ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th December 2019, 08:45 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

NZ - White Island Volcano kicks off

100 people on or around it

Non confirmed reports it turned a helicopter upside down and dumped it

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118...-bay-of-plenty

Quote:
Injuries reported as White Island volcano erupts in the Bay of Plenty

Up to 100 people may have been on White Island when it erupted, spewing plumes of smoke into the air on Monday.

The TECT Rescue helicopter and the Waikato Westpac Helicopter have been dispatched to White Island and are responding to initial reports of 100 people on the island at the time of the eruption.

A St John spokesperson said they had reports of up to 20 people injured after the island in Bay of Plenty erupted, sending massive plumes of steam and debris into the air.

The volcano erupted around 2.30pm, with Geonet raising the alert level to four.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was late to her regular Monday post cabinet press conference as she was seeking advice on what was happening at White Island.

"Police search and rescue are supporting the emergency management crews," she said.

"At this stage, we believe 100 people were on or around the island.

"Some of these people are unaccounted for. This is evolving at this stage ... obviously it does appear to be a very significant issue."

The Whakatane Beacon reported that the first boatload of injured had arrived in Whakatāne. Families of passengers had gathered at the cordon awaiting news.

Meanwhile a TECT Rescue helicopter spokeswoman said that their helicopters hadn't arrived at the island yet "because it's so dangerous".

"They're just trying to figure out how they can get the helicopters in. And how close we can get without it being very unsafe for our crew."

St John confirmed that they are working with the Coastguard and the local DHB and had sent one ambulance crew to the island.

There are five helicopters that have been dispatched - onboard one helicopter is St John Clinical Director Dr Tony Smith who will set up a triage on the Island.

An image captured at 2.10pm from a GNS camera showed people were on the island at the time of the eruption.

GNS duty volcanologist Geoff Kilgour expressed concern for their safety.

"Our monitoring data shows that there was a short-lived eruption that generated an ash plume to 12,000ft above the vent," he said in a statement.

"Ash has covered the main crater floor as seen in our webcam images. Ash fall appears to be confined to the island and we do not expect more than a minor amount of ash to reach East Cape in the coming hours."

GNS monitoring equipment was still operating, and there had been a steady decline in activity since the eruption.

"There remains significant uncertainty as to future changes but currently, there are no signs of escalation.".........
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 8th December 2019 at 08:46 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 08:59 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently a group of tourists were walking around the crater.

Not good
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:01 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"An image taken from White Island appears to show tourists moment before the eruption."

Old 8th December 2019, 09:11 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There was no warning of a likely eruption?
Old 8th December 2019, 09:14 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Slight activity a week ago apparently, but not unusual.

They have now said it is not 100, but probably 50ish. Heaps of burnt people. People missing

Old 8th December 2019, 09:18 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There have been some injuries, and apparently about 50 people are still unaccounted for.

Live updates here.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:23 PM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently there were two explosions.

One up, one sideways

I don't think I would want to be in the way of the sideways

Old 8th December 2019, 09:26 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Listening to a call on the radio from a local seeing people body recovery shielding for privacy on the warf , but still unconfirmed

Old 8th December 2019, 09:31 PM   #9
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

If you go to New Zealand just assume there is a possiblity that at any time there could be an eruption or earthquake. Lovely place to vist, though.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:31 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Apparently there were two explosions.

One up, one sideways

I don't think I would want to be in the way of the sideways
And you don't want to be anywhere around for the "up".
Old 8th December 2019, 09:35 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
If you go to New Zealand just assume there is a possiblity that at any time there could be an eruption or earthquake. Lovely place to vist, though.
Yeah, But we are friendly and make the best meat pies and fish and chips

Old 8th December 2019, 09:39 PM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And you don't want to be anywhere around for the "up".
The "up" isn't so bad, it's the "down" that starts to get dicey.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:41 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This was posted at the link I provided above:

Quote:
Professor Shane Cronin, a volcanologist at the University of Auckland, says that the kind of eruption we saw today can commonly occur with no warning.

“Sudden, unheralded eruptions from volcanoes such as White Island can be expected at any time,” he said. “Magma is close to the surface, and the heat and gases from this heat the surface and ground waters to form vigorous hydrothermal systems. We know hydrothermal and so-called ‘phreatic’ eruptions can occur suddenly and with little or no warning because they are driven by the expansion of super-heated water into steam.

“The hazards expected from such events are the violent ejection of hot blocks and ash, and formation of ‘hurricane-like’ currents of wet ash and coarse particles that radiate from the explosion vent.

“These can be deadly in terms of causing impact trauma, burns and respiratory problems. The eruptions are short-lived, but once one occurs, there are high chances for further, generally smaller ones as the system re-equilibrates.”

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:44 PM   #14
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

A little irony. This was posted this morning...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/the...canic-eruption

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2019, 09:45 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Probably a bit premature to point it out given the situation, but the thing with these is every smaller one like this is releasing a bit of pressure to stop a massive one going off and taking out half the North Island....(Preferably the top half and not my bit).

Having said that, any Aucklanders who survive my spare bedroom is yours

Old 8th December 2019, 09:59 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

https://twitter.com/sch/status/1203893996566634496?s=19

Old 8th December 2019, 10:29 PM   #17
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely terrifying.

It calls to mind Pompeii in 79AD: very sudden, people died frozen in what they were doing at the time. The exhibition at the British Museum was heartbreaking but easier to bear being so long ago.

Quote:
Pompeii is a vast archaeological site in southern Italy’s Campania region, near the coast of the Bay of Naples. Once a thriving and sophisticated Roman city, Pompeii was buried under meters of ash and pumice after the catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. The preserved site features excavated ruins of streets and houses that visitors can freely explore.
wiki
Old 8th December 2019, 10:40 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One person has died. There are probably going to be more. It's still too dangerous for emergency services to approach.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th December 2019, 11:01 PM   #19
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Quite correctly they are not confirming number of dead. Some are saying up to 27. Others that there were 'fewer than 50' people on the island at the time. 23 have been rescued. Not all of them were part of the tourist boats. A group was seen inside the crater just before it happened.

Quote:
Kevin O’Sullivan, the chief executive officer of the New Zealand Cruise Association confirmed that a tour party of 30 to 38 people from cruise ship Ovation of the Seas were on a tour of White Island today, and had not returned.

He said the passengers names and nationalities were now being handed to police, and the Ovation of the Seas would stay docked in Tauranga at least overnight.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...te-island-live
Old 8th December 2019, 11:10 PM   #20
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Should there have been tourist boats visiting the island? According to this news report, expert volcanologists refuse to step foot on the island, knowing it was an active marine volcano, with the last, minor, rumble in 2016. This particular eruption is considered minor.

Quote:
Between 2011 and 2016 the volcano to the north of New Zealand's north island - which erupted injuring 20 on Monday - had a period of increased activity but still boatloads of tourists arrived.

Volcanologists at the time refused to step foot on the island because it was too dangerous and warned tourists not to go - but still the boats kept landing.
<snip>

Quote:
Whakaari is New Zealand's only active marine volcano, and is also the nation's most active, with regular eruptions since 2012.

The most recent eruption prior to today was minor, and occurred in 2016.

At least 70 per cent of the volcano is under sea level, and a single crater makes up most of the island, which is frequently visited by tourists.

Geological hazard trackers GeoNet had registered moderate volcanic unrest on the island for weeks, before the eruption began at 12:10pm AEDT.
The cruise companies do need to take responsibility. Tourists are going to presume it is safe if there are tours there.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:25 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Should there have been tourist boats visiting the island? According to this news report, expert volcanologists refuse to step foot on the island, knowing it was an active marine volcano, with the last, minor, rumble in 2016. This particular eruption is considered minor.

<snip>

The cruise companies do need to take responsibility. Tourists are going to presume it is safe if there are tours there.
Needs to be taken into perspective tbf

People visit active volcanoes all the time. Hawaii. Being the obvious

We are sitting on the ring of fire.

I currently live about 250 meters away from one of the biggest most likely to go off with a massive land changing earthquake fault lines on earth in Wellington.

You have to have a certain amount of detachment from worrying about it too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire

Your time is your time and that

99.9% of the time nothing happens

Old 9th December 2019, 01:35 AM   #22
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Needs to be taken into perspective tbf

People visit active volcanoes all the time. Hawaii. Being the obvious

We are sitting on the ring of fire.

I currently live about 250 meters away from one of the biggest most likely to go off with a massive land changing earthquake fault lines on earth in Wellington.

You have to have a certain amount of detachment from worrying about it too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire

Your time is your time and that

99.9% of the time nothing happens
I think anyone who willingly lives in an earth quake/ volcanic / hurricane zone is brave. If I lived in Los Angeles I'd be in a state of constant anxiety.

Quote:
New Zealand contains the world's strongest concentration of youthful rhyolitic volcanoes, and voluminous sheets blanket much of the North Island. The earliest historically-dated eruption was at Whakaari/White Island in 1826,[55] followed in 1886 by the country's largest historical eruption at Mount Tarawera. Much of the region north of New Zealand's North Island is made up of seamounts and small islands, including 16 submarine volcanoes. In the last 1.6 million years, most of New Zealand's volcanism is from the Taupo Volcanic Zone
ibid

Photo credit Public Domain Wiki: Lyn Topinka, USGS; base map from CIA, 1997; volcanoes from Simkin and Siebert, 1994 -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map_new_zealand_volcanoes.jpg (22.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 9th December 2019, 01:42 AM   #23
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I was watching the NZ tv live stream just now with the police deputy commissioner, who confirms five dead and many with terrible burns - which will be life-changing and painful for a long time - and there are still people on the island but after a risk assessment it was too dangerous for emergency crews to approach it. A reporter asked, are there people alive on the island? What if there are? The question was deflected with a firm, it is too risky for emergency services to approach it and put their own lives in danger.

There could be people, men, women and children, writhing in agony right now and in extreme thirst - it happened about seven hours ago now -as a group of Australians and possibly some passengers from a Royal Caribbean cruise liner appear to be 'missing' (= still on the island).

There won't be another update on the island until tomorrow morning now.

Last edited by Vixen; 9th December 2019 at 02:06 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 01:49 AM   #24
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Is this a picture of the doomed?

https://twitter.com/ai6yrham/status/...789607425?s=20
Old 9th December 2019, 01:55 AM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I actually meant what I said earlier

You can kind of think of this as a safety valve going off to relieve a bit of pressure, as, as horrible as it is, it could build to taking out half the North Island with a big one.

Old 9th December 2019, 02:01 AM   #26
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh ffs

Just heard rumours there was a school trip on there.

edit: Rescue workers can't go near it for obvious reasons

Last edited by cullennz; 9th December 2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:06 AM   #27
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh ffs

Just heard rumours there was a school trip on there
A couple of the figures in red in the earlier twitter photo look diminutive, like children. Let's hope that particular group was the one that got away five minutes later.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:09 AM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A couple of the figures in red in the earlier twitter photo look diminutive, like children. Let's hope that particular group was the one that got away five minutes later.
Thanks but 5 minutes wouldn't have been enough for something that huge.

Old 9th December 2019, 02:10 AM   #29
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Five confirmed to have died. 2 Critical, the other 18 rescued do far are being treated. The believe is that there are at least another 10 still on the Island, but they still can't get in to find them.

Old 9th December 2019, 02:13 AM   #30
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I think anyone who willingly lives in an earth quake/ volcanic / hurricane zone is brave.
There is pretty much nowhere on the planet that isn't in danger of either earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes, volcanic eruption, flooding, landslides, or some other major disaster.

Old 9th December 2019, 02:50 AM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
There is pretty much nowhere on the planet that isn't in danger of either earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes, volcanic eruption, flooding, landslides, or some other major disaster.
Not sure about that

If we all moved to Gore or Invercargil sh'ed probably be sweet

Old 9th December 2019, 03:03 AM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure about that

If we all moved to Gore or Invercargil sh'ed probably be sweet
Invercargill is in danger of going underwater from sea level rises. Gore has blizzards and is close enough to the Alpine Fault in Fiordland to still get big shakes should it go off like it has in the past.

Old 9th December 2019, 03:07 AM   #33
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Invercargill is in danger of going underwater from sea level rises. Gore has blizzards and is close enough to the Alpine Fault in Fiordland to still get big shakes should it go off like it has in the past.
Yeah, but they have that big fish sculpture trout thing

Old 9th December 2019, 03:14 AM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but they have that big fish sculpture trout thing
meh. I spent a week there in the 90's, that was enough.

Old 9th December 2019, 09:53 AM   #35
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

All the missing people are believed to be dead. Terrible news.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:00 PM   #36
Samson
Philosopher

Remarkably it was named a safe business.

Last year, the Whakatane business was named New Zealand's Safest Place to Work in the Small Business category of one group of workplace safety awards.

"Taking visitors into the crater of an active volcano is often perceived as high risk so we have always maintained a strong focus on ensuring our Health and Safety systems were of a very high standard," its general manager Patrick O'Sullivan said at the time.

Hard hats and gas masks provided.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12292364

It appears there are 13 fatalities
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:03 PM   #37
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

So it looks like 47 people were on there

5 confirmed dead

8 still missing, but police are saying unlikely to have anything survive (be surprised to find bodies, just my opinion)

Heaps with critical injuries moved to burns units throughout the country.

Some of these will probably die

Old 9th December 2019, 01:37 PM   #38
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It is believed that the "eruption" was actually a steam explosion caused by pressure caused by super-heated water trapped under the surface rather than a volcanic event.

Not that the difference is any comfort for the families of the 13 killed or believed to have been killed.

A couple from Singapore who were here on their honeymoon, and 7 year old girl are believed to be among the missing and presumed dead.

Old 9th December 2019, 02:19 PM   #39
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was surprised to read that the island is privately owned. Here in the USofA, lawyers would be smacking their lips with glee.
Old 9th December 2019, 02:32 PM   #40
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I am fascinated by volcanoes, but not to the extent of walking around on active ones*. My thoughts are with the dead and injured.

*I have walked about on dormant ones.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events