ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags terrorism incidents , US-Iran relations

Old 11th October 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Lowpro
Philosopher

Saudi Ambassador attack...thwarted

Didn't see a thread on it yet.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11...ran/?hpt=hp_t1

Interesting stuff. Apparently there was a planned attack against the Saudi Ambassador in America (which is why I posted here, and not in the other forum ) but was thwarted by DEA and CIA. Iran denies it and says it's a U.S. fabrication.

Last edited by Lowpro; 11th October 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Lowpro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
Iran denies it and says it's a U.S. fabrication.
That goes without saying.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Lowpro
Philosopher

Yea I just wanted to throw in the Cliffs Notes because some people don't want to read the CNN blog. Plus I myself haven't read all of it so I'm going through more sources while I can before I gotta leave
Old 11th October 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

9/11 CTists claim it's a false flag op while Dick Cheney has given George Bush the credit.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Lowpro
Philosopher

YA know, I looked in the CT section first before looking here just because I assumed I'd see a "false flag saudi ambassador" thread.
Old 11th October 2011, 02:15 PM   #6
MelonyR
Banned

I heard it on the news a while ago. I was kind of chuckling that the State Department was saying it was potentially an "act of war" against three countries had they killed this man on US soil. The three were US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia.

Yet when we do it, it's perfectly fine.

(i missed why they included Israel)
MelonyR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 02:16 PM   #7
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

The IRGC-Quds Force have spent years training insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan to effectively kill and injure U.S. and host nation troops. Now they are sending sleeper agents into America in order to assassinate people.

Time for a cruise missile barrage.

An interesting note if true: the guy was apparently looking for a Mexican drug cartel member to carry out his dirty work, but was directed to a DEA agent. Maybe the pile of AKs we sent down there bred a little loyalty.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 02:21 PM   #8
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MelonyR View Post
I heard it on the news a while ago. I was kind of chuckling that the State Department was saying it was potentially an "act of war" against three countries had they killed this man on US soil. The three were US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia.

I don't know if I understand you. Are you comparing the targeting of this diplomat to the targeting of Bin Laden?

As for Israel, the original stories I heard said that the agents were targeting both the Saudi ambassador and the Israeli embassy. Not sure if that's still the case.

Last edited by mikedenk; 11th October 2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Changed "killing" to "targeting" since said diplomat wasn't killed
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Molinaro
Illuminator

When has the US targeted politicians and or ambassadors?
Old 11th October 2011, 03:23 PM   #10
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post

An interesting note if true: the guy was apparently looking for a Mexican drug cartel member to carry out his dirty work, but was directed to a DEA agent. Maybe the pile of AKs we sent down there bred a little loyalty.
More likely the cartels aren't moronically stupid, and knew if they played in this it would come back to hurt them 1000 fold. Or the DEA people intercepted it first so the cartels never even got the offer. The AKs weren't supposed to get that far, weren't bribes, and thus couldn't have bought any loyalty.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro
Iran denies it and says it's a U.S. fabrication.
That goes without saying.
Remember the moral of the story of the little Iranian who cried "Wolf"

Quote:
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary - H. L. Mencken
Old 11th October 2011, 05:44 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if I understand you either. When nations do things to each other, there is no "perfectly fine". There's only "we're going to do what we're going to do" and "if you don't like it, do something about it".

Most of the time, nations choose to do something about it, just most of the time nations don't choose war. The US tends to avoid being at war, by giving other nations better options than going to war. But it's not really up to the US, whether other nations prefer war. So the US pushes its interests as far as it can, and exploits its leverage as much as possible, and treads carefully when it has to (which is probably a damn sight more often than it looks like, and than you might think).

But by the same token, it's not really up to Iran, whether the US decides to let this slide, use it for leverage in negotiations, or take it as an act of war and respond accordingly. The best Iran can do is offer counter-incentives, to balance their provocation.

ETA: tl;dr -- just because the US is sometimes aggressive towards other nations, that doesn't entitle other nations to a free bowl of "agression towards the US and its allies".

Last edited by theprestige; 11th October 2011 at 05:46 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Emperor_Gestahl
Muse

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
When has the US targeted politicians and or ambassadors?
Well there was Omar Torrijos.. Or is that still CT?

Last edited by Emperor_Gestahl; 11th October 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Emperor_Gestahl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 07:02 PM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

False flag operation, to give Obama an excuse to start another war, just so he can get re-elected on the motto "Don't change horses in the middle of a war"?

No, that is too superficial. Besides, they busted the perp.

How about the DEA busting a terrorist, just to attain a higher profile? Anti-Terror is where the big budgets are these day...

So, DEA agent? terrorism bust? Entrapment thread starting in 3, 2, 1....
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Try reading the indictment. 21 pages. I did. Got the link from a friend.

Doesn't pop up on a cursory Google, however. Need to find the link.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2011, 10:55 PM   #16
Lowpro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Try reading the indictment. 21 pages
You're not going to get people to read an indictment by saying it's 21 pages long =\
Old 11th October 2011, 11:15 PM   #17
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im....pdf?hpt=hp_t1

Thar it be.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:18 PM   #18
angrysoba
Philosophile

Maybe it was a slip of the tongue: "Israel's so gonna get you now! We can't stop 'em! We tried playing good cop but...oops!"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 05:27 AM   #19
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Maybe it was a slip of the tongue: "Israel's so gonna get you now! We can't stop 'em! We tried playing good cop but...oops!"
Part of it was a plot to blow up the Israeli embassy in the US.
Old 12th October 2011, 06:48 AM   #20
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Even though the attack was to have been on US soil, the main target was the Saudi ambassador. It will be interesting to see what course the Saudis want to take. Arabs vs. Persians How wide is the Straits of Hormuz?

ETA: About 30 - 33 miles (49 -54 km).

Last edited by RenaissanceBiker; 12th October 2011 at 07:02 AM.
RenaissanceBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 06:56 AM   #21
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
Even though the attack was to have been on US soil, the main target was the Saudi ambassador. It will be interesting to see what course the Saudis want to take. Arabs vs. Persians How wide is the Straits of Hormuz?
This wide:
<------------------------------------------------>
(not to scale)
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 06:56 AM   #22
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

All of the analysts I listen to indicate that Iran is much more divided than we'd think; with the President and his cronies often at odds with the Clerical powers, and the military also separate to a large degree from the more-fanatical "revolutionary guard".... And so forth.
It's possible that this plot (if true, and to date the evidence looks pretty compelling) may not have originated as a "state" action but rather from one of the disparate groups within Iranian society....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 02:18 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
All of the analysts I listen to indicate that Iran is much more divided than we'd think; with the President and his cronies often at odds with the Clerical powers, and the military also separate to a large degree from the more-fanatical "revolutionary guard".... And so forth.
It's possible that this plot (if true, and to date the evidence looks pretty compelling) may not have originated as a "state" action but rather from one of the disparate groups within Iranian society....
One of the disparate groups within Iranian society, or one of the various factions vying for power and position within the Iranian government apparatus?

I mean, the problem with Iran-Contra wasn't that Colonel North represented a rogue faction within American society, but that he represented a rogue faction within the US government.

If this is indeed a rogue faction within the Iranian government, it will be instructive to see how other factions deal with it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 04:26 PM   #24
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

http://web.caller.com/2011/pdf/arbab...indictment.pdf

The indictment.

What to do about it? Well, the guy they have in custody isn't quite as vaulable as his handler, who is apparently in Iran and linked to the Al Quds folks. I'd say the FBI /court approach is enough to do.

The attempted assassination of the Saudi ambassador ... we'll see what the King chooses to do about that. He's got resources.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 04:44 PM   #25
AlBell
Philosopher

And we can hope the King's response is sufficient to keep the Obama-ites from doing anything too silly.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Stay well back: I'm allergic to Stupid.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2011, 06:28 PM   #26
MaGZ
Philosopher

“By way of deception, thy shall do war.”
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 06:43 AM   #27
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I assume that Iran is planning to arrest an American or 2 now under trumped-up charges, in an attempt to have a prisoner swap.
Old 13th October 2011, 02:15 PM   #28
CTB
Thinker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

So, DEA agent? terrorism bust? Entrapment thread starting in 3, 2, 1....

I saw this and thought of you....

" ...in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is not king, for he can never get folks to see things his way."
CTB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 02:31 PM   #29
Minoosh
Philosopher

This whole thing is so incredibly bizarre. The Iranian government as a whole wouldn't have any obvious reason to kill this guy, and I can't even imagine that some rogue faction has an obvious reason to kill this guy. So I'm thinking there is more to "this guy" than meets the eye - like, he's a double agent or something. Iran has no reason to give Israel & Saudi Arabia something to agree on. And, sorry, but since when do ambassadors matter? Of course they matter as human beings, murder is wrong, etc.

But really ... why???
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 02:57 PM   #30
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Executive summary, and linkie? Please!

ETA: Found it. At least this administration and its covert services spent the time capturing the (bleep) rather than spending all their time telling us to be afraid of him.

Last edited by jj; 13th October 2011 at 03:03 PM.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:00 PM   #31
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post

ETA: About 30 - 33 miles (49 -54 km).
About 52 seconds in an F15?
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:01 PM   #32
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
And we can hope the King's response is sufficient to keep the Obama-ites from doing anything too silly.
You mean keep the Obama-haters from calling him "weak and stupid" when he doesn't launch a nuclear weapon at Iran?
Old 13th October 2011, 03:16 PM   #33
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Today in the German Parliament, one Christian Democrat, a known pro-US lobbyist, had an outburst and whined "we shouldn't pretend that this is all made up!" only to get informed by a Social Democrat that there's massive doubt about this story even in Washington itself. Chancelloress doesn't say a word, Foreign Minister said some short platitudes, nobody else wants to comment.

In other word, Yankistanis: nobody buys this laughable and highly dangerous fairytale. Your credibility around the globe is profoundly ruined after many years of lies and lies and more lies of the corrupt criminals (on top of "both" parties) who "lead" you into self-destruction.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:26 PM   #34
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I assume that Iran is planning to arrest an American or 2 now under trumped-up charges, in an attempt to have a prisoner swap.
They let the last 2 buy their way out. Wonder if we can sell this guy back to them?

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:27 PM   #35
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Remind me what an Obama-ite is again?
Old 13th October 2011, 03:33 PM   #36
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
They let the last 2 buy their way out. Wonder if we can sell this guy back to them?
For..
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th October 2011, 03:35 PM   #37
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
This whole thing is so incredibly bizarre. The Iranian government as a whole wouldn't have any obvious reason to kill this guy, and I can't even imagine that some rogue faction has an obvious reason to kill this guy. So I'm thinking there is more to "this guy" than meets the eye - like, he's a double agent or something. Iran has no reason to give Israel & Saudi Arabia something to agree on. And, sorry, but since when do ambassadors matter? Of course they matter as human beings, murder is wrong, etc.

But really ... why???
A rogue faction might want to get the dominant faction into trouble by making the US angry at said dominant faction.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:37 PM   #38
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
In other word, Yankistanis: nobody buys this laughable and highly dangerous fairytale.
That's exactly what you say about 9/11!

In the real world, among responsible adults, the Iranians plotted to kill the Saudi ambassador and blow up the Israeli embassy.

It' not like Iran hasn't done such things elsewhere.
Old 13th October 2011, 03:55 PM   #39
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Fake, Fake, Fake

Originally Posted by Justin Raimondo
That our government would float a narrative like this without any apparent regard for the basic rules of fiction-writing – create believable characters who do believable things – is Washington’s way of showing contempt for the Iranians, the American people, and anyone else who stands in the way of their war agenda. They don’t care if it’s not believable. They think Americans will swallow anything, that we’re too busy trying to survive day-to-day, these days, to inquire much further than the “official” account. And of course our brain-dead media, which is reduced to a chiefly stenographic role, isn’t going to ask any inconvenient questions.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 04:04 PM   #40
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
That's exactly what you say about 9/11!

In the real world, among responsible adults, the Iranians plotted to kill the Saudi ambassador and blow up the Israeli embassy.

It' not like Iran hasn't done such things elsewhere.
It's not like Israel hasn’t planted fake stories in the media in the past and came up with schemes to get the US to attack her enemy at the moment.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics