IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2022, 02:25 PM   #201
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Nice image taken as Orion approached the halfway point of its distant-retrograde orbit
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 02:52 PM   #202
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Very cool!
Old 30th November 2022, 06:15 AM   #203
jadebox
Master Poster

Best selfie ever!
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 07:59 PM   #204
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Wow.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 04:55 PM   #205
mgidm86
Philosopher

That is spectacular.

My Dad says he held me up to the TV when I was a toddler so I could say I watched the first man on the moon. I don't remember it but I bet the picture was just a bit lower in quality.

I needed something cool to see today, thanks NASA.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:39 PM   #206
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That is spectacular.

My Dad says he held me up to the TV when I was a toddler so I could say I watched the first man on the moon. I don't remember it but I bet the picture was just a bit lower in quality.

It was awful. My then girlfriend and now wife watched it on a big screen (must have been at least 50 inches) at Toronto City Hall Square along with a few hundred other people. We were close enough to see a fuzzy grey blob step foot on a fuzzy grey ground. I guess people a few rows back could at least say they were there.

Here it is:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:30 PM   #207
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
It was awful. My then girlfriend and now wife watched it on a big screen (must have been at least 50 inches) at Toronto City Hall Square along with a few hundred other people. We were close enough to see a fuzzy grey blob step foot on a fuzzy grey ground. I guess people a few rows back could at least say they were there.

Here it is:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
It was
- shot through a window of Eagle,
- transmitted to Earth
- displayed on a TV with a nonstandard number of lines
- recorded on a standard TV camera
- transmitted around the world
- broadcast by all the TV stations

So yes, the quality was poor. To add insult to injury the original recording has been lost. After all the hardware it was recorded on was valuable and it was considered what was recorded had no value so it was reused.
Old 4th December 2022, 02:58 AM   #208
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That is spectacular.

My mother did the same!
Old 4th December 2022, 11:56 AM   #209
pzkpfw
Thinker

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It was
- shot through a window of Eagle,
The initial ladder climb and first step was shot from a camera mounted on a fold out flap of the descent stage.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2022, 12:14 PM   #210
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That is spectacular.

In addition to being spectacular, it provides a good example of how dark the moon actually is.
Old 5th December 2022, 02:49 PM   #211
jadebox
Master Poster

The first live image from Aretamis 1 after it swung around the moon on its way home made me gasp. It looks like a scene from 2001.

jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2022, 08:52 PM   #212
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's now heading back toward earth again.
Old 5th December 2022, 09:21 PM   #213
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

On track for a 11 December splashdown.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2022, 06:51 AM   #214
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Some spectacular video of the launch with excellent sound. Headphones definitely recommend, although it sounds great through my living room sound system, too. The shots from the launch complex are especially impressive, particularly when the SRBs ignite.

I AGREE
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2022, 07:49 AM   #215
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Some spectacular video of the launch with excellent sound. Headphones definitely recommend, although it sounds great through my living room sound system, too. The shots from the launch complex are especially impressive, particularly when the SRBs ignite.

I AGREE

That thing fairly leaps off the launchpad. I'm used to a much more sedate ascent while watching big rockets.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 09:22 AM   #216
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post

I AGREE
I like that the audio was not adjusted to match the sound of the launch with the video - if that makes sense. I mean that they kept it real, so if the sound takes 20 seconds to get from the launchpad to the viewer, then that's what we see. We see the rocket light up and start moving but don't hear it until 20 seconds or so later (from the first camera position in the video).

It's surprising (and disappointing) how often that sort of thing gets edited out of videos. I watch a lot of video coming out of Ukraine, and they often sync up the sounds of bombs with the appearance of bombs even it you can naturally assume that the sound actually took some time to get to the camera. There's no need to edit the video like that, but they do it anyway.

Like this one, for example: Underwater nuke test. It's obvious that the camera is some miles from the blast but the image and sound of the blast have been synced to remove the speed of sound. That just seems unnecessary.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 11:29 AM   #217
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
That thing fairly leaps off the launchpad. I'm used to a much more sedate ascent while watching big rockets.
Solid rocket motors generally provide higher acceleration.
Old 7th December 2022, 11:46 AM   #218
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Solid rocket motors generally provide higher acceleration.
Advantage: Lots of thrust, NOW!
Disadvantage: No 'off' switch, whatsoever. It's gonna run as long as it's meant to run, and not a moment less.

Last edited by Mike!; 7th December 2022 at 11:47 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2022, 06:36 AM   #219
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Disadvantage: No 'off' switch, whatsoever. It's gonna run as long as it's meant to run, and not a moment less.
...under normal circumstances.

Pedant Alert!

But there is a dramatic off-switch. There are explosives along the body of the SRBs that, when activated, split open the SRB causing the pressure in the combustion chamber to quickly drop and the solid propellant to stop burning.

Of course, this is part of the Flight Termination System used in an emergency. It was used after the Challenger accident. In the videos of that tragic accident, you can see the SRBs start to fly off, still under power, until the Range Safety Officer triggers the FTS and the SRBs break apart.

Even more pedantic ...

Solid rocket motors are designed to produce specific thrust curves mostly by varying the geometry of the core. Many are designed to produce a regressive burn (higher thrust at first) because you often need that.

The hobby rockets like I fly usually require air flowing past the fins to be stable so they are designed with high initial thrust so they are going fast enough when leaving the launch rod or rail.

But many of our hobby motors have progressive burns mainly because they are easier to produce, but also for specific situations, for example to reduce drag and stress at lower altitudes where the air is thicker.

Last edited by jadebox; 8th December 2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 8th December 2022, 07:52 AM   #220
Jimbo07
Illuminator

I've beaked about the production quality of the launch broadcast. You might think I can't be impressed by anything low-res. Of course, that's not the case:

Artemis I Earth-moon transit

Wow!

I've never seen that before, and neither have you (not counting if you viewed it earlier today )! We know from physics and common navigation (even here on Earth) that at some point, transits have to happen... we just don't often get to see this particular one!

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by Jimbo07; 8th December 2022 at 07:57 AM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2022, 08:14 AM   #221
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
I've beaked about the production quality of the launch broadcast. You might think I can't be impressed by anything low-res. Of course, that's not the case:

Wow!

I've never seen that before, and neither have you (not counting if you viewed it earlier today )! We know from physics and common navigation (even here on Earth) that at some point, transits have to happen... we just don't often get to see this particular one!

Thank you for this. Somehow it's rather moving. I suspect the music they've chosen helps.

The moon somehow doesn't look like the moon, because I (and everyone else on the planet) am not used to seeing that side of it.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2022, 07:16 PM   #222
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post

I wonder why it seems to be pulsating or throbbing? (growing and shrinking in size) I get that it's a time lapse. Did the zoom change as it was happening?

It's very cool nevertheless, but would be even cooler if it were smooth.

Reminds me of something that was filmed in a desert or hot summer day through hot rising air, but I know that can't be it because it's in the vacuum of space.

Last edited by Puppycow; 9th December 2022 at 07:18 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2022, 07:21 PM   #223
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I wonder why it seems to be pulsating or throbbing? (growing and shrinking in size) I get that it's a time lapse. Did the zoom change as it was happening?

It's very cool nevertheless, but would be even cooler if it were smooth.

Reminds me of something that was filmed in a desert or hot summer day through hot rising air, but I know that can't be it because it's in the vacuum of space.
My guess is that it is because the camera is mounted on the end of a solar panel wing which moves and flexes.

Someone could process the video to remove the "throbbing." It isn't a lot of frames so it might be something someone with a bit of free time could do manually frame -by-frame.

Not me!
Old 10th December 2022, 01:39 AM   #224
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

Frasier Cain's latest video has some nice pictures from Artemis
Old 10th December 2022, 03:16 AM   #225
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
The initial ladder climb and first step was shot from a camera mounted on a fold out flap of the descent stage.
Don't be silly, that was a camera man!
Old 10th December 2022, 03:18 PM   #226
mgidm86
Philosopher

I don't think anything makes me feel more insignificant and vulnerable as viewing Earth from space.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2022, 12:01 PM   #227
Mike!

Splashdown!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/11/world...scn/index.html

Last edited by Mike!; 11th December 2022 at 12:03 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2022, 01:02 PM   #228
miatasport99
Scholar

The NASA stream just ended right as the mission was handed off to the "recovery team." The team that's actually going to pull it out of the water. Anyone know if there's a way to watch that live?
miatasport99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2022, 01:21 PM   #229
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by miatasport99 View Post
The NASA stream just ended right as the mission was handed off to the "recovery team." The team that's actually going to pull it out of the water. Anyone know if there's a way to watch that live?
https://youtu.be/Si2iks2-T34
Old 11th December 2022, 01:27 PM   #230
miatasport99
Scholar

Thank you!
miatasport99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2022, 01:35 PM   #231
jadebox
Master Poster

BTW, it was explained earlier that they are leaving the capsule in the water longer than they will in later missions so they can perform some tests. They are doing things like determining how well and low long the cooling system would keep the crew comfortable.

They also said that NASA hasn't decided yet if the astronauts will remain in the capsule until it is lifted onto the recovery ship or if they will exit while it is still in the water. The astronaut in that discussion made it clear that her preference would be to get out as soon as possible. Watching it bounce around in the relatively calm waters right now, I see her point.
Old 11th December 2022, 01:49 PM   #232
miatasport99
Scholar

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
BTW, it was explained earlier that they are leaving the capsule in the water longer than they will in later missions so they can perform some tests. They are doing things like determining how well and low long the cooling system would keep the crew comfortable.

They also said that NASA hasn't decided yet if the astronauts will remain in the capsule until it is lifted onto the recovery ship or if they will exit while it is still in the water. The astronaut in that discussion made it clear that her preference would be to get out as soon as possible. Watching it bounce around in the relatively calm waters right now, I see her point.
I heard the part about the extended recovery time here for testing/documentation, but not that the crew extraction timeline is still in flux for future missions. Yeah, I gotta imagine that after that ride, I'd want out right away
Old 11th December 2022, 01:51 PM   #233
Mike!

I heard the part about the extended recovery time here for testing/documentation, but not that the crew extraction timeline is still in flux for future missions. Yeah, I gotta imagine that after that ride, I'd want out right away
"I love you guys, and it's been fun, but I need some 'me' time, if you don't mind."

Last edited by Mike!; 11th December 2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11th December 2022, 04:22 PM   #234
miatasport99
Scholar

Well, the capsule is finally out of the water and onto a ship. I thought it would be picked up by a helicopter, not pulled into the hull of a ship. Thanks jadebox for the KSC link.
Old 11th December 2022, 06:24 PM   #235
jadebox
Master Poster

Well, the capsule is finally out of the water and onto a ship. I thought it would be picked up by a helicopter, not pulled into the hull of a ship. Thanks jadebox for the KSC link.
Wasn't that exciting? I should have made popcorn! :-)

Remembering Apollo, I was expecting them to use a helicopter also.

When I was a kid, we lived near Eglin AFB in Florida. When we visited the base swimming area, we could see a barge with an Apollo capsule on it docked near by. We even saw it being towed out into the ocean once or twice. It was used for training the crews that recovered the capsules. The boilerplate capsule is now on display near the building where I later worked on-base.
Old 11th December 2022, 06:50 PM   #236
miatasport99
Scholar

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Wasn't that exciting? I should have made popcorn! :-)

Remembering Apollo, I was expecting them to use a helicopter also.

When I was a kid, we lived near Eglin AFB in Florida. When we visited the base swimming area, we could see a barge with an Apollo capsule on it docked near by. We even saw it being towed out into the ocean once or twice. It was used for training the crews that recovered the capsules. The boilerplate capsule is now on display near the building where I later worked on-base.
That's pretty cool! I live in Lancaster, Ca. We used to have a capsule on display outdoors at a local "Apollo Park". It got taken away a while ago to a museum.

This article talks about it: https://www.presstelegram.com/2011/0...akes-re-entry/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology