ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 12th October 2017, 03:25 PM   #401
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Maybe you missed this bit:

Yes that's right! Not only has the Royal Commission recommended the scrapping of the deeds of release but some of the "church's own bodies" agree.
They are all changing? Huh!
Old 12th October 2017, 03:32 PM   #402
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yep, I saw that you did. Just to be clear you went with:

FIRST: sacerdotal authoritarianism!

SECOND: ignorance

THIRD: superstition

2 out of 3 racist, not really saved by your FIRST "point" but heck fire please don't let us forget :

"the third world, where sacerdotal authoritarianism, ignorance and superstition are more prevalent."

Heck, I look forward to more analysis about superstition, ignorance AND "sacerdotal authoritarianism" in the third world.

I made them three different colors in case any one got confused by the ignorance and superstition claims, and did not give proper heed to the equally important sacerdotal authoritarianism claim, which is also a thing.
Explain to me what is racist about saying that ignorance and superstition are more prevalent in the third world than in more developed areas.

Before modern levels of advanced technology and communications had been reached in Europe, ignorance and superstition were more prevalent here too. Until recently they were more prevalent in China, but they are retreating before the astounding technical advances currently being achieved there. That happened in Japan a century ago, too. So what is racist about such observations?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 03:44 PM   #403
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Explain to me what is racist about saying that ignorance and superstition are more prevalent in the third world than in more developed areas.

Before modern levels of advanced technology and communications had been reached in Europe, ignorance and superstition were more prevalent here too. Until recently they were more prevalent in China, but they are retreating before the astounding technical advances currently being achieved there. That happened in Japan a century ago, too. So what is racist about such observations?
Really?? Figure it out yourself, and try not to use, in 2800 BC people thought that Europeans were ignorant and blah blah blah, 100 years ago in japan..

Think about what you wrote, today, about people you consider ignorant and superstitious, today.

Beyond baffled I have to explain something so *********** simple at this point...
Old 12th October 2017, 05:08 PM   #404
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Really?? Figure it out yourself, and try not to use, in 2800 BC people thought that Europeans were ignorant and blah blah blah, 100 years ago in japan..

Think about what you wrote, today, about people you consider ignorant and superstitious, today.
No, you think about it please and stop lying about it. I said that ignorance and superstition were more prevalent in the third world, not any of the things you have mendaciously attributed to me. I can see that even if the pope is infallible in matters of morals, he hasn't passed any of the infallibility on to you.
Beyond baffled I have to explain something so *********** simple at this point...
If you think you have to explain things why don't you go ahead and do so? All I'm getting so far is nonsense, misrepresentation, and abuse mitigated somewhat by the auto censor's asterisks. Explanations would be a welcome change.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 05:22 PM   #405
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, you think about it please and stop lying about it. I said that ignorance and superstition were more prevalent in the third world, not any of the things you have mendaciously attributed to me. I can see that even if the pope is infallible in matters of morals, he hasn't passed any of the infallibility on to you. If you think you have to explain things why don't you go ahead and do so? All I'm getting so far is nonsense, misrepresentation, and abuse mitigated somewhat by the auto censor's asterisks. Explanations would be a welcome change.
Mendaciously? You mean where I pointed out that you brought up ancient Eurpoe and Japan a century ago. Should I have not brought up the fact you mentioned those grossly irrelevant things? Oh that was my bad. I guess I should also not point out that no one called ancient Europe of Japan the third world at that time.

I did notice that you did not address the whole calling third world people ignorant and superstitious today?

It's racist.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:10 PM   #406
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Mendaciously? You mean where I pointed out that you brought up ancient Eurpoe and Japan a century ago. Should I have not brought up the fact you mentioned those grossly irrelevant things? Oh that was my bad. I guess I should also not point out that no one called ancient Europe of Japan the third world at that time.

I did notice that you did not address the whole calling third world people ignorant and superstitious today?

It's racist.
I thought you were going to stop misrepresenting what I said, namely that ignorance and superstition were more prevalent in the third world, but you carry on telling lies.

These conditions are consequences of technical development, as I have pointed out, not of race, so I hoped you were going to explain in what way I was being racist. But you have merely stated it again without offering an explanation. You have now gone beyond any possibility of error. This is intentional misrepresentation.

That is very naughty. Therefore you must abjure the sinfulness in which you are now indulging, and you must display firm purpose of amendment. Otherwise the spirit of the infallible Pius IX will give you a severe telling off, when you meet him in Purgatory.
Old 13th October 2017, 01:36 PM   #407
Thor 2
Illuminator

It's racist.

Now that Craig B has effectively dealt with your desperate racist parry, (you indulged in distract us from the main issue), perhaps you could answer the questions regarding the recent questionable manoeuvres by some in the RCC. My post #400 was the last on that subject.
Old 13th October 2017, 01:48 PM   #408
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Now that Craig B has effectively dealt with your desperate racist parry, (you indulged in distract us from the main issue), perhaps you could answer the questions regarding the recent questionable manoeuvres by some in the RCC. My post #400 was the last on that subject.
I'm sorry, he did what now? Adding "more prevalent in the third world" to a string of racist accusations does not mollify the racist comment in the slightest.

Um, as soon as you know you get around to answering my long outstanding questions about whether Australia is opening all civil settlement agreements, or is is that the AntiTheist Broadcasting Company is just shilling for some ambulance chaser who wants to cash in?

(protip: the answers are No, and Yes)

Last edited by The Big Dog; 13th October 2017 at 01:52 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 02:44 PM   #409
Thor 2
Illuminator

I'm sorry, he did what now? Adding "more prevalent in the third world" to a string of racist accusations does not mollify the racist comment in the slightest.

Um, as soon as you know you get around to answering my long outstanding questions about whether Australia is opening all civil settlement agreements, or is is that the AntiTheist Broadcasting Company is just shilling for some ambulance chaser who wants to cash in?

(protip: the answers are No, and Yes)

Give it a break! How can Craig B be making racist accusations if he is not defining a race as the target.

There are a multitude of different races residing in developing countries and the chances are Craig B may be racially identical to some.

Back to the question at hand then and once again I draw your attention to the following:

Quote:
"Royal Commission Into Institutional Responses To Child Abuse and the church's own bodies recommending they be scrapped"
Perhaps you are going to rename the above as the "Anti Theist Royal Commission Into Institutional Responses To Child Abuse", but you can't get away from the the fact that some of "the church's own bodies", have recommended those settlement agreements be scrapped. I applaud those bodies, and also the individual Catholic clergy who have apologised for their own, and the churches, less than appropriate responses in the past. Why are we not seeing a directive from the Pope, telling all his underlings to get in line and make this thing right?
Old 13th October 2017, 02:49 PM   #410
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you are going to rename the above as the "Anti Theist Royal Commission Into Institutional Responses To Child Abuse", but you can't get away from the the fact that some of "the church's own bodies", have recommended those settlement agreements be scrapped. I applaud those bodies, and also the individual Catholic clergy who have apologised for their own, and the churches, less than appropriate responses in the past. Why are we not seeing a directive from the Pope, telling all his underlings to get in line and make this thing right?
So that is a big No to reopening all the other civil settlements, then? Cool.

We knew, we just have some shysters seeking to line their pockets, prompted by the thoroughly discredited ABC.

Anti Theist Royal Commission Into Institutional Responses To Child Abuse?

OK, if you say so.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:31 PM   #411
Thor 2
Illuminator

So that is a big No to reopening all the other civil settlements, then? Cool.

We knew, we just have some shysters seeking to line their pockets, prompted by the thoroughly discredited ABC.

Anti Theist Royal Commission Into Institutional Responses To Child Abuse?

OK, if you say so.
Shysters lining their pockets???

The following is from The Australian or maybe you would say the The Anti-Theist Australian.

Quote:
NEW figures revealing the impact of child abuse show as many as one in ten survivors have contemplated or attempted suicide, amid demands for better support from health practitioners including GPs.
Analysis of more than 3500 calls over the past four years to a helpline operated by peak body Adults Surviving Child Abuse shows 67 per cent of people who said they had experienced sexual, physical or emotional abuse as a child suffered mental health problems as a result.
The settlements made between the Catholic Church and the victims of child abuse cannot be compared to "other civil settlements". The victims are mentally damaged, afraid, and will clutch at anything offered.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:08 PM   #412
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Shysters lining their pockets???

The following is from The Australian or maybe you would say the The Anti-Theist Australian.

The settlements made between the Catholic Church and the victims of child abuse cannot be compared to "other civil settlements". The victims are mentally damaged, afraid, and will clutch at anything offered.
So says their shyster lawyer and the discredited ABC.

One would be a bit surprised at the callous attitude toward other victims, injured parties, including those that are mentally damaged, afraid, and will clutch at anything offered, by negligence/intentional harm, etc but then I remember:

Anti-Catholicism.

Check.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:42 PM   #413
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

So says their shyster lawyer and the discredited ABC.
"That which is asserted without evidence can be rejected without evidence."

Since you've done nothing to back up your claim about shysters and their lawyers gaming the system, we can safely consider this to be just one person's opinion. And it's worth exactly what we paid for it.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 08:21 AM   #414
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
"That which is asserted without evidence can be rejected without evidence."

Since you've done nothing to back up your claim about shysters and their lawyers gaming the system, we can safely consider this to be just one person's opinion. And it's worth exactly what we paid for it.
Irony meter explodes.

The desperate attempts to shift the burden to me are hilarious.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:54 AM   #415
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Irony meter explodes.

You're easily amused if you think that being asked to back up your claims is "hilarious". But then you "remember" that any view contrary to your own is "anti Catholicism" or "racism" and then of course you don't need to answer it; you merely deride it.
Old 14th October 2017, 09:03 AM   #416
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You're easily amused if you think that being asked to back up your claims is "hilarious". But then you "remember" that any view contrary to your own is "anti Catholicism" or "racism" and then of course you don't need to answer it; you merely deride it.
My rebuttal based in the actual article that forms the basis of the claims to which I was replying. Folks around here need basic understanding of shifting the burden fallacy

The anti-Catholicism was admitted

The racist nature of the comment in question, obvious.

Let me know if I can help you further
Old 14th October 2017, 11:18 AM   #417
Blue Mountain

<snip for brevity>
<snip>
So says their shyster lawyer and the discredited ABC.<snip>
Irony meter explodes.
Twice now you've used the term "shyster" to describe either the claiments themselves or their lawyers and have implied they're working only to "line their pockets," presumably at the expense of the Roman Catholic church in Australia. However, you have supplied exactly zero evidence this is the case. When asked to supply such evidence, you say the burden of proof is being shifted?

Sorry, no. You made the claim; you back it up. Otherwise everyone else on this thread can safely assume you're just making things up.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 11:26 AM   #418
Blue Mountain

Quote:
<snip> Folks around here need basic understanding of shifting the burden fallacy
For sure ... I can think of one poster in particular.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 14th October 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:42 AM   #419
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Twice now you've used the term "shyster" to describe either the claiments themselves or their lawyers and have implied they're working only to "line their pockets," presumably at the expense of the Roman Catholic church in Australia. However, you have supplied exactly zero evidence this is the case. When asked to supply such evidence, you say the burden of proof is being shifted?

Sorry, no. You made the claim; you back it up. Otherwise everyone else on this thread can safely assume you're just making things up.
One expects a baseline understanding of the terms in common usage, such as shyster. Feel free to disagree with my opinion on the subject if you wish.

I am gratified that you concur with my assessment of the disreputable folks at the abc, who in addition to having been proved biased have done nothing more than act as the mouthpiece for the "learned counsel" seeking to reopen long settled claims.

I wonder if the "learned counsel" is going to fund the reimbursement of the previous settlements so they can try and get more money, because I guess in Australia "settlement" means nothing.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:52 PM   #420
Thor 2
Illuminator

My rebuttal based in the actual article that forms the basis of the claims to which I was replying. Folks around here need basic understanding of shifting the burden fallacy

The anti-Catholicism was admitted

The racist nature of the comment in question, obvious.

Let me know if I can help you further

Getting somewhat desperate here aren't we?

Anti-Catholicism admitted? Well I freely admit to being anti-Catholicism (not ant- Catholic however as explained), but has the ABC made such an admission?

Your bolding "obvious" does little to strengthen your case in proving "racism". Your feeble attempts to shore up this claim have been comprehensively rebutted, and my last comment about it wasn't even answered by you.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:00 PM   #421
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Getting somewhat desperate here aren't we?

Anti-Catholicism admitted? Well I freely admit to being anti-Catholicism.
Yes, that is what I just said. Hard to imagine how being accurate is desperate

They lifting other settlements?

I know they are not, but maybe you could, you know, address that?
Old 14th October 2017, 02:05 PM   #422
Thor 2
Illuminator

Yes, that is what I just said. Hard to imagine how being accurate is desperate

They lifting other settlements?

I know they are not, but maybe you could, you know, address that?

Not a good look The Big Dog!

Cutting out the part of my post wherein the questions lie whilst trying to score a cheap point.
Old 14th October 2017, 02:14 PM   #423
Blue Mountain

One expects a baseline understanding of the terms in common usage, such as shyster. Feel free to disagree with my opinion on the subject if you wish.

I am gratified that you concur with my assessment of the disreputable folks at the abc, who in addition to having been proved biased have done nothing more than act as the mouthpiece for the "learned counsel" seeking to reopen long settled claims.

I wonder if the "learned counsel" is going to fund the reimbursement of the previous settlements so they can try and get more money, because I guess in Australia "settlement" means nothing.
That is very much a non-reply. I know what shyster means, and even showed that by the very next phrase in my post. I don't know how it was you concluded I didn't know what the term meant.

My question to you was: show me the evidence these people are shysters.

I'm also really confused about your conclusion that I agree with you with respect to the ABC, given I made no mention of the ABC in the post you replied to.

I recommend you read the posts you're replying to and comprehend them first, instead of replying to what appears to be a different post altogether. In your mind it may be clear what you're replying to, but to someone who's reading the words you wrote, it's not.
Old 14th October 2017, 02:33 PM   #424
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear... Moving forward seeing as my repeated posts are being studiously ignored, we see that Austalia is not taking steps to rescind other long settled matters.

Hearing no reason why the law should be cast aside here and not in other cases involving mental harm, debilitating pain, hell permanent debilitating injury, this seems well and fully settled.

I wonder if the same people advocating reopening these settlements are also pressing for reparations of the genocide of Catholics by the British Empire? Unlikely, hmmm?
Old 14th October 2017, 05:53 PM   #425
Thor 2
Illuminator

Oh dear... Moving forward seeing as my repeated posts are being studiously ignored, we see that Austalia is not taking steps to rescind other long settled matters.

Hearing no reason why the law should be cast aside here and not in other cases involving mental harm, debilitating pain, hell permanent debilitating injury, this seems well and fully settled.

I wonder if the same people advocating reopening these settlements are also pressing for reparations of the genocide of Catholics by the British Empire? Unlikely, hmmm?

This is looking like a more and more desperate move to distract our attention from the subject at hand. I imagine you will be trying to lever Stalin into the discussion soon.

We are talking about the decline of the Catholic Church here, how much of that is a result of the hovering stench child abuse within the church, and the lest than compassionate response of the church in the wake of it.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #426
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am very relieved to note that Wikipedia states that the anti-Semitic implications of the term "shyster" are based on a false etymology and without evidence.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:39 PM   #427
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I am very relieved to note that Wikipedia states that the anti-Semitic implications of the term "shyster" are based on a false etymology and without evidence.
Curious, I was thinking about people who say they are not anti-Semitic they are just anti-Zionist. I guess that is like claiming they are not anti-Catholic, they are anti-Catholicism. Except, you read the former mostly on neo-Nazi sites, and the latter is more like saying "I am not anti-Jew, I am anti-Judaism."

Of course, being "anti-Catholicism" is one of the last bastions of fashionable bigotry.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 14th October 2017 at 07:43 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:53 PM   #428
Thor 2
Illuminator

Curious, I was thinking about people who say they are not anti-Semitic they are just anti-Zionist. I guess that is like claiming they are not anti-Catholic, they are anti-Catholicism. Except, you read the former mostly on neo-Nazi sites, and the latter is more like saying "I am not anti-Jew, I am anti-Judaism."

Of course, being "anti-Catholicism" is one of the last bastions of fashionable bigotry.

Nah ....... just doesn't cut it as a good analogy. Too many vagaries of meaning here.

Being a Jew can define a person as being of the people and cultural community whose traditional religion is Judaism, and who trace their origins to the ancient Hebrew people of Israel. They can however be unbelievers and a huge number are.

Semitic relates to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic. To be anti-semitic means you are agin more than just Jews.

A supporter of Zionism is a person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel.

Catholic specifically and with no ambiguity, refers to someone who believes in the Catholic faith and Catholicism refers to that faith.

Ant-Catholicism is not a mindset resulting from bigotry, but from observation of the role Catholicism played in the past and present. Burnings at the stake and such in the past and people dying of AIDS and such in the present.

There are many, many, more examples of the harm being done as a direct result of those being guided by Catholic teaching. Bigotry just doesn't come into the picture at all.
Old 15th October 2017, 02:02 PM   #429
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Protocals of the Elders of Rome.

It is fashionable folks.
Old 15th October 2017, 02:24 PM   #430
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It is fashionable folks.
What's a "Protocal"? Food before it becomes calories?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:48 PM   #431
Thor 2
Illuminator

It is fashionable folks.

This is either way to deep for me or over my head. Try to explain please.

Just repeating something, like that fashionable thing, is not an argument. I suppose most of us used this kind of technique when we were kids ..... "Yes it is", "No it isn't", "Yes it is", "No it isn't", ..........
Old 15th October 2017, 04:01 PM   #432
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

It is fashionable folks.
If you're intending to continue producing this stuff in order to avoid having to answer any of the points put to you, you will really have to be more subtle.

There is of course anti-Catholicism, of the "no Catholics need apply" variety, and it takes other forms too. But the problem is that criticism of the offences and excesses of the functionaries of the Church in recent years can't be dismissed in that way. The perps can't hide behind the suffering of oppressed Catholics any more than the West Bank settlers can legitimately exploit the sufferings of the victims of the Holocaust to cover and distract attention from their own failings. It's both too shameful and too transparent.

And you are trying both failed strategies simultaneously with your "protocals" absurdity. The spelling error makes it seem even more ludicrous, for some reason, as does asinine wording like "folks".

Last edited by Craig B; 15th October 2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 15th October 2017, 04:08 PM   #433
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The funny thing, folks, is that I thought I fixed that vitally important spelling error on the iPad.

Well, folks, thank goodness we have our sites on the big issues, not the small ones like racism and Know Nothing style Anti-Catholicism.
Old 15th October 2017, 06:49 PM   #434
Blue Mountain

The funny thing, folks, is that I thought I fixed that vitally important spelling error on the iPad.

Well, folks, thank goodness we have our sitessights on the big issues, not the small ones like racism and Know Nothing style Anti-Catholicism.
I would scarcely call criticizing half a century of covering up child molestation a "know nothing style of Anti-Catholicism." That and the terrible conditions in the homes for unwed mothers in Ireland. And the anti-gay stances, although that's not confined to just the Roman Catholics.

In addition, as one who was once an evangelical Christian, I look with some horror upon the Catholic Church's centuries of muddying up the plain and simple message of the Gospels as presented in the Bible. It's akin having a three hundred page rule book for Kuncklebones (Jacks), wherein one ends up with something that might be recognizable as jacks once all the layers have been stripped away.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 15th October 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:17 PM   #435
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Know Nothing. A rabid anti catholic group from the 19th century.

Evangelicals attitudes toward Catholics explained why Catholics are number 3 on the KKK hit list, and why they are targets for such luminaries as Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, etc

Although they cannot really be blamed for the British Catholic genocides of the 19th century
Old 15th October 2017, 07:48 PM   #436
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Big Dog, you do know that your butthurt fanboy act actually has a name, right?

It's called Whataboutism, and it was the darling propaganda method of the Soviet Union. When criticism was levelled at the Soviet Union or the Communist Party, the response would be some deflection to the tune of "What about the USA doing <insert something completely different>?" Hence the name. E.g., probably THE most used whataboutism was "And you are lynching blacks!!!" whenever someone from the west complained about, say, human rights violations in the USSR.

But here's the problem with such attempts at verbal shock and awe. They only really work the first time, before the fridge logic has time to kick in. Once you've heard them a thousand times before, the only one who's still confused is the one still using that sound bite.

And here's the thing: even your insistence on "but you're racist!!!", not only it's not new on these boards, but it seems like just a toned down version of that Soviet response to everything. It's just taken down a notch from outright claiming a lynching.

So in case you're still wondering why people still talk about the actual issue, instead of being shamed and silenced by your whataboutisms, well, that's why: we've heard it a thousand times before. Not only it's not new enough to shock, it was overused all the way back since the STALIN era. Yeah, that many decades. You're not even original, lemming.

So, basically, address the actuall topic or, shall we say, you can travel and copulate

Last edited by HansMustermann; 15th October 2017 at 07:51 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:58 PM   #437
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Big Dog, you do know that your butthurt fanboy act actually has a name, right?

It's called...)
After that utterly, ridiculous opening sentence, it's called:

Last edited by The Big Dog; 15th October 2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 15th October 2017, 10:45 PM   #438
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Well, folks, thank goodness we have our sites on the big issues, not the small ones like racism and Know Nothing style Anti-Catholicism.
Cynical "doubling down" I see. Even the "folks" has been repeated.

Well I suppose it's the only thing you can do, if you feel obliged to avoid confronting difficult questions. For some years the Church has been in disgrace over its moral and disciplinary failings. So let's shout "anti-Catholicism" when these are criticised. Is that the strategy?

To its credit, the leadership of the Church has shown signs recently of a more realistic attitude, confronting, and making some level of reparation for its past misdeeds. Quite right too, for that is what it instructed penitents to do to receive forgiveness for their sins.
Old 15th October 2017, 11:08 PM   #439
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

<ahem> Sights, surely?
Old 15th October 2017, 11:15 PM   #440
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
<ahem> Sights, surely?
He'll fix that too, don't worry.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy