ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bombing incidents , Boston Marathon bombing , terrorism incidents , terrorism issues

Old 16th April 2013, 10:14 PM   #41
zeggman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
You can bet there will be calls for tougher laws regarding some aspect of this crime but what is too soon to tell.
No backpacks, fanny packs, ice packs, snack packs, jet packs, rat packs, or packs romana.

No pressure cookers, rice cookers, slow cookers, hot plates, home plates, commemorative plates, or plate tectonics.

For starters.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A friend teaches at a nearby college that was evacuated this morning because of a bomb threat. This should be a lesson learned: the immediate effect of frenzied coverage is going to be copy-cat threats.
The Amtrak and Metroliner trains in LA today were delayed for over an hour because of a "suspicious package" in Burbank.

Used to be, littering got you stuck on the Group W bench. Now, it's Gitmo.
zeggman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 10:16 PM   #42
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Obama said the perpetrator(s) will be found and will feel the full weight of justice.

Him being president and the majority of you being internet political hacks, I'm going with Obama's prediction.
America, as a whole, no longer has any concept of what justice means.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 10:48 PM   #43
Axxman300
Illuminator

It's hard to say what the implications of the bombing will bee until we have a suspect.

What folks on this board should be doing is keeping track of people on the left and right who are already using this event to advance their pet causes.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:22 AM   #44
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
We just need to register all bombs and confiscate them.
Too bad there wasn't a good guy with a bomb there to stop the bad guy bomber.

Daredelvis
Old 17th April 2013, 02:25 AM   #45
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

What folks on this board should be doing is keeping track of people on the left and right who are already using this event to advance their pet causes.
Reagan proved that deficits don't matter, and 9/11 proved that exploiting events such as these to advance pet causes doesn't matter.

Daredelvis
Old 17th April 2013, 04:20 AM   #46
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Here's some random politics at play, Rep Steve King wants to halt immigration reform because the bomber is probably an immigrant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3092929.html
Umm... yeah. We really need an IQ test for those seeking office. Wow, seriously? He's gonna feel real stupid when we find out it's a farm boy from Iowa (picking on Iowa ONLY because it's the state he represents) that did it. I regularly get letters from Huelskamp (the guy kicked off the agriculture committee for being too conservative by Republicans (paraphrasing his own words)), and even he isn't this bad.

From what I've gathered, there's no reason at all to believe that a "foreign student" was involved, according to the actual investigators. If he's responding to inside information (which I doubt), than it is clearly information which the investigators are not ready to release to the public.

Last edited by Manopolus; 17th April 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 05:34 AM   #47
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

You're a folk on this board, no? Please compile your findings, and report back by Tuesday morning.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 06:53 AM   #48
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

It's your ideological indoctrination that makes you think that way.

Snap out of it.
And what would that be? Give me a taste of your crystal clear vision of the world.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 10:50 AM   #49
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I recall a relatively productive coming together of different levels of law enforcement following the OKC bombing that led to identifying and busting the culprits.

I think that was an appropriate reaction. I expect something similar will happen but somewhat more quickly with this incident since there are now sooooo many surveillance cameras and handheld devices with cameras in that area yesterday.
I called it! CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made.

No need to repeal the Bill of Rights or whatever other reactions people were expecting.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:48 AM   #50
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

No need to repeal the Bill of Rights or whatever other reactions people were expecting.
Ahem...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/17...oston-bombing/
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly. But NYC has been doing random stop and searches of people on the street and subway. Though, I'm not sure if that's new for NYC or just SOP.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 12:14 PM   #52
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Wait... what?!
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=256921
Old 17th April 2013, 12:16 PM   #53
IXP
Graduate Poster

We need to ban matches and sugar now!

IXP
Old 17th April 2013, 12:32 PM   #54
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by IXP View Post
We need to ban matches and sugar now!

IXP
Do you work for Monsanto or something?

Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 01:03 PM   #55
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Yep--I fell for the misreporting by CNN. Someone told them "We got him" meaning a suspect has been identified, but they reported that an arrest had been made. But it shouldn't be too long.
Old 17th April 2013, 01:05 PM   #56
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Possibly. But NYC has been doing random stop and searches of people on the street and subway. Though, I'm not sure if that's new for NYC or just SOP.
So no need to change anything, then, right? Or are you saying this isn't something NYC has ever done before the Boston Marathon bombing?
Old 17th April 2013, 01:14 PM   #57
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow,did CNN and the media in general blow it bigtime with the "arrest in the Boston Bombings has been made" story. A good example of the "ignore accuracy and confirmation ,let's be first" mentality.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 01:37 PM   #58
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wow,did CNN and the media in general blow it bigtime with the "arrest in the Boston Bombings has been made" story. A good example of the "ignore accuracy and confirmation ,let's be first" mentality.
They should be ashamed. Yet their current version of the story makes no mention of their earlier misreporting.

ETA: And worse still, the "We got him" comment didn't even mean they'd identified a suspect. It only meant that they found him on two different video recordings and have a very general description of him (mostly how he was dressed).

Last edited by JoeTheJuggler; 17th April 2013 at 01:47 PM.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:31 PM   #59
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

They should be ashamed. Yet their current version of the story makes no mention of their earlier misreporting.

ETA: And worse still, the "We got him" comment didn't even mean they'd identified a suspect. It only meant that they found him on two different video recordings and have a very general description of him (mostly how he was dressed).

I think it was Fran Townsend at CNN who goofed this one. As a journalist, she ought to know better than to get caught in an embarrassing game of Telephone (that's Chinese Whispers, Brits).
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:46 PM   #60
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
I think it was Fran Townsend at CNN who goofed this one. As a journalist, she ought to know better than to get caught in an embarrassing game of Telephone (that's Chinese Whispers, Brits).
The current version of the story says, "In addition, a federal law enforcement source told CNN that 'anyone who says "arrest" is ahead of themselves.'"

I'm guessing that word came from CNN's misconstruction of, "We got him". They ought own up to it instead of trying to imply that their reliable sources misled them.

Seriously, I don't mind waiting an hour or two if that's what it takes to get the story right.
Old 17th April 2013, 06:22 PM   #61
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

That'd be rad.
This made me lol
Old 17th April 2013, 06:23 PM   #62
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

It's hard to say what the implications of the bombing will bee until we have a suspect.

QFT
Old 17th April 2013, 06:38 PM   #63
SezMe
post-pre-born

SOP.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 06:49 PM   #64
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Based upon what I've seen in the media since Monday, this seems to be more the rule than the exception. I am quite happy with NPR's reporting, though.
Old 17th April 2013, 07:24 PM   #65
Elind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post
I'm mostly wanting to open up the subject, and haven't really formed a strong opinion yet. Will it create a rash of largely unnecessary legislation? Will it tilt the country one way or the other in the political spectrum, depending on the culprit?
One could be forgiven for thinking that you are too young to remember 9/11, or that you have a problem distinguishing between mass murder by homemade bombs and NRA sanctioned weapons.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 08:21 PM   #66
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, it's even better than you think. This is a screen capture from CNN's website:
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 06:30 AM   #67
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by Elind View Post
One could be forgiven for thinking that you are too young to remember 9/11, or that you have a problem distinguishing between mass murder by homemade bombs and NRA sanctioned weapons.
I honestly have no idea what this is intended to mean. Could you clarify?

For the record, I'm 40... plenty old enough to remember 9/11 and the absolutely stupid things we did in response to it. As a matter of fact, I was very much an adult at the time (28, to be precise). Also, I'm not particularly for gun control... or particularly against it, either. I don't own guns and don't want them... but don't care that most of the people I grew up with own them (grew up rural). I'm aware that it is another similar issue with the latest school shooting and all, but have no idea what you're saying about it here. I also remember the OKC bombing quite well and know that one of the major issues of the perpetrators had to do with The Brady Bill (gun control). As a matter of fact, Timothy McVeigh had a gun with him when he was arrested that was originally registered to me (which my roommate at the time sold to him after I moved out and left it behind -- this was 1993), so I do have a little info on the subject... possibly part of the reason I haven't owned a gun since.

Also for the record, it would be very hard to convince me that the gun control issue is of any great importance from either side of the fence. I've heard most of the arguments and dismiss it largely as pointless quibbling when there's much more important things for our government to be thinking about. I consider it an issue which has been blown way out of proportion, since the legislative suggestions are neither very restrictive nor particularly effective.

So in summary, I find it to be mostly a costly diversion from things that are much more important... and an issue which pushes the politics of divisionism further down the dangerous path it has already been on. I'm sort of pissed off that it's even an issue right now. I definitely lean liberal, but I don't support the party line at all on this one (definitely not a party line tower anyway)... not because I'm against gun control, but rather because I know how strongly certain portions of our populace react to the issue and consider it a bad thing to bring up, considering the level of belligerence that was already present in that portion of the population.

...but as to your post, I do believe that you're probably projecting, to say the least. I'm also not even able to determine which side you're trying to argue for by reading the content.

Last edited by Manopolus; 18th April 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:53 AM   #68
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Toontown
Obama said the perpetrator(s) will be found and will feel the full weight of justice.

Him being president and the majority of you being internet political hacks, I'm going with Obama's prediction.

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
You can tell, when someone leads with an unprovoked insult, that the poster is, in essence, a troll.
I notice we haven't heard anything further from Toontown.

A to the concerns of the OP, the Senate today defeated a bill that would increase background checks for those wishing to buy firearms. If, in the light of the Sandy Hook shooting and immediately following the Boston Marathon bombing, the Senate can't get it together to increase background checks on those wanting to obtain firearms. does this mean there might not be a slew of repressive legislation in response to the bombing? Or is the lac of response only due to the power of the gun lobby? Since there's not a "back-pack lobby," might we yet face restrictive backpack legislation?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 10:09 AM   #69
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Gotta figure out who to aim our anger at first.
Yeah, if we can't blame it on a foreign, axis-of-evil country, who can we take out our revenge on?

North Korea?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 10:26 AM   #70
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Yeah, if we can't blame it on a foreign, axis-of-evil country, who can we take out our revenge on?

North Korea?
Er, North Korea is one of the Axis of Evil.

Old 18th April 2013, 01:04 PM   #71
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Er, North Korea is one of the Axis of Evil.
And the obvious culprit here, too. If not, can't we say it is, and take 'er out?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 02:45 PM   #72
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
And the obvious culprit here, too. If not, can't we say it is, and take 'er out?
Why? They're a useful enemy. Haven't you noticed that American foreign (and domestic) policy revolves around having enemies? (note that the real purpose is keeping our own country from falling apart).

Overall, we're an enemy-centric nation. How can we keep this up if we actually conquer our enemies? That's how empires fall... when there's no one left to fight, and the internal strife outweighs its foreign counterpart.

Of course, it might be better if we didn't create so much internal strife... but they've probably never thought of that, since it does have its uses. As long as one half of the country is wanting to strangle the other half, that gives the political leaders sanction to do pretty much anything from at least one half or so of the country. That's the two party system in a nutshell... balancing forces and setting them against each other.

Last edited by Manopolus; 18th April 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 18th April 2013, 03:33 PM   #73
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW Jon Stewart ripped CNN royally for their screw up last night. It's up at his website.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 03:38 PM   #74
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

BTW Jon Stewart ripped CNN royally for their screw up last night. It's up at his website.
Glad to hear it... tried to run over there earlier and see the latest, but my link has been bad (public link nearby... no internet of my own).
Old 19th April 2013, 08:49 AM   #75
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
You can tell, when someone leads with an unprovoked insult, that the poster is, in essence, a troll.
Sure, if your definition of troll is: Blunt, accurate, and aware of who to listen to and who to ignore.

The perpetrators are now in the process of feeling the full weight of justice. One has been killed in a gun battle. There is no shortage of evidence. Nor will there be a shortage of internet hacks falsely claiming that the perps are innocent patsies.

I call them the way I see them.

Last edited by Toontown; 19th April 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 09:18 AM   #76
Mooseman
Thinker

They will never get the second guy alive, too bad. I would love to hear his justification.
Mooseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 09:20 AM   #77
Robert Prey
Banned

Muslem Jhiadists. Surprise, Surprise.

Maybe if we allowed more Muslims and Muslim students into the US and gave them increased scholarships, they would like us better. (Reading the thoughts of John Kerry).

Last edited by Robert Prey; 19th April 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Robert Prey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 09:25 AM   #78
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Robert Prey View Post
Maybe if we allowed more Muslims and Muslim students into the US and gave them increased scholarships, they would like us better. (Reading the thoughts of John Kerry).
You can't assume the voice in your head is John Kerry.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2013, 09:26 AM   #79
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robert Prey View Post
But we did allow the two perps into the US, and did give one of them a scholarship...

So I guess it's back to the drawing board.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:27 AM   #80
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
We could have a new, more brazen, unibomber on our hands.

You can bet there will be calls for tougher laws regarding some aspect of this crime but what is too soon to tell.
Ban those damn pressure cookers!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics