ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:41 PM   #41
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I understand that In the USA “whole pig” sausage is considered a plus because otherwise it is all ears, snout, jowls, etc.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 12:46 PM   #42
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Are you sure you aren't remembering "in a pig's eye!"? I think I heard Bones say that once to Spock.
Old 6th December 2019, 01:15 PM   #43
Porkpie Hat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
If there's a no pork pie, I want a no pork pie hat.
That's a little extreme, no?
Porkpie Hat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 01:45 PM   #44
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Someone is telling porkies?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 03:46 PM   #45
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember people in Rochester getting upset when an article in The New Yorker described Garbage Plates as originating in Buffalo.
Born in Rochester, NY and lived in the immediate region most of my life. Garbage plates rock. I had a gig in Greece and had to drive past the Gate's Nick Tahou's on the way home after last call. They had my order started as soon as they saw me walk in the door.

Buffalo can have their wings, Plates are our heritage!
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 03:54 PM   #46
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Seems mean and silly. Surely there are vegetarians/vegans, or even just people who are curious about them, in the town who'd like to have these things available without the fuss of having to order them. How can offering more choices to people ever be the wrong thing to do? And the pork lovers of Melton Mowbury really so small minded as to be offended if people are offered something they wouldn't like themselves?
Old 6th December 2019, 04:01 PM   #47
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Seems mean and silly. Surely there are vegetarians/vegans, or even just people who are curious about them, in the town who'd like to have these things available without the fuss of having to order them. How can offering more choices to people ever be the wrong thing to do? And the pork lovers of Melton Mowbury really so small minded as to be offended if people are offered something they wouldn't like themselves?
Hold on a minute. You seem to have actually read the story! I call shenanigans.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:03 PM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
It's a publicity stunt. And it's working.
Old 6th December 2019, 04:12 PM   #49
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I'm interested to see where rockysmith76 was going..
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:16 PM   #50
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I thought this was going to be anti Muslim scaremongering at first

But regarding the decision: I never understand how people can see the mere existence of something they wouldn't choose to do or buy as enough of an assault on their identity to take actions like this. Let people eat pies with a different filling, you can still buy the ones you like and everyone's happy.
Hard to say what Mowbray's offense is based on, but it could be similar to what I see here in some BC communities: a history of raising animals for food as a family business going back generations, which makes veganism a threat to their livelihood.

My sister is very fru-fru (worships the pagan Earth Goddess, practices yoga, hosts chickenpox parties, &c) but she knows to stfu about veganism in her rural community, as others who tried before her got bricks thrown through their livingroom windows. This is rancher country. Your neighbours are scratching out a living here, don't give people ideas.

ETA: there's also the perception of being judged. The Vegan option implicitly exists as the 'ethical' option. People who raise food animals hate being reminded that they're portrayed as the bad guys in this worldview.

Last edited by blutoski; 6th December 2019 at 04:20 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:23 PM   #51
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Hard to say what Mowbray's offense is based on, but it could be similar to what I see here in some BC communities: a history of raising animals for food as a family business going back generations, which makes veganism a threat to their livelihood.

My sister is very fru-fru (worships the pagan Earth Goddess, practices yoga, hosts chickenpox parties, &c) but she knows to stfu about veganism in her rural community, as others who tried before her got bricks thrown through their livingroom windows. This is rancher country. Your neighbours are scratching out a living here, don't give people ideas.

ETA: there's also the perception of being judged. The Vegan option implicitly exists as the 'ethical' option. People who raise food animals hate being reminded that they're portrayed as the bad guys in this worldview.
My bold. It's not based on anything because it doesn't exist. It's a pure and simple (and brilliant) publicity stunt.

I looked up Melton Mowbray. I find myself FAR to amused that it's just down the road from Frisby on the Wreake.
Old 6th December 2019, 04:24 PM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm interested to see where rockysmith76 was going..
Not in the direction of reading comprehension, that's for sure.
Old 6th December 2019, 04:37 PM   #53
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Back on track - I think Morrisons have gone about this very ham fistedly
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:41 PM   #54
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Seems like an empathic and reasonable move from the company.
Pandering to reactionaries and the livestock industry that feeds them.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 05:46 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
They should be bacon those pies for everyone, and not exclude that one town!
Old 6th December 2019, 06:23 PM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

As much as I dislike vegans trying to put meat names on their products to confuse us normal people, it seems a tad OTT.

My particular beef (couldn't help myself) atm the moment is our supermarkets are mixing the weirdo vegan pretend food in the meat section with real stuff and putting labels like "vegan BEEF BURGERS". To try to get you to buy them.

Each one a land mine of horridness to your average dyslexic meat eater real man.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 06:41 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
As much as I dislike vegans trying to put meat names on their products to confuse us normal people, it seems a tad OTT.

My particular beef (couldn't help myself) atm the moment is our supermarkets are mixing the weirdo vegan pretend food in the meat section with real stuff and putting labels like "vegan BEEF BURGERS". To try to get you to buy them.

Each one a land mine of horridness to your average dyslexic meat eater real man.
“Real man” “us normal people” “pretend food” “weirdo vegan”

Ok, boomer.

ETA: “ vegans trying to put meat names on their products to confuse us” it’s all a dastardly plot!

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th December 2019 at 06:50 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 08:06 PM   #58
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
“Real man” “us normal people” “pretend food” “weirdo vegan”

Ok, boomer.

ETA: “ vegans trying to put meat names on their products to confuse us” it’s all a dastardly plot!
Damn right it is.

Only boomers eat meat....ok

BTW. I am not old enough to be one.

But I appreciate the effort you made to type that post. It must be difficult given the lack of energy.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 08:13 PM   #59
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sorry

Those were kind of a wind up posts.

I have nothing against veggies or vegans, as long as they don't get all preachy about it.

They just tend to be easily wound up.

I apologise for being a bit windy uppy.

Old 6th December 2019, 08:27 PM   #60
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sorry

Those were kind of a wind up posts.

I have nothing against veggies or vegans, as long as they don't get all preachy about it.

They just tend to be easily wound up.

I apologise for being a bit windy uppy.
“I have nothing against <insert subject of reactionary anxiety> , as long as they don't get all preachy STFU about it.”

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th December 2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:43 PM   #61
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

“I have nothing against <insert subject of reactionary anxiety> , as long as they don't get all preachy about it.”
Fair call

It can seem like a religion sometimes

Old 6th December 2019, 11:44 PM   #62
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I now know what 'garbage plates' are...

... somehow, I do not feel enriched by this knowledge.
Old 6th December 2019, 11:51 PM   #63
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That was my first initial thoughts, the "leaked" memo, yeah pull the other one it's got an oink on it!
Yep.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 01:41 AM   #64
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That was my first initial thoughts, the "leaked" memo, yeah pull the other one it's got an oink on it!
Oinkment!
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 01:43 AM   #65
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Oinkment!
I think they’ve really juiced the piglet.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 02:53 AM   #66
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

“I have nothing against <insert subject of reactionary anxiety> , as long as they don't get all preachy STFU about it.”
Heavy iron(deficienc)y
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 05:08 AM   #67
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Yes, it seems to be a decision based on brawn not brain.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 05:45 AM   #68
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I was expecting this to be a kerfuffle about hats. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be about real "pork pies".

Last edited by Mike!; 7th December 2019 at 05:46 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 05:49 AM   #69
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
No, it's false voice of Politically Correct cowtowing instead of offering a option for all involved. The UK is not a Muslim country so Muslims that live there can buy Hallal as is their right and leave others to their own.
Sigh. No it's not. You're spouting drivel. Again.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 05:50 AM   #70
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yo Mamma!
So you've given up any pretense of rational discussion?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 06:00 AM   #71
gypsyjackson
Muse

No porcine puns in this one, I'm afraid, just a potentially interesting bit of trivia. When I met the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association head about 10 years ago, he confessed to me that he was vegetarian.

ETA - read the BBC article and he is still there! Matthew O'Callaghan.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 7th December 2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Extra info
gypsyjackson is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 06:25 AM   #72
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porkpie Hat View Post
That's a little extreme, no?
Ha! Worry not. Unlike the store, I shall not abandon my extensive collection of pork pie hats. They're special. One of the fuzzy little buggers became sentient a few years back.
Old 7th December 2019, 06:32 AM   #73
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Yes, it seems to be a decision based on brawn not brain.

Dave
To be fair, I've seen rasher decisions
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 07:16 AM   #74
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

No, it's false voice of Politically Correct cowtowing instead of offering a option for all involved. The UK is not a Muslim country so Muslims that live there can buy Hallal as is their right and leave others to their own.
Wow, that's just.... Wow.....

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 08:17 AM   #75
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I now know what 'garbage plates' are...

... somehow, I do not feel enriched by this knowledge.

Same here. And then I went and looked at all the related links.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:11 AM   #76
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Fair call

It can seem like a religion sometimes
This is the state of diets, though. My intersection of psychology education, fitness/strength training and skepticism gives me a depressing perspective on this: it's a great real world example of Attribution biasWP.

"My diet (veganism, vegetarianism, paleo/meat, low carb, low fat, traditional local, slow food, local food, organic, calorie restriction, periodic fasting...) is the One True Diet, so I'm actually doing people a favour when I try convince everybody to follow it. Other people and their diets... well they're just mindlessly following a fad/religion and preachy, they should all just shut up."
Old 7th December 2019, 09:47 AM   #77
Ulf Nereng
Student

I bet none of you have tried Lutefisk yet.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 09:52 AM   #78
eerok
Quixoticist

Politically Correct cowtowing
Yes, there's always the delicate problem of where to bolt on the hitch.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:59 AM   #79
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
I bet none of you have tried Lutefisk yet.
We may be stubborn, we may be opinionated, we may be argumentative, but we're not masochists.
Old 7th December 2019, 10:06 AM   #80
philkensebben
Illuminator

Pork Pies are awful. Everyone should be protesting about their presence wherever they're sold.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events