ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2019, 04:53 PM   #81
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As someone down the thread notes, one of the funny things is that none of the fancifully placed ones are plugged in.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 08:57 AM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
As someone down the thread notes, one of the funny things is that none of the fancifully placed ones are plugged in.
Considering the amount of energy the riders supposedly put into them, they shouldn't need to be. Just charge a battery! Or feed all that power back into the grid!

The fitness room in my homeowners association has a different brand of one with a screen. It proclaims itself a hybrid. When I get done riding, it says that I have saved enough power to run a lightbulb for six minutes. The older one, without the TV built in, isn't connected to the wall at all, just has a battery for the led's. Which is better?
Old 7th December 2019, 09:09 AM   #83
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Considering the amount of energy the riders supposedly put into them, they shouldn't need to be. Just charge a battery! Or feed all that power back into the grid!

The fitness room in my homeowners association has a different brand of one with a screen. It proclaims itself a hybrid. When I get done riding, it says that I have saved enough power to run a lightbulb for six minutes. The older one, without the TV built in, isn't connected to the wall at all, just has a battery for the led's. Which is better?
I like the idea of one that works only when you're pedaling, and shuts down if you get lazy. Besides, the one that just reports your power output can be pretty discouraging.

At various points I've toyed with the idea of setting up an exercise bike with a generator that puts some useful work in for the effort, but haven't bothered, because even the most vigorous road cycling puts out a pathetic amount of wattage.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 09:55 AM   #84
Nakani
Muse

Why would you assume the husband thinks the wife has fat he finds unattractive? Fat fat fat, horrible ugly fat, it's hardwired into the brain, the people criticizing this ad should remember there are other reasons to exercise. I want my wife to exercise so she can be healthy, so her heart is strong, I want her to have the energy to live her life to the fullest for many years to come.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 11:44 AM   #85
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Cue British posters collapsing with laughter.
Spot on.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 11:49 AM   #86
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

"The Gift That Doesn't Give Back" from the Ryan Reynolds channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2t7lknrK28
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 02:52 PM   #87
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
Why would you assume the husband thinks the wife has fat he finds unattractive? Fat fat fat, horrible ugly fat, it's hardwired into the brain, the people criticizing this ad should remember there are other reasons to exercise. I want my wife to exercise so she can be healthy, so her heart is strong, I want her to have the energy to live her life to the fullest for many years to come.
That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over. Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place. If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.

Old 7th December 2019, 03:26 PM   #88
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over. Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place. If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.
I thought that it was plenty when the wife went "*Gasp* A Peloton!" and then the next scene is her smiling and saying the is excited about it. If a commercial had the same setup with a Buick, we wouldn't say they needed to show she was looking for a new car.

The silliness is people projecting, and body-shaming people for their eyebrows .

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 7th December 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 03:40 PM   #89
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So Ryan Reynolds has decided to take advantage of Peleton by using that actress in a commercial of his own, for his Aviation Gin.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Well played, Ryan, well played.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 07:57 PM   #90
Nakani
Muse

That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over.
That is because we don't live in a commercial, where life is all about suprising someone with something they will love. If they market it as a huge investment that must be discussed with your partner, it won't sell. If it is seen as something you can just buy as a gift, you will get the people who will carefully consider this investment, and the poor fool who doesn't know what to get their significant other.

Quote:
Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place.
It's an ad, not a movie. The whole thing would be avoided if people didn't determine beauty by the amount of fat they have. Whomever is outraged at the husband for buying this machine for his wife is part of the problem, not the solution.
"Ooh, this skinny person is already beautiful, she's not a ugly fatty, wtf is wrong with her husband?" Real woke.

Quote:
If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.
What if it was one of those swimming pools where you swim against the current.?
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #91
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

That is because we don't live in a commercial, where life is all about suprising someone with something they will love. If they market it as a huge investment that must be discussed with your partner, it won't sell. If it is seen as something you can just buy as a gift, you will get the people who will carefully consider this investment, and the poor fool who doesn't know what to get their significant other.
Sure, there are all sorts of ways to interpret what we see in the ad, but I'm talking about how the ad itself might have been made more successful. It would take little more than a couple of words to indicate she wanted a bike and is perhaps surprised she got such a nice one. If she had done as little as to react to the gift with something like "How did you know,"or "It's just what I wanted," the whole tone of the rest would change.
Quote:

It's an ad, not a movie. The whole thing would be avoided if people didn't determine beauty by the amount of fat they have. Who[overstrike]m[/overstrike]ever is outraged at the husband for buying this machine for his wife is part of the problem, not the solution.
"Ooh, this skinny person is already beautiful, she's not a ugly fatty, wtf is wrong with her husband?" Real woke.
I rather disagree, because there are, as I've mentioned, many reasons why a person might want to do that exercise. She's obviously not fat, but maybe she's out of shape, depressed, wants to train for triathlons, exactly why not important. But as it stands, the ad implies that he is not reacting to her reasons but imposing his own. Yes, it's an ad, and if it's ambiguous enough to make people look at it that way, then it's a bad one.
Quote:

What if it was one of those swimming pools where you swim against the current.?
If we had the room, she'd love it. So would I. I like to swim too, though I do little since I suffered a bad shoulder injury, and our gym setup is not conducive to both riding and swimming a little, so I ride while she swims. But I'd talk it over first anyway, as we would any big decision. e.t.a. in fact we've even speculated in the past about whether we could manage to fit one in. The upshot was, since we live in a smallish old farmhouse and addition is not really practical, that it's not a viable idea.

For those interested in the idea, at least one version of this is called an "endless pool," and basically one swims against a constant current, tethered if need be, I think. The small volume makes it fairly practical, where a pool of a useful length for laps is not.

Last edited by bruto; 7th December 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 8th December 2019, 02:34 AM   #92
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The ad seems to have been remarkably successfully.
Old 8th December 2019, 03:02 AM   #93
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the funny aspect of this is how so many people project elaborate motivations and imagined narratives onto characters in a commercial and people who make advertisements.
You're overlooking the fact that a lot of advertising is specifically intended to present elaborate narratives that are supposed to appeal to potential customers, and a lot of thought goes into them, but sometimes it goes wrong in the way that the advertisers don't anticipate. This has always happened, even if the reactions can be quicker these days. There are endless historic examples of campaigns which bombed to a degree that the product took a severe hit.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 03:18 AM   #94
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
They have had other commercials for their product.

The one I remember featured several users and focused on the features of the bike, rather than trying to put a 'story' behind it.
Yeah, although it's still a bit wanky, this is the only commercial I've seen - or a shortened version that doesn't have the cutaways - and it seems miles ahead of the controversial one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMG7lzRvuE

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th December 2019 at 03:19 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 02:43 PM   #95
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
This sentence seems to be remarkably incompl
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 02:54 PM   #96
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
This sentence seems to be remarkably incompl
I think you mean "This sentence seems to be remarkably incompletely."

I've seen the ad, probably a shortened version, several times in the last couple of days.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:50 PM   #97
Nakani
Muse

Sure, there are all sorts of ways to interpret what we see in the ad, but I'm talking about how the ad itself might have been made more successful. It would take little more than a couple of words to indicate she wanted a bike and is perhaps surprised she got such a nice one. If she had done as little as to react to the gift with something like "How did you know,"or "It's just what I wanted," the whole tone of the rest would change.
Ok I finally watched the ad. It looks to me like she is happy to get a present but wasn't expecting a bike, once she try's it though, she is hooked.

The marketers were smart to leave out any indication that the wife asked for/hinted about, an exercise machine. it gives the impression that even if your wife/GF never mentioned a bike or exercise, you buy her this gift, she is still
going to love it.

Quote:
I rather disagree, because there are, as I've mentioned, many reasons why a person might want to do that exercise. She's obviously not fat, but maybe she's out of shape, depressed, wants to train for triathlons, exactly why not important. But as it stands, the ad implies that he is not reacting to her reasons but imposing his own. Yes, it's an ad, and if it's ambiguous enough to make people look at it that way, then it's a bad one.
When you give any unsolicited gift you are imposing your own reasons. The gut reactions of shallow superficial people aside, there is not enough information to show the husband wanted anything other than his wife to be healthy and happy.

Quote:
If we had the room, she'd love it. So would I. I like to swim too, though I do little since I suffered a bad shoulder injury, and our gym setup is not conducive to both riding and swimming a little, so I ride while she swims. But I'd talk it over first anyway, as we would any big decision. e.t.a. in fact we've even speculated in the past about whether we could manage to fit one in. The upshot was, since we live in a smallish old farmhouse and addition is not really practical, that it's not a viable idea.

For those interested in the idea, at least one version of this is called an "endless pool," and basically one swims against a constant current, tethered if need be, I think. The small volume makes it fairly practical, where a pool of a useful length for laps is not.
Interested in the idea, because we're fat?
Reported!
Old 8th December 2019, 11:31 PM   #98
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's all that smart for the ad to keep the gift unsolicited, as the reactions to the ad seem to confirm. Whether rightly or wrongly, at least some people see it as inappropriate for the husband to buy an unsolicited exercise machine for his wife. Of course we don't have actual knowledge of what is not said, because it's a commercial. There is no back story. All we have to go on is our reaction to what's shown. If getting it right demands that we analyze it or resolve ambiguities or re-evaluate our reactions, its utility as a commercial is poor.

There are some good reasons to swim, but if you look to lose weight by it you're likely to be disappointed.

Old 9th December 2019, 12:31 AM   #99
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

At what? Getting attention? Sure, but it's not really true that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Granted, bad publicity doesn't always hurt a company (see Protein World's "Beach Body" ad). But the point of advertising isn't to get publicity, but to drive sales. Have they published sales figures since the ad aired? That's the real test.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 02:10 AM   #100
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Out of curiosity, I looked at Peloton's stock prices over the past few months and it seems the articles which told us of the sharp fall in price due to the Twitter controversy failed to mention that there had also been a sharp rise in price since the initial release of the advertisement. It appears, then, that the stock has actually risen a bit more than it has fallen since the ad was first uploaded to Youtube on November 21 - for a, as of now, net gain of about 9.5%.

The attachment is a screen shot from Google:
Attached Images
File Type: png peloton.png (31.7 KB, 8 views)
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 07:50 AM   #101
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The statistic is interesting, and we also need to remember that Peloton has other business issues. I think they're involved in a lawsuit over patents and whatnot. So the possibility remains that, much as some of us think the ad a bad one, the overall buying public might think differently. But people are fickle, and it's also possible that the sort of people who buy a Peloton are concerned about image, and that some fallout from the controversy may come later.

I still think the ad is a mistake and that they could have done it better, but that doesn't mean it didn't work at all. And at the end of the day, if the people who dislike it weren't intending to buy an expensive exercise bike, and the people who were don't mind, the whole thing ends up more about art than merchandising.

Old 9th December 2019, 07:53 AM   #102
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I wonder how many people saw the commercial and decided to buy exercise bikes, but from a different company! On the grounds that exercise is a good idea but that company is kinda jerks.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:31 AM   #103
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It may have been a different company, but I remember a commercial from a past year in which the wife finds the bike hidden away before Christmas, she's too excited to wait, and starts secretly using it every day. When her husband finally gives it to her on Christmas, she makes a point to act surprised.
You are correct. That was indeed a Peleton ad, but I can't find it now because the new commercial broke the internetTM.

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I didn't find a video, but here's a Twitter thread of the same thing with pictures:

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/stat...99762331217920
Thank you. You owe my employer $5.83 for lost time.

I ride a real bike outside, and I feel so smug right now. "I've got a fiercely-loyal crew that rides with me" - lol.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by carlitos; 9th December 2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typos
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:51 AM   #104
Abooga
Muse

I know nothing about Peloton, but a good software such as Zwift makes indoor training from the most boring activity to a really engaging one, that you look forward to, makes you work really hard without noticing etc. etc. I wish I had the time to do it. (I don´t at the moment), but for anyone looking to exercise, I strongly recommend. Just saying.
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:47 PM   #105
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Why would you assume the husband thinks the wife has fat he finds unattractive? Fat fat fat, horrible ugly fat, it's hardwired into the brain
Welcome. You must be new to earth.

Seriously, we live in a society where "heroine chic" was a thing. Where the president of the most powerful nation on the world got into a public feud over calling a Miss Universe winner "Miss Piggy".

We might complain that people's initial thought is "weight loss", but that's the way a large portion (perhaps even a majority) of the population in the western world thinks.
Quote:
the people criticizing this ad should remember there are other reasons to exercise. I want my wife to exercise so she can be healthy, so her heart is strong, I want her to have the energy to live her life to the fullest for many years to come.
I don't think that people here deny that exercise is valuable for everyone (regardless of how much they initially weigh.) But we live in a society where "fat shaming" is a thing.... "energy-shaming"? Not so much. So when someone says "here is a piece of exercise equipment" (with no other context) I think the thought that "this involves weight loss" is understandable.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:54 PM   #106
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I wonder how many people saw the commercial and decided to buy exercise bikes, but from a different company! On the grounds that exercise is a good idea but that company is kinda jerks.
Probably far fewer than decided to buy one from a different company because Pelaton is absurdly expensive.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:58 PM   #107
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Probably far fewer than decided to buy one from a different company because Pelaton is absurdly expensive.
It costs more than the assessed value of my car. By, uh, like three times. And a bit.
Old 9th December 2019, 01:53 PM   #108
Nakani
Muse

Welcome. You must be new to earth.

Seriously, we live in a society where "heroine chic" was a thing. Where the president of the most powerful nation on the world got into a public feud over calling a Miss Universe winner "Miss Piggy".

We might complain that people's initial thought is "weight loss", but that's the way a large portion (perhaps even a majority) of the population in the western world thinks.

I don't think that people here deny that exercise is valuable for everyone (regardless of how much they initially weigh.) But we live in a society where "fat shaming" is a thing.... "energy-shaming"? Not so much. So when someone says "here is a piece of exercise equipment" (with no other context) I think the thought that "this involves weight loss" is understandable.
Welcome, you must be new to the thread.

My first post was not a question that needed answering. I wanted people to consider other possibilities.
Old 11th December 2019, 02:55 PM   #109
carlitos
"más divertido"

Heroine chic is when you dress up as Jane Eyre and dance to "Good Times."
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 04:52 PM   #110
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

If people spent as much time exercising as they do complaining about stuff like this...
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 12:41 AM   #111
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Maybe there is something wrong with me (I'm sure most of you won't offer up disagreement) but the first time I saw the ad my thought was the background narrative was an emotionally abusive husband giving his wife one last chance to get a butt tighter than the babysitter he is banging requiring the constant uploading of video logs to make sure he just doesn't take off to Miami with Tiffany when she turns 18.

And now with the Ryan advert we have a chance at a Peloton Girl cinematic universe.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 12:55 AM   #112
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
If people spent as much time exercising as they do complaining about stuff like this...
Corporations could sell us more **** and billionaires would be happier.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:44 AM   #113
Mumbles
Philosopher

The part that seemed to stick out with me was when she actually looked depressed when she was supposed to get up in the morning. Made it seem like she was either forced or obligated to use the product. (But that could just be my interpretation of that part of the ad.)
Nah, “is she in a hostage video?” was, by far, the #1 reaction I saw. You can find a few people genuinely angry about nearly anything, of course, but the angriest are, yet again, the people raging about “SJWs” or ”cancel culture” (which, even if it did exist, which it doesn’t, is meaningless when it comes to a product most people will never even touch in real life) everyone else has already moved on to the Samsung QLED/Netflix Underground/Aviation gin ad, which...is actually pretty good.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2019, 07:06 PM   #114
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In what can only be classed as a middle finger to SJWs and those who make their living through faux outrage generation, the actor who played the husband in the Peloton ad bought his real girlfriend a Peloton stationary bike for Xmas. And she's smiling and happy about it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9260696.html
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2019, 09:00 PM   #115
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In what can only be classed as a middle finger to SJWs and those who make their living through faux outrage generation, the actor who played the husband in the Peloton ad bought his real girlfriend a Peloton stationary bike for Xmas. And she's smiling and happy about it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9260696.html
Nobody cares but you.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2019, 10:44 PM   #116
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It would be a bigger bwa-ha-ha if the company recovered some of the stock value it lost in the past month, I think.

I somehow doubt the decision was independent of the ad and its backlash. After all many people buy such machines without telling the world about it. I wouldn't be hugely shocked if it turned out that Peloton had a hand in the transaction. Anyway, I hope the girlfriend likes the gesture, as it's probably a pretty nice bike. But I hope she either gets good instructions or good fit advice. I think the woman in the ad would have gotten a better work out if she'd raised the seat.

Old 28th December 2019, 12:14 AM   #117
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

It would be a bigger bwa-ha-ha if the company recovered some of the stock value it lost in the past month, I think.

I somehow doubt the decision was independent of the ad and its backlash. After all many people buy such machines without telling the world about it. I wouldn't be hugely shocked if it turned out that Peloton had a hand in the transaction. Anyway, I hope the girlfriend likes the gesture, as it's probably a pretty nice bike. But I hope she either gets good instructions or good fit advice. I think the woman in the ad would have gotten a better work out if she'd raised the seat.
His girlfriend is in better shape than the actress that played his wife and she appreciates the gift. I guess the "sexist," "misogynistic," "patriarchy" labels really were nothing more than manufactured outrage by the usual SJW suspects.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2019, 12:15 AM   #118
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Nobody cares but you.
It eats at you doesn't it Mumbles?! Bwahahahaha!
Old 28th December 2019, 12:21 AM   #119
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Oh nos! Donny Walberg bought his wife one too!

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/donnie-wah...200800475.html
Old 28th December 2019, 08:18 AM   #120
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
His girlfriend is in better shape than the actress that played his wife and she appreciates the gift. I guess the "sexist," "misogynistic," "patriarchy" labels really were nothing more than manufactured outrage by the usual SJW suspects.
I don't get that conclusion, unless you are of the opinion that all girlfriends are the same. We can only judge the ad by what is shown in it and the way it's written. The fact that an actor in the ad bought the product for his girlfriend does not make the ad any better.

In any case, even if you can reasonably contend that people's reason for hating the ad was bad, it doesn't make the ad better. If people who might not hate the product shun it because they hate the ad, in some ways it does not matter if they're being unreasonable. It just means the ad missed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events