ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Greece incidents , Greece issues

Reply
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:44 AM   #161
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Whataboutism noted. I liked how you added a bizarre claim to make it even more likely to derail the discussion.

Anything to further the revolution, I suppose.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:19 PM   #162
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
One squat just to the south of Exarchia is being evicted. We're now at 19.5[*]/23 in Exarchia and 23/26 in the surroundings.

[*] The reoccupation of Spirou Trikoupi 17 a couple of days ago was symbolic, it hasn't actually been taken back into use, so I'll count that as 0.5.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:40 AM   #163
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
A couple of days ago several weapons have been seized from the naval base at Leros which, according to the government, could be traced to Exarchia although no results were achieved from several house searches in the neighbourhood. In particular it concerns two anti-tank rocket launchers with ammunition as well as anti-personnel mines.

In the meantime a new group called "Comrades for the Diffusion of Exarchia" has taken responsibility for a range of simultaneous attacks on various banks and New Democracy offices all over Athens.

Note: These two things probably aren't related, just didn't want to make separate posts for each.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #164
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
The cops are whining that nobody wants to sell them coffee in Exarchia
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 10:08 PM   #165
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
One month into the occupation and almost three months after the government pompously declared it would "end" Exarchia within the month, Exarchia remains standing

42 out of 49 squats remain, while 7 buildings have been evicted and returned to abandoned status. Oh and should anyone in this thread ever manage to come up with an actual argument as to why these buildings must remain abandoned and the migrants who lived in them must be locked up in camps, then feel free to present such argument.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 25th September 2019 at 10:13 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:39 AM   #166
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
The buildings probably have to be cleaned up to meet basic standards for human habitation. The owners would probably love to rent them out.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 06:14 AM   #167
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The buildings probably have to be cleaned up to meet basic standards for human habitation. The owners would probably love to rent them out.
They're not for habitation, we're talking old abandoned schools and things like that. There are no plans for them, and indeed the buildings are being blocked off by building walls over the entrances after eviction. Which you would've known had you paid attention to the thread and the sources which were provided. Thank you, try again, this time accounting for the information already in the thread.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 26th September 2019 at 06:29 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 10:16 AM   #168
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
They are not for habitation? Then stopping people from inhabiting them seems to make sense. How do you know there are no plans for them? It's kind of tough to develop a building with squatters in it.

The information in this thread is mostly your very biased and not credible "reports".
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:36 AM   #169
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
They are not for habitation? Then stopping people from inhabiting them seems to make sense.
Yet the camps, let alone the streets, are much less fit for habitation, therefor concern for the habitation quality is clearly not the motivation. You lot really are so simplistically easy to debunk.

Quote:
How do you know there are no plans for them? It's kind of tough to develop a building with squatters in it.
It's also kind of tough to develop a building that's been walled shut.

Quote:
The information in this thread is mostly your very biased and not credible "reports".
"Any information I don't like is biased and not credible!"
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th September 2019 at 07:59 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:29 PM   #170
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
All you have are insults now?
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 09:21 PM   #171
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
All you have are insults now?
They're not insults but observations.

You lost the game when you arbitrarily declared the information you were provided with as "biased and not credible" without any basis in fact for those claims. Indeed, to the contrary, it has been the information coming from the Greek government - and its promoters such as GlennB - which has been shown again and again to be biased or outright false (claims of drugs yet no drugs ever being found, claims that the Greek camps are like really nice hotels, a letter by purported residents alleging the existence of a secret government conspiracy to bring the illegals into the neighbourhood, etc).

If you were actually analyzing your information sources for bias and lack of credibility you'd be rejecting the government sources (as their claims have been debunked again and again) and accepting the anti-government sources (as their claims have been verified again and again). But that's not what you're doing, you're just using your claims of "bias and lack of credibility" as a way to handwave away information you don't like.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th September 2019 at 08:01 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 05:16 AM   #172
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Shots were fired at a MAT checkpoint in Exarchia last night.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 08:20 AM   #173
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 15,818
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Shots were fired at a MAT checkpoint in Exarchia last night.

Has anyone asserted property rights over the bullets?
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #174
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,729
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Shots were fired at a MAT checkpoint in Exarchia last night.
Fairly typical "revolutionary" rhetoric - 5 shots fired at authorities w/o casualties and it's a win for the insurrection!

More folks in search for a heroic identity.
__________________
Music is what feelings sound like

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:46 AM   #175
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
One month into the occupation and almost three months after the government pompously declared it would "end" Exarchia within the month, Exarchia remains standing
As I said, if the situation is that bad, I applaud the police finally taking action. You can't have citizens or neighbourhoods just deciding that the law shouldn't apply to them.

Quote:
Oh and should anyone in this thread ever manage to come up with an actual argument as to why these buildings must remain abandoned and the migrants who lived in them must be locked up in camps, then feel free to present such argument.
That's two strawmen in one paragraph. No one says they have to remain abandoned. Evicting squatters enables the owners, or potential buyers or urban developers, to put them to actual use, or demolish them and use the lots for new developments.

Also, there is the basic idea that modern cities shouldn't have zones where the law is unenforceable, or that are dominated by illegal squatters. The latter has a tendency to lead to vandalism, drug use, vigilantism, and gang activity, and a disrespect for law enforcement.

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
They're not for habitation, we're talking old abandoned schools and things like that.
Thank you for admitting this.

Quote:
There are no plans for them, and indeed the buildings are being blocked off by building walls over the entrances after eviction.
You don't suppose this might have something to do with the fact that squatters would otherwise instantly return to the buildings?

Quote:
Which you would've known had you paid attention to the thread and the sources which were provided.
As others have pointed out, you mostly link to Facebook communities and blogs of dubious quality.

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yet the camps, let alone the streets, are much less fit for habitation.
Even if we accept this (if), refugees aren't the only squatters in Exarchia, are they.

Quote:
"Any information I don't like is biased and not credible!"
Or "information from obviously politically motivated sites, which often or always fail to cite proper sources, and which often are written by anonymous authors are biased and not credible". Nothing arbitrary about that. You will find that this is how people on this site analyse all sources, not just the ones that advocate for edgy anarchists in Exarchia.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:18 PM   #176
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Greece
State: "We're going to evict all the squats to throw migrants into camps."
Leftists: "We're going to smash up your consulates all over the world as well your party offices."
State: *calculates...* "Well maybe just a couple of squats then."

State: "We're going to firebomb a squat."
Leftists: "We're going to give you generalized insurrection."
State: *calculates...* "Hmmm maybe just not yet."

State: "We're going to firebomb a neighbourhood."
Lefists: "How about getting to experience that nice titillating experience of having to run for your lives from your palaces?"
State: *quickly calculates...* "Yeah maybe better not do that."
Yes, I get that's really edgy and exciting and all. The problem arises when you're no longer the dominant force in this anarchist paradise of yours, and the police is powerless to deal with said dominant force, and it disagrees strongly with your worldview.

State: we're going to legalize gay marriage .
Facists: how cute. We're going to smash windows, beat up politicians, radicalise the youth, and march in the streets burning cars and throwing cobblestones.
State: on second thought...

State: we have a refugee crisis on our hands, so we'll be building some facilities for housing the refugees we're taking in.
Facists: better give them police protection 24/7, because we intend to burn them all down.

Etc.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 04:34 PM   #177
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 46,544
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Fairly typical "revolutionary" rhetoric - 5 shots fired at authorities w/o casualties and it's a win for the insurrection!

More folks in search for a heroic identity.
Dammit, if you are going to start a revolution you need to have some halfway decent shots on your side...
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:05 AM   #178
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Or "information from obviously politically motivated sites, which often or always fail to cite proper sources, and which often are written by anonymous authors are biased and not credible". Nothing arbitrary about that. You will find that this is how people on this site analyse all sources, not just the ones that advocate for edgy anarchists in Exarchia.
I don't care how people on this site analyse sources, as if people on this site are some sort of authority on this, most people on this site are idiots who just tag along because they think the whole skepticism thing is a cool badge to wear. The correct way to do it, if you have one set of sources claiming one thing and another set of sources claiming another, is to check which turns out to be correct and which doesn't. In this case there have been plenty of instances in which my sources disagree with GlennB's sources, for example:

My sources (the squat collectives) claimed that they had a strict no-drug policy, government sources claimed that the squats were drug havens. Result: no drugs were found in any of the squats.

My source (the migrant collective that got evicted) claimed they were taken to camps, government sources claimed that they were taken to nice hotels. Result: they were taken to camps.

My source (the migrant collective that got evicted) claimed that they were brutalized by the cops during eviction, the government sources claimed that the cops were gentle during eviction. Result: they were brutalized by the cops during eviction.

My sources (again the squatting collectives) claimed that the children went to school in Exarchia, government sources claimed that refugees were holed up without children getting education. Result: they went to school in Exarchia and will lack education in the camps.

and so on and so forth.

It is you (plural, also Wolrab et al) who is arbitrarily rejecting sources out of political motivation (anti-anarchism is a political motivation). Furthermore, my sources have almost always been cited, in particular my sources consisted of the people involved (social media accounts of the migrant collectives that were evicted etc). The only time when sources were anonymous is reports on things like firing shots at the MAT forces. But what did you expect here, that the people claiming to have done this are going to include their names and addresses?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:15 AM   #179
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I don't care how people on this site analyse sources
No, you seem to just have decided we throw them out arbitrarily if they disagree with us.

Quote:
The correct way to do it, if you have one set of sources claiming one thing and another set of sources claiming another, is to check which turns out to be correct and which doesn't.
And to do this, you need to employ critical thinking. Such as being highly sceptical of political blogs, articles with anonymous authors, and so on.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:16 AM   #180
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
State: we're going to legalize gay marriage .
Facists: how cute. We're going to smash windows, beat up politicians, radicalise the youth, and march in the streets burning cars and throwing cobblestones.
State: on second thought...

State: we have a refugee crisis on our hands, so we'll be building some facilities for housing the refugees we're taking in.
Facists: better give them police protection 24/7, because we intend to burn them all down.
Ignoring that police forces and fascists have a large overlap. Ignoring that homosexuals had no problems in Exarchia until the police came. Ignoring that some refugee squats have indeed been attacked and burned down by fascists about a year ago, after which the local anarchists organized self-defense and patrols in the neighbourhood. Ignoring that the police in Exarchia cooperates with fascist groups to hunt down refugees.

Essentially what you're doing is putting forth some abstract fantasy where you imagine that the State is a neutral arbiter existing above political factions, whereas in reality it is that homophobic attacks, racist attacks, etc are coming from both the State and the fascists, who have a large overlap and cooperation between them.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:17 AM   #181
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Dammit, if you are going to start a revolution you need to have some halfway decent shots on your side...
It's not my problem that you don't understand the concept of warning shots.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:29 AM   #182
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
No, you seem to just have decided we throw them out arbitrarily if they disagree with us.
Or, as Wolrab explicitly did, throw them out because he considered it personally insulting. Which is probably even worse.

Quote:
And to do this, you need to employ critical thinking. Such as being highly sceptical of political blogs, articles with anonymous authors, and so on.
But your critical thinking doesn't include being highly skeptical of government claims even though there's obvious bias (a government that tries to divert from socio-economic problems by having an anti-refugee campaign)? It doesn't include being highly skeptical of sources owned by the same group of people (the rich bourgeoisie) who has a direct financial interest in this (ie buying up apartments at low prices to then "fancy up" the neighbourhood and rake in the cash when renting those premises out as AirBNBs)? Critical thinking that's only applied to one set of sources and not another is not critical thinking at all, it's simply bias.

A priori there is no preference for either set of sources, critical thinking is identifying on which claims the sources contradict each other and then checking which of them is correct, and then adjusting their credibility based on the result. If you (plural) had done that you'd quickly have considered my sources credible and government sources incredible. As for anonymous authors, only a couple of sources had anonymous authors for obvious reasons - someone claiming to have attacked police isn't going to include their name and address in said claims, now are they?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 5th October 2019 at 02:31 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 03:28 AM   #183
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Ignoring that police forces and fascists have a large overlap. Ignoring that homosexuals had no problems in Exarchia until the police came. Ignoring that some refugee squats have indeed been attacked and burned down by fascists about a year ago, after which the local anarchists organized self-defense and patrols in the neighbourhood. Ignoring that...
Dodge noted.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 03:33 AM   #184
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Or, as Wolrab explicitly did, throw them out because he considered it personally insulting. Which is probably even worse.
He... didn't. Try reading your own post one more time, and then his reply.
ETA: also, whataboutism much?

Quote:
But your critical thinking doesn't include being highly skeptical of government claims even though there's obvious bias (a government that tries to divert from socio-economic problems by having an anti-refugee campaign)?
Of course it does. We're critical of both sides. I have no dog in this fight, and I don't go around believing the Greek police or government are perfect and can do no wrong.

You, however, seem to buy anything so long as it comes from some edgy blog.

Quote:
It doesn't include being highly skeptical of sources owned by the same group of people (the rich bourgeoisie) who has a direct financial interest in this (ie buying up apartments at low prices to then "fancy up" the neighbourhood and rake in the cash when renting those premises out as AirBNBs)?
Dude, get your stories straight. This is getting ridiculous.

Only a few posts ago you were lamenting how the buildings were walled up and that their owners wanted to just let them sit there uninhabited for some reason, and that they thus had no reason to throw the squatters out. Now you're going on about some evil scheme to develop and rent apartments. By rich people, no less. The absolute horror.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 5th October 2019 at 03:48 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 03:53 AM   #185
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
He... didn't. Try reading your own post one more time, and then his reply.
Yes he explicitly did:

Originally Posted by Wolrab
They are insults. See, that is how I judge your bias and credibility.
A source loses credibility on the sole basis of him considering himself to be personally insulted. Skeptics they call themselves...

Quote:
Of course it does. We're critical of both sides. I have no dog in this fight, and I don't go around believing the Greek police or government are perfect and can do no wrong.

You, however, seem to buy anything so long as it comes from some edgy blog.
The credibility of my sources has been established by the method outlined above. That you continue to simply claim that I "buy anything so long as it comes from some edgy blog" shows that you have no actual argument.

Quote:
Dude, get your stories straight. This is getting ridiculous.

Only a few posts ago you were lamenting how the buildings were walled up and that their owners wanted to just let them sit there uninhabited for some reason, and that they thus had no reason to throw the squatters out. Now you're going on about some evil scheme to develop and rent apartments. By rich people, no less. The absolute horror.
I agree that you are getting ridiculous. If you had bothered reading the thread you would've known that this operation of fancying up the neighbourhood to make it into a fancy tourist destination is supported by rich property developers and that these properties are not the same as the ones that have been squatted.

Now if you ever manage to come up with some actual argument then let me know, otherwise I see no point entertaining your ramblings.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 5th October 2019 at 03:58 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 03:56 AM   #186
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
My mistake. Didn't consider that you might be referring to a post that had been moved to AAH.
Still a whataboutism evasion, of course. Whatever some other poster might have done, it doesn't makre you less biased or uncritical.

Edit: also, yes, I confess I haven't read all the links and posts you've spewed out. If you were a bit more consise and didn't just throw out heaps of links, more people would actually read them and you wouldn't have been misunderstood.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 5th October 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 04:05 AM   #187
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
My mistake. Didn't consider that you might be referring to a post that had been moved to AAH.
Still a whataboutism evasion, of course. Whatever some other poster might have done, it doesn't makre you less biased or uncritical.
1. It is you who claimed that "people on this site" analyse sources in a particular way. Me debunking that claim of yours doesn't constitute "whataboutism."

2. You've yet to show any bias or uncritical thinking on my part.

Quote:
Edit: also, yes, I confess I haven't read all the links and posts you've spewed out. If you were a bit more consise and didn't just throw out heaps of links, more people would actually read them and you wouldn't have been misunderstood.
It's not my fault that you fail to read what's been posted before making various claims that have already been addressed.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 05:43 AM   #188
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
One poster is "people on this site" now. Cool.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:05 AM   #189
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
In the post quoted, I was referring to the obvious insults to me and other posters in the post caveman1917 made that were snipped as violations of rules 0 and 12.


His sources are suspect, in the least, but not insults.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:26 AM   #190
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Wow. So I was correct all along, and yet caveman calls me out on my post? Weird. Maybe he misunderstood your reply.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 07:45 AM   #191
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
I suppose I could have been clearer.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:07 AM   #192
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
In the post quoted, I was referring to the obvious insults to me and other posters in the post caveman1917 made that were snipped as violations of rules 0 and 12.
Yes, you claimed that I insulted you and therefor I am biased and not credible. That's a simplistic fallacy. Here let me show you:

"You idiot, the Earth is not flat."

I insulted you, therefor my claim that the Earth is not flat is biased and not credible?

Quote:
His sources are suspect
And all we have on that is your assertion, but since you're making such simplistic errors in determining credibility (see paragraph above) I don't see why I, or anyone else for that matter, should put much weight on that assertion of yours.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 5th October 2019 at 09:10 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:14 AM   #193
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
No. You declared your sources beyond reproach and then followed up with the insults.


Your credibility is in question because of the blatant one-sidedness of your sources.



Going directly to insults instead of firming up your explanations is telling to me.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:34 AM   #194
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
No. You declared your sources beyond reproach and then followed up with the insults.
I didn't declare my sources beyond reproach, you declared them to be biased and not credible, which you not only failed to support but failed to account for the fact that their credibility had been put to the test multiple times already in the thread. You failing to account for any of that but merely asserting ad nauseam that my sources (or me personally) are biased and not credible should put your credibility in question.

Quote:
Your credibility is in question because of the blatant one-sidedness of your sources.
It's amazing how you keep making up incorrect bases for determining the credibility of a source. Do you think the credibility of biology teachers is in question because of the one-sidedness of only teaching evolution and not also Intelligent Design?

Again, if you had read the thread you'd see that one of the first responses was by theprestige asking for the government side of the story, which I invited him to do if he so wished. GlennB then took it upon himself to do so with a couple of claims, which were swiftly debunked.

Quote:
Going directly to insults instead of firming up your explanations is telling to me.
One man's insults are another man's observations.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:40 AM   #195
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,700
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It's amazing how you keep making up incorrect bases for determining the credibility of a source.
We're not making anything up. These are the basics of critical thinking. Take a class and you'll see.

Quote:
Do you think the credibility of biology teachers is in question because of the one-sidedness of only teaching evolution and not also Intelligent Design?
Not sure what you mean. The ToE is a proven, settled scientific fact, not a debated topic of current events.

And are you really claiming that the blogs and Facebook pages you've cited so far are objective and not biased?

Quote:
Again, if you had read the thread you'd see that one of the first responses was by theprestige asking for the government side of the story, which I invited him to do if he so wished.
Generally speaking, "google it yourself" is a kind of handwaving that people seem to often use when they don't have good answers themselves.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."
--Stacyhs
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:58 AM   #196
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,630
When you claim (paraphrasing) "Anyone with any intelligence (an insult to my intelligence) at all can see my sources are right" is claiming your source is beyond reproach.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 10:01 AM   #197
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
We're not making anything up. These are the basics of critical thinking. Take a class and you'll see.
No they're not, why would I want to take a class that teaches such nonsense? I've already given you the proper procedure for determining the credibility of one set of sources relative to another, namely finding out on which claims they contradict each other and seeing which of them is correct on said claims.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The ToE is a proven, settled scientific fact, not a debated topic of current events.
Great, so you at least understand that reality can certainly be one-sided and the one-sidedness of a source is hence no basis for declaring it to lack credibility.

Quote:
And are you really claiming that the blogs and Facebook pages you've cited so far are objective and not biased?
No need for me claiming anything, you could've deduced this yourself by checking the results of them being challenged on their accuracy multiple times in the thread. Indeed, that is how you should determine the credibility of sources, how the hell is this so hard to comprehend?

Quote:
Generally speaking, "google it yourself" is a kind of handwaving that people seem to often use when they don't have good answers themselves.
It's not up to me to go looking for sources making easily-debunked claims. How about this: Either support this claim of my sources lacking credibility, by picking some of the assertions they made and showing them to be false, or continue to simply assert them to lack credibility ad nauseam which I'll just ignore from henceforth? GlennB gave up after that "really nice hotels" fiasco, but feel free to volunteer to be the next in line. I assume you've heard of the "put up or shut up" expression...
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 10:06 AM   #198
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
When you claim (paraphrasing) "Anyone with any intelligence (an insult to my intelligence) at all can see my sources are right" is claiming your source is beyond reproach.
No, it is pointing out that the accuracy of their claims has already been challenged multiple times in this thread and that anyone with any intelligence would have accounted for the results of those previous challenges. If I were claiming that my sources are beyond reproach I would deny to allow challenges. Yet, to the contrary, I've invited challenges - as I've done again in my previous post. What I have no interest in wasting my time with is people incessantly asserting that my sources lack credibility without ever backing it up and ignoring the proven track record of their accuracy in this very thread.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 5th October 2019 at 10:08 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 10:35 AM   #199
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,830
@Cave1719: I read the Bakunin quote in the footer to your posts. Question: Did it ever occur to you that he was talking about ideas, not plate glass and parked cars?
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #200
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,859
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
@Cave1719: I read the Bakunin quote in the footer to your posts. Question: Did it ever occur to you that he was talking about ideas, not plate glass and parked cars?
As to that quote, I'll refer you to a recent post of mine in another thread:
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Of course not, don't be silly. Fundamentally your problem is that you are too attached to your ideas, you can not accept that your claim has been proven wrong. Your aversion to cognitive dissonance is ultimately a psychological problem and not a mathematical one, so I can't help you with that. Learn to enjoy disproving your own ideas, it is the only way to learn, if it can be destroyed by proof then it should be - also, see the last quote in my signature.
Question for you: Did it ever occur to you that the childish assumptions implicit in your questions (fe "plate glass and parked cars") say more about you than about me?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.