some sects are actually unconcerned with hatred. The ones you usually see on street corners, though, hate just about everyone but themselves. But they're rarely not the type to commit mass shootings, as much as they'll shout the ugliest crap at whoever walks by.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 07:21 PM   #34
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I think the implication is that because the apparent shooters were members of a wackjob Black group the media will ignore it.

And if anybody does try to cut the shooters some slack because they were black I will be the first to rip into them bigtime.
It looks like extremist religion to me. Seems to affect people of all colours to me.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 05:24 AM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Yeah, file this under "white supremacy is a hoax".

You see, there's a vast media conspiracy to exaggerate the danger of white nationalist terrorists, and to downplay the crimes committed by black people, because reasons.

For example, why are we talking about Dylan Roof massacring people in a church when there are drive by shootings in Chicago every weekend. FACTS AND LOGIC.
Old 12th December 2019, 12:15 PM   #36
autumn1971
Illuminator

You mean that my right-wing Facebook friends are going to say that the mainstream media won’t mention it.

With a link to the story from ABC or CNN.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 12:30 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
To be fair, they are almost always nonviolent - and some sects are actually unconcerned with hatred. The ones you usually see on street corners, though, hate just about everyone but themselves. But they're rarely not the type to commit mass shootings, as much as they'll shout the ugliest crap at whoever walks by.

You know you can say the same thing about a lot of white supremist groups?
They preach hate, but seldom pull the trigger themselved. That does not mean they should not be condemned.
I am not going to cut a hate group any slack as far as verbal condemnation goes, I don't care what race it is.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th December 2019, 12:36 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It looks like extremist religion to me. Seems to affect people of all colours to me.
But this specific extremist group point is that Blacks are the true Jews...God Chosen People...and the current Jews are Devils who stole the True Jews identity.
Comparable to the Nation Of Islam.
Yes, there are BLack Supremists groups out there,and they need to be condemned just as much as White Surpemists.
I don't cut bigots of any kind much slack.
I don't know why some people have problems accepting that all races are equally screwed up. I think what happened in Rwanda shows that Blacks are just as capable of Genocide as whites.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th December 2019, 12:38 PM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, file this under "white supremacy is a hoax".

You see, there's a vast media conspiracy to exaggerate the danger of white nationalist terrorists, and to downplay the crimes committed by black people, because reasons.

For example, why are we talking about Dylan Roof massacring people in a church when there are drive by shootings in Chicago every weekend. FACTS AND LOGIC.
I agree, but I am seeing some pretty stupid excuse making for the BLack Isrealites out there.
Me, I condemn all bigots, regardless of race color or creed.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th December 2019, 12:40 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

New Jersey officials have officially said Anti Semitism is the main motive for the attacks.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events