IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ae911truth , richard gage

Old 30th June 2011, 05:40 AM   #41
mercian
Scholar

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
If a truther argues with you, just ask them why Jones et al haven't sent a couple of samples anonymously ....
Thanks Sunstealer, I made this point, but I think it will fall on deaf ears.
Old 30th June 2011, 05:53 AM   #42
mercian
Scholar

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
My degree is in "Applied Mathematical Sciences" - does that make me a scientist?
The guy you quote is correct: By profession, I am an IT consultant. I do not work as a scientiest, and certainly material sciences or chemistry are not my fields at all.
Hey Oystein, thanks, it was my bad for making the throw-away statement, it really shouldn't matter anyway.. as you say, is the work correct or not?

Obviously truthers know about you already and have already convinced themselves you're wrong, I should've anticipated they'd have heard of you.
Old 30th June 2011, 06:35 AM   #43
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mercian View Post
Hey Oystein, thanks, it was my bad for making the throw-away statement, it really shouldn't matter anyway.. as you say, is the work correct or not?

Obviously truthers know about you already and have already convinced themselves you're wrong, I should've anticipated they'd have heard of you.
Actually, I am rather surprised that truthers have not only heard my nickname and about my "work" here, but even noted some details such as my job description, which I have mentioned maybe 3 or 4 times, casually, in my 4000+ posts here. I am not much active on 9/11 outside of the JREF. So yeah, I guess trutherdom is paying close attention to what we all are doing here. Guess they fear us

Debunking 9/11 truthers is merely a hobby of mine. Wouldn't call that "work".
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 09:21 AM   #44
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

My degree is in "Applied Mathematical Sciences" - does that make me a scientist?

This reminds me of a good one I heard a while back. "If you have to call a subject a science, it's not really a science."
Old 30th June 2011, 09:35 AM   #45
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
This reminds me of a good one I heard a while back. "If you have to call a subject a science, it's not really a science."
I am not arguing that
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 02:10 PM   #46
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Debunking 9/11 truthers is merely a hobby of mine. Wouldn't call that "work".
Same here although I have been told that's just my cover story and that I am in all probability a paid disinformationalist. After all I claim to work for a TV station!!!!!111!11!111 How much more transparent can a cover story be?
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 02:12 PM   #47
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Leon Lederman? Seems to me had something along that line to say. Of course he also poo-poohs theoretical phyicists because their 'equipment' consists of a pencil whereas his is a Tevatron.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 02:51 PM   #48
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmmm, I found these;
When gravity calls, something falls. ~J.L.W. Brooks

Physics isn't a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money. ~Leon Lederman

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting."
-- Ernest (1st Baron) Rutherford (1871-1937)

No human investigation can be called real science if it cannot be demonstrated mathematically. -Leonardo da Vinci

This one come close to the sentiment we are looking for...
The theoretical broadening which comes from having many humanities subjects on the campus is offset by the general dopiness of the people who study these things... -Richard Feynman

OR

University President: "Why is it that you physicists always require so much expensive equipment? Now the Department of Mathematics requires nothing but money for paper, pencils, and erasers . . . and the Department of Philosophy is better still. It doesn't even ask for erasers." -Isaac Asimov

and one Oystein might appreciate

In every department of physical science there is only so much science, properly so-called, as there is mathematics. ~Immanuel Kant
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:22 PM   #49
Telltale Tom

Originally Posted by Lenbrazil View Post
RIBA comes under fire for hosting ‘bonkers’ 9/11 talk
24 June 2011 | By Will Hurst, David Rogers

Institute reviews policy after controversial event booked by Zaha Hadid Architects associate

The RIBA is reviewing its policy on hiring out 66 Portland Place following a storm of criticism over its hosting of a group claiming that New York’s Twin Towers were brought down through a controlled explosion.

Leading architects on both sides of the Atlantic hit out at the institute this week after American architect Richard Gage, part of the group Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth, delivered a lecture at RIBA HQ on Monday night

[...]

Director of the American Institute of Architects’ New York chapter Rick Bell, who witnessed 9/11, expressed surprise at the event and said “no amount of money” would persuade him to allow the group to talk at his headquarters.

“The professional community discredits this guy,” he said. “We rent to just about anybody but if this guy came to me I’d say we don’t want your money, we don’t want you in our building.
“You have to draw the line somewhere… Not for any amount of money would we have that talk in our space. It gives it a credibility that it doesn’t deserve.”

KPF chairman Gene Kohn, who was the AIA’s spokesman in the aftermath of the attacks, called Gage’s theories “ridiculous”.

[...]
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/riba-...020382.article

For some reason this was covered by 9/11 Blogger
http://911blogger.com/news/2011-06-2...ites-firestorm
Although the architects that did not attend Richard's talk think it is bonkers the ones that did, were clearly enthralled. If you look at our survey of those who attened the talks on the European tour on ae911truth.org you will see there were 863 attendees and after Richard's talk only two believed the collapses were caused by fire, only 61 were unsure and the rest believed in controlled demolition. And 88 architects and engineers attended so watch for the bump in our numbers.

And you know its the truth.!

The results from Edinburgh, Cardiff and Cambridge are not yet posted. The Best Western in Edinburgh is not quite as prestigous as the RIBA but Richard has shown his dedication by facing the hardships of international travel and speaking in all sorts of locations in the name of the cause.
Telltale Tom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:30 AM   #50
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
and one Oystein might appreciate

In every department of physical science there is only so much science, properly so-called, as there is mathematics. ~Immanuel Kant
Why - because he was German? ^^
Kant is so bone-dry, I really can't read him. I think I'd rather read English translations than his original German...
Oh and I liked the Asimov quote best

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories