IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , Coronavirus

Old 2nd July 2020, 07:29 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones leads the fight against those evil masks....

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...est-at-capitol

This was a couple of days ago. I suspect bigger antics from Alex with masks now mandatory in Texas....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 2nd July 2020 at 07:32 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:35 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Let them catch the plague and die, then. They will not be missed.

And if these idjits infect others and kill a few children along the way too...well, that's the price of their American freedom, I guess.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:08 PM   #3
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'm seeing meme pics of store front signage (non-mask states obv.) saying... No masks allowed, shop elsewhere if you're such a pussy etc., and... "it's (non-masking) for the protection of the store staff". How the hell do they get there?

And is that a green American flag in AJ's little parade? What's that about?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:41 PM   #4
Busta Capp
Thinker

I won't even address the issue of hypocrisy in the fact that a store can declare anything it wants and expect it to be the rule.
Well ya know, safety and all.

I have my own feelings on the mask issue.

But just to be clear, Alex Jones is a straight up putz.
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:41 PM   #5
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'm seeing meme pics of store front signage (non-mask states obv.) saying... No masks allowed, shop elsewhere if you're such a pussy etc., and... "it's (non-masking) for the protection of the store staff". How the hell do they get there?

And is that a green American flag in AJ's little parade? What's that about?
Support for the military, Park rangers and border patrol.
Iím guessing they are in support of only 2 of the 3.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:40 AM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
I won't even address the issue of hypocrisy in the fact that a store can declare anything it wants and expect it to be the rule.
Well ya know, safety and all.

I have my own feelings on the mask issue.

But just to be clear, Alex Jones is a straight up putz.
There is no issue.Wearing masks saves lives. Everyoen should do it, and I have no problem with a temporary legal mandate to do that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:49 AM   #7
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
Yeah, how rude of a business to expect not to get diseases from its customers. Who do they think they are asking people to respect their wishes?

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:22 AM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones - your best source for false facts since 2000.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Venom
Illuminator

Building 7 never had a mandatory mask rule!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Alex Jones - your best source for false facts since 2000.
And Trump's sources of news that aren't fake gets smaller and smaller. I do believe he is down to Infowars and Breitbart.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:45 AM   #11
heymatto70
Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And Trump's sources of news that aren't fake gets smaller and smaller. I do believe he is down to Infowars and Breitbart.
Don't forget the disgraceful OAN
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:52 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

Youtuber Shoeonhead called it "compulsive contrarianism."

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 05:47 AM   #13
Armitage72
Philosopher

A couple months ago, a campground in Wisconsin announced that masks wouldn't be allowed in their facilities. They said that wearing a mask would be considered an attempted robbery and "treated appropriately".
Maybe they want to protect their staff from the stress of thinking they're going to be robbed by every customer who enters the store.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 10:33 AM   #14
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
A couple months ago, a campground in Wisconsin announced that masks wouldn't be allowed in their facilities. They said that wearing a mask would be considered an attempted robbery and "treated appropriately".
Maybe they want to protect their staff from the stress of thinking they're going to be robbed by every customer who enters the store.

I've had to go to the bank for work reasons a few times since the start of this whole mess. Have to say wearing a mask to a bank wasn't as cool or exciting as movies had lead me to believe ...

And on a serious note, I saw no additional security on site. So a campground doesn't want people wearing masks on the grounds of it seeming like a robbery, but an actual BANK won't let you in without one.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:30 AM   #15
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The only criteria to qualify as a reliable source in truplandistan is slavish praise for the dear leader - look how he's turned on Fox.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 11:47 AM   #16
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
The only criteria to qualify as a reliable source in truplandistan is slavish praise for the dear leader - look how he's turned on Fox.
Makes me curious what ONN's financials and funding look like. This year and last.

Timing test: I want 50 monthly yellow cards from Loss Leader starting now... card me, ya bastard!

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 10th July 2020 at 01:42 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2020, 04:46 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

But just in case you do want a mask, be sure to order the Infowars face mask.

Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2020, 06:29 PM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
But just in case you do want a mask, be sure to order the Infowars face mask.

Infowars: The Gold Standard for hypocrisy!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 06:52 AM   #19
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...est-at-capitol

This was a couple of days ago. I suspect bigger antics from Alex with masks now mandatory in Texas....
Did Jones say more less that wearing a mask was similar to stopping mosquitoes with a chain link fence?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 08:39 PM   #20
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There is no issue.Wearing masks saves lives. Everyoen should do it, and I have no problem with a temporary legal mandate to do that.
Masks are pretty useless/worthless. Vit C, D, Zinc, Quercetin and others save lives and keep people healthy..

https://patch.com/california/novato/...s-actually-are

I've never worn one and I have not been out around time even before Covid, but around my apt bldg and my area, no mask for this 82 yr old advocate of the above health supports.....
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 08:41 PM   #21
Caroline13
Thinker

And when Biden starts sending them out to the population, I'll mark "return to sender"..

They need to send out Vit D, and Vit C.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 09:07 PM   #22
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Masks are pretty useless/worthless. Vit C, D, Zinc, Quercetin and others save lives and keep people healthy..

I've never worn one and I have not been out around time even before Covid, but around my apt bldg and my area, no mask for this 82 yr old advocate of the above health supports.....
Quote:
Why do we wear the mask? To prevent us from getting or spreading the virus, right? Right. Let's use a little critical thinking: We wouldn't wear a mask if they didn't work, right? Of course not. So they must work, right?
So since they work, that means they trap COVID-19 particles inside the mask and outside the mask, right? Good I'm glad we've got that established.
So now, every time you and your kids pick up your masks, you all touch potentially millions of trapped viral particles contaminating your masks, don't you? And how many times do you pick up those masks - every hour, every day? Add it up.

So unless you're washing your masks each and every time you put them on and take them off - which no one will really do - you're committing the worst sin possible: You're contaminating yourself, your kids and potentially everyone around you with a highly concentrated virus… Get it?
The instructions from health care officials are to be very careful when taking a mask off. Sanitize your hands before and after taking it off. Use a mask only once and either wash it immediately (if it's a re-use-able cloth mask) or dispose of it in a sealed container (if its a single use "surgical" mask).

IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF COURSE THEY WON'T WORK!
Old 8th February 2021, 09:15 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Did you actually read that "letter to the editor" opinion? Agree with it? Not see the blinding logical problems with it? I suspect not.

Yes, yes, yes, people need vitamins to stay healthy. Anyone who spends a little time in the sun and consumes an orange a day will be crunchy full with C & D vitamins. Any more and your body simply excretes the excess. And they do not "boost your immune system", yet another common medical fallacy. It's not a muscle. You can only make your immune system worse by mistreating it or having some form of immune-supressive illness or therapy.

Unfortunately, it's the people who are indeed healthy and well and think all this silliness will protect them who are catching COVID and dying. That's probably why few of them have come back to say it's a bad idea.

Also, just FYI, Quercetin is a herbal extract flavouring. It will make the virus taste a whole lot better, I'm sure.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 09:24 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

And when Biden starts sending them out to the population, I'll mark "return to sender".
What makes you think Biden is personally going to do a mass mailout of masks?? Where do you get these ideas?
Old 8th February 2021, 09:30 PM   #25
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
The instructions from health care officials are to be very careful when taking a mask off. Sanitize your hands before and after taking it off. Use a mask only once and either wash it immediately (if it's a re-use-able cloth mask) or dispose of it in a sealed container (if its a single use "surgical" mask).

Balony I've never used a mask, never used a sanitizer, the world has gone mad mad mad mad.

And good grief the mask companies and sanitzer companies that have come up from all this maddness.
Old 8th February 2021, 09:32 PM   #26
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Did you actually read that "letter to the editor" opinion? Agree with it? Not see the blinding logical problems with it? I suspect not.

Yes, yes, yes, people need vitamins to stay healthy. Anyone who spends a little time in the sun and consumes an orange a day will be crunchy full with C & D vitamins. Any more and your body simply excretes the excess. And they do not "boost your immune system", yet another common medical fallacy. It's not a muscle. You can only make your immune system worse by mistreating it or having some form of immune-supressive illness or therapy.

Unfortunately, it's the people who are indeed healthy and well and think all this silliness will protect them who are catching COVID and dying. That's probably why few of them have come back to say it's a bad idea.

Also, just FYI, Quercetin is a herbal extract flavouring. It will make the virus taste a whole lot better, I'm sure.
Quercetin works to help zinc get into the cells of the body.

And if one lives in the tropics then they are OK with Vit C and D, maybe, otherwise there is major deficiency in the world for D and C -- how many sit around and eat lbs of oranges. ummmmmmm
Old 8th February 2021, 09:34 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Balony I've never used a mask, never used a sanitizer, the world has gone mad mad mad mad.

And good grief the mask companies and sanitzer companies that have come up from all this maddness.
You said you were 82? I wonder if your parents and grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918/19. They would not agree with you.

Read. Learn.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...ndemic/557663/
Old 8th February 2021, 09:42 PM   #28
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

You said you were 82? I wonder if your parents and grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918/19. They would not agree with you.

Read. Learn.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...ndemic/557663/
Incidentally, I am here because of the way my grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu. At the time, my grandfather and his wife had decided to not have any more children. Then his wife died from Spanish Flu. He got remarried and she wanted children. And now...here I am!

Thanks Spanish Flu!
Old 8th February 2021, 09:45 PM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What makes you think Biden is personally going to do a mass mailout of masks?? Where do you get these ideas?
From QAnon maybe...

Just sayn'
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 09:45 PM   #30
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Quercetin works to help zinc get into the cells of the body.
No it doesn't. But it does help get money out of your wallet to the herbalists.

Quote:
And if one lives in the tropics then they are OK with Vit C and D, maybe, otherwise there is major deficiency in the world for D and C -- how many sit around and eat lbs of oranges. ummmmmmm
Seriously? Is this the level of ignorance you want to show the world?

There is NOT a "major deficiency in the world for D and C". Who told you that? The "health store"? If there was, there would be massive outbreaks of scurvy and rickets in the USA. And there are not.

There's plenty of winter fruits that have loads of Vit. C besides oranges. Can you name even one? Also, why are the British navy called "Limeys"?

The only people unlikely to generate enough Vit. D live above the Arctic Circle. Otherwise everyone who doesn't live in a cave permanently usually gets sufficient daylight every day to maintain Vit D levels. More than enough.
Old 9th February 2021, 03:31 AM   #31
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

And when Biden starts sending them out to the population, I'll mark "return to sender"..

I think you should threaten the mail person, and then start ranting on twitter and YouTube to entertain us.

Also, rather than consuming quack remedies like Quercetin have you considered following healthy lifestyle choices and proven prevention methods instead?

Last edited by TheSupermeerkat; 9th February 2021 at 03:36 AM.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 06:27 AM   #32
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Why should anyone follow your advice? You have only lived to 82. I posted earlier advice from people who have lived to 100. They suggested that smoking and drinking was how they achieved it. Is that advice not more valuable than yours?
Old 9th February 2021, 06:53 AM   #33
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Why should anyone follow your advice? You have only lived to 82. I posted earlier advice from people who have lived to 100. They suggested that smoking and drinking was how they achieved it. Is that advice not more valuable than yours?
After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old 9th February 2021, 07:00 AM   #34
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Also, rather than consuming quack remedies like Quercetin have you considered following healthy lifestyle choices and proven prevention methods instead?

Thatís the thing about alternative medicine: it really isnít holistic, despite its fondness for that word.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 07:30 AM   #35
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I wonder if these people who say that no one will ever change/wash their masks ever change/wash their underwear.

My family - sixteen-year-old, ten-year-old, my wife and myself - have accumulated about eighteen cloth mask. These have pockets between the layers for additional filters, which are also washable. Whenever we have to go out - and its typically me who goes out for groceries or such - we grab a fresh clean mask from the rack where we hang them. When we return home, the mask is removed, by the cords, and dropped into a bin in our laundry room between the garage and the kitchen. Then we wash our hands thoroughly. Every few days the masks are run through the washer. We also use hand sanitizer whenever we come out of a business, before entering the car. And again, it's mostly just myself or my wife who goes out. We don't go out as a whole group.

Complaining that cleaning masks is too troublesome to bother with sounds to me like a restaurant chef complaining about the annoyance of being expected to was his hands after using the toilet.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 08:26 AM   #36
Joe Random
Master Poster

This coming from a shill clearly deep in the pockets of Big Vitamin(GmbH)
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 10:48 AM   #37
Modified
Philosopher

No it doesn't. But it does help get money out of your wallet to the herbalists.

Seriously? Is this the level of ignorance you want to show the world?

There is NOT a "major deficiency in the world for D and C". Who told you that? The "health store"? If there was, there would be massive outbreaks of scurvy and rickets in the USA. And there are not.

It depends on what "major deficiency" means. In the US, about 10% of people have vitamin C deficiency and 40% have vitamin D deficiency at any given time. Of course most of them don't have levels low enough to cause an immediate serious medical issue and most of them are not deficient year-round.

Other common deficiencies are iron, various B vitamins, iodine, calcium, and vitamin A.

Depending on the nutrient, there may be a small or large difference between a recognized level of deficiency and an optimal level. Most people have sub-optimal levels of magnesium but very few are considered deficient.

Based on everything I've read I suspect that if everyone had optimal levels of all nutrients, it would have no measurable effect on COVID infection rates and a small but significant effect on outcomes.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 11:12 AM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Thatís the thing about alternative medicine: it really isnít holistic, despite its fondness for that word.
Alternative medicine is like buying a car without an engine at a bargain price. It's definitely cheaper, but it doesn't do anything at all for you except empty your bank account into the seller's bank account.

In effect, alternative medicine is a sales scam, not a medical scam.
Old 9th February 2021, 12:21 PM   #39
Armitage72
Philosopher

Alternative medicine is like buying a car without an engine at a bargain price. It's definitely cheaper, but it doesn't do anything at all for you except empty your bank account into the seller's bank account.

In effect, alternative medicine is a sales scam, not a medical scam.

People here have probably heard the saying:

"What do you call alternative medicine that actually works?"
"Medicine."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2021, 12:33 PM   #40
trustbutverify
Philosopher

And Ouija boards too.

Are you official QAnon, or just a casual enthusiast?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories