ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Benghazi , Benghazi attack , Clinton conspiracies , terrorism incidents

Old 15th July 2015, 11:15 AM   #201
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
face palm. Look at those goalposts move!

1. Hillary discloses existence of previously unknown documents
2. Hillary belatedly turns over a portion of documents to State
3. State turns over what it claims are the Benghazi documents in its possession from the Hillary hoard in response to a Congressional Subpoena....
time passes
4. Through litigation in a FOIA dispute it is discovered that State did not turn over or otherwise disclose the existence of key emails relating to Benghazi.
5. State has not yet explained just what the **** it was thinking in burying those emails.

Seems to me that lying about the existence of documents is "wrongful."
Yes, State has explained exactly what the **** it was thinking in not disclosing those emails. As jhunter and I already pointed out:
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
From the link:
So State is claiming that these discussions are exempt from disclosure, and the law allows such exemptions.
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
yes, it is:
But exemptions from congressional subpoenas are a different matter.
State, however, is not claiming executive privilege in this case, but simply arguing that certain Benghazi-related documents constitute “important Executive Branch institutional interests” or should be withheld due to “executive branch confidentiality.” It has made such an argument during several Benghazi document productions, sources say.

Not sure where you think some goalposts moved ...
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 11:24 AM   #202
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, State has explained exactly what the **** it was thinking in not disclosing those emails. As jhunter and I already pointed out:

Not sure where you think some goalposts moved ...
Sigh, that is the filing in the FOIA lawsuit raising FOIA exceptions.

the Congressional Subpoena was not issued under FOIA.

As I noted, the State Department has not responded to TWO requests from the Select Committee why State has failed to disclose documents.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 11:49 AM   #203
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

face palm. Look at those goalposts move!

1. Hillary discloses existence of previously unknown documents
2. Hillary belatedly turns over a portion of documents to State
3. State turns over what it claims are the Benghazi documents in its possession from the Hillary hoard in response to a Congressional Subpoena....
time passes
4. Through litigation in a FOIA dispute it is discovered that State did not turn over or otherwise disclose the existence of key emails relating to Benghazi.
5. State has not yet explained just what the **** it was thinking in burying those emails.

Seems to me that lying about the existence of documents is "wrongful."
Just to followup on 16.5's points, if, in response to a subpoena, you wish to withhold documents based upon a claim of privilege, you still need to report the existence of those documents. In fact, you must provide a detailed list of withheld documents, and a precise claim of privilege must be cited for each document. Apparently, the State Department did not do this.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 11:57 AM   #204
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Just to followup on 16.5's points, if, in response to a subpoena, you wish to withhold documents based upon a claim of privilege, you still need to report the existence of those documents. In fact, you must provide a detailed list of withheld documents, and a precise claim of privilege must be cited for each document. Apparently, the State Department did not do this.
In fact the explicit instructions that accompany the subpoena do require a Privilege Log.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2015, 02:34 PM   #205
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Elderly Vet Gets Manhandled for Protesting Benghazi Fiasco

The headline says it all.

Elderly Vet gets what for from Obama supporters

Yikes.

-M. Avenatti
Old 23rd July 2015, 02:50 PM   #206
NoahFence
Banned

The headline says it all.

Elderly Vet gets what for from Obama supporters

Yikes.
LOL

That sure is a disclosure on Benghazi.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2015, 03:02 PM   #207
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Benghazi Committee to give the State Department a jump start

Washington, DC—The Benghazi Select Committee today announced Jon Finer has been called to appear for a hearing on Wednesday, July 29th on repeated State Department compliance failures.

Chairman Gowdy emphasized the reason for specifically calling Mr. Finer, saying, “Secretary Kerry early in the Committee’s infancy designated his Chief of Staff as the point person on this matter."

More details:

“The State Department has used every excuse to avoid complying with fundamental requests for documents,” Gowdy said. “Our Committee has tried asking personally. Our Committee has tried letter requests. Our Committee has tried public hearings with other agency employees. Our Committee has tried subpoenas. While the tactics tried have varied, the results have not. Our Committee is not in possession of all documents needed to do the work assigned to us. Even in the month of July, three separate transcribed interviews were postponed because the State Department could not produce the emails - even from a four month window - before the scheduled interviews took place.”

Gowdy also pointed out additional compliance issues recently brought to light, saying “It has become apparent, since I last spoke with Mr. Finer, that emails directly related to the Committee's jurisdiction, in fact unarguably related the Committee's jurisdiction, have been withheld by the Department.”

Kudos to the Benghazi Committee!

-M. Avenatti
Old 23rd July 2015, 04:16 PM   #208
NoahFence
Banned

The "Benghazi" committee stopped caring about Benghazi long ago. Take their cue.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2015, 05:38 PM   #209
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Where does this fascination come from anyway? You and I both know that it's not going to make a lick of difference.
That's a new disclosure?
LOL

That sure is a disclosure on Benghazi.
It's almost like a conspiracy!
I highlighted where we're going wrong here.

You don't matter. Nothing happening WRT Benghazi(!!!11!) or Cowbrew Homeboy servers or reporter herding is going to make a

lick
of
difference.
The "Benghazi" committee stopped caring about Benghazi long ago. Take their cue.
Yeah, I will just leave these posts here.

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by The Big Dog; 23rd July 2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Bump the thread again, Noah. Lol
Old 24th July 2015, 03:49 AM   #210
NoahFence
Banned

And...?
Old 24th July 2015, 03:53 AM   #211
wareyin
Philosopher

And...?
The irony of 16.5 trying to make "NoahFence" the subject of this thread is amusing.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 04:01 AM   #212
NoahFence
Banned

It stopped being about Benghazi a while ago. It's all about hillary.
Old 24th July 2015, 07:31 AM   #213
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

State Department Slow Walk of Documents Confirmed

eta: I am sorry, I meant to post this in a existing thread. I have already reported it and requested that it be merged.

Buried in the blizzard of articles about the bombshell disclosure that the inspector generals of the State Department and the Intelligence Service have requested that the Justice Department to begin a criminal investigation is the following disclosure:

Quote:
Some State Department officials said they believe that many senior officials did not initially take the House committee seriously, which slowed document production and created an appearance of stonewalling.

State Department officials also said that Mr. Kerry is concerned about the toll the criticism has had on the department and has urged his deputies to comply with the requests quickly.
NOW Kerry urges action? Avid readers of this thread know that i have been pointing out the slow walk for months.

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by The Big Dog; 24th July 2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 24th July 2015, 07:34 AM   #214
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I am sorry, I meant to post this in a existing thread. I have already reported it and requested that it be merged.

Mod InfoMerged at request of OP
Posted By:Loss Leader

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by Loss Leader; 24th July 2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 24th July 2015, 07:40 AM   #215
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Kerry should have gone with the "If you want us to do these extra tasks, give us more money" ploy instead.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 08:08 AM   #216
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

"I'm sorry, but Congress didn't give State a budget big enough to follow the law." ?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 08:20 AM   #217
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
"I'm sorry, but Congress didn't give State a budget big enough to follow the law." ?
State gets a Congressional Oversight Compliance budget. It's not tiny.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2015, 11:29 AM   #218
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
State gets a Congressional Oversight Compliance budget. It's not tiny.
BUT is it sufficient for State to comply with republicker's ongoing **** concerns that basically are trying to wreck Hillary and others by time and money wasting processes because they can't stand having a Black president!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2015, 08:51 AM   #219
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary to testify before Committee in October

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...nel-in-October

Headline says it all. No confirmation from Gowdy. Hard to believe that they would have her testify while she is refusing to turn over the server.

Have the Bookies opened a line on whether Hillary will take the Fifth?

-M. Avenatti
Old 25th July 2015, 09:04 AM   #220
NoahFence
Banned

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...nel-in-October

Headline says it all. No confirmation from Gowdy. Hard to believe that they would have her testify while she is refusing to turn over the server.

Have the Bookies opened a line on whether Hillary will take the Fifth?
I don't think you want this.
Old 25th July 2015, 10:47 AM   #221
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
I don't think you want this.
He most certainly does not want Clinton to testify publicly, for the same reason that Gowdy doesn't; public testimony makes out-of-context quote mining, spin, and distortion painfully obvious even to the most avid of readers.
Old 25th July 2015, 10:54 AM   #222
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
He most certainly does not want Clinton to testify publicly, for the same reason that Gowdy doesn't; public testimony makes out-of-context quote mining, spin, and distortion painfully obvious even to the most avid of readers.
"He"? Are you talking about me? I can speak for myself.

Of course I want her to answer questions in public and under oath.

That is because she sucks at it because she is a pathological liar.

Next time don't put words in my mouth

<snip>

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 11

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by Loss Leader; 26th July 2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 25th July 2015, 01:25 PM   #223
NoahFence
Banned

"He"? Are you talking about me? I can speak for myself.

Of course I want her to answer questions in public and under oath.

That is because she sucks at it because she is a pathological liar.

Next time don't put words in my mouth
Edited by zooterkin:  <snip>
Edited for moderated content.
The Benghazi committee is no longer interested in Benghazi. Only Hilliary. She will skewer those morons.

You people have paid millions of dollars and hundreds of man hours for this, and all you are going to get is maybe a sound byte that can be taken out of context, like "You didn't build that" and it's going to be fed to the idiot trolls until the election in next fall.

Nothing of substance will happen.

Last edited by zooterkin; 29th July 2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 25th July 2015, 02:05 PM   #224
plague311
Great minds think...

By far the most boring scandal that I have ever seen in my life. NoahFence is right, this stopped being about Benghazi forever ago, and it's been about smearing Hillary since this new "committee" started.

If they have all of this stuff saying that she's guilty (just ask sunmaster, he can't stop talking about how he's proven she's committed a crime and is guilty ), why haven't they done anything about it? Why hasn't anyone arrested Hillary? Why has nothing been done?

I get it, the right wing is butthurt about the Benghazi thing. It's become pathetically, laughably, and absurdly clear that they will never drop this. If I were actually working on the committee, or was part of the oversight for the committees, I would be outrageously pissed at the gross incompetence being paraded around with this new investigation. Here 16.5 and sunmaster have taken the time to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that she is guilty, and that she NEEDS to be in prison for her actions, yet their poster boys are doing jack **** about it. They are making no legal moves at all. They've just been pushing rope for the last year.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2015, 03:16 PM   #225
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
BUT is it sufficient for State to comply with republicker's ongoing **** concerns that basically are trying to wreck Hillary and others by time and money wasting processes because they can't stand having a Black president!!!!!
I'm not sure that Republican leadership can't stand Obama because he is black as much as they attempt to undermine him and disparage him because he is a Democrat. They aren't above using the fact that he is black and has an Islamic father to appeal to the racist and semi-racist part of their base. But I think, Republican leadership is far too practical and cynical to dislike Obama because he is black, if he was a Republican I think they'd be fine with him.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2015, 03:31 PM   #226
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
By far the most boring scandal that I have ever seen in my life. NoahFence is right, this stopped being about Benghazi forever ago, and it's been about smearing Hillary since this new "committee" started.

If they have all of this stuff saying that she's guilty (just ask sunmaster, he can't stop talking about how he's proven she's committed a crime and is guilty ), why haven't they done anything about it? Why hasn't anyone arrested Hillary? Why has nothing been done?

I get it, the right wing is butthurt about the Benghazi thing. It's become pathetically, laughably, and absurdly clear that they will never drop this. If I were actually working on the committee, or was part of the oversight for the committees, I would be outrageously pissed at the gross incompetence being paraded around with this new investigation. Here 16.5 and sunmaster have taken the time to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that she is guilty, and that she NEEDS to be in prison for her actions, yet their poster boys are doing jack **** about it. They are making no legal moves at all. They've just been pushing rope for the last year.
It is boring, yet here I am posting in this bizarro thread like a moth drawn to a light bulb. In most scandals, the people promoting the scandals have some fairly specific charges against the alleged baddies. This scandal is breaking new ground. All the specific charges have been shown to be conspiracy theory BS or routine errors that have long ago been admitted to, so what is left is a scandal where the promoters can't even verbalize specific ideas about what the evil Obama administration did wrong beyond what has been admitted to.

What the Republicans have resorted to is attempting to tie a real scandal about Clinton's emails to the fake Benghazi scandal. Is that approach working for them? There are two drivers for Republicans on this: 1. fire up the base with tales of evil Democrats and 2. Win a few moderates over to their side. Item 1 is clearly working. Item 2 might be a wash. They're gaining a few moderates at the same time they're losing a few moderates because they see the Republicans as childish partisans over all this.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2015, 08:15 AM   #227
C_Felix
Master Poster

Since Mr. Gowdy isn't falling lock-step in line with the republican narrative; some will claim the 'R' after his name stands for "Rino"

Quote:
“We haven’t seen any evidence of a crime,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), the chair of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, said Sunday about Hillary Clinton’s private email use during her service as Secretary of State.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6872498.html
Old 27th July 2015, 08:23 AM   #228
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Since Mr. Gowdy isn't falling lock-step in line with the republican narrative; some will claim the 'R' after his name stands for "Rino"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6872498.html
March 15, 2015. Thanks, timely.

-M. Avenatti
Old 27th July 2015, 08:36 AM   #229
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

The first set of subpoenaed documents shows that Hillary Clinton withheld documents regarding the benghazi attack.

Unbelievable.

I hope she withdraws from the race rather than being indicted for tampering with evidence.

Wow, what a day.
<1 month later> How is that indictment coming ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2015, 08:41 AM   #230
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

<1 month later> How is that indictment coming ?
Great timing!!!

There have been some developments, and because they are significantly broader than Benghazi, they are being discussed in the Clinton Emails thread.

protip: take a gander at my sig.

-M. Avenatti
Old 27th July 2015, 10:54 AM   #231
wareyin
Philosopher

Great timing!!!

There have been some developments, and because they are significantly broader than Benghazi, they are being discussed in the Clinton Emails thread.

protip: take a gander at my sig.
In other words, no developments on the indictment in question, but Republicans are now focused on a new phony scandal.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2015, 08:47 AM   #232
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Washington, DC—The Benghazi Select Committee today announced Jon Finer has been called to appear for a hearing on Wednesday, July 29th on repeated State Department compliance failures.

Chairman Gowdy emphasized the reason for specifically calling Mr. Finer, saying, “Secretary Kerry early in the Committee’s infancy designated his Chief of Staff as the point person on this matter."

More details:

“The State Department has used every excuse to avoid complying with fundamental requests for documents,” Gowdy said. “Our Committee has tried asking personally. Our Committee has tried letter requests. Our Committee has tried public hearings with other agency employees. Our Committee has tried subpoenas. While the tactics tried have varied, the results have not. Our Committee is not in possession of all documents needed to do the work assigned to us. Even in the month of July, three separate transcribed interviews were postponed because the State Department could not produce the emails - even from a four month window - before the scheduled interviews took place.”

Gowdy also pointed out additional compliance issues recently brought to light, saying “It has become apparent, since I last spoke with Mr. Finer, that emails directly related to the Committee's jurisdiction, in fact unarguably related the Committee's jurisdiction, have been withheld by the Department.”

Kudos to the Benghazi Committee!
And it worked, State suddenly finds another 5000 heretofore unknown documents relating to Benghazi.

and the DNC persist in claiming that this was totally investigated previously. Scout's honor!

Lets all hope the Select Committee keeps up the great work!

-M. Avenatti
Old 28th July 2015, 09:02 AM   #233
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I'm not sure that Republican leadership can't stand Obama because he is black as much as they attempt to undermine him and disparage him because he is a Democrat. They aren't above using the fact that he is black and has an Islamic father to appeal to the racist and semi-racist part of their base. But I think, Republican leadership is far too practical and cynical to dislike Obama because he is black, if he was a Republican I think they'd be fine with him.
Well, they do think that eight years with a demographically symbolic president is enough.

I just can't get enough of that quote.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2015, 06:03 AM   #234
NoahFence
Banned

OOh!!! A new disclosure!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Benghazi!1!!11 gets the hollywood treatment. Hillary as a bad guy, just like avid readers already know.

Should be full of idiotic 'Murican bravado.
Old 30th July 2015, 06:28 AM   #235
wareyin
Philosopher

OOh!!! A new disclosure!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Benghazi!1!!11 gets the hollywood treatment. Hillary as a bad guy, just like avid readers already know.

Directed by Michael Bay. Oh my FSM
Old 30th July 2015, 07:50 AM   #236
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary will testify on October 22

As confirmed by the Select Committee.

Clinton used a home-brewed email server for work instead of a State.gov account as is required under government transparency rules.

Hey Committee, maybe you want to actually get that homebrew server first so we don't have to go through this again??

-M. Avenatti
Old 30th July 2015, 08:06 AM   #237
NoahFence
Banned

As confirmed by the Select Committee.

Clinton used a home-brewed email server for work instead of a State.gov account as is required under government transparency rules.

Hey Committee, maybe you want to actually get that homebrew server first so we don't have to go through this again??
Who are you trying to kid?

We're going through this until either Hillary is behind bars, or the idiots in charge of this witch hunt have died from old age.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:20 AM   #238
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

OOh!!! A new disclosure!

I AGREE

Well, it seems to be an action film, so I doubt either Hillary or Obama will figure into it. Michael Bay must know that it would be pretty boring to watch Hillary deleting emails off of her homebrew server or watch Obama putting the finishing touches on his Las Vegas fundraising speech, so he'll probably just stick to stuff that had an effect on the men on the ground in Libya.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2015, 09:43 AM   #239
wareyin
Philosopher

Well, it seems to be an action film, so I doubt either Hillary or Obama will figure into it. Michael Bay must know that it would be pretty boring to watch Hillary deleting emails off of her homebrew server or watch Obama putting the finishing touches on his Las Vegas fundraising speech, so he'll probably just stick to stuff that had an effect on the men on the ground in Libya.
Or robots and explosions and overdone CGI.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:03 AM   #240
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder who is going to play hero/whistleblower Greg Hicks who came under such personal attacks in the early days of this thread.

-M. Avenatti

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics