ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:54 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

The Charley Project

While looking for something else, I came across The Charley Project website.

http://charleyproject.org/

Thousands of missing people, who have vanished, their stories told by others. Though the site allows you to narrow down location, the sheer volume in any area, is staggering.

While many had 'people of interest', or foul play was expected in their disappearance, many, many, seemed to have just suddenly not shown up for work, to pick up their kids, or they just stopped returning calls. Like vanishing into thin air. A man says goodbye to his family to head for work. He never arrived, and has never been seen again. Or, daycare calls to pick up a sick child. Mom says she is on her way, but is never seen again. No trace ever found.

These stories are upsetting to me. Personally, I have never known anyone who vanished. Has anyone here?
Old 4th November 2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

That is utterly astonishing. It's getting on for one a day by the time you get into the most recent decade which is presumably the best recorded.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:15 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A college friend decided to take up missionary work to convert the natives to his brand of Protestant Christianity. In Sudan. During their civil war. No official findings ever determined but pretty much everyone's guessing he's not living la vida loca somewhere and just forgot to return phone calls.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:29 AM   #4
wasapi
Philosopher

It seems that it must be a level of hell, to love someone, and to not know where they are, or if they are alive. I know there are parents out there, who will, for years, wonder every time the phone rings, or there is a knock on the door. I don't know how they do it and maintain any sanity. I have had cats vanish, and that alone made me nuts with despair and worry. Often, one's imagination of what happened takes them to a very dark place. My cat showed up 6 weeks later. Had she not, I know it would tormented me forever.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:32 AM   #5
dann
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
A father of friends of mine, and I guess I wouldn't be out of line calling him a friend myself, developed Alzheimer's. He was living with his son and daughter in law. He apparently walked out of the house one day and has never been seen again. No trace. That's been a good 5 years ago now.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok I came here to post "Je suis Charley" but I realise that this isn't nearly funny enough a topic for that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It seems that it must be a level of hell, to love someone, and to not know where they are, or if they are alive.
Hell, my wife came back from work hours late one day because she decided to go shopping, and it was literally agony. I can't begin to fathom what it must be for these people.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
A father of friends of mine, and I guess I wouldn't be out of line calling him a friend myself, developed Alzheimer's. He was living with his son and daughter in law. He apparently walked out of the house one day and has never been seen again. No trace. That's been a good 5 years ago now.
It's not uncommon for people with Alzheimer's to wander off somewhere and get lost, potentially dying in the most unlikely of places.
Old 4th November 2019, 12:58 PM   #10
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's not uncommon for people with Alzheimer's to wander off somewhere and get lost, potentially dying in the most unlikely of places.
Yes. I once picked up an elderly woman walking late at night, she had managed to walk out of the caretakers. She asked me to take her to dance ballet for the Royal family in London. It turns out she had been a Prima Ballerina back in the 20's and 30's. But I got her back safe. She had been wandering into the rural wooded forest when I saw her, and am aware of how it may have ended for her.

There are plenty of these stories on the site. But the ones that chill me are the ones who just disappear. No clues.
Old 4th November 2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Rolfe

One of the legal cases I'm interested in at the moment (details in the Trials and Errors subforum) is of a woman who disappeared between the pavement outside her place of work, and arriving at her desk, a walk of perhaps two minutes. She was never seen again. This happened nearly ten years ago.

A co-worker whom she'd been having an affair with was convicted of murder purely on account of his own inexplicable behaviour both that day and the following day, behaviour which only makes sense as someone taking detailed and calculated steps to conceal a body. But although he is in prison, she has never been found. I wonder if that sort of case is still included in these lists?
Old 4th November 2019, 01:14 PM   #12
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I'd be willing to put up good money on a significant proportion of the missing adults having some sort of mental issues -- Alzheimer's, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, severe depression, etc. -- and either disappeared deliberately and committed suicide, or ended up living and subsequently dying on the street somewhere.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 01:41 PM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I had my nephew staying at my place for free while he worked some things out. He did, and continued staying on. Not so bad because I needed some occasional help around the house due to temporary physical limitations.

Then, he began disappearing for 3-5 days at a time, leaving me with no information and taking care of his dog. I texted and called (voice mail) but received no responses. I had a good idea of who he was with and about where he was -- not getting into trouble as far as I know, but just spending time with his partner (who I also knew). I told him I needed to know these things. After several of these disappearances I suggested he find his own quarters because the stress of them was getting to me quite strongly.

Now he's gone and I have had no contact from him at all. But his Dad apparently does, so someone does know his situation at any time. I had enjoyed his company, but now I'm left a little angry and bitter.
Old 4th November 2019, 01:52 PM   #14
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

My uncle went to work one day in 1965 and vanished.

In 1976 he resurfaced in the Canary Islands.

To the day he died he never would say where he had gone or why.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 02:02 PM   #15
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post

I had a great uncle who disappeared without trace. Eventually, he resurfaced in South Africa with a wife and two kids. Then he did a disappearing act again leaving them in the lurch. Then he turned up at my parents door out of the blue years later on Christmas Day no less. And promptly vanished again without trace. Nobody has a foggiest clue whatever became of him. Since all of his many siblings are long dead, it is a safe bet he is too. Where or when or how or why is anyone's guess.

It seems that there exists a small subset of humanity that do this for reasons that cannot be fathomed.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 02:16 PM   #16
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

My Great Grandfather (Grandmother's Father) went to Australia on a business trip and vanished without a trace.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #17
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
One of the legal cases I'm interested in at the moment (details in the Trials and Errors subforum) is of a woman who disappeared between the pavement outside her place of work, and arriving at her desk, a walk of perhaps two minutes. She was never seen again. This happened nearly ten years ago.

A co-worker whom she'd been having an affair with was convicted of murder purely on account of his own inexplicable behaviour both that day and the following day, behaviour which only makes sense as someone taking detailed and calculated steps to conceal a body. But although he is in prison, she has never been found. I wonder if that sort of case is still included in these lists?
Some of the ones that I read, were cases similar. It is my understanding that a missing person case, as long as the person (assumed dead), is never found, the case remains open.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:48 PM   #18
Ron Obvious
Scholar

The only case I'm personally familiar with is in there. A woman who disappeared nearly 30 years ago from my workplace. She was declared legally dead 7 years later, and her husband was arrested for her murder 3 years after that, despite her body never having been found. He's currently doing essentially life. I don't know what evidence convicted him 10 years after her disappearance without a body, but there seems little doubt that he's guilty.

I remember we formed search parties to look for her car and we did find it, but no trace of the woman herself.

I hadn't thought about that case in a really long time.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:25 PM   #19
Armitage72
Illuminator

I had to go hunting for a story i remembered from earlier this year.

Workers demolishing a former supermarket in Iowa found a decomposed body behind one of the freezers. It was identified as a store employee who disappeared 10 years ago after leaving his home. Workers would climb on top of the freezer, and it's thought that he accidentally fell 12 feet into the 18 inch gap behind the freezer, became trapped, and the noise of the freezer drowned out any cries for help.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #20
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
The only case I'm personally familiar with is in there. A woman who disappeared nearly 30 years ago from my workplace. She was declared legally dead 7 years later, and her husband was arrested for her murder 3 years after that, despite her body never having been found. He's currently doing essentially life. I don't know what evidence convicted him 10 years after her disappearance without a body, but there seems little doubt that he's guilty.

I remember we formed search parties to look for her car and we did find it, but no trace of the woman herself.

I hadn't thought about that case in a really long time.
There was a similar case here in Sweden a couple of years ago. Except it turns out that the police didn't do a sufficiently thorough examination of the missing persons bedroom and missed the large bloodstain under the bed mattress. Still the the blood and a bullet lodged in one of the walls wasn't enough to convict him during a trial.

In the end, as a last ditch effort to find the body a volunteer organization called "missing people" helped, which helps organize searches for missing persons (duh). They were lucky enough to find the body out in the surroundings forest, off the beaten path, thanks to a local hunter who knew the area relatively well.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:33 PM   #21
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I have walked out of my life on several occasions. Leaving whatever I had that wasn't a bag of my best clothes and some small useful items. I didn't always tell too many people I was moving on.

Apartments with furniture and the phone still connected probably had a few guessing something went badly. Reality, I didn't need that stuff anymore.

I'm fine, doing better than ever now. It was just time to upset the apple cart and find a new life.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:31 PM   #22
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I saw someone do that. His cat was very concerned.

Ditch people all you like, but animals depend on us for their very survival and can't say a word of protest.
Old 5th November 2019, 04:57 AM   #23
catsmate
No longer the 1

That is utterly astonishing. It's getting on for one a day by the time you get into the most recent decade which is presumably the best recorded.
Back in '99 I was assigned a newbie to mentor for a couple of days. On the second day he borrowed my access card, went across the road for lunch and has never been seen again.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:59 AM   #24
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I had a great uncle who disappeared without trace. Eventually, he resurfaced in South Africa with a wife and two kids. Then he did a disappearing act again leaving them in the lurch. Then he turned up at my parents door out of the blue years later on Christmas Day no less. And promptly vanished again without trace. Nobody has a foggiest clue whatever became of him. Since all of his many siblings are long dead, it is a safe bet he is too. Where or when or how or why is anyone's guess.

It seems that there exists a small subset of humanity that do this for reasons that cannot be fathomed.
Has a old style Police Box been seen nearby?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:39 AM   #25
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
I saw someone do that. His cat was very concerned.

Ditch people all you like, but animals depend on us for their very survival and can't say a word of protest.
Never kids nor critters left in a bad state when I went. There was a limit to when was acceptable exit time.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:27 AM   #26
Rolfe

It's inexcusable to leave an animal without making some arrangements to care for it.

I mentioned Suzanne Pilley above, who vanished on her way into work, between the front door and her desk. One of the reasons police felt they could discount a deliberate disappearance on her part was that she had left her cat at home in her flat and made no arrangements for anyone to care for it. I think she had goldfish as well. Her parents confirmed that she was extremely fond of the cat (and indeed of the fish) and would never have left without making sure they were looked after.

Of course cynics might say that Suzanne and other people who have vanished would know that someone would find the animals and arrange for them to be looked after. so I suppose it's hard to say it proves anything either way. (Perhaps the fact that Suzanne had left her passport in her flat and had withdrawn no money from her bank account was more telling.)

Last edited by Rolfe; 5th November 2019 at 07:30 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #27
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I found this thread soon after wasapi started it, and opened the link. Over the next few hours, I dipped in and out of the cases on that website, and found that I was becoming more and more horrified and in emotional pain over what I was reading – and yet so , morbidly fascinated, that I kept returning to read more.

Something that was mentioned led me to the Moor MurdersWP, which while not more horrid than many of the cases in The Charley Project, chilled me to the bone.

I then returned to The Charley Project and read until I could read no more.

We think we're getting better as a species? Who are we kidding?
Old 5th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #28
Rolfe

I think you need to fix that link, Xterra, it's Moors Murders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders
Old 5th November 2019, 08:48 AM   #29
Rolfe

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It seems that it must be a level of hell, to love someone, and to not know where they are, or if they are alive. I know there are parents out there, who will, for years, wonder every time the phone rings, or there is a knock on the door. I don't know how they do it and maintain any sanity. I have had cats vanish, and that alone made me nuts with despair and worry. Often, one's imagination of what happened takes them to a very dark place. My cat showed up 6 weeks later. Had she not, I know it would tormented me forever.

People probably saw the thread in Community from over two years ago originally entitled "Jori has vanished" but subsequently renamed "Jori is home!" Eight weeks, finally traced living wild on a farm in the hills, having got hopelessly lost.

During the thread I was feeling guilty about feeling so bad when "he's only a cat". I brought up the matter of an aunt of mine who met every steamer calling at the island were she lived, for months (I don't know about years) after her only child failed to return. Of course this was 1945 and he was in the RAF and he'd specifically failed to return after a bombing raid over the English Channel so there wasn't a huge mystery about it. Nevertheless she initially refused to give up hope and when they erected the war memorial in the town she refused to allow her son's name to be put on it. (His name is there though, in its correct alphabetical position, so she must either have given in or been over-ruled.)

Clinging on to hope in the face of virtual certainty of death seems to be a human characteristic.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:00 AM   #30
TomB
Muse

This one lived a couple blocks away from me. It was 1972. I was four at the time. http://charleyproject.org/case/richard-william-griener

There was another kid in 1976 abducted and killed by William "Freight Train" Guatney. He was in my kindergarten class a couple years earlier. I remember a memorial assembly in grade school where a memorial was dedicated. There's a park named after him now in what was a vacant area of scrubby woods near where he lived. We used to ride our bikes on trails through there and the teenagers used to go there to drink and smoke.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 09:13 AM   #31
Rolfe

I suppose the sheer numbers somewhat disguise the fact that there will be wildly differing demographics involved.
  • People with Alzheimers who wandered off and perhaps died of exposure
  • People who met with an accident in a remote location
  • People who "did a Reggie Perrin", that is simply walked out of their lives to make a new start
  • Murder victims
And I suppose there are other categories. All must be terribly upsetting to their loved ones though. I don't know which is worst really, and of course for many people it may be impossible to know which category to put them in.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:26 PM   #32
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I think you need to fix that link, Xterra, it's Moors Murders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders

Thank you, Rolfe.

PSA: The edit period passed on my previous post, so use Rolfe's link if you're interested.

Last edited by xterra; 5th November 2019 at 12:29 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 09:24 PM   #33
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

When the newspaper went online we noticed that certain minor news stories were attracting page views from all over. They might have had headlines like "Unidentified man killed crossing street" or "Police seek public's help to ID man found dead in ditch." I finally decided families or private detectives were combing through these reports daily, chasing leads all over the country.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 10:23 PM   #34
Myles
Thinker

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I have walked out of my life on several occasions. Leaving whatever I had that wasn't a bag of my best clothes and some small useful items. I didn't always tell too many people I was moving on.

Apartments with furniture and the phone still connected probably had a few guessing something went badly. Reality, I didn't need that stuff anymore.

I'm fine, doing better than ever now. It was just time to upset the apple cart and find a new life.

Same here. I bugged out twice without notice to my contemporaries about 50 years ago, once in 69, again in 71.

In the haunted house thread here #31

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=339808

I mentioned my landlord Bob. About 3 months after I left the house I was living on 14th Street in Atlanta and left with a group of hippies in a converted school bus for parts unknown in 1971. We drove north on Peachtree St. When we caught the redlight at the Cathedral of the Christ The King, I spotted Bob walking north on the sidewalk with a distressed look on his face, a long way from the haunted house in Inman Park. I returned for a few days during thanksgiving week and read a missing persons article in the Atlanta Journal about Bob. Never heard any follow up.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:42 PM   #35
korenyx
Graduate Poster

During the search after the Columbia space shuttle explosion searchers found bodies that were not the shuttle crew, but I never saw any follow up.
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events