ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-Islam incidents , mass shootings , Norway incidents , shooting incidents

Old 10th August 2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Mosque attacked in Norway

White Norwegian shooter, local to the area, with two shotguns and a pistol.

He only managed to wound one before he was stopped.

Very lucky. This could have gone really bad.

Norwegian media reports he was fascinated with the New Zealand attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49308016
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Ryokan

Shooter was stopped by a 75 year old unarmed man.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The news article you linked said the 75-year-old man was the only injured victim, and that many members of the congregation overwhelmed the shooter and stopped him.

That's definitely a good thing. Going by the description of the shooter's weapons this could've been a massacre. I tend to think that because it wasn't successful, it won't get much press.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The news article you linked said the 75-year-old man was the only injured victim, and that many members of the congregation overwhelmed the shooter and stopped him.

That's definitely a good thing. Going by the description of the shooter's weapons this could've been a massacre. I tend to think that because it wasn't successful, it won't get much press.
Norwegian media reports that it was the injured 75-year-old who subdued the shooter.

Police also reports a dead person found in an apartment nearby that is connected to the shooting.

Last edited by Ryokan; 10th August 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10th August 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

His VIking ancestors are proud of him.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Ryokan

The dead person found is a young woman connected to the shooter.

Girlfriend, perhaps?
Old 10th August 2019, 03:53 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like a "let's get 'em" moment.

Lat time that happened in Europe it was by American soldiers on leave.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 07:56 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Good guy without a gun stops bad guy with a gun.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 08:15 PM   #9
Ryokan

The young woman killed had a family relation with the shooter.
Old 10th August 2019, 09:18 PM   #10
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Sounds like a "let's get 'em" moment.

Lat time that happened in Europe it was by American soldiers on leave.
Actally the last time it happened in Norway was when 77 were killed in 2011 by a single gunman who also used a car bomb.

Or am I missing some subtle political commentary here?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 11:49 PM   #11
dann
Philosopher

I guess he is thinking of the 75-year-old anti-terrrorist and this:
Americans who thwarted train terror attack become French citizens (France 24, Feb. 1, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 10th August 2019 at 11:51 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 11:57 PM   #12
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Good guy without a gun stops bad guy with a gun two shotguns and a pistol.

FTFY
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:31 AM   #13
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Maybe we should make people citizens as rewards for heroic deeds, too, like the French do.

Provided the Good Guy Without a Gun already is a citizen, of course .
Old 11th August 2019, 05:29 AM   #14
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The shooter apparently cited American mass shooters as inspiration.
Article in Norwegian, so you will probably have to use Google Translate.

ETA: he apparently killed his 17 year old little sister.

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Innocent people are never to blame, but the religion of Islam brainwashes from the earliest age with complete falsehoods. Then there are sufficient numbers to use these against the perceived enemy. this is uncontroversial when simply observing recent attacks in America Europe and elsewhere. Far right extremists attack seldom and are immediately made accountable by their communities. Islamic terrorists are ignored by their communities for whatever reason.
You realise this was an attack on Muslims, not by Muslims, right ?

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 11th August 2019 at 06:01 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 05:38 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The shooter apparently cited American mass shooters as inspiration.

Article in Norwegian, so you will probably have to use Google Translate.

You realise this was an attack on Muslims, not by Muslims, right ?
Pah you think that should make a difference to a good old rant !?!
Old 11th August 2019, 06:58 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Pah you think that should make a difference to a good old bigoted rant !?!
Fixed that for you!
Old 11th August 2019, 07:21 AM   #17
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Far right extremists attack seldom
The FBI just recognised the far-right as a terrorist threat due to the increasing number of "lone wolf" terrorist attacks from Trump sympathisers and others on the far right. You may have missed the recent mass shootings and the bombs sent to left-leaning politicians, for instance.
Old 11th August 2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Chanakya

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
... he apparently killed his 17 year old little sister ...

Somehow this snippet seems the most disturbing to me. Sure, it's all crazy, all of it, but killing strangers, even killing one's colleagues or friends or SO, all that somehow one sees as kind of par in a crazy demented world peopled by crazy demented people. But this killing one's kid sister, who does that? This stands out even against this backdrop of craziness.

Last edited by zooterkin; 17th August 2019 at 01:42 PM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Ryokan

The girl killed was his step-sister.

The age of the man who stopped him has been corrected to 65. His nickname in the mosque was Grandfather.

The shooter shot through a glass door to get in when the man charged him and put his arms around him, holding on tightly until another older man who was outside could come hit him in the head.

He got a small injury in the eye during the struggle.

Now that's a hero.

Last edited by Ryokan; 11th August 2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11th August 2019, 11:55 AM   #20
Ryokan

The step-sister was adopted from East Asia.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:03 PM   #21
Chanakya

Oh. Okay, that explains a lot, I guess, as far as that. To the extent madness can be explained at all, that is.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #22
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
That reference to Valhalla? First, it was factual, actually about this person. And second, it was in response to your comment. Seems apt to me, the Valhalla thing, unlike your rant.
The reference to Valhalla is quite important. It is known that some European white supremacists like to adopt new-age imitations of archaic Norse or Germanic paganism because they consider these "original white religions", unlike the Abrahamic faiths which originated from Jews and/or brown people.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:35 PM   #23
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I guess he is thinking of the 75-year-old anti-terrrorist and this:
Americans who thwarted train terror attack become French citizens (France 24, Feb. 1, 2019)
Ah, funny thing is that I thought it was the old “America won WWII in Europe” boast.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:32 PM   #24
Chanakya

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The reference to Valhalla is quite important. It is known that some European white supremacists like to adopt new-age imitations of archaic Norse or Germanic paganism because they consider these "original white religions", unlike the Abrahamic faiths which originated from Jews and/or brown people.

You know, in some bizarre kind of way, this does make sense! Method to madness, kind of thing.

I've often wondered how it is the white supremecist types reconcile worshipping a wholly brown ass, and aiming to base their lives on (some of) what this brown man of yore had allegedly taught. Those times I'd actually asked it of them, I've never got a clear answer.

So well, this does away with that contradiction, and goes back to sacrificing to the allfather instead. Like I said, makes sense in a weird kind of way.
Old 11th August 2019, 07:14 PM   #25
Ryokan

I wouldn't put too much into his statement of "Valhalla awaits". He's Norwegian. It's part of our culture. It simply meant he was planning to die in battle.

His co-workers say he had become more religious lately, religious meaning Christian.
Old 11th August 2019, 07:57 PM   #26
Cain
Straussian

Even though Muslims were the intended target, I'm grateful and happy the attack was thwarted. What type of gun did the good guy use?
Old 11th August 2019, 08:40 PM   #27
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Even though Muslims were the intended target, I'm grateful and happy the attack was thwarted. What type of gun did the good guy use?
The one he was born with.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:47 PM   #28
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Innocent people are never to blame, but the religion of Islam brainwashes from the earliest age with complete falsehoods. Then there are sufficient numbers to use these against the perceived enemy. this is uncontroversial when simply observing recent attacks in America Europe and elsewhere. Far right extremists attack seldom and are immediately made accountable by their communities. Islamic terrorists are ignored by their communities for whatever reason.
This is not a bad point. No one will balk at call this guy a terrorist or point out his beliefs played a direct role in bringing him to act. Of course they did, this is without question.

Whenever a Muslim does something like that, neither is true. Instead the tune is: "don't blame Islam", "terrorism has no religion", "poverty", "social exclusion", "Israel" and the like.

Nope. The cause in both instances is a xenophobic world view, amplified by the echo chamber that may also have a religious significance.

McHrozni
Old 11th August 2019, 11:31 PM   #29
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
This is not a bad point. No one will balk at call this guy a terrorist or point out his beliefs played a direct role in bringing him to act. Of course they did, this is without question.
You bet we won't. The shooter has been identified as a Christian, which means his actions can be entirely explained by it. It's not extremists who happen to belong to a particular religion that we have worry about, but Christianity itself.

The only question is, how do we cope?

Quote:
Whenever a Muslim does something like that, neither is true. Instead the tune is: "don't blame Islam", "terrorism has no religion", "poverty", "social exclusion", "Israel" and the like.
Correct. Whenever a Christian Muslim does something like this it's always because they were mentally ill, or had been oppressed by godless liberals and brown people Christians for too long and had just had enough.

Quote:
Nope. The cause in both instances is a xenophobic world view, amplified by the echo chamber that may also have a religious significance.
Well sure, but there's one religion that stands out as being more xenophobic. One religion that has been responsible for more genocides than any other - Christianity. And you can bet that no one will balk at calling it out for that.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:01 AM   #30
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
You bet we won't. The shooter has been identified as a Christian, which means his actions can be entirely explained by it.
His actions will be entirely explained by Christianity when the shooter will be citing his Christian faith alone as the justification for his deeds.

You know, like the unmentionables.

Just saying.

Quote:
Correct. Whenever a Christian Muslim does something like this it's always because they were mentally ill, or had been oppressed by godless liberals and brown people Christians for too long and had just had enough.
Those are the usual talking points when a Muslim is involved, true. I happen to disagree with those. Don't you?

Quote:
Well sure, but there's one religion that stands out as being more xenophobic. One religion that has been responsible for more genocides than any other - Christianity.
Really? Can you provide the methodology you used to quantify xenophobia of various religions and the methodology you used to determine which religion was guilty of most genocides?

Don't spare me the details, I'm all ears.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 12th August 2019 at 12:31 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:28 AM   #31
Ryokan

21-year-old Philip Manshaus will later today be charged with murder and terrorism.

He has so far refused to explain himself to the police. His lawyer says he will plead not guilty to the charges.

Last edited by Ryokan; 12th August 2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:39 AM   #32
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
What type of gun did the good guy use?
Biceps brachii. Dual-wielded.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:08 AM   #33
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
His actions will be entirely explained by Christianity when the shooter will be citing his Christian faith alone as the justification for his deeds.

You know, like the unmentionables.

Just saying.

Those are the usual talking points when a Muslim is involved, true. I happen to disagree with those. Don't you?

Really? Can you provide the methodology you used to quantify xenophobia of various religions and the methodology you used to determine which religion was guilty of most genocides?

Don't spare me the details, I'm all ears.

McHrozni
wow, you totally missed the sarcasm didn't you. If you seriously believe what you say, you're living in a different world to the rest of us.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:07 AM   #34
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If you seriously believe what you say, you're living in a different world to the rest of us.
Not really, it's just that I think the fig leaf of religion isn't enough to make a xenophobic supremacist ideology inherently benign "because all religions are like that".

But you're free to believe whatever you want, no sweat. Just ask mr.Dubay.

McHrozni
Old 12th August 2019, 04:47 AM   #35
Ryokan

Philip Manshaus arrived at court with a face that obviously shows he lost a fight.

https://www.nrk.no/ostlandssendingen...ten-1.14657340

His plan was to go down in a blaze of glory and live on in infamy, and ended up being held down by a 65-year-old and beat into oblivion by a 75-year-old.

Last edited by Ryokan; 12th August 2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:21 AM   #36
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Katie Hopkins putting in a strong performance for "worst hot take on the Norwegian mosque shooting" contest.

In response to reports that weapons were found at the mosque, Hopkins tweets:

It should be noted that the weapons found at the mosque are almost certainly those that the attempted mass murdered brought with him.

Gotta admire the hustle here, few race-baiters show such effort.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th August 2019 at 05:25 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:31 AM   #37
Ryokan

Yes, the shooter dropped both shotguns during the struggle. They are the weapons found.

However, I'm aware of no laws that make it illegal to store weapons in a mosque, as long as they are stored securely. Just like any other place.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:53 AM   #38
dann
Philosopher

I wouldn't put too much into his statement of "Valhalla awaits". He's Norwegian. It's part of our culture. It simply meant he was planning to die in battle.

I've never heard a Norwegian say or seen one write that until now.

Quote:
His co-workers say he had become more religious lately, religious meaning Christian.

When white supremacists suddenly become Christians, it's usually a racist rather than a religious thing. It's not because they suddenly fall in love with Christ's message of brotherly love; it's because Christianity is Norwegian! It's like when all of a sudden they become obsessed with milk or pork: 'This is our Aryan culture! Love it or leave it!'

Last edited by dann; 12th August 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:58 AM   #39
dann
Philosopher

Norwegian police received tip-off about terror suspect one year ago (TV2, Aug. 12, 2019)

Last edited by dann; 12th August 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:03 AM   #40
dann
Philosopher

Philip Manshaus arrived at court with a face that obviously shows he lost a fight.

It looks like a combination of bruises and Goth makeup!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events