ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Boston Marathon bombing , terrorism incidents

Old 16th April 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
SKEPTICALSHAM
Scholar

Saudi National at Boston Bombing is a Witness not a suspect

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1318272

his facebook
https://www.facebook.com/abdulrahman.a.alsulaimi

Rep Ted Poe jumped the gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8J6uWMEf_Q
SKEPTICALSHAM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
ravdin
Illuminator

Looks to me that this was a case of Running Away While Saudi. Not that it was at all out of line to investigate this individual as a person of interest, but it looks like it didn't go any further than questioning him.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Rep. Poe...

What a grandstanding pillock. Just had to be the one to "inform" his fellows (all of whom, of course, have no knowledge of you know... current/breaking news) and get on camera doing it.

Bonus points for repeating the unconfirmed report of additional bombs.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
NoahFence
Banned

Why do we care about his Facebook? Leave the kid alone.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Minoosh
Philosopher

I wish I weren't racist, but I am prejudiced against Saudis. It's not right, I know ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Cain
Straussian

Yeah, but why was he running? Was he in cahoots with The Man on the Roof Top?
Old 16th April 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

FYI, more on various misinformation on the bombing: http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/boston.asp
Old 16th April 2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

So should we send him to Gitmo for "questioning" or not?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
FYI, more on various misinformation on the bombing: http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/boston.asp
Well... that certainly shows some CTers to be tasteless as hell.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Huge fiasco today with CNN annoncing an arrest had been made,only to be refuted by the Justice Department about a half hour later.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wish I weren't racist, but I am prejudiced against Saudis. It's not right, I know ...
Racism is curable.

Are you planning on taking any steps to rid yourself of it?
Old 17th April 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Huge fiasco today with CNN annoncing an arrest had been made,only to be refuted by the Justice Department about a half hour later.
They keep finding new lows dont they? If they truly want to split the middle between MSNBC and Fox News they could go for a little edge in respectability, a kind of Jim Lehrer/BBC/intellectual kind of objective middle - instead of a trashy middle. Fact is there is a serious opening for a little more of an incisive, intellectually rigorous format for cable news given the field. They could double their investigative journalism department at the same time as everyone else is slashing theirs. They could re-instate the foreign bureaus and assets everyone else has shut down. The reason they should do this is no one else IS anymore...

See the thing about Trash TV with an agenda is the agenda sells the trash. I enjoy it more. I get a kick out of some Fox and MSNBC shows cause at least there's something being said now and again.

When all you have is trash and a desperate need to split the difference on every issue of controversy you end up with something that's near unwatchable. Wolf Blitzer is the empty-headed emblem of an empty-headed network.

I used to be able to have CNN on when I'm cooking or cleaning, but now I can't even manage that.
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
So should we send him to Gitmo for "questioning" or not?
Gitmo is an evil and unjustified stain upon our national reputation, and so long as Obama is president, no such thing will happen.

We'll just hit him with a drone-launched missile instead.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Gitmo is an evil and unjustified stain upon our national reputation, and so long as Obama is president, no such thing will happen.

We'll just hit him with a drone-launched missile instead.
Ouch
Old 18th April 2013, 05:10 AM   #15
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SKEPTICALSHAM View Post
He may not have done this bombing, but I bet he's done something.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 07:55 AM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Racism is curable.

Are you planning on taking any steps to rid yourself of it?
The people who realize they are racist but know it's wrong I'm less worried about, assuming they don't act on that racism.

It's the ones who claim to not be racist that concern me more.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics