IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ae911truth , richard gage , wtc 7 , wtc 7 report

Old 4th April 2011, 12:21 PM   #321
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Really? You honestly believe that?

Horse ****.
He said what??
Old 4th April 2011, 12:21 PM   #322
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Posting the same thing over and over and expecting a different response. Can i get a WOW!
heres a new one. 25.4mm of steel in just 8-18 days! professor sisson could only get "little metal" to dissolve in 24 hrs.
Senenmut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 12:23 PM   #323
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
So? Things can't happen for a first time, or happen only once? That's an argument from incredulity, a logical fallacy. As I noted. I note that you still haven't removed your signature either, so I'm suspecting that you aren't here for honest debate.
from what i remember, derailing democracy is the book. have ya heard of operation mockingbird before?
Senenmut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 12:26 PM   #324
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
I'd like to see the data on that please. Do you have a link to that data?

Could you also point out where the Sulphur is in these red layers in the Harrit et al paper?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&pictureid=874

what?

why would you think one has to have the sulfur in the red grey chips?
Old 4th April 2011, 12:41 PM   #325
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Senenmut View Post

what?

Cat got your tongue? You have pushed thermite as the reason for the corrosion we see. You have even quoted Jones as doing an experiment filmed by the BBC using thermite with sulphur and the exact same corrosion observed. You obviously believe that you need sulphur to get the eutectic composition.

But when I ask you to show me where the Sulphur is in the thermite Jones supposedly found you go all coy and shy like a 3 year old.

So can I assume that you now believe that Jones' samples couldn't have caused the corrosion observed because there was no Sulphur in the red layer?

Nope, I expect you'll just put up a couple of words with a smilie. If you do you should use this one you've just been pwnd.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 01:15 PM   #326
triforcharity
Banned

heres a new one. 25.4mm of steel in just 8-18 days! professor sisson could only get "little metal" to dissolve in 24 hrs.
Yes, 24 hours. Do you know how many hours are in 8 days?

More than 24.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 01:16 PM   #327
triforcharity
Banned

what?

Because he claimed he replicated the swiss cheese using thermAte, which includes sulfur.

What Jones et al. claim (falsely) that they found, was thermIte, not thermAte.

Do you see the contradiction now?
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 01:18 PM   #328
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
He said what??
Yepo, he claimed that the collapses blew the fire out.

If that could work, then firefighter's don't need water hoses, we just need really big fans. Maybe we'll just buy a bunch of airboats!
Old 4th April 2011, 01:56 PM   #329
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

But when I ask you to show me where the Sulphur is in the thermite Jones supposedly found you go all coy and shy like a 3 year old.
? if it was pre fab stuff, put some sulfur between layers. if i remember right, prof jones thinks the red grey chips might have been used as "matches" to ignite thermXte.

the point is that it showed the same "characteristic corrosion as found by Barnett et al. in WTC 7 steel."

So can I assume that you now believe that Jones' samples couldn't have caused the corrosion observed because there was no Sulphur in the red layer?
we can always speculate. see above.

Nope, I expect you'll just put up a couple of words with a smilie. If you do you should use this one you've just been pwnd.
yeahhhhh..right. no sunstealer, you can blow alot of smoke but you cant explain how prof sisson was suppose to replicate an office/debris fire with powders that supposedly caused the eutectic to form in the first place and then to "corrode" the steel. 15.9mm of a36 steel in just 8 days is massive.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:22 PM   #330
carlitos
"más divertido"

15.9mm of a36 steel in just 8 days is massive.
This remains an argument from incredulity. "Massive" compared to what, exactly?

And no, the quote you have in your signature was not uttered by former CIA director Colby, no matter where you misremember it from.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 02:27 PM   #331
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

compared to the fire wise professors "who expected to see distortion and bending--but not holes."

And no, the quote you have in your signature was not uttered by former CIA director Colby, no matter where you misremember it from.
and you know this how?
Old 4th April 2011, 02:42 PM   #332
triforcharity
Banned

Because he claimed he replicated the swiss cheese using thermAte, which includes sulfur.

What Jones et al. claim (falsely) that they found, was thermIte, not thermAte.

Do you see the contradiction now?
Ahem**

Sene? Care to respond? Or are you going to ignore this post?
Old 4th April 2011, 02:43 PM   #333
triforcharity
Banned

compared to the fire wise professors "who expected to see distortion and bending--but not holes."
So, that means what exactly? That sometimes something unexpected happened, that it is suspicious?

Hardly.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:46 PM   #334
Justin39640
Illuminator

why do you think they "expected to see distortion and bending--but not holes."
Um... Maybe they called it novel cause... they didn't expect to see it?
Old 4th April 2011, 02:52 PM   #335
Justin39640
Illuminator

Aren't these the same "fire wise professors" that you and the 9/11 truth movement attack as shills and (weakly) attempt to discredit their work?
Old 4th April 2011, 03:12 PM   #336
chrismohr
Master Poster

Curtain-fall collapses

Does anyone know about curtain-fall collapses in fires? This I got from Vincent Dunn's book on Fire Safety. Looks like this may describe the Building 7 perimeter collapse, except that it's masonry/brick materials so my question --- would this kind of collapse scenario apply in a steel-framed building with perimeter columns?

Curtain-Fall Collapse

In this type of collapse, the exterior masonry wall drops like a falling curtain cut loose at the top. The wall crumbles and falls straight down, with brick and mortar forming a pile on the ground near the base of the wall. The collapse of the brick veneer, brick cavity, or masonry-backed stonewall often occurs in a curtain-fall manner. If the metal ties holding a brick veneer wall to plywood backing are destroyed by fire, or if mortar bonding between an exterior finished stonewall and a masonry backing wall is washed away by hose streams, large sections of brick or stone veneer may fall off the building's exterior. Firefighters entering, leaving, or operating near the doorways beneath the curtain-fall collapse may be killed or seriously injured by falling brick.

Another situation of potential curtain-fall collapse occurs when fire has collapsed the interior of a multi-story brick-and-joist structure and the remaining free-standing walls have many window openings with brick arches serving as linters. If one of the masonry walls starts to fall and the brick arches spanning the tops of the wall openings crumble and fall apart, the wall will fall downward rather than straight out.

Maybe an entirely different mechanism is at play here, but it's interesting to see that very fast "curtain-fall" collapses do happen in fires, not just in CD. Does curtain-fall sound like free-fall, or am I reading too much into this?
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 03:16 PM   #337
9/11 Chewy Defense
Banned

Originally Posted by chrismohr View Post
Does anyone know about curtain-fall collapses in fires? This I got from Vincent Dunn's book on Fire Safety. Looks like this may describe the Building 7 perimeter collapse, except that it's masonry/brick materials so my question --- would this kind of collapse scenario apply in a steel-framed building with perimeter columns?

Curtain-Fall Collapse

In this type of collapse, the exterior masonry wall drops like a falling curtain cut loose at the top. The wall crumbles and falls straight down, with brick and mortar forming a pile on the ground near the base of the wall. The collapse of the brick veneer, brick cavity, or masonry-backed stonewall often occurs in a curtain-fall manner. If the metal ties holding a brick veneer wall to plywood backing are destroyed by fire, or if mortar bonding between an exterior finished stonewall and a masonry backing wall is washed away by hose streams, large sections of brick or stone veneer may fall off the building's exterior. Firefighters entering, leaving, or operating near the doorways beneath the curtain-fall collapse may be killed or seriously injured by falling brick.

Another situation of potential curtain-fall collapse occurs when fire has collapsed the interior of a multi-story brick-and-joist structure and the remaining free-standing walls have many window openings with brick arches serving as linters. If one of the masonry walls starts to fall and the brick arches spanning the tops of the wall openings crumble and fall apart, the wall will fall downward rather than straight out.

Maybe an entirely different mechanism is at play here, but it's interesting to see that very fast "curtain-fall" collapses do happen in fires, not just in CD. Does curtain-fall sound like free-fall, or am I reading too much into this?
That's exactly what happened to Tower 1 & 2. If any Truthers suggest otherwise, shut up & go back to school & actually learn something.
9/11 Chewy Defense is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 03:19 PM   #338
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Senenmut
You are comparing steel to professors? This makes no sense.

Quote:
and you know this how?
You refused to provide a source when challenged at length in this thread.

Here was another poster's (unsuccessful) defense of the quote.

Originally Posted by carlitos
Originally Posted by achimspok
I'm sure "right on the money" is as accurate as the fake quote from William Colby in Senenmut's signature.
"The CIA & The Media" from Rolling Stone, 10/20/77
I have scanned 3 online versions of that article. Here is one that is linked by the wikipedia entry. http://danwismar.com/uploads/Bernste...nd%20Media.htm

None of them contain the phrase "the CIA owns."
None of them contain the phrase "major media."
I think it's a fake that you copy/pasted from some conspiracy website. Would you care to prove me wrong?

Last edited by carlitos; 4th April 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: quotes
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 03:34 PM   #339
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

delete. double post.
Old 4th April 2011, 04:11 PM   #340
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

You are comparing steel to professors? This makes no sense.
it is comparing what they expected to see ( distortion and bending--but not holes) to 15.9mm of a36 steel gone in 8 days.

You refused to provide a source when challenged at length in this thread.

I think it's a fake that you copy/pasted from some conspiracy website. Would you care to prove me wrong?
you can read about it here. that is the book it is traced back too. i just bought the book on amazon so if its not there, ill let ya know.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=153698
Old 4th April 2011, 04:24 PM   #341
Sunstealer
Illuminator

? if it was pre fab stuff, put some sulfur between layers. if i remember right, prof jones thinks the red grey chips might have been used as "matches" to ignite thermXte.
Wait, now there are more layers than the gray layer and the red layer? Can you show anyone this multiple layering containing Sulphur? Jones only found bi-layered chips. One layer is iron oxide most likely either rusted steel or MIO (fig 31 & 33 also show non-metallic gray layer too!). The red layer is the supposedly thermite. They do not claim thermate. Now all of a sudden it's used as a match! Do you know why that is a stupid idea?

You don't so I'll tell you. ThermAte is thermIte with Sulphur added. The temperature of ignition is going to be identical if not LOWER than thermite due to the reaction between Sulphur and Aluminium so there is no benefit in igniting thermate with thermite - you will have to get the temperature just as high if not higher to ignite thermite - it's pointless.

Can you not see that Jones is adding layer upon layer of unnecessary complication because his findings do not support the corrosion mechanism observed? No ofcourse not.

He claims thermite - then it's pointed out you need sulphur for a Fe-0-S eutectic - so then he adds Sulphur to his claim even though his own study; Harrit et al, doesn't find this.

the point is that it showed the same "characteristic corrosion as found by Barnett et al. in WTC 7 steel."
Sorry, but until we see the data then his claim is invalid. We know Jones et al don't have a clue so we need to see data for the claim so we can compare. I asked for a link to the data and you didn't provide it. Why not?

Bearing in mind Jones hasn't actually read the Harrit et al paper in full - he can't have because if he did he would have realised this. It also shows how incompetent they were. They had a sample of Tnemec red primer paint but didn't realise it instead claiming thermite.

Yes corrosion of this severity is unusual, however, in order to get this type of corrosion to occur temperatures must be elevated for significant periods of time. We are talking days.

Do you understand what solid state diffusion is?

Do you know what a parabolic rate constant is?

Do you know which parameters dictate diffusion of Sulphur (or for that matter any gas) into the surface of steel?

Do you know what carburisation is, why it's used and how metallurgists can calculate how deep a "case depth" can be made given time, temperature, partial pressure etc. Why is case hardening (carburising) performed at 925°C and above?

If you researched carburising then you would come to understand why the diffusion of Sulphur takes days given the corrosion we see.

There is also the possibility of liquid metal embrittlement (LME) taking place LME cracking is mm/s - very fast. You may also wish to look up the term "Hot Shortness" and read up on why Manganese is added to steel. It's entirely possible that we are seeing hot shortness in this instance.

Show me a thermite/thermate that will burn for more than an hour. (Infact more than a 10 minutes would be a feat) I'll guarantee you can't. It's simple reaction kinetics. You really should read up on a subject fully before jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 04:31 PM   #342
triforcharity
Banned

Curtain-Fall Collapse

Chris,

I have seen this type of collapse before. Vincent Dunn is incredibly smart, and one of the most respected firefighter instructors out there.

Here is the book that the passage appears in.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0hr...llapse&f=false

This is the type of collapse Vincent is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfpRO9bTfo

Here is another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1e3ddf3RM

Now, I can't find the training video I have of a true curtain fall collapse, but I will try to find it asap.

No, it is not the same as what happened on 9/11. Not at all.

But, I am going to assume that it could have a freefall period, as in the second video, but curtain fall and freefall are not the same.
Old 4th April 2011, 05:14 PM   #343
Christopher7
Philosopher

I think Chris is right here. My understanding is that NIST didn't look carefully at thermal contraction after the sagged steel beams cooled off a bit when the fire burned out in some regions of the building.
The collapse was triggered by thermal expansion, not thermal contraction.

NCSTAR 1A pg 22 [pdf pg 64]
Fire-induced thermal expansion of the floor system surrounding Column 79 led to the collapse of Floor 13, which triggered a cascade of floor failures. In this case, the floor beams on the east side of the building expanded enough that they pushed the girder spanning between Columns 79 and 44 to the west on the 13th floor. This movement was enough for the girder to walk off of its support at Column 79.

The unsupported girder and other local fire-induced damage caused Floor 13 to collapse, beginning a cascade of floor failures down to the 5th floor
Christopher7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 05:27 PM   #344
triforcharity
Banned

Hey Chris7,

There is a post here that you should view.
Old 4th April 2011, 05:35 PM   #345
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Bearing in mind Jones hasn't actually read the Harrit et al paper in full - he can't have because if he did he would have realised this. It also shows how incompetent they were. They had a sample of Tnemec red primer paint but didn't realise it instead claiming thermite.
Wait, huh? Which Jones? Stephen? I thought he was the co-author of that work. Or is there another Harrit paper out there I'm not aware of?

Or... are you saying that Jones didn't even read the material one of his co-authors contributed? That I could see.
Old 4th April 2011, 05:59 PM   #346
Senenmut
Graduate Poster

Wait, now there are more layers than the gray layer and the red layer? Can you show anyone this multiple layering containing Sulphur? Jones only found bi-layered chips. One layer is iron oxide most likely either rusted steel or MIO (fig 31 & 33 also show non-metallic gray layer too!). The red layer is the supposedly thermite. They do not claim thermate. Now all of a sudden it's used as a match! Do you know why that is a stupid idea?
its called speculation. prof jones found chips with multiple layers. was this stuff sprayed on or was it pre fabricated meaning it could came in multiple layers and rolled out onto the steel. if it came say 10 layers thick, one could easily put a layer of sulfur down then more layers of the red grey chip material then sulfur and so on...

You don't so I'll tell you. ThermAte is thermIte with Sulphur added. The temperature of ignition is going to be identical if not LOWER than thermite due to the reaction between Sulphur and Aluminium so there is no benefit in igniting thermate with thermite - you will have to get the temperature just as high if not higher to ignite thermite - it's pointless.
yeah. its speculation.

Can you not see that Jones is adding layer upon layer of unnecessary complication because his findings do not support the corrosion mechanism observed? No ofcourse not.
but he did state that this experiment exhibited the same corrosion characteristics that barnett found regarding the wtc 7 steel:
"I (with colleagues) have done the experiment with thermite + sulfur (often called "thermate") acting on a piece of WTC steel. In fact, I did the experiment with BBC filming it! Then we looked at the steel, including use of electron microscopy, and found the same characteristic corrosion as found by Barnett et al. in WTC 7 steel. OTOH, I know of no expt done to test whether gypsum and heat would have this effect -- I would be VERY surprised, as the sulfur in gypsum is not elemental Sulfur, but is bound as a sulfate (very difficult to reduce to suflur.) We should do the latter experiment to rule out such nonsense. If you can provide direct quotes from the BBC program on this point, it may prove useful in a research note on the subject."
Old 4th April 2011, 06:27 PM   #347
Christopher7
Philosopher

Hey Chris7,

There is a post here that you should view.
I read it, so what?

They used the results in their model.

NCSTAR 1-9 Vol.1 pg 353
This analysis demonstrated possible failure mechanisms that were used to develop the leading collapse hypothesis further. The failure modes in this model were incorporated into the 16 story ANSYS and 47 story LS-DYNA analyses.

The slab was heated in the fire so this data does not represent what actually happened.
Christopher7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 06:37 PM   #348
Animal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Christopher7 View Post
I read it, so what?

NCSTAR 1-9 Vol.1 pg 353
This analysis demonstrated possible failure mechanisms that were used to develop the leading collapse hypothesis further. The failure modes in this model were incorporated into the 16 story ANSYS and 47 story LS-DYNA analyses.

The slab was heated in the fire so this data does not represent what actually happened.
"Consider a simple floor beam-to-girder arrangement as found" in the northeast corner of WTC7

In-plane restraint of the floor slab restrained expansion. This boundary condition is assumed for illustrative purposes and to produce a maximum force in the shear studs. This simple analysis helped to determine whether or not the failure of shear studs needs to be accounted for in the detailed ANSYS analysis of the lower 16 stories of WTC 7 (Chapter 11). In the detailed finite element analysis, the floor slabs were not restrained and the heating of the concrete slab and steel beams was determined by thermal analysis (Chapter 10).
Animal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 06:47 PM   #349
Christopher7
Philosopher

It wasn't just the curtain wall, it was the entire upper portion of the building.

NCSTAR 1A pg 55 [pdf pg 97]
The entire building above the buckled-column region then moved downward in a single unit, as observed

"a free fall time would be an object that has no structural components below it"
[this is axiomatic]
Do you think that the upper portion in the top graphic will fall at FFA, as the one on the bottom would?

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/1...ngvnothing.jpg

Mod WarningChanged image to link. Stop re-posting the same image over and over again.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:LashL

Triforcharity: The roof line descended 3 feet at the NW corner and 7 feet in the center as the columns buckled. The buckled column region had to be removed to permit FFA. Buckling columns provide resistance and preclude FFA.

Last edited by LashL; 5th April 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:02 PM   #350
Christopher7
Philosopher

In the Chandler and NIST graphs the roof line descends, pauses, and then goes into free fall acceleration. That cannot happen when columns are buckling, it can only happen if they are removed.

Last edited by Christopher7; 4th April 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:12 PM   #351
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

it is comparing what they expected to see ( distortion and bending--but not holes) to 15.9mm of a36 steel gone in 8 days.
Show us the steel with holes.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 07:17 PM   #352
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

It wasn't just the curtain wall, it was the entire upper portion of the building.

NCSTAR 1A pg 55 [pdf pg 97]
The entire building above the buckled-column region then moved downward in a single unit, as observed

"a free fall time would be an object that has no structural components below it"
[this is axiomatic]
Do you think that the upper portion in the top graphic will fall at FFA, as the one on the bottom would?

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/1...ngvnothing.jpg

Triforcharity: The roof line descended 3 feet at the NW corner and 7 feet in the center as the columns buckled. The buckled column region had to be removed to permit FFA. Buckling columns provide resistance and preclude FFA.

Read the part above again. Stop being dishonest.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 07:24 PM   #353
Christopher7
Philosopher

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
Read the part above again.
I have read it. Did you read this?

The roof line descended 3 feet at the NW corner and 7 feet in the center as the columns buckled. The buckled column region had to be removed to permit FFA. Buckling columns provide resistance and preclude FFA.

Last edited by Christopher7; 4th April 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:27 PM   #354
Carlos
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
It would appear that Christopher believes that if a fire goes out on floor 12, the damage caused by the fire is fixed automatically.

Also known as Volwerine's Effect.

The customer with the knife is always right - Quohog, the bartender
Carlos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 07:32 PM   #355
triforcharity
Banned

but he did state that this experiment exhibited the same corrosion characteristics that barnett found regarding the wtc 7 steel:
"I (with colleagues) have done the experiment with thermite + sulfur (often called "thermate") acting on a piece of WTC steel. In fact, I did the experiment with BBC filming it! Then we looked at the steel, including use of electron microscopy, and found the same characteristic corrosion as found by Barnett et al. in WTC 7 steel. OTOH, I know of no expt done to test whether gypsum and heat would have this effect -- I would be VERY surprised, as the sulfur in gypsum is not elemental Sulfur, but is bound as a sulfate (very difficult to reduce to suflur.) We should do the latter experiment to rule out such nonsense. If you can provide direct quotes from the BBC program on this point, it may prove useful in a research note on the subject."
And you're STILL missing the point. Jones et al. do not claim to have FOUND thermAte, they claim to have found thermIte.

Do you STILL not understand the problem??
Old 4th April 2011, 07:33 PM   #356
triforcharity
Banned

I read it, so what?

NCSTAR 1-9 Vol.1 pg 353

Nice handwave and shift of subjects.

What does this have to do with Benzene?
Old 4th April 2011, 07:34 PM   #357
Carlos
Critical Thinker

I have read it. Did you read this?

The roof line descended 3 feet at the NW corner and 7 feet in the center as the columns buckled. The buckled column region had to be removed to permit FFA. Buckling columns provide resistance and preclude FFA.
Strictly speaking, even a toothpick provide resistance.

The customer with the knife is always right - Quohog, the bartender
Carlos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 07:34 PM   #358
triforcharity
Banned

In the Chandler and NIST graphs the roof line descends, pauses, and then goes into free fall acceleration. That cannot happen when columns are buckling, it can only happen if they are removed.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/5...aphcompare.jpg
How much resistance does a buckled column provide?
Old 4th April 2011, 07:41 PM   #359
Christopher7
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Animal View Post
"Consider a simple floor beam-to-girder arrangement as found" in the northeast corner of WTC7

In-plane restraint of the floor slab restrained expansion. This boundary condition is assumed for illustrative purposes and to produce a maximum force in the shear studs. This simple analysis helped to determine whether or not the failure of shear studs needs to be accounted for in the detailed ANSYS analysis of the lower 16 stories of WTC 7 (Chapter 11). In the detailed finite element analysis, the floor slabs were not restrained and the heating of the concrete slab and steel beams was determined by thermal analysis (Chapter 10).
That's what I responded to. NIST said: "This boundary condition is assumed for illustrative purposes and to produce a maximum force in the shear studs.

But they used the results in their ANSYS model.

They created a test to get the result they wanted but that is not what happened in the fire. The slab was heated at the same time the beams were heated.

Last edited by Christopher7; 4th April 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:57 PM   #360
Christopher7
Philosopher

How much resistance does a buckled column provide?
The columns were buckling in a random manner so some were providing more resistance than others. I don't know what the formula is for a typical exterior column [W14x500] but the buckling columns were providing resistance into the period of FFA. i.e. The NIST model does not depict the event.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories