ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Animal Rights activists abuse blind dude for having guide dog

Slightly left field.

Admittedly a bit tabloidy

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...43c3a94bf99cd4

Quote:
‘They should be out there playing in the fields’: Animal rights activists abuse blind man for having guide dog

Animal rights activists have attacked a blind man for having a guide dog, saying the animal did not give its “consent” and that it should be “out there playing in the fields” instead of working.

Scottish man Jonathan Attenborough was born without sight in his right eye and lost sight in his left eye five years ago due to aggressive glaucoma.

He was paired with his guide dog Sam, a three-year-old labrador, in April last year. The highly trained service animal is his “constant companion” and allows the 30-year-old to live a more fulfilling life.

But according to Mr Attenborough, he has faced a series of verbal attacks from strangers — and he fears more abuse. Another blind man said he had also faced hostility.

“I was very surprised the first time it happened, somebody approached me and made a claim that I was cruel for having a guide dog,” Mr Attenborough told STV News.

“To start with I thought they were joking. I asked them why and they said they were an animal rights campaigner, and to me it’s completely bemusing, but they said the dogs should have to give their consent to do jobs like this. They had a couple of issues with the welfare of them as well.”

Mr Attenborough said the second time it happened he was catching up with a friend, who is also a guide dog owner.

“We were sitting at a bar at a local hotel at the weekend and this middle-aged woman approached us,” he said.

“She had come up to order drinks at the bar and me and my friend were just sitting there minding our own business. She was actually quite aggressive, claiming that we were cruel for being guide dog owners. (She said) these dogs shouldn’t be lying on the floor of a bar, they should be out there playing in the fields — this was at like one o’clock in the morning.”

The woman “was right up in our faces, really sort of screaming and we kind of feared it would have escalated further if her husband hadn’t ushered her away”, according to Mr Attenborough.

He denied the dogs are mistreated at all.

“These dogs are probably the most well looked after dogs that you can imagine,” he said. “Their nutrition is top-notch, they get the top-notch medical care, they get check-ups all the time, so for me that’s a non-argument.”

He added, “Sam is like my best buddy, we go everywhere together, he’s never left on his own, and he’s with me 24/7 so for me I can’t understand where these campaigners are coming from.”

Robert Meikle was matched with his guide dog, a black labrador named Winnie, in July last year. He told the Scottish broadcaster he had been “approached and asked why I think it’s moral for me to have a guide dog”.

“To be honest, I think it’s completely inappropriate for anyone to feel it’s acceptable to approach people who maybe are disabled and own a guide dog or any service animal,” the Glasgow resident said.

“There’s so much I rely on (the guide dog) for. She has improved my confidence significantly and I have to say, with guide dogs and with Winnie particularly, I don’t think I would be here without them.”
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 10:22 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If these "activists" care so much for the guide dogs' rights they should be willing to donate their eyes to the blind, thus rendering the dogs' labor unnecessary.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:46 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I find it quite humorous they are talking about dogs giving consent, and the insinuation they a re under duress

I have a good mate who needs one of those motorised wheel chairs due to a situation I won't bore people with

He has a dog as a helper to open doors and things (Amazing animals)

I reckon if it came down to saving me or his dog in a fire, in his wheel chair he would leave me to burn, given his love of the thing, and I would understand
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 11:02 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm pretty sure the domestication of the dog happened too long ago to overturn. I mean, it's a tradition considerably longer than monotheism, or writing. Possibly older than agriculture. It's well-established, is what I'm saying. Not something that can be argued away by being rude in a pub a few times.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:17 AM   #5
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I find it quite humorous they are talking about dogs giving consent
Especially since they are the ones demanding the dogs perform certain activities (playing in the fields) without seemingly bothering to ask the dogs' consent. At least these eco-fascists aren't shooting up mosques or something (yet).
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 9th November 2019 at 04:20 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:44 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Also, these are working dogs. They are going to be happiest when well-trained and working. As far as the dog is concerned, it’s almost like a game.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
(She said) these dogs shouldn’t be lying on the floor of a bar, they should be out there playing in the fields — this was at like one o’clock in the morning.”

“Playing in the fields”? They should be out with a pack of other dogs, hunting down some unfortunate creature and ripping it to shreds.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Also, these are working dogs. They are going to be happiest when well-trained and working. As far as the dog is concerned, it’s almost like a game.
That would seem to suggest their retirement is pretty awful for them?
Old 9th November 2019, 04:56 AM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That would seem to suggest their retirement is pretty awful for them?

I’ve known people like that.

Old 9th November 2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I’ve known people like that.
True.
Old 10th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #11
CORed
Philosopher

“Playing in the fields”? They should be out with a pack of other dogs, hunting down some unfortunate creature and ripping it to shreds.
From what I know of dogs, they'd be happiest at a landfill, gorging themselves on the stinkiest, rottenest garbage imaginable. This wouldn't really be healthy for them, mind you, but they'd be happy, at least until they got sick.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 04:02 PM   #12
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
From what I know of dogs, they'd be happiest at a landfill, gorging themselves on the stinkiest, rottenest garbage imaginable. This wouldn't really be healthy for them, mind you, but they'd be happy, at least until they got sick.
This is proposed to be how dogs became domesticated: their wild predecessors began to hang out at refuse heaps near human settlements and gradually a two way mutually useful relationship was worked out.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

It's been suggested that nobody ever actually domesticated cats on purpose. They hung around human habitation where there were grain stores and killed the moce that were attracted to the grain stores. And somehow the cute and friendly ones had a survival advantage. (A friend of mine wrote a song about this - "survival of the cutest is nature's iron law". It was contrasting the way everyone was trying to kill the Alien but simultaneously trying to save the cat. If you look like a bug-eyed monster "you won't get cuddled by Sigourney Weaver in her vest." I wish I could remember it all.)
Old 10th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #14
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The dog is a human creation, engineered over time. Most dogs prefer to be part of a human family. Working dogs enjoy having a job. They want to please the humans. I feel that animal rights activists should give special dispensation for the human-dog relationship.
Old 10th November 2019, 04:50 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It's been suggested that nobody ever actually domesticated cats on purpose.
It was clearly done on a dare.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:24 PM   #16
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Rex: Wait a second. Before we attack each other and tear ourselves to shreds like a pack of maniacs, let's just open the sack first and see what's actually in it. It might not even be worth the trouble.
Igor: Alright.
Rex: A rancid apple core, two worm-eaten banana peels, a moldy rice cake, a dried-up pickle, tin of sardine bones, a pile of broken egg-shells, an old smushed-up rotten gizzard with maggots all over it...
Chief: Okay, it's worth it.
[All dogs proceed to fight]

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:07 AM   #17
autumn1971
Illuminator

It's been suggested that nobody ever actually domesticated cats on purpose. They hung around human habitation where there were grain stores and killed the moce that were attracted to the grain stores. And somehow the cute and friendly ones had a survival advantage. (A friend of mine wrote a song about this - "survival of the cutest is nature's iron law". It was contrasting the way everyone was trying to kill the Alien but simultaneously trying to save the cat. If you look like a bug-eyed monster "you won't get cuddled by Sigourney Weaver in her vest." I wish I could remember it all.)
I would be Sigourney Weaver’s cat
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:12 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'll never understand animal rights activist issue with domesticated animals.

If humans didn't "use" for lack of a better term dogs and cats and horses and cows they wouldn't be out in the wild... they wouldn't exist.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:13 AM   #19
Rolfe

Quote:
I would be Sigourney Weaver’s cat

I think that was the general gist of the song, yes.
Old 11th November 2019, 09:25 AM   #20
autumn1971
Illuminator

I think that was the general gist of the song, yes.
Oh. I meant I’m volunteering.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:30 AM   #21
Rolfe

So was my friend, I think. He was on the rebound at the time, his girlfriend having left him and taken the cat. He was musing that the girlfriend liked the cat a lot better than she liked him and he'd quite like to swap places.
Old 11th November 2019, 09:30 AM   #22
wobs
Master Poster

Sounds like the activists have jumped the shark, without asking the shark.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events