ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 04:40 AM   #3081
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Jeez, did they copy this directly from the Daily Stormer?
It's the Daily Express, so probably
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 04:43 AM   #3082
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I again point out the desperate need for a liberal equivalent to Alex Jones.
I'm not sure that's possible. I'm not sure that there are enough liberals out there who would support an endless fact-free stream of invective without eventually concluding that it was a load of hooey....
I'm pretty sure Bill Maher exists and has and audience.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 05:51 AM   #3083
Stacko
Philosopher

Russia contradicts Trump by admitting they had contact with his campaign.

Quote:
For months, President Trump and his aides have insisted that they had no contact with Russian officials during the presidential campaign, a denial Mr. Trump repeated last week.

“I have nothing to do with Russia,” he told reporters on Thursday. “To the best of my knowledge, no person that I deal with does.”

The denial stands at odds with statements by Russian officials, who have at least twice acknowledged contacts with aides to Mr. Trump before the election.

It is not uncommon for a presidential campaign to speak to foreign officials, which makes the dispute particularly unusual. At the same time, any contacts would have taken place during a period when American intelligence agencies believe the Russian government was trying to disrupt the election with a campaign of computer hacking.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 06:25 AM   #3084
phiwum
Philosopher

You are misunderstanding us. When Democrats take back power, there won't be any reaching across the aisle. The people who voted Trump are never going to be taken seriously, ever again.
Sure as hell hope you're wrong, because it would be nice to have grownups willing to compromise in charge again.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 07:23 AM   #3085
uke2se
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sure as hell hope you're wrong, because it would be nice to have grownups willing to compromise in charge again.
I don't think any Democrat really wants to compromise with the GOP ever again after how they behaved these last eight years. And the people who claim that it's "libruls'" fault that they voted Trump really needs to be marginalized as much as possible for everyone's wellbeing.
Old 21st February 2017, 07:37 AM   #3086
Worm
Graduate Poster

I get the impression that large numbers on both 'sides' are not up for compromise. The prevailing attitude seems to be 'we won, so you lot can just shut up for the next 4 to 8 years', never having to or not wanting to think about working together and compromising.

'We get to do X, because the last guy did Y which was so much worse' is just so childish. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, what the guy before you did is irrelevant.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 07:42 AM   #3087
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

If the net benefit from the status quo is zero, from enacting your plan is positive, but compromise would produce a negative net benefit, then compromise does more harm than good.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 07:48 AM   #3088
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Russia is a ruse though.
(I had read that article earlier, but Stacko, you are the king of headlines. Don't ever stop)

CNN has put up a suggestion that the Kremlin might not be so enamoured with Trump any more.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/17/po...alysis-chance/
entertaining quote
Quote:
This is translated from Friday morning's Komsomolskaya Pravda: "... one cannot but pay attention at president Trump's self-contradicting (or mutually exclusive) evaluations, which he made for NATO during the elections and today. Trump called the alliance outdated and useless. But less than two months after Trump settled into the Oval Office he expressed the full support of NATO. As they say, there's no way to understand the US president's real position without being drunk."
Hypothetically, if Russia does have compromising info on Trump, and they lose interest in leaving the bridge in place, does it serve them to, even gradually, leak that info to keep US politics in upheaval?
Old 21st February 2017, 07:54 AM   #3089
uke2se
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Russia is a ruse though.
(I had read that article earlier, but Stacko, you are the king of headlines. Don't ever stop)

CNN has put up a suggestion that the Kremlin might not be so enamoured with Trump any more.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/17/po...alysis-chance/
entertaining quote

Hypothetically, if Russia does have compromising info on Trump, and they lose interest in leaving the bridge in place, does it serve them to, even gradually, leak that info to keep US politics in upheaval?
We'll know if Russia has officially changed it's tone when posters like Childlike Empress starts posting anti-Trump "news". Right now there's no sign of that.
Old 21st February 2017, 07:58 AM   #3090
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I get the impression that large numbers on both 'sides' are not up for compromise. The prevailing attitude seems to be 'we won, so you lot can just shut up for the next 4 to 8 years', never having to or not wanting to think about working together and compromising.

'We get to do X, because the last guy did Y which was so much worse' is just so childish. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, what the guy before you did is irrelevant.
I can only see a Trump presidency exacerbating that particular problem.
Old 21st February 2017, 08:07 AM   #3091
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

We'll know if Russia has officially changed it's tone when posters like Childlike Empress starts posting anti-Trump "news". Right now there's no sign of that.
You're probably right.
"Nikolai Kovalev, former head of the FSB, the successor to the KBG told Interfax: "This is disinformation. There’s an information war against Trump in which, as we can see, all means are [considered] necessary. These political games will continue as long as anti-Russian sentiment has a serious presence in the American establishment."
If the FSB tells you that Trump is being unfairly maligned, then you are no more informed than you were before.
Old 21st February 2017, 08:23 AM   #3092
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump administration wants to deport migrants to Mexico even if they aren't Mexican.

Quote:
Buried deep in the Trump Administration’s plans to round up undocumented immigrants is a provision certain to enrage Mexico — new authority for federal agents to deport immigrants caught crossing the southern border to Mexico, regardless of where they are from.

If present immigration trends continue, that could mean the United States would push hundreds of thousands of Guatemalans, Hondurans, Salvadorans, Brazilians, Ecuadorans, even Haitians into Mexico. Currently, such people are detained in the U.S. and allowed to request asylum.

President Trump wants them to do so from Mexico, communicating via videoconference calls with U.S. immigration officials from facilities that Mexico would presumably be forced to build.
Old 21st February 2017, 08:26 AM   #3093
Argumemnon
World Maker

Interesting.

More links with Russia, indirectly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GIVHivbkI
Old 21st February 2017, 08:38 AM   #3094
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Perhaps that's because there are only five kinds of people, (white) Muricans, *******, sand-*******, Chinese and Mexicans.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 08:39 AM   #3095
Worm
Graduate Poster

Given all the things that Trump wants the Mexicans to build, are we sure he doesn't have a dummy corporation with big construction holdings in Mexico?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st February 2017, 08:48 AM   #3096
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That would leave out our current crop of Republicans, wouldn't it?

We've had eight years to see how willing they are to compromise, and what we have learned is that they'd rather see the country go down the toilet than ever give an inch on anything.

And that their definition of compromise is "Give me everything I want, and then we'll talk."

That's when they're willing to go that far, which isn't often since they're terrified it might make a Democrat look good to their constituency.

The way they have handled their reaction to the ACA ... essentially a Republican health care plan in origin ... over two presidential terms is plenty of proof of what kind of compromise we can expect from them.
Old 21st February 2017, 09:38 AM   #3097
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoThe thread is too long. To avoid instability, a continuation has been started here.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics