ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th October 2019, 03:03 PM   #121
mgidm86
Philosopher

Power has been out about 40 hours. They may restore it briefly then shut it off again for a few more days. Lot of maybes.

Posting here from my phone for the first time. Sucks getting off work at 1 am and being wide awake in a dark house and having nothing to do. I used my phone as a wifi hotspot and watched vids on the iPad. That killed my already wounded.and old phone. So PG&E owe me a phone

It WAS windy though. Didn't think it would be. I went fishing to get out of the house and it was crazy for Cali. Had one cast blow back over the shore. Whitecaps on the lake. Pretty funny.

Hell of a stupid corner PGE painted them and us into.

By the way when they say "customers" without power you can multiply that number by 3 and get the amount of "humans" affected. Math seems to work.out that way in the reports.

Yesterday it was 1.2 million just in the bay area alone. Humans.

[Not posted using tap-u-suk from my cheap-ass new phone]

ETA: I have a large battery power backup brick you can buy for your phone. I've charged my iPad, phone, wifi hot spot gadget from Verizon. We don't have internet here without going to semi-extremes.

Our street everyone are all on wells for water. Sorry don't know how to grammar correct on this phone yet. One neighbor has a sign up offering free water to neighbors. No.electricity = no well pump. We have no running water. Tank is full though so.we have plenty. Just need to fetch it

But...there's a hole in the bucket dear Liza dear Liza...

Last edited by mgidm86; 28th October 2019 at 03:09 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 03:04 PM   #122
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Q. What did communists Californians use for light before candles?

A. Electricity.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 03:06 PM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I think it's not fair to place the blame solely on PG&E. I think there's a blame triad here: PG&E, politicians, and residents. Everybody in the triad wanted something for nothing. Everybody in the triad did their part to get it. Now it's time to pay the piper. The politicians decided PG&E should pay the bill. PG&E decided the residents would have to pitch in. Hopefully the residents will close the circle and make the politicians pony up too.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th October 2019 at 03:08 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 04:20 PM   #124
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Power has been out about 40 hours. They may restore it briefly then shut it off again for a few more days. Lot of maybes.

Posting here from my phone for the first time. Sucks getting off work at 1 am and being wide awake in a dark house and having nothing to do. I used my phone as a wifi hotspot and watched vids on the iPad. That killed my already wounded.and old phone. So PG&E owe me a phone

It WAS windy though. Didn't think it would be. I went fishing to get out of the house and it was crazy for Cali. Had one cast blow back over the shore. Whitecaps on the lake. Pretty funny.

By the way when they say "customers" without power you can multiply that number by 3 and get the amount of "humans" affected. Math seems to work.out that way in the reports.

Yesterday it was 1.2 million just in the bay area alone. Humans.

[Not posted using tap-u-suk from my cheap-ass new phone]

ETA: I have a large battery power backup brick you can buy for your phone. I've charged my iPad, phone, wifi hot spot gadget from Verizon. We don't have internet here without going to semi-extremes.

Our street everyone are all on wells for water. Sorry don't know how to grammar correct on this phone yet. One neighbor has a sign up offering free water to neighbors. No.electricity = no well pump. We have no running water. Tank is full though so.we have plenty. Just need to fetch it

But...there's a hole in the bucket dear Liza dear Liza...
Forgive me if this is advice for the choir but:

If you don't have a generator, get a bunch of those LED lanterns. They don't run the batteries down very fast and they are now made very bright. I also have one of those wind up radios and flashlights. Lasts about a half an hour on one crank.
Old 28th October 2019, 04:31 PM   #125
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

On side issue that bugs me.

In many cases homes in the effected shutdown areas that have solar panels... aren't getting power.

California is one of those states that requires most residential solar panel systems be attached to the grid and those solar panels are being effected by the same shutoff. In a lot of cases you can't use the solar panels on your own roof to directly power your own house, the electricity goes "to the grid" and is distributed from there, so when the grid is down... you're down despite having solar panels on your roof and living in California.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...ges-heres-why/

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/...down-the-grid/

https://news.bloombergenvironment.co...k-in-blackouts
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:02 AM   #126
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
On side issue that bugs me.

In many cases homes in the effected shutdown areas that have solar panels... aren't getting power.

California is one of those states that requires most residential solar panel systems be attached to the grid and those solar panels are being effected by the same shutoff. In a lot of cases you can't use the solar panels on your own roof to directly power your own house, the electricity goes "to the grid" and is distributed from there, so when the grid is down... you're down despite having solar panels on your roof and living in California.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...ges-heres-why/

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/...down-the-grid/

It sounds like the problem is not that the panels are linked to the grid, but that most people haven't bought batteries to store power:
Quote:
The only way for most solar panels to work during a blackout is pairing them with batteries. That market is just starting to take off. Sunrun Inc., the largest U.S. rooftop solar company, said hundreds of its customers are making it through the blackouts with batteries.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:11 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
We were told today that we will be without power for at least the weekend.
No frozen good for you, I guess.

How do you manage to keep the perishables?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:13 AM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's mandatory because you'll die if you don't leave.
I'm pretty sure they cast a broader net than that. Anything else would be irresponsible.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:19 AM   #129
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No frozen good for you, I guess.

How do you manage to keep the perishables?
The power has been out for days. When I can finally go home, I expect a stinky refrigerator. Also, at 4am trying to stuff my frightened cat into a carrier, he sprayed urine everywhere. No time to clean it up. Still looking forward to going home, stinky or not.
Old 29th October 2019, 09:23 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

The power has been out for days. When I can finally go home, I expect a stinky refrigerator. Also, at 4am trying to stuff my frightened cat into a carrier, he sprayed urine everywhere. No time to clean it up. Still looking forward to going home, stinky or not.
Lysol's going to make a killing off of this.

Stay safe.

Old 29th October 2019, 09:46 AM   #131
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think it's not fair to place the blame solely on PG&E. I think there's a blame triad here: PG&E, politicians, and residents. Everybody in the triad wanted something for nothing. Everybody in the triad did their part to get it. Now it's time to pay the piper. The politicians decided PG&E should pay the bill. PG&E decided the residents would have to pitch in. Hopefully the residents will close the circle and make the politicians pony up too.
Oh absolutely. I bitch constantly here about Cali so I figured that part was a given Cali is largely to blame, including the environmentalists lawyers who keep us from cleaning out the forests, among other things.

@Skeptic Ginger: We have some lights like that. We were somewhat prepared. Had some power bricks to keep the phones and stuff charged.

We got some water from our neighbor. I think I mentioned he had a sign outside for "Free Water". There are 7 homes on this street. It's kind of suburban/rural though not far from a major city.

We have goats here (Francisco's - see below), there are gangs of wild turkeys crossing our property daily (dumb dumb birds) and the neighbor has some Texas Longhorns in the big corrals next door. Kinda cool.

Anyways, we used the forklift (why not?) to haul a few water buckets to our place from the neighbors (The Walton's no less). We've had mostly the same neighbors for 40+ years here.

Our well tank is pretty full but it's hard to get to. The neighbor has a generator on his well. We will too.

We ended up cooking and hanging out in the camper last night. Our "landscaper" Francisco hung out with us for a bit. I played some ELO and maybe Elton from my truck. It felt like camping.

I say "landscaper" because he doesn't do much at all. I'm sure he sleeps down by another neighbor's well. He uses our lawnmower for his business and I don't know how, but he slowly wormed his way into running his business from here. I'm at my parents house by the way.

He stores two trailers, a few beat up trucks, and 5 goats here. When I came back to town I asked my parents how he ended up with all of this here and they don't even know. It just kinda happened over time. I wasn't a fan of it at first. It looks kind of dumpy here.

But he's a nice guy, from Mexico originally, and he does what he can to show his appreciation. Brings food, sometimes mows the lawn haha. He's got a bunch of crap stored here but I think he's almost like family a little.

We invited him in the camper, fed him, gave him a beer. Was kinda cool. Like camping.

Today the power is on. Was off for about 50 hours. I looked it up and it isn't scheduled to go off again, but my step-dad says it might, so who the hell knows? I just heard him say it's going off tonight.

First thing I did when the power came on was take a shower!

This is not a good way to live. We're all leaving Cali soon anyways.

Last edited by mgidm86; 29th October 2019 at 10:03 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 09:59 AM   #132
mgidm86
Philosopher

There's more to the story though, and this goes for a lot of folk.

My parents run a cabinet shop here. There has been no power and the shop is closed. Nobody getting paid, no jobs getting done.

My parents recently got scammed out of a very large sum of money and the business, house and retirement are all in jeopardy, big time. I've been learning about scams here for what 16 years?! This should never have happened but nobody said anything. Stupid. But that's another story.

So not only are they close to losing everything, now they can't even run their shop thanks to the power problems, and every day counts right now. Employees have quit, another is thinking about it, and if he does my parents are f'd.

So ya, this power outage is hurting a helluva lot, and there are many other businesses affected too, as well as their employees.

It isn't just internet surfing that is being affected. This is costing people more than i think many people can even imagine. Some people can't afford to miss a single day of work.

To elaborate more on the PG&E not being the only problem, they are a gigantic part of it. They chose not to make repairs. They chose where to allocate the money.

They have run a shoddy business for decades (read the article linked by Giordano for some great info). California legislature can be blamed for everything that's wrong here, so like I said before, that's a given.

I suppose a good dose of rain would kill the problem for the rest of the season.

About perishables: They get thrown away. Our fridge is practically empty now, save for what we could fit in the camper. Freezer too. Lot of money and good food wasted.

Traffic lights were out during rush hour. Nightmare. I could see the highway and the freeway from where I was fishing yesterday. Suckers

Lot of things are being affected.

Last edited by mgidm86; 29th October 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 31st October 2019, 02:15 PM   #133
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

There's more to the story though, and this goes for a lot of folk.

My parents run a cabinet shop here. There has been no power and the shop is closed. Nobody getting paid, no jobs getting done.

My parents recently got scammed out of a very large sum of money and the business, house and retirement are all in jeopardy, big time. I've been learning about scams here for what 16 years?! This should never have happened but nobody said anything. Stupid. But that's another story.

So not only are they close to losing everything, now they can't even run their shop thanks to the power problems, and every day counts right now. Employees have quit, another is thinking about it, and if he does my parents are f'd.

So ya, this power outage is hurting a helluva lot, and there are many other businesses affected too, as well as their employees.

It isn't just internet surfing that is being affected. This is costing people more than i think many people can even imagine. Some people can't afford to miss a single day of work.

To elaborate more on the PG&E not being the only problem, they are a gigantic part of it. They chose not to make repairs. They chose where to allocate the money.

They have run a shoddy business for decades (read the article linked by Giordano for some great info). California legislature can be blamed for everything that's wrong here, so like I said before, that's a given.

I suppose a good dose of rain would kill the problem for the rest of the season.

About perishables: They get thrown away. Our fridge is practically empty now, save for what we could fit in the camper. Freezer too. Lot of money and good food wasted.

Traffic lights were out during rush hour. Nightmare. I could see the highway and the freeway from where I was fishing yesterday. Suckers

Lot of things are being affected.
We got electricity late yesterday, hoping to get gas today. We moved back as soon as the electricity went back on.

We lost power Saturday and were evacuated Saturday night. We came back in for a while on Tuesday with a generator for our refrigerator and for our garage freezer. A couple of hours on the generator and they were both cooled down so that we have not lost anything significant.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 02:50 PM   #134
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
We got electricity late yesterday, hoping to get gas today.
So gas (I assume you mean natural gas through pipes) stops when the electricity does? At least in other parts of the country, some lot people have (natural) gas-powered generators that provide electricity when/if the power goes out. They're tied together in California?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:31 PM   #135
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
So gas (I assume you mean natural gas through pipes) stops when the electricity does? At least in other parts of the country, some lot people have (natural) gas-powered generators that provide electricity when/if the power goes out. They're tied together in California?
PG&E shut off natural gas as well as electricity in some areas in the projected burn path. Lesson learned from Santa Rosa and I suspect Paradise.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:47 PM   #136
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I bet most of these people if not all of them have generators.
Old 31st October 2019, 03:59 PM   #137
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

We have gas! Hot water! Heat! Hot water! HOT WATER!

Old 31st October 2019, 04:01 PM   #138
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Some people. But not most people. But I'm guessing Santa will be delivering one or two this Christmas.

Old 31st October 2019, 07:05 PM   #139
mgidm86
Philosopher

What people? Very few people have generators.

All of them?
Old 31st October 2019, 07:12 PM   #140
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not in California, but in a windy area subject to power outages. We have a propane-powered generator which will supply light but not heat. I wonder how long it would keep running in a major outage?
Note to self: Call propane company tomorrow and have the tank topped up.
Old 31st October 2019, 07:20 PM   #141
wasapi
Philosopher

Not so. Out of about 100 people here, about 30 people have generators (I do not.) There is a rush on them now, and the prices are going up.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:25 PM   #142
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

We have had outage and fire warnings down here in Orange County...and I experienced both rare (for me) events in the last week. Oddly, they were not really related to the warnings. The brush fire I drove through was on a non-windy day and the outage was planned to upgrade the neighborhood's undergrounded equipment.

Things my brain didn't plan to be 'off':
-Water dispenser has a motor and won't work...neither does the one on the fridge(duh!). (the hard tap-water ruins the dog bowl so she got some fiji water that day)
-Garage ain't opening no matter how many times I hit the button!

Mild inconveniences compared to people who have evacuated real fire danger for days so I'm not complaining.

I also learned that a strong smell of smoke can travel many miles. Freaked me out at 3am last night. I thought there was a fire on my street somewhere!

Fire on 91 by Sher Keu

Last edited by Sherkeu; 31st October 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 10:02 AM   #143
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Remember to get your very own personalized dust mask so you don't breath in the crap which will dissolve your lungs.
Which is bugger all good.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 10:10 AM   #144
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Indeed. All of PG&E's utility services should be taken over by the state or other municipality.
That's a bit too logical, sensible and socialist for USAians.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 10:47 AM   #145
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That's a bit too logical, sensible and socialist for USAians.
Not necessarily. Power, water and other services are provided by private companies across the country. But they are closely regulated public utilities. In exchange for their monopoly, their prices and practices are restricted and supervised. It sounds like PG&E was allowed to do or not do pretty much whatever it wanted. That's the problem.
Old 1st November 2019, 12:14 PM   #146
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It sounds like PG&E was allowed to do or not do pretty much whatever it wanted.

Thus demonstrating the benefits of deregulation. Don't know why anyone would think that's a bad idea...
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 12:16 PM   #147
Belz...
Fiend God

Gods, I love living in the northern reaches of the world, with some reliable hydroelectricity.

Stay safe, everyone.

Old 1st November 2019, 03:14 PM   #148
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I also learned that a strong smell of smoke can travel many miles. Freaked me out at 3am last night. I thought there was a fire on my street somewhere!
It sure does. We, at the northeast corner of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington had smoke from quite a ways up in British Columbia last year.

We have a generator so at least the fridge will keep working. I'm looking to expand the number of circuits on it so maybe TV and internet will work!
Old 1st November 2019, 03:33 PM   #149
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not so. Out of about 100 people here, about 30 people have generators (I do not.) There is a rush on them now, and the prices are going up.
The stores run out of generators every time there's a big windstorm here. I used to have one, really came in handy when the power was out for 24 hours as I have refrigerated vaccine stored. Across the street only 2 houses down their's was out for a week. I sold the generator a few years ago rather than fix the gas leak it developed.

First lesson of power outages, it takes electricity to run gas pumps. So a lot of gas stations have probably been closed.

Another business in trouble when power gets shut off for a length of time are the dairies. They need electricity to milk the cows and cows cannot go long without milking.

The whole thing sucks and the state really needs to bail these people out who are losing their businesses.
Old 1st November 2019, 04:40 PM   #150
Nosi
Master Poster

PG&E has stated that no refunds are going to anyone, be it dead phones or fridges full of rotted food are the PG&E customer's problems.

A certain meter is blowing up.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:36 AM   #151
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It sure does. We, at the northeast corner of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington had smoke from quite a ways up in British Columbia last year.

We have a generator so at least the fridge will keep working. I'm looking to expand the number of circuits on it so maybe TV and internet will work!
That's nothing, really. We've seen smoke from BC fires here in Winnipeg, some 2,000 km away.

I still remember the day the ash from Mount St. Helens came through in 1980.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:19 AM   #152
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Thus demonstrating the benefits of deregulation. Don't know why anyone would think that's a bad idea...
I suspect the utility was highly regulated.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:05 AM   #153
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
That's nothing, really. We've seen smoke from BC fires here in Winnipeg, some 2,000 km away.

I still remember the day the ash from Mount St. Helens came through in 1980.
Due to the prevailing winds, we never got St. Helens ash, despite being only a hundred miles or so away. Except, that is, for our car being covered with on May 18th when we were traveling nearby.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:13 AM   #154
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
PG&E has stated that no refunds are going to anyone, be it dead phones or fridges full of rotted food are the PG&E customer's problems.

A certain meter is blowing up.
//Slight hijack//

My home owner's insurance covered a freezer full of food that went bad when we suffered a power loss after a hurricane, but I assume that because it was caused by a hurricane, not an intentional decision by the power company.

I'd wager if I went through the fine print of my power bill there's a clause that says "LOL sucks to be you" for anything I lose because the power is out.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:31 AM   #155
wasapi
Philosopher

I just cleaned out the freezer and refrigerator. Probably lost a couple of hundred dollars in food. From what I understand from neighbors, my home owners insurance is reimbursing those of us in this situation. No questions asked, no receipt necessary. A claim a neighbor filed, was paid by the next day. No, PG&E doesn't want to hear about it.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:34 AM   #156
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I just cleaned out the freezer and refrigerator. Probably lost a couple of hundred dollars in food. From what I understand from neighbors, my home owners insurance is reimbursing those of us in this situation. No questions asked, no receipt necessary. A claim a neighbor filed, was paid by the next day. No, PG&E doesn't want to hear about it.
That's how it worked with us and our home owners insurance after the hurricane; pretty much on the honor system up to iirc 500 bucks. If you wanted to claim more then that (which I'd wager isn't that many household) you had to actually put in a claim and, I assume, be able to support the number somehow.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:09 PM   #157
crescent
Illuminator

The California wildfire culprit no one's talking about: invasive grasses

Quote:
There are dozens of these weeds, but ecologists are most worried about a few species; these include cheatgrass, red brome, ripgut brome, and medusahead, according to Jutta Burger, science program director at the California Invasive Plant Council. Especially in Southern California, many coastal and inland valley hills are coated with these plants, the muted green of scrubland and chaparral receding to make way for golden-brown grasses. “In a lot of our landscapes we have a carpet of these fine fuels,” says Burger, “We didn’t have that historically.”

Cheatgrass and other annuals are highly competitive and extremely flammable. While other annual species, like native wildflowers, wilt and rot after going to seed in spring, the grasses keep standing. Grasses are rich in silica, which makes their blades sturdy enough to stick around into the summer and fall, long after they lose their greenness. When a fire sparks, they become kindling, fueling the blaze until it can catch onto woodier shrubs and trees.

Then, after a fire, the grasses are the first to sprout back up. They grow in densely, beating out slowing-growing shrubs. And when shrubs and other native perennials do return, they can no longer take root because the flammable grasses increase fire frequency. “The shrubs don’t really have a chance to mature and drop seeds [with more frequent fires] so the seedbank can’t allow for reestablishment,” says Burger. “Instead, you have a conversion to a grassland through a more rapid fire cycle.” With two or three fires in a row happening less than fires years apart, a coastal sage scrub plant community can be replaced by invasive grasses.
Nasty stuff. It can convert shrublands into grasslands in just one or two fire cycles. The brome grass seeds survive the fires, the other plants have not even produced seeds yet. The brome grasslands can reburn in just a year or two. Further east, they are burning up Joshua trees and Saguaro cacti, converting those desert areas into grasslands with few cacti.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events