ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st October 2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The Death of Deadspin

This somewhat related to a previous thread about Gawker being sued successfully by a Peter Thiel funded Hulk Hogan: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=304944

Since then Gawker was closed and the other Gawker sites have been passed from one owner to another. Recently they were bought by a private equity firm and the new boss did not like the old editorial direction.

Deadspin was a weird site under the Gawker umbrella. It was nominally a sports site, but if you really wanted sports news you could get that better elsewhere. It was more like a sports bar than a sports news source. The community was more important than the sports. This is in contrast with Jalopnik which is one of the better car news sites. Well, the new owner wanted it to stick to sports. So, now it seems that most of the staff is gone and they have taken down the ability to comment.

All of this played out in the comments on various Gawker sites and in the twitter feed of their union GMG Union.

Is anyone else going to miss Deadspin?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 02:48 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully they'll be able to get retrained as software developers and find lucrative and fulfilling jobs in that sector. Like coal miners.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hopefully they'll be able to get retrained as software developers and find lucrative and fulfilling jobs in that sector. Like coal miners.
It is not like people are weaning themselves off online content or robots are turning out better content than humans ever could. So, I'm hoping there is a joke or meme there that I'm just not getting.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:05 PM   #4
carlitos
"más divertido"

I couldn't believe that they just deleted Splinter News a week or two ago. I would have guessed that they drove a lot of traffic to the niche sites in the portfolio from that news aggregation point. It was basically a daily beast / huffpo type site, straight news with liberal bent.

I wasn't a huge Deadspin fan, but I definitely read the site 2-3 times per week. The non-sports stories were interesting, and the inside baseball about the site itself under the various ownership groups was usually compelling reading for me.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It is not like people are weaning themselves off online content or robots are turning out better content than humans ever could. So, I'm hoping there is a joke or meme there that I'm just not getting.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/learn-to-code
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:10 PM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

The joke is “learn to code” which allegedly started as something journalists said and became a Twitter meme/hashtag as advice for redundant coal miners and was later ironically applied to journalists complaining about losing their jobs.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

This somewhat related to a previous thread about Gawker being sued successfully by a Peter Thiel funded Hulk Hogan: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=304944

Since then Gawker was closed and the other Gawker sites have been passed from one owner to another. Recently they were bought by a private equity firm and the new boss did not like the old editorial direction.

Deadspin was a weird site under the Gawker umbrella. It was nominally a sports site, but if you really wanted sports news you could get that better elsewhere. It was more like a sports bar than a sports news source. The community was more important than the sports. This is in contrast with Jalopnik which is one of the better car news sites. Well, the new owner wanted it to stick to sports. So, now it seems that most of the staff is gone and they have taken down the ability to comment.

All of this played out in the comments on various Gawker sites and in the twitter feed of their union GMG Union.

It pretty obviously wasn't just about "sticking to sports." An article was posted with the past couple days (since removed) that showed the new CEO (Jim Spanfeller) as someone who wasn't interacting at all with people who had been working at the company for years, wasn't consulting with editorial on any decisions, and who had pretty much installed as executives the white guys he'd been working with at previous companies without giving any consideration at all to promoting anyone internally to senior management. One woman said she was offered the job of heading up Human Resources, but only if she'd fire a specific person; she passed on the job, which we have to take as meaning that she felt this person shouldn't have been fired.

They also killed Splinter, their political news/commentary site.

Here's a summary of the now-deleted article about Spanfeller.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 04:10 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Vulture capitalists act to wreck popular sites critical of vulture capitalism.

I shall miss the Aunt Becky "Crime" everything. Crime hat! Crime shades! Crime car! Those were funny.
Old 31st October 2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

I’ll miss deadspin. Didn’t read regularly, but will miss some of their regular content: Why your team sucks 2019, etc.

Also, will miss the comments section most of all.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 08:04 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Deadwho? Deadwhat?
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2019, 09:39 PM   #11
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The joke is “learn to code” which allegedly started as something journalists said and became a Twitter meme/hashtag as advice for redundant coal miners and was later ironically applied to journalists complaining about losing their jobs.
The big problem, as with everything online trolls write, is that the allegations are almost entirely fictional. Basically, they screamed "Learn to code, learn to code!" every time a newspaper or news site shut down (unless it was a far-right site, naturally), ignored the coders who lost their jobs in these layoffs, and when questioned scrounged up a couple of articles about how some out-of-work coal miners started software companies (while ignoring all of the other stories about coal miners moving into other lines of work, or simply becoming long-term unemployed).

In other words, as always, projecting their hatred and desperate need to be "alpha males" onto others.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The big problem, as with everything online trolls write, is that the allegations are almost entirely fictional. Basically, they screamed "Learn to code, learn to code!" every time a newspaper or news site shut down (unless it was a far-right site, naturally), ignored the coders who lost their jobs in these layoffs, and when questioned scrounged up a couple of articles about how some out-of-work coal miners started software companies (while ignoring all of the other stories about coal miners moving into other lines of work, or simply becoming long-term unemployed).

In other words, as always, projecting their hatred and desperate need to be "alpha males" onto others.
Yeah, I'm hoping theprestige was just being ironic, because this seems like the dumbest meme.

Old 1st November 2019, 09:46 AM   #13
carlitos
"más divertido"

One of the curses of our current internet age is the abuse of irony with memes. There are real nazis online being ironic that they are being real nazis being ironic. It's like the tropic thunder guy - a dude masquerading as a dude, pretending to be another dude. Is the OK sign a racist symbol? Only ironically, but it's used by racists. Ironically. Get it? Me neither.

So theprestige can joke that the Deadspin people, real life victims of corporate vultures that are ruining journalism, can "learn to code." Ha ha. Just being ironic.
Old 1st November 2019, 09:56 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay I didn't read Deadspin all that often (seeing as how they were a sports blog that wrote maybe, maybe 5 or 6 hockey articles a season) so I don't really have a deep personal insight into how bad this got... but is "Hey you're our Sport's Blog we need you to write sport's articles" really all that draconian of a mandate?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 09:59 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay I didn't read Deadspin all that often (seeing as how they were a sports blog that wrote maybe, maybe 5 or 6 hockey articles a season) so I don't really have a deep personal insight into how bad this got... but is "Hey you're our Sport's Blog we need you to write sport's articles" really all that draconian of a mandate?
It was never just a sports blog. None of that family of blogs was just what it was labelled.
Old 1st November 2019, 10:57 AM   #16
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It was never just a sports blog. None of that family of blogs was just what it was labelled.
Which was why people like me would read the sites. The guy in charge now is intent on making it the same as every other clickbait site (and they were already doing plenty of clickbait). Kill the personality and kill the actual journalism that was being done and he can turn it into what Newsweek has become. Hooray! One less website I need to check out every day.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 11:17 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Deadspin was for people that think nearly every sporting event includes an act of political speech (national anthems).
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 11:53 AM   #18
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Exactly, it wasn't a sports blog. It was a place where sports fans discussed a bunch of topics.

I was reading Deadspin since Will Leitch was running the show. (Not coincidentally, I also discovered Fire Joe Morgan at the time.)

Honestly, I'm not worried about the full timers themselves. Deadspin writers have gone on to some pretty prestigious places. And you can tell just how great it was by the abundance of lowlifes trying to dance on its grave.

What bugs me is this is yet another place I enjoyed getting the personality sucked out of it to become just another content mill. A voice being silenced because it pissed off rich folks or just didn't go with their outdated business plan. (seriously, the owners instituted autoplay video ads. In 2019) There's no shortage of places that crank out listicles for "maximum SEO". We're getting fewer and fewer places for long form content.

Has anyone reached out to Buzz Bissinger for a comment?
Old 1st November 2019, 12:10 PM   #19
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Exactly, it wasn't a sports blog. It was a place where sports fans discussed a bunch of topics.
It was also a place to read sports news where the writers didn't have to keep their noses as close to sports team owners' taints as possible.
Old 1st November 2019, 12:19 PM   #20
Donal
Illuminator

That was one of the funny parts. They opposed "Access journalism" but that turned into athletes, agents, executives and even other writers giving them some the rawest and most honest stuff out there.
Old 1st November 2019, 12:45 PM   #21
carlitos
"más divertido"

(seriously, the owners instituted autoplay video ads. In 2019)
With Sound!
Old 6th November 2019, 01:40 PM   #22
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That was one of the funny parts. They opposed "Access journalism" but that turned into athletes, agents, executives and even other writers giving them some the rawest and most honest stuff out there.
Kluwe was a frequent commenter and it was always funny when some newbie would jump in with a comment like "Oh, yeah, how would you know?!?!?"

He also wrote some articles, IIRC.

The point was that they attracted interesting people with interesting insights by not being a bog standard sport highlight aggregator with their noses shoved up team owners' asses.

Jalopnik has done the same by not signing embargo agreements with car companies.

Old 7th November 2019, 12:25 AM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I was reading Deadspin since Will Leitch was running the show. (Not coincidentally, I also discovered Fire Joe Morgan at the time.)

Honestly, I'm not worried about the full timers themselves. Deadspin writers have gone on to some pretty prestigious places. And you can tell just how great it was by the abundance of lowlifes trying to dance on its grave.

What bugs me is this is yet another place I enjoyed getting the personality sucked out of it to become just another content mill. A voice being silenced because it pissed off rich folks or just didn't go with their outdated business plan. (seriously, the owners instituted autoplay video ads. In 2019) There's no shortage of places that crank out listicles for "maximum SEO". We're getting fewer and fewer places for long form content.

Has anyone reached out to Buzz Bissinger for a comment?
And a pox on their house for that!!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events